ADVERTISEMENT

Who will challenge for the D5 Title... and why?

springer76

VaPreps All District
Nov 21, 2008
Highland Springs, VA
Of course, I think HSHS will be the team to beat, with good reason. Only 3 of the 22 Starters from last years Title Team (14-1) graduated. Stable of strong runners, Stable of strong catchers, Returning 3,000yd. QB, The entire strong defense with size, strength and speed on both lines. Team Loaded!!!..... anybody else?

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
To answer your question..., nobody. Stamp the trophy with HSHS and let's talk about the other classes.

To answer your question..., nobody. Stamp the trophy with HSHS and let's talk about the other classes.
Come on now DP! I am trying to get somebody to talk on the D5 board! Stone Bridge! You out there? What cha got? Tusky? Broad Run? N. Stafford? Stafford? Hampton? Indian River? Salem?
How about Bird? HERM? MBK? Varina? Freeman?

You know how hard it is to get those guys to talk even during football season. Gee, they are all hanging out at their country clubs tonight, drinking some type of exotic drink. They probably all watched the French Open today.

Reactions: springer76
Come on now DP! I am trying to get somebody to talk on the D5 board! Stone Bridge! You out there? What cha got? Tusky? Broad Run? N. Stafford? Stafford? Hampton? Indian River? Salem?

I don't know who will challenge the Springers for the state title... as Ric Flair said, "to be the man you got to beat the man" and over the last three years that is easier said than done.

As it pertains to our region... I'm curious to see how the traditional powers look outside of the Springers...

LC Bird for example has some athletes and Coach Taylor is putting in the work to get the Skyhawks back to championship caliber. It might not come this season but I do think the Skyhawks will get back to being a threat to the Springers.

Hermitage, where do they go with the loss of Kane? Obviously there is still talent in the Panther program but if they couldn't get it done with Kane what makes us believe they can do so with Johnson? That's not a knock on Johnson, don't take that the wrong way but Kane without a doubt was one of the best coaches in the region hands down.

Varina, do they continue to climb back to that upper echelon? They lose some key guys to graduation but they seem to be getting back to having that pipeline of talent coming back where they don't rebuild but rather reload...

Henrico, this could be a sleeper I believe... They have some talent over there on Azalea Avenue and cannot be taken lightly.

These are the programs I'm most interested to see in Region 5B but obviously there will be a surprise team we don't see coming... there always is. Changes at Matoaca and Meadowbrook, will they get the programs back up? Lee-Davis could be interesting with their skilled position players back.

I agree with Ric Flair that Highland Springs is the clear favorite and expect a team from the Dulles to once again meet them in the final. The Potomac District has the best collection on QB and RB combinations that I have seen in a long time. All six of these guys are scholarship guys with tons of accolades already.

Broad Run: QB Griffis and RB Baldwin (JR's)
Stone Bridge: QB Tatum and RB Mell (SR's)
Tuscarora: QB Allen and RB West (SR's)

Stafford also returns an explosive backfield duo in
QB Smith and RB Armstead (SR's)

Last edited:
Dinwiddie starts a two year cycle with North Stafford in 2019. Any insight into what they might be like next year?

Varina will be very good this year. They have some horses. I think the JV team went 9-1 and feeder Rolfe was just as big as some varsity teams. They lose R.J. Coles, Steve Richardson, Six Pinchback, and big Andy Mathews, but there is still a lot of underclassmen talent...Remember this, they were all banged up against Bird last year and played a lot of freshmen and sophomores...Look at the results. Played Herm about as good as anyone in the second round with those same youngins. Don’t be surprised to see the Blue Devils play on up in November this year.

The class of 2020 is very very good for Varina, I believe they will be just as dangerous as HS. Just my opinion. Big, skilled, physical and a lot of speed. Watch out for the Messer RD Boyz the next 2-3 years. Could very well see 9-0 Varina vs. 9-0 Springs in early November for the next 3 years.

The class of 2020 is very very good for Varina, I believe they will be just as dangerous as HS. Just my opinion. Big, skilled, physical and a lot of speed. Watch out for the Messer RD Boyz the next 2-3 years. Could very well see 9-0 Varina vs. 9-0 Springs in early November for the next 3 years.

Would love to see 9-0 versus 9-0. Reminds me of the good old years of the rivalry.

Would love to see 9-0 versus 9-0. Reminds me of the good old years of the rivalry.
We’re all hoping! HS will be scary good the next 3 years..I’d love to see the East End battle it out for the Region. I’m not saying Varina will overtake Springs, but guys like sophomores WR/CB Isaiah Paige, LB Nas Jordan, WR/CB James Reid, WR Floyd Jones, big Alonzo Ford OL/DL ,and big Jermaine Boone DL (2019) make Varina more than formidable in 5a. All of these guys are D1/D2 players and the cupboard is far from bare. It’ll be a very fun ride for East End football.

Honestly there will be lots of good football played in 5a in the 804 but ultimately HSHS May have their most loaded team in program history and they got the Hermitage transfer... Geeesh. Maybe a team from NOVA or 757 can become a challenge. I think Varina is the only team in 5a from Richmond that stands a chance to dethrone the springers but I think those chances are 25% tops. I do think Bird will be pretty good but I don’t see them being able to beat springs yet. @springer76 see if coach will schedule a scrimmage with Life Christian over in Chester!

Honestly there will be lots of good football played in 5a in the 804 but ultimately HSHS May have their most loaded team in program history and they got the Hermitage transfer... Geeesh. Maybe a team from NOVA or 757 can become a challenge. I think Varina is the only team in 5a from Richmond that stands a chance to dethrone the springers but I think those chances are 25% tops. I do think Bird will be pretty good but I don’t see them being able to beat springs yet. @springer76 see if coach will schedule a scrimmage with Life Christian over in Chester!
His scrimmages since he has been at HS has been a team from NOVA and Thomas Dale. His first few years we had Colonial Forge and TD ... Now, in the past 4 years or so, it's been North Stafford and TD. This year it's N. Stafford and TD again. Currently, they are on a tare! Nobody has beaten them in 7v7 yet and Jennings appears to be a beast! QB Waller was good last year in his Debut year, he's grown.... he's stronger.... that arm is a cannon..... and he is a beast too. That backfield will be 2nd to none!

Last edited:
Springers, Varina will have a very very good QB this year in Isaiah Paige..Remember the name. Was offered by Hampton last month and is only a rising junior. Can throw the ball with either hand and is very skilled. Was hurt for most of the year last year.. Will definitely add another dynamic to that offense as you know the Blue Devils had a combined 9 turnovers against Springs and Herm last November. I believe he’ll be an All State caliber kid before it’s all over.

Springers, Varina will have a very very good QB this year in Isaiah Paige..Remember the name. Was offered by Hampton last month and is only a rising junior. Can throw the ball with either hand and is very skilled. Was hurt for most of the year last year.. Will definitely add another dynamic to that offense as you know the Blue Devils had a combined 9 turnovers against Springs and Herm last November. I believe he’ll be an All State caliber kid before it’s all over.
I'll remember the name! I really do hope Varina will be good! That show needs to come back to fruition again!!! I see that Varina's student numbers has them very close to becoming class 4... The changes coming next cycle are interesting.... Manchester moving to Class 5 (and Clover Hill). Lee Davis going to Class 4.

His scrimmages since he has been at HS has been a team from NOVA and Thomas Dale. His first few years we had Colonial Forge and TD ... Now, in the past 4 years or so, it's been North Stafford and TD. This year it's N. Stafford and TD again. Currently, they are on a tare! Nobody has beaten them in 7v7 yet and Jennings appears to be a beast! QB Waller was good last year in his Debut year, he's grown.... he's stronger.... that arm is a cannon..... and he is a beast too. That backfield will be 2nd to none!

Must be nice!!

Springers offensivebackfield is extremely loaded. Last years star rbs McKeiver and Rayshawn Smith are back, but remember these 3 names. 250lb. Tail back Dreshaun Taylor, 220 rb/fb Ahmad Foster Powell and speedster Kali Bradford.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
It will be some Comp in D5 in this region. Only question is who's going to be 2nd. HsHs is the King on the throne. But i like those guys because they stay calm and don't talk trash. With that being said all that talent that is still there coming up through the JV program. Baring there own lack of will for a State Title run for the next 4 years we are looking at some Hampton High type run from the past!!

It will be some Comp in D5 in this region. Only question is who's going to be 2nd. HsHs is the King on the throne. But i like those guys because they stay calm and don't talk trash. With that being said all that talent that is still there coming up through the JV program. Baring there own lack of will for a State Title run for the next 4 years we are looking at some Hampton High type run from the past!!

Stone Bridge............................Stone Bridge......................Stone Bridge...............

Tuscarora, Stone Bridge, and Broad Run will certainly be strong again and beat up on each other in the regular and post season. Three terrific QB’s and TB’s that make game planning difficult. It will be interesting how Massapponax has progressed. They started a ton of youngsters last year. Look at their early season matchup with Woodgrove as a measure of their growth. If they handle what will be a good Wolverines squad, they may be a force to be reckoned with.

Stacked teams do not always prevail (HSHS). It will be interesting to see how the season progresses. Do not sleep on Stone Bridge just yet!

Stacked teams do not always prevail (HSHS). It will be interesting to see how the season progresses. Do not sleep on Stone Bridge just yet!
Exactly! Stone Bridge last year for instance!
HSHS was loaded with Sophomores and Juniors last year. Guess what, they are all back!
Henrico will be good this year. I would never count out SB, just because they always field VERY GOOD teams.

Y'all need to read up on I. River, Braves.

https://virginiapreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/indian-river-loading-up-for-run-in-2018.56440/

Recruit757.com has been focusing on them this summer. I'd say they're loading up a lot of talent. For them, like many teams, it'll come down to the conditioning & power of their OL/DL. The big games they've lost to O. Smith over the years has been due to their lineman conditioning issues.

Obviously, HS knows what it takes to get it done in the trenches. 2018 will be no different, to be the man, ya gotta beat the man!

Exactly! Stone Bridge last year for instance!
HSHS was loaded with Sophomores and Juniors last year. Guess what, they are all back!
Henrico will be good this year. I would never count out SB, just because they always field VERY GOOD teams.

However the season turns out my hope is that these young men get the opportunity to play at the next level. I definitely wish HSHS well and if SB plays the way I know they can we should see you again in December!

However the season turns out my hope is that these young men get the opportunity to play at the next level. I definitely wish HSHS well and if SB plays the way I know they can we should see you again in December!
I do follow SB during the season and I too wish The Bulldogs well and for a great season too!!! Having met twice, should we meet again, this could become a very good rivalry!!

Dinwiddie,
North Stafford will be down abit the next two years you guys get them.
North Stafford looks to be pretty good this year! Good QB play and Devyn Ford.... All they need to do is tighten up their O line and the offense will be hard to stop! The carry a stout Defense too..
I think you are talking about Stafford HS. They will be down a bit this year.

North Stafford looks to be pretty good this year! Good QB play and Devyn Ford.... All they need to do is tighten up their O line and the offense will be hard to stop! The carry a stout Defense too..

I definitely agree! Good QB and RB performances will anchor their offense. Defenses will need to remember their keys and not over pursue. Only 2 more weeks until the 2018 season begins.

1987 was saying North will be down starting next year, which is when Dinwiddie plays them. But Dinwiddie may be a little down next year as well so those should still be great games.

1987 was saying North will be down starting next year, which is when Dinwiddie plays them. But Dinwiddie may be a little down next year as well so those should still be great games.
North might not be as down as many may think. Yeah they lose Ford but return some other good underclassmen

Reactions: mbonape1
I can tell you who will not win Class 5. LC Bird and Henrico. Henricos offense is damn good and their qb can throw it. Was impressed with their big back as well. Defense, not so impressive.

LC Bird has some solid talent at wide receiver and rb. Was not impressed with their defense or qb. I like the LC Bird coach a lot, but unfortunately he is just a puppet. Bedwell needs to decide if he is going to coach or be the AD. He was right on the middle of it all. This team will never progress as long as the players are confused about who is in charge.

Lastly, forgive me for whinning, but why do the Bird coaches continue to teach blocking down, below the waist. On their first play their tackle wrecked their own guards knee then later the same kid possibly ruined our promising junior d linemans season with a block from the side while he was engaged. Just bull shit football and no call. You cant touch the head, but the refs are scared to call a freaking blindside below the waist block.

Last edited:
Yep, I was there too! Troy Taylor appeared to be an assistant coach today. Bird can run the ball, but has no passing game at all! While playing Henrico, the qb threw 2 passes. Both were intercepted. Defense was ok, not great.

Henrico has talent on the field, but at times they were their own worse enemy. I counted 33 players on the field, they have no depth what so ever! Highland Springs will wear them down and have them for dinner! Bad attitudes all through this squad will not help them either! As far as who won today?
Dinwiddie won both Henrico 21-14 and Bird 14-7. 2-0
Henrico and Bird was 7-7 tie. Both were 0-1-1.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see who meets HS in the Region Championship. I tell you one thing, Manchester heads down Route 5 to play Varina next Thursday and I’m hearing big things out of Blue Devil camp. Refuse to say that they’ll beat Springs but they return A LOT of guys who whipped up on Bird last November and young guys were thrown into spots due to injuries. I think Thursday against Manchester will show you all that they are the second best 5a team in the area. Stu Brown said it on the news the other day and I’ll say it too..Isaiah Paige is the best player in the Region. Started as a freshman and was banged up last year as a sophomore and still managed to pull in D1 offers this offseason. Had a very good spring/summer. Greg Dortch like playmaking abilities, which is something you just don’t throw out there unless they’re the REAL DEAL! Huge lines led by 2020 6’3 275 Alonzo Ford (HE’S A DOG!), size and speed all over the place! East End Football will reign supreme for the next 3 to 5 years in Richmond 5a Football.

Will be interesting to see who meets HS in the Region Championship. I tell you one thing, Manchester heads down Route 5 to play Varina next Thursday and I’m hearing big things out of Blue Devil camp. Refuse to say that they’ll beat Springs but they return A LOT of guys who whipped up on Bird last November and young guys were thrown into spots due to injuries. I think Thursday against Manchester will show you all that they are the second best 5a team in the area. Stu Brown said it on the news the other day and I’ll say it too..Isaiah Paige is the best player in the Region. Started as a freshman and was banged up last year as a sophomore and still managed to pull in D1 offers this offseason. Had a very good spring/summer. Greg Dortch like playmaking abilities, which is something you just don’t throw out there unless they’re the REAL DEAL! Huge lines led by 2020 6’3 275 Alonzo Ford (HE’S A DOG!), size and speed all over the place! East End Football will reign supreme for the next 3 to 5 years in Richmond 5a Football.
Is Manchester a scrimmage?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT