ADVERTISEMENT

Who will break out to the Final 4 and when?

Great question and very interesting. 14 states have no mercy rule for 11 man football, Indiana and predictably Texas are two notable ones. Many recently implemented in the last 2-3 years like California. It seems most states that have 6/8 man football including ole Texas have one or similar for those teams. The rule does vary but basically it is either 35 or 40 point differential and varies from the beggining of the 2nd half or 4th Q. One more big variation like in Colorado and Kansas is once the differential is attained in the 2nd half even if drops below the point cutoff subsequently the running clock still goes. Virginia does not do that. The biggest gripe in Texas was the blowouts lets all players participate and that is good. However many agree that the injuries that occur between fresh and eager 2nd stringers and worn out starters on the other side is too risky. More than once in blowouts i have seen starters go down needlessly before the 2nd half. Of course that is the coaches call.we have a playoff system but some teams like the "prestige" of the big points.

I think this is Louisa's year or bust! they open the year against my Cougars who will be a bigger threat than last year. If Louisa tosses us aside by 3 scores or more then the sky's the limit for them. However, if it is a very close hard fought game which I am expecting, and Louisa pulls out the V, that will open the door for success to their season and propel them forwards. If Cougars were to pull the upset,I still would not count them out, as this is their best team since their state run 10 years or so ago.

I think this is Louisa's year or bust! they open the year against my Cougars who will be a bigger threat than last year. If Louisa tosses us aside by 3 scores or more then the sky's the limit for them. However, if it is a very close hard fought game which I am expecting, and Louisa pulls out the V, that will open the door for success to their season and propel them forwards. If Cougars were to pull the upset,I still would not count them out, as this is their best team since their state run 10 years or so ago.

Louisa has a few studs. I'd like to see them move to a more current offense but if it works it works. The jefferson district in itself is a bit of a riddle. I felt like the Jefferson district was full of quality teams (more so than other districts) but no one was elite. Makes for a real interesting regular season but what does that mean for the playoffs?

Louisa has a few studs. I'd like to see them move to a more current offense but if it works it works. The jefferson district in itself is a bit of a riddle. I felt like the Jefferson district was full of quality teams (more so than other districts) but no one was elite. Makes for a real interesting regular season but what does that mean for the playoffs?
I have to agree with you mbonape1. You know the battles I've had with Hoos, but I honestly respect the Louisa program. The Lions have fought hard against two very good teams (Hanover and Monacan) and come up on the short end in the playoffs the past two years.

If I remember correctly (maybe not) Hoos, seemed to express concerns about the o-line and d-backs coming back. There OOD schedule is not bad (traditionally good teams), but could come back to bite them if Chancellor or King George struggle this season. I look for the Lions to do what they do and do it well. They always put up the points and with some defensive consistency they will once again be in the mix.

The Metro Richmond/Fredericksburg Region will be sound, so losing more than one game could spell disaster. Based on their schedule and returning talent I look for Eastern View to run the table, so someone else is going to go undefeated to knock them out of the top seed. Honestly, if Louisa plays up to their potential and gets all the tough district wins they could be that team.

I have to agree with you mbonape1. You know the battles I've had with Hoos, but I honestly respect the Louisa program. The Lions have fought hard against two very good teams (Hanover and Monacan) and come up on the short end in the playoffs the past two years.

If I remember correctly (maybe not) Hoos, seemed to express concerns about the o-line and d-backs coming back. There OOD schedule is not bad (traditionally good teams), but could come back to bite them if Chancellor or King George struggle this season. I look for the Lions to do what they do and do it well. They always put up the points and with some defensive consistency they will once again be in the mix.

The Metro Richmond/Fredericksburg Region will be sound, so losing more than one game could spell disaster. Based on their schedule and returning talent I look for Eastern View to run the table, so someone else is going to go undefeated to knock them out of the top seed. Honestly, if Louisa plays up to their potential and gets all the tough district wins they could be that team.
I don't agree, but good post.

I don't agree, but good post.
I am not sure what you are disagreeing with, but I only see a few obstacles standing in Louisas way (Charlottesville, Powhatan and maybe Orange). The Jefferson District should be good, but this Lions team has the tools to run the table.

Smithfield and Salem could put Dinwiddie behind the eight ball quickly and with Dale, Meadowbrook and Matoaca all lined up in a row the Generals road is not easy.

Monacan has Bird, Manchester and James River to face in the district and could easily accrue two losses.

Maybe I should remind you how 2 losses put us against Monacan two years ago. Unfortunately, thats the way this region sets up. The best teams are not always seeded at the top. Think about the road last year and we had the highest seed. Courtland, Monacan, LT, and Lafayette. With the exception of Courtland any of those teams could have made it to the show.

I know people have sound arguments to dispute me, but getting into the region b playoffs and surviving is going to be tough.

Louisa, Monacan, Dinwiddie, EV, PH Ashland, Courtland, Powhatan and ????.
Not a cupcake in the bunch.

Well here is the thing. If Louisa has an elite team, shouldn't they go undefeated? Is Albemarle and Orange an elite or even playoff team if they were in the richmond 5A circut? If they aren't then Louisa should have a good chance at an undefeated regular season. If they are elite shouldn't they run the table given the schedule? Just curious...

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Lafayette has it right. It was only recently instituted, and should limit the blowouts somewhat. Most of the top West Virginia schools are rebuilding this year, except for Martinsburg which is peaking.

I've also just noticed Loudoun Valley's brutal opening three games: Martinsburg, @Stone Bridge, and @Sherando. Holy cow.
Wasn't Loudoun valley the school a few years ago that had parents or somebody complaining about playing up to the bigger schools? I can't remember the details but opening with those first two games is a brutal step up, I just wish we weren't the third team, because they might be ready for us by then. LV is a solid team and this year could be a sleeper , and be better than we all think. Remember they are 5 minutes away from Woodgrove and might be getting a little tired of all the hoopla around Woodgrove. I will pick LV as my sleeper team to be playoff ready in November and out of all those tough games , bet they win at least one of them. They won't beat neither of the dogs teams though , you can bet the house on that.

Wasn't Loudoun valley the school a few years ago that had parents or somebody complaining about playing up to the bigger schools? I can't remember the details but opening with those first two games is a brutal step up, I just wish we weren't the third team, because they might be ready for us by then. LV is a solid team and this year could be a sleeper , and be better than we all think. Remember they are 5 minutes away from Woodgrove and might be getting a little tired of all the hoopla around Woodgrove. I will pick LV as my sleeper team to be playoff ready in November and out of all those tough games , bet they win at least one of them. They won't beat neither of the dogs teams though , you can bet the house on that.

I can't say I'm all that well informed about the issue of playing up to other schools, but glancing over their schedule the past few years I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Loudoun Valley had a tough end to their season last year with losses to Woodgrove and Millbrook, but there's no shame in losing to either of them. I don't know what kind of a team Stone Bridge has this year, but the Martinsburg came could get ugly. They'd be a tough out even if we didn't have to play them immediately after those two.

I'm really looking forward to the Martinsburg game this year. It's developed into a nice rivalry over the past few years. Hope we can keep playing each other in the future as it's a great way of seeing how playoff ready we are.

I can't say I'm all that well informed about the issue of playing up to other schools, but glancing over their schedule the past few years I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Loudoun Valley had a tough end to their season last year with losses to Woodgrove and Millbrook, but there's no shame in losing to either of them. I don't know what kind of a team Stone Bridge has this year, but the Martinsburg came could get ugly. They'd be a tough out even if we didn't have to play them immediately after those two.

I'm really looking forward to the Martinsburg game this year. It's developed into a nice rivalry over the past few years. Hope we can keep playing each other in the future as it's a great way of seeing how playoff ready we are.

Stone bridge is certainly a stiff competitor to a 4A school almost any year. They are generally a top tier 5A-6A team.

Loudoun Valley High School fires varsity football coach Danny McGrath

By Tom Jackman August 29, 2014

Loudoun Valley on Friday afternoon fired football coach Danny McGrath. The school provided no reason for the move, continues to pay his coaching stipend and is allowing him to continue to teach at the school, his lawyer said.

On the advice of his attorney, William B. Reichhardt, McGrath declined to comment. Loudoun schools spokesman Wayde Byard confirmed that McGrath had been dismissed as coach, but not as a physical education teacher, and that state privacy laws prohibited him from discussing the reason why.

Angry parents of Loudoun Valley players said the move was retaliation for McGrath’s advocacy for safety for his players. “It was the standard witch hunt,” said Dee Howard, a member of the school’s football booster club. “I think he was fired because he spoke up for the athletes and for their safety.”

McGrath had actively pushed within the county’s athletic system last year for “safety scheduling,” arguing that his school, one of the smallest in Loudoun County, should not play much larger schools with more players. Loudoun officials felt the size difference between schools was not that great, that Valley didn’t play the largest schools in the county, and noted that Valley then won eight of its 10 regular season games.

When Valley competed in the postseason against schools in Division 3 — most Loudoun schools are classified as Division 4 or 5 — McGrath’s team rattled off three more wins before losing in the state semifinals.

Local Headlines newsletter

Daily headlines about the Washington region.

Brain Sentry offered to outfit the entire Valley team with impact sensors, to monitor when a particularly hard hit had been absorbed by a player’s helmet. McGrath and his coaches were directed to draw up protocols for the sensors, but the county did not approve their use before the season ended in December.

Brain Sentry and Inova Neuroscience Research then offered a joint proposal last spring to provide sensors to all of the football and lacrosse teams in Loudoun. County officials felt the devices were not sufficiently tested yet, might impact the safety certification of the helmets, and might cause players to be targeted by other teams. They declined the offer.

McGrath did not speak out on the sensors. But the parent booster club decided to buy a box of the sensors and apply them to the helmets themselves, which they did before the first contact practice earlier this month. An assistant principal stopped the practice and ordered anyone with sensors to sit out. McGrath then told the whole team to take their helmets off.

But the parents said they didn’t want to put McGrath in the middle of the dispute, and they removed the sensors within minutes.

McGrath was called in about 3:30 p.m. by Principal Susan Ross and handed a letter terminating him immediately as football coach, Reichhardt said. The letter said the coach would receive the full amount of his coaching stipend, about $5,200, and the letter would not be placed in his personnel file, Reichhardt said. The team’s season starts Friday with a home game against James Wood.

McGrath, 31, had been the head coach since 2008. He was a starting offensive lineman at Virginia Tech under Frank Beamer and was an All-Met lineman at Herndon High. After going 1-9 in McGrath’s first season, the Vikings were a combined 32-25 over the next five years.

Reichhardt said high school coaches are not entitled to the same due process as teachers, and can be fired almost at-will. But he said he had been representing McGrath since last year because “he was experiencing difficulties” with school administrators, which he declined to specify. “He was scared of losing his job,” Reichhardt said.

Looks like they straightened out that situation, I just don't think LV is ready for that much of a upgrade in schedule. Been wrong many times before though. The stone bridge and the Sherando game are away games for the also .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT