ADVERTISEMENT

Who's the favorites for 2017?

Glass has not been good for 25 years let everybody sleep. It doesn't matter if they started more freshmen than seniors or that they have one of the best coaches in the state.
How many freshmen did they start?

I didn't know they lost that many close games. Thanks for the insight.

Yup, but no worries. They still need to show something on defense to compete for a championship. If we could improve a little on the offense this past year and take the defense from 2013, I'd be a very happy Warrior fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolNation85
Glass has not been good for 25 years let everybody sleep. It doesn't matter if they started more freshmen than seniors or that they have one of the best coaches in the state.
Do they get there QB back?

Yes, but there qb is playing wr and Andre kendrick's son started the last 3 games at qb he was a freshman. Look for him to be the qb if not him then derrick mccoys brother will be the qb. He was a sophomore last year and was injured much of the year.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Yes, but there qb is playing wr and Andre kendrick's son started the last 3 games at qb he was a freshman. Look for him to be the qb if not him then derrick mccoys brother will be the qb. He was a sophomore last year and was injured much of the year.
Glass will be a top 7 seed this upcoming year. I was impressed on the smackdown y'all put on GW this past year.

Hmm this is a bit early, but what the heck. I will go out on the limb here and say next year EV should be very good. They have many of the core pieces still in place. I hope they put that kind of pressure on themselves. At some point you have to say ok we have grown up, learned a lot, now we need to do it! Every year up to this year, EV's defense was called out. Three years ago they scored well over 500 points, but gave up too many. This years D was awesome. They made turnovers a goal, they made swarming to the ball the norm. That defense was young in the right places and will only get better. They will score, but what will make them a real contender is that D. Also, I like the move to the Battlefield it allows them to play more talent through the season. This year they only played 2 real playoff teams (Chancellor and Brentsville, no I don't count CC) in the reg season. You can see how that changes their play in the season. I'm hoping Courtland, JM, KG, Chancellor (not sure what they will bring, lost alot) along with at least 2 other solid opponents outside the district will keep them sharp..

Glass will probably be pretty darn good too. They have 10 starters back on both sides of the ball from a 6-4 team this year.
I honestly think Glass will be playing for a state championship soon. Woody is one hell of a coach. Salem and Sherando will be tall tasks to beat but I see Glass and hopefully GW Danville, if they keep working and getting better, both being top 4 seeds in the near future. I think Woody has brought the fire back to the Hilltopper program. Glass has become a state force in basketball and football is soon to follow. These kids are learning how to win. The city of Lynchburg should be really excited about both of their teams, Glass and Heritage's future. I know Lynchburg has a nice feeder program in Sandusky, Dunbar, and Linkhorne? I know the GW Middle School team used to play Sandusky, Dunbar, and Moneilison (Amherst's feeder program).

I honestly think Glass will be playing for a state championship soon. Woody is one hell of a coach. Salem and Sherando will be tall tasks to beat but I see Glass and hopefully GW Danville, if they keep working and getting better, both being top 4 seeds in the near future. I think Woody has brought the fire back to the Hilltopper program. Glass has become a state force in basketball and football is soon to follow. These kids are learning how to win. The city of Lynchburg should be really excited about both of their teams, Glass and Heritage's future. I know Lynchburg has a nice feeder program in Sandusky, Dunbar, and Linkhorne? I know the GW Middle School team used to play Sandusky, Dunbar, and Moneilison (Amherst's feeder program).
Yes Woody is and he succeeded at Brookville winning two state championships. It will be tougher at Glass though, but so far they seem to be improving. Time will only tell though

Yes Amherst has a great feeder program

PH Ashland will at the very least be a decent ball club in 4A year in and year out. With PH Ashland / Dinwiddie / Hanover / Monacan the richmond region will be tough. Believe it or not I really think you will see a re-emergence of Huguenot in a few years. They have that brand new school and state of the art staduim and there JV team was pretty good. Plus if you are a kid living in South Richmond that is any good at football where else are you going to? George Wythe? I think you find a way to get to Hug. Don't let the Falcons get rolling again bc if they do look out. Not sure how many of you remember the 90's HS football in the Central Region but they were a power. Don't think for a second there aren't a lot of good athletes who will come out of the wood-works should they get a little momentum.
What was the Coach's name at Huguenot during that era? Was that the big guy with the "stare" that would scare your into running through a brick wall to keep him happy? He reminded me of the late, great, Dennis Green.

What was the Coach's name at Huguenot during that era? Was that the big guy with the "stare" that would scare your into running through a brick wall to keep him happy? He reminded me of the late, great, Dennis Green.

Coach McFee... Richard McFee I believe... Boy do I have stories about that. I'll tell you those sometime lol. Good coach and he had that program up to national prominence.

Yes Woody is and he succeeded at Brookville winning two state championships. It will be tougher at Glass though, but so far they seem to be improving. Time will only tell though
Why will it be harder at glass? It was a bigger rebuild.

Coach McFee... Richard McFee I believe... Boy do I have stories about that. I'll tell you those sometime lol. Good coach and he had that program up to national prominence.

Yes he did. He did more good for the kids at that school than any coach, before or since. Never met him personally, but he was intimidating.

Yes he did. He did more good for the kids at that school than any coach, before or since. Never met him personally, but he was intimidating.
One of the nicest people in the world..Works the book for Cosby girls basketball and does the Book for my girls event at HS every year. Well connected with the coaches association and Mike Smith.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
How many state championships did Huguenot end up winning? I've heard bits and pieces of stories around here in RVA but it's shocking that presently none of the 5 high schools can compete on the state level.

How many state championships did Huguenot end up winning? I've heard bits and pieces of stories around here in RVA but it's shocking that presently none of the 5 high schools can compete on the state level.

They didn't win any in the 90's I don't think bc:
1.) Hampton had an incredible run. Probably the best run in Va and maybe even the nation for a public high school. They were #1 ranked nationally I believe in 96 &97. Also throw in the 1992 Allen Iverson Bethel team.
2.) A few of those year Hug had to vacate wins bc of recruiting or ineligible player infractions and were not allowed to participate in the post season.
3.) Back then every school was basically D5. You had to have less than 1000 students to be D4. Much different than it is now. The Richmond region really didn't start winning state titles at scale until the recent re-alignment.

But they sent many players to major D1 programs including David Tyrell who was in the running for the Heisman.

Their best season they had to vacate all of their wins was I believe 94-95-96 can't remember which one but that season they were loaded and had to vacate all there wins even though they didn't lose a game on the field. Many felt that they would win the state championship that year. They had 2 top 10 nationally ranked receivers in Bruce branch and DT plus Abraham Washington at QB plus several other players that went to Penn st and other schools. Bobby Bowden used to regularly be at there practices and they were sponsored by Nike!

Long story short:
They were a far cry from the team you see fielded today over there. With the new facilities and new school I wouldn't be surprised if they returned to prominence soon.

They didn't win any in the 90's I don't think bc:
1.) Hampton had an incredible run. Probably the best run in Va and maybe even the nation for a public high school. They were #1 ranked nationally I believe in 96 &97. Also throw in the 1992 Allen Iverson Bethel team.
2.) A few of those year Hug had to vacate wins bc of recruiting or ineligible player infractions and were not allowed to participate in the post season.
3.) Back then every school was basically D5. You had to have less than 1000 students to be D4. Much different than it is now. The Richmond region really didn't start winning state titles at scale until the recent re-alignment.

But they sent many players to major D1 programs including David Tyrell who was in the running for the Heisman.

Their best season they had to vacate all of their wins was I believe 94-95-96 can't remember which one but that season they were loaded and had to vacate all there wins even though they didn't lose a game on the field. Many felt that they would win the state championship that year. They had 2 top 10 nationally ranked receivers in Bruce branch and DT plus Abraham Washington at QB plus several other players that went to Penn st and other schools. Bobby Bowden used to regularly be at there practices and they were sponsored by Nike!

Long story short:
They were a far cry from the team you see fielded today over there. With the new facilities and new school I wouldn't be surprised if they returned to prominence soon.
Wow!! Appreciate the lesson. Had no idea that they had it like that! I agree with you on them coming back to prominence soon. They arguably have one of the nicest facilities in the 804. Like you said the other day, why go to Wythe if you live on the south side. Why play sports at a school that doesn't even have a football stadium? I can even see some guys from Chesterfield Co coming to that Huguenot and playing.

yes and getting the kids to have a buy in. That is what I am hearing from a few school officials. I think Woody is the person[/QUOTE
I think it did take a year to get the kids on board. But they are 100% on board and will run through a brick wall. He did tell about 25 players that they were not allowed to play.

Monelsion...Who are they?everybody in Amherst knows Wolverines is Amherst official feeder program and one of the best in the State..Jerry Page,Turner,Woolfork,Braxton,Spencer,5 of the 6 starting lineman,Rose Brothers,Mccoy,Mario Vaughn and many more..Geez lol

Monelsion...Who are they?everybody in Amherst knows Wolverines is Amherst official feeder program and one of the best in the State..Jerry Page,Turner,Woolfork,Braxton,Spencer,5 of the 6 starting lineman,Rose Brothers,Mccoy,Mario Vaughn and many more..Geez lol
Gracious they are the best lol!!! I assume the Madison Heights talent pool must not be as good as their counterparts to the north of the county.

Gracious they are the best lol!!! I assume the Madison Heights talent pool must not be as good as their counterparts to the north of the county.
Madison Heights or city boys like to play in Lynchburg to much..We Northern Amherst boys cut wood all day and tend to our farms.Some of us didn't have bathrooms in our house 15 years ago but We kept a football with us all the time(watch how you touch the football).

I agree I don't think JF will be a contender but Heritage willb

I'm going to have to disagree. Can't really go by record. JF lost 6 games by a total of 17 points with a very tough schedule. Staunton River and Amherst were the toughest opponents and they stuck with them most of the game. This, with a team that only returned 2 starters.

Most of their key players on offense return but lose only a couple players on defense. JV had a great season and should produce some good varsity players. They will have 3-5 very good RB's. They could be looking at a great season and be very competitive.

Watch out for Cville man. Their defense is going to have some problems but offense can really light it up. Woody was at Monticello a few years ago and they still live in Cville. I've thrown around a football with Woody's young kids before. He's a heck of a dude. I can't wait to see that EC Glass/Cville matchup at the beginning of the year. EC Glass should be really good next year.

Lynchburg has nice feeder programs that often produce athletic kids and big linemen but the problem lies in the fact that all three feeder programs runs different systems that the two high schools. So by the time the kids reach Glass or Heritage, they have to learn completely new systems and terminology. Unlike most county schools, the feeder programs in Lynchburg are split between more than one high school. Sandusky is Heritage zone, Linkhorne is Glass zone but, Dunbar is half Heritage and half Glass.

Lynchburg has nice feeder programs that often produce athletic kids and big linemen but the problem lies in the fact that all three feeder programs runs different systems that the two high schools. So by the time the kids reach Glass or Heritage, they have to learn completely new systems and terminology. Unlike most county schools, the feeder programs in Lynchburg are split between more than one high school. Sandusky is Heritage zone, Linkhorne is Glass zone but, Dunbar is half Heritage and half Glass.
Completely agree with you Vols. I played for GW's middle school team in 07 and we went to play the Dunbar Poets and they killed us.. My senior class went 3-0 against during their 3 years (didn't play Glass in 2011 due to them going to the Seminole) in blowouts. Didn't help that Glass had to stop David in 08 lol..GW's middle school team didn't run the same system that the varsity ran either when Dan Newell was the coach. Now Anderson's spread is used for all of GW's teams.

Reactions: VolNation85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT