ADVERTISEMENT

Who Wins: Highland Springs vs. Manchester

Manchester vs. Highland Springs Who Wins?

• Manchster

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Highland Springs

Votes: 17 73.9%

• Total voters

BleedingNavy

VaPreps All District
Dec 4, 2013
Tough early season contest. East End Henrico vs. Chesterfield. Let's get ready to rumble. Highland Springs is 1-0 after defeating Miramar. Coach Hall has a formidable team, but will they live up to the hype.

Tough early season contest. East End Henrico vs. Chesterfield. Let's get ready to rumble. Highland Springs is 1-0 after defeating Miramar. Coach Hall has a formidable team, but will they live up to the hype.
I think Manchester will have a good team but they won't have anything that HSHS hasn't seen before. Teams like Manchester and Thomas Dale will continue to struggle against top tier programs like HSHS and Freedom come playoff time because they don't put teams on their schedule in the regular season to push them to their limits. If you take HSHS off Manchester schedule this year or even last year schedule then who do they play that's worth mentioning. You can't say the same for HSHS because Maury and Miramar are 2 top tier programs that will push HSHS. Take Dinwiddie off of Thomas Dale schedule this year and who do they play that will push them. Manchester struggled against Western Branch last year in the playoffs at home and Freedom beat the brakes off of Western Branch.

Gimme the Tom Hall boyz. Gonna be a big time game/atmosphere on Friday night on Airport. I like LJ in the rematch.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
I have watched video of two Highland Springs scrimmages and a regular season game. To date, the my only assessed weakness or dent in the Highland Springs defense is their possible susceptibility to the inside power running game. Dinwiddie, Thomas Dale, and Miramar had some success running between the tackles. The Springers defense has decent size and speed. The linebackers and defensive backs are surely their bread and butter. I don't see Manchester having a lot of success through the air or running outside of the tackles. Do the Lancers have a decent inside running game? If so they may be able to move the chains and even provide opportunities in the passing game. I admittedly know very little about Manchester, but what I do know is the Springers have at least three backs who platoon and each are as good as the other. Henley is one of the most electric players I have seen in some time and Manchester better have an answer for him. He can run it and catch it with lightening speed. I have been a bit critical of Martin in the past, but he showed a lot of poise, toughness and a strong arm against Miramar. I have the Springers in this one. @mbonape1, @BoKnowsSports, or anyone else who may have the skinny on Manchester please provide me some specifics on why I am wrong and the Lancers can compete with the Springers in this game.

Gimme the Tom Hall boyz. Gonna be a big time game/atmosphere on Friday night on Airport. I like LJ in the rematch.
This will be Manchester’s first game and HSHS second game. Expect Manchester to make 1st game mistakes, HSHS made plenty of 1st game mistakes against Miramar, game shouldn't have been that close.

Reactions: mbonape1
I have watched video of two Highland Springs scrimmages and a regular season game. To date, the my only assessed weakness or dent in the Highland Springs defense is their possible susceptibility to the inside power running game. Dinwiddie, Thomas Dale, and Miramar had some success running between the tackles. The Springers defense has decent size and speed. The linebackers and defensive backs are surely their bread and butter. I don't see Manchester having a lot of success through the air or running outside of the tackles. Do the Lancers have a decent inside running game? If so they may be able to move the chains and even provide opportunities in the passing game. I admittedly know very little about Manchester, but what I do know is the Springers have at least three backs who platoon and each are as good as the other. Henley is one of the most electric players I have seen in some time and Manchester better have an answer for him. He can run it and catch it with lightening speed. I have been a bit critical of Martin in the past, but he showed a lot of poise, toughness and a strong arm against Miramar. I have the Springers in this one. @mbonape1, @BoKnowsSports, or anyone else who may have the skinny on Manchester please provide me some specifics on why I am wrong and the Lancers can compete with the Springers in this game.
The Springers inside and outside run defense is strong. I didn't get a chance to go to the Dinwiddie scrimmage but I did go to the Dale scrimmage and the Miramar game. Dale was not successful running the ball but did have some success with the qb scrambling and throwing off cue throws. However their starting offense only managed to score 1 td off a perfect dime throw. We were leading Dale 14-7 before they put their 2nd team in the 2nd half. Miramar scored their 1st td on a short field due to a muffed punt in the 1st quarter, I didn't really blame the defense for that. However the defense locked Miramar offense down and only managed to give up one more td late in the 4th quarter. We had a couple fumbles in the red zone but we moved the ball effortlessly throughout the game on Miramar and should have beat them by 3 tds.

The Manchester talk sounds good and Manchester has a young talented team but like I said before the season started, Maury will be HSHS toughest competition during the regular season. Maury matches up well on both sides off the ball with HS, they have the redemption chip on their shoulders, good coaches, and the game is in Norfolk.

The Springers inside and outside run defense is strong. I didn't get a chance to go to the Dinwiddie scrimmage but I did go to the Dale scrimmage and the Miramar game. Dale was not successful running the ball but did have some success with the qb scrambling and throwing off cue throws. However their starting offense only managed to score 1 td off a perfect dime throw. We were leading Dale 14-7 before they put their 2nd team in the 2nd half. Miramar scored their 1st td on a short field due to a muffed punt in the 1st quarter, I didn't really blame the defense for that. However the defense locked Miramar offense down and only managed to give up one more td late in the 4th quarter. We had a couple fumbles in the red zone but we moved the ball effortlessly throughout the game on Miramar and should have beat them by 3 tds.
@Thomasddev, are you saying Miramar didn't have any success running the ball up the middle?

I have the Springers winning. I was more curious to hear why some believe Manchester will win. I am a huge HSHS fan, but I do find it interesting that you downplay the Springers muffed punt, but fail to mention Miramar had a bad QB snap which led to a TD and a bad snap on a punt giving the Springers decent field position. That's the breaks of football and more importantly the Springers left Florida the winner. I am not sure what game you saw, but I didn't see total domination.

Reactions: springer76
The Manchester talk sounds good and Manchester has a young talented team but like I said before the season started, Maury will be HSHS toughest competition during the regular season. Maury matches up well on both sides off the ball with HS, they have the redemption chip on their shoulders, good coaches, and the game is in Norfolk.
The atmosphere in Norfolk for that game is going to be CRAZY. Should be a top game in the state all year.

Reactions: Agibbs757
@BleedingNavy I have Springs.. Manchester needs to climb that last rung of the ladder once before I start picking them over HS. Not an indictment on Manchester by any means but you gotta show me you can beat the big dog first. Agree that it is also the first game for Manchester and Springs is likely more tuned up. I got Springs by 2 scores. Manchester sophomore QB will have to be the clear and obvious best player on the field for Manchester to win and I’m not willing to go there right now

I have the Springers winning. I was more curious to hear why some believe Manchester will win. I am a huge HSHS fan, but I do find it interesting that you downplay the Springers muffed punt, but fail to mention Miramar had a bad QB snap which led to a TD and a bad snap on a punt giving the Springers decent field position. That's the breaks of football and more importantly the Springers left Florida the winner. I am not sure what game you saw, but I didn't see total domination.
Actually,both teams had a muff by the punter. Both teams scored following it. HS’s was a 15 yd punt in their own end,but the punter from Miramar never got his punt off. Miramar QB did muff a snap,but HS still had to drive 60yds to get in the end zone following it. Not a quick strike but a solid drive finished off in the red zone by the HS RB. HS outgained Miramar by over 100yds in the game. Miramar got out coached. Johnson used his defensive depth brilliantly,and it payed off in the second half. They gave up some yardage in the middle,but HS shut it down when they HAD to. Martin’s WRs had a few bad drops that would have made the score a little more convincing,but a W down there is all that matters.

Reactions: springer76
@Thomasddev, are you saying Miramar didn't have any success running the ball up the middle?
Not saying that, Miramar had sucess running the ball up the middle in the 4th quarter but quarters 1-3 they were not overly successful running the ball. They only managed to score 7 points in first 3 quarters and the 1st td they scored came from HSHS muffins the point at their 15 yard line.

I never said total domination but I was at the game and we were up 20-7 in the 3rd quarter and heading to score another td when our sophomore rb fumbled the ball at 10 yard line. That would have put us up 26-7 in the 3rd quarter. Not domination but we were able to sustain more longer drives than miramar. Our wrs were open often as well but dropped a few costly receptions. All these things will get cleaned up as the season goes on.

The atmosphere in Norfolk for that game is going to be CRAZY. Should be a top game in the state all year.
Yes I just saw the Maury coaches talking about that game on the Ballinva podcast and they said that game has been circled on their calendar all off season and the DC said he cannot retire from coaching until he beats HSHS, he said he feels like a kid that had his ball stolen and " I want my ball back". 😆 🤣 😂

Again @HooSprings and @Thomasddev I am not being critical of your Springers. It was the first game and I clearly said "some" success running the ball. Every team needs work and if I was coaching against this Springer defense I would pound the rock at them and keep their offense off the field. Not taking shots, just talking football. In my opinion Manchester has one chance and that's to keep Martin, Henley, and their plethora of backs off the field. 28-7 Springers.

Not saying that, Miramar had sucess running the ball up the middle in the 4th quarter but quarters 1-3 they were not overly successful running the ball. They only managed to score 7 points in first 3 quarters and the 1st td they scored came from HSHS muffins the point at their 15 yard line.
They really weren’t able to move the ball without “our help”. One taunting call and once on a pass interference call that was intercepted too. The transfer DE from Hermitage showed he’s gonna be a problem! Especially when Joshua had to be triple teamed. Those dudes are a menace!

Again @HooSprings and @Thomasddev I am not being critical of your Springers. It was the first game and I clearly said "some" success running the ball. Every team needs work and if I was coaching against this Springer defense I would pound the rock at them and keep their offense off the field. Not taking shots, just talking football. In my opinion Manchester has one chance and that's to keep Martin, Henley, and their plethora of backs off the field. 28-7 Springers.
I wasn’t refuting your statement about the Miramar running game,but the DL shut it down when it had to. Someone will have to find out how to consistently quick strike that back 7. They are big & fast. When they add Henley as an 8th Db on “absolute” passing downs,it’s even tougher

@HooSprings, I said that in my original post. Nobody in the state has a back seven as talented as Highland Springs. You can't go around them period. Too talented, too fast and too well coached. Everybody knows the talent the Springers have. All I ask is you give teams credit when they play you well. Not every score against your defense is self inflicted. Miramar played you tough all night.

Most of us on here would love to have the influx and pipeline of talent HSHS has at their disposal. Therefore, fairly or unfairly we expect the Springers to act/play the part. I am extremely proud of HSHS for getting a huge out of state win, but I would bet my house that Coach Johnson raised some hell about the sloppy play the Springers displayed at times.

Last edited:
@HooSprings, I said that in my original post. Nobody in the state has a back seven as talented as Highland Springs. You can't go around them period. Too talented, too fast and too well coached. Everybody knows the talent the Springers have. All I ask is you give teams credit when they play you well. Not every score against your defense is self inflicted. Miramar played you tough all night.

Most of us on here would love to have the influx and pipeline of talent HSHS has at their disposal. Therefore, fairly or unfairly we expect the Springers to act/play the part. I am extremely proud of HSHS for getting a huge out of state win, but I would bet my house that Coach Johnson raised some hell about the sloppy play the Springers displayed at times.
They were a mirror image of us

Final: HS 41 Manchester 35. What a game! it was tied 35-35 with about 3 minutes to play. Springers connected on a 60 yd td play to go ahead 41-35 and was able to hold a strong Manchester bid in check! Go Springers!

Was a great game and I was impressed with Manchester even though they came up short
I was impressed with both teams overcoming some bad early season mistakes. Let’s see how HS turns to this week. They got banged up pretty bad late in the 4th qtr. I’m hoping 2 of the 3 RBs can return and hoping Varner is finally ready to play next week. I definitely don’t see one of those running backs returning next week. I’m actually just hoping he returns this yr.

Congrats on a hard fought win @HooSprings. Although it was a bit sloppy enjoy it. Do you remember me raising some concerns about a certain weakness and you basically shrugging it off. Coach Johnson needs shore up that problem fast. For all the strengths the Springers possess defending the middle/power running game almost bit them in the arse! I am a coaches son. I never assess teams on their strengths. Instead I to try and figure out how their weaknesses can be exploited. HSHS have very few. Go get Maury this weekend.

Congrats on a hard fought win @HooSprings. Although it was a bit sloppy enjoy it. Do you remember me raising some concerns about a certain weakness and you basically shrugging it off. Coach Johnson needs shore up that problem fast. For all the strengths the Springers possess defending the middle/power running game almost bit them in the arse! I am a coaches son. I never assess teams on their strengths. Instead I to try and figure out how their weaknesses can be exploited. HSHS have very few. Go get Maury this weekend.
If they are going to face a college RB every game like the first 2,then it’s a weakness. If I’m correct,Dobbins has already committed and the RB from Miramar holds 7 FCS offers. Dobbins didn’t “sniff” the end zone til the 4th qtr. The Miramar RB scored on a short field and didn’t threaten again until the 4th qtr.

HS isn’t gonna give up 2 scores in the punting game very game very often,so I like our chances down the road. Not gonna see a better QB than Abernathy the rest of the way either. The bigger concern to me is losing all 3 RBs late 4th qtr.,and the 4th is still in street clothes.

We’ll see how we do with Maury

It's not just about Star running backs. Manchester ran for over 150 yards. I have no clue what techniques HSHS teaches or employs in the trenches, but it has been very successful in the past. Just see some minor things in the interior line which are causing some issues. Again the back seven are pretty darn special, so for the most part the defense isn't getting consistently gashed. I am not trying to be overly critical. I want the 804 to represent. I can tell you Coach Hall will not go away from the power running game next time.

It's not just about Star running backs. Manchester ran for over 150 yards. I have no clue what techniques HSHS teaches or employs in the trenches, but it has been very successful in the past. Just see some minor things in the interior line which are causing some issues. Again the back seven are pretty darn special, so for the most part the defense isn't getting consistently gashed. I am not trying to be overly critical. I want the 804 to represent. I can tell you Coach Hall will not go away from the power running game next time.
Tbh, the power running game was not the problem last night, it was the short dink and dunk passes. Yes Manchester did run the ball a little, but the major issue was the mishandling of snaps by the qb, fumble exchange with the qb and rb, and 2 critical mishaps on special teams that resulted in tds. Trust me those issues will be cleaned up by playoff time. My biggest concern has been one that has been with HSHS for a couple of years and it is the conservative play calling in the later quarters, Coach LJ is one helluva coach, but it does not seem he likes to put teams away when he has the opportunity. The one thing I can say about Maury and Freedom they Stay aggressive for the entire game whether they are up by 4 or 40. Last night coach LJ conservatism almost came back to bite him in the arse.

Tbh, the power running game was not the problem last night, it was the short dink and dunk passes. Yes Manchester did run the ball a little, but the major issue was the mishandling of snaps by the qb, fumble exchange with the qb and rb, and 2 critical mishaps on special teams that resulted in tds. Trust me those issues will be cleaned up by playoff time. My biggest concern has been one that has been with HSHS for a couple of years and it is the conservative play calling in the later quarters, Coach LJ is one helluva coach, but it does not seem he likes to put teams away when he has the opportunity. The one thing I can say about Maury and Freedom they Stay aggressive for the entire game whether they are up by 4 or 40. Last night coach LJ conservatism almost came back to bite him in the arse.
We must’ve watched 2 different Freedom teams then cause Thursday they weren’t aggressive in that 2nd half at all! Varina was the clear aggressor. Once the Blue Devils realized they could play with Freedom it was over. Too many turnovers in the red zone is the only reason for the loss

We must’ve watched 2 different Freedom teams then cause Thursday they weren’t aggressive in that 2nd half at all! Varina was the clear aggressor. Once the Blue Devils realized they could play with Freedom it was over. Too many turnovers in the red zone is the only reason for the loss
Nawh, we watched the same game but our definition of aggressive may differ. When I say aggressive they were still throwing the ball instead of just running the ball being conservative and trying to run the time down. I believe they got a little too aggressive at times because they ended up throwing 2 pick 6 in the 2nd half. If it was HSHS they would have went to a power run game in the 2nd half looking to nurse the lead until time ran out.

Reactions: General172011
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT