ADVERTISEMENT

Who would host state semi-finals next week?

VolNation85

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 29, 2013
If both Heritage and LB win, who would host the state semifinals? Both finished the regular season with 29.9 power points. What would be the tie-breaker?

If both Heritage and LB win, who would host the state semifinals? Both finished the regular season with 29.9 power points. What would be the tie-breaker?

I read somewhere that the Northside LB winner would be at home for state semi game...but you never know with a newspaper lol

Maybe someone from one of these schools would know for sure

I read somewhere that the Northside LB winner would be at home for state semi game...but you never know with a newspaper lol

I do know that the team with the highest power points gets to host but I’m not sure what the first tie breaker is. If Northside wind then it’s nothing to worry about because they have more power point than Heritage and Liberty but Heritage and LB are tied.

I would assume because heritage has a better record they would host. I'm interested in finding this out too now that we know Lb will play heritage.

yeah I heard the Lynchburg paper said heritage had home field throughout, but we know that was never true because they were always gonna have to go to Northside if Northside had won .I never trust a paper.

Is that is a shot at Ben or just how unreliable the info is likely to be at the moment?

Is that is a shot at Ben or just how unreliable the info is likely to be at the moment?
Definitely not a shot at Ben. He and I are actually good friends. Just saying that social media isn’t always 100% reliable. Especially when there is a complicated tie breaker system involved.

I would think the tie-breaker would go to team record or common opponents. If it’s better record then, HHS would host but if it’s common opponents then LB would host since they beat Northside and HHS lost to Northside. Who knows!

If Northside had won, they would have hosted. If LB had won and Liberty won, LB would host.

Ok....just saying what I saw in paper

Don't think it matters where game is played though
I think absolutely matters where it is played. City Stadium has turf, LB has grass. A turf field is in HHS advantage, a grass field is in LB advantage.

Per VHSL tie-breaking procedures:

(a) The Rating Scale-Considering all regular season games played against
public and non-public Virginia schools and scheduled in accordance with the provisions of
68-4-6.
(b) The winner of any games between the two tied teams if only the tied
teams are involved. If more than two teams tied, and one of the tied teams beat all other
tied teams, that team shall advance.
(c) The team with the better record against all common opponents.

Meaning Lord Botetourt would host because they were 2-1 against Northside and William Fleming. Heritage was 1-1 against Northside and William Fleming.

Reactions: VolNation85

public and non-public Virginia schools and scheduled in accordance with the provisions of
68-4-6.
teams are involved. If more than two teams tied, and one of the tied teams beat all other

Meaning Lord Botetourt would host because they were 2-1 against Northside and William Fleming. Heritage was 1-1 against Northside and William Fleming.

That's what I thought but wasn't going to argue with anyone over it

68-4-6.

Thanks Mike! I searched and searched for this but couldn’t find it. But that’s what I figured it was.

Reactions: mike salem
I'm really confused as to why the tie breaker wouldn't be overall record. That makes zero sense but it is the vhsl so I guess it's to be expected.

LB lost it's first game against Northside as did Heritage. Difference is Heritage wasnt given another opportunity to play Northside though. Also I bekbeli if this is the tie breaker then only one of the regular season games should count .Just not fair to a team that went undeafeated in the Seminole and handled business at home throughout the playoffs.

LB lost it's first game against Northside as did Heritage. Difference is Heritage wasnt given another opportunity to play Northside though. Also I bekbeli if this is the tie breaker then only one of the regular season games should count .Just not fair to a team that went undeafeated in the Seminole and handled business at home throughout the playoffs.
I could be wrong, this is just my interpretation of the rules. They would have been common opponents on both occasions so I don't know how the VHSL will interpret this. If I'm wrong I'll fix it. I have no dog in this fight.

Reactions: Killingmesmalls
In the past when teams played opponents twice during the regular season only one of the games counted and it was normally the first game. I definitely don't see the playoff game counting. In my opinion I don't see how heritage doesn't host, but you are correct Mike it is up to how the vhsl interpret it's rules .time will tell .

Does anyone know if LB and Northside we're scheduled for two regular season games or did rainouts cause them to play a makeup game against one another?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT