ADVERTISEMENT

Who's the favorites in 2017?

OCBoy

VaPreps All Region
Nov 12, 2001
Anyone care to post their top 5 from the east and west?

The two teams playing on Saturday are both going to be good again next year.

West will be loaded next year.. alot of teams are bringing back playmakers.. SR returns the 3 headed monster, but not sure about that line which had alot to do with their success. Blacksburg returns beck, and more. Heritage will have davis and their starting QB anderson. Brookville QB will be back, but i think they lose several playmakers.. MV brings back their whole backfield. Scales was finding his stride but injury stopped that, and the majority of their defense was juniors. They played several games with just one senior on defense.. i think Rustburg loses alot, but should be interesting.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
LB will lose Mayo and bond 2 of their best offensive players. N. Overstreet will be back, hes one of the best defensive players on the field. I think they will win some games, but dont know if they will have enough to make a run. They do have a good coach, so anything is possible.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I agree about the coach. As good as there is out there. The LB community is very fortunate. And Noah Overstreet will be a defensive stud next year. He will be the type of player that the opossing team will have to account for on every down.

The Seminole District in 2017 will feature LCA playing a full district schedule. I'm thinking Heritage will be the team to beat with Arrington and Davis both returning. However, never count out Amherst, JF or Brookville all three are well coached and are always really good. I would say LCA and Glass will be in the next tier down. Glass had a great 2016 season and have promise. LCA will have some growing pains the first year. Liberty was very young and had a lot of injuries in 2016, they should be a little better in 2017. Rustburg had a magical season in 2016, but the cupboards are empty for 2017. They are returning one lineman, the kicker/punter, one lb, and both rb's. The rest will all be new. I hope I'm wrong about my Devils it just looks like a rough year is coming.

Reactions: newleather
in 3A East, I would think that Phoebus will be strong again..some programs just bounce back annually. They lose a couple of pieces, but they'll be formidable. Lakeland will be back as well. York will bounce back as well. Rough year for the Falcons. On the other side of things, between the top teams (Hopewell, JM, and Brentsville) - I would say JM returns the most but Hopewell has Walker, Cuffey and Allen. They lose a lot up front, but they are battle tested. Brentsville was senior-laden, but they have a formula over there now, so they will be tough. JM returns quite a lot on both sides, but loses some key pieces. I know their staff will get their guys geared up for another run in 2017. It says something when 9-3 is a down year, but they didn't have a lot of experience on this year's team. Saw them vs. Dinwiddie and by the end of the year, they were a different team for the better, especially on defense.

Culpeper had their Fresh. QB come on towards the end of the year, so they'll compete. Petersburg is a tough team, but they lose quite a bit to graduation. Their coach may be able to bring the athletes out now.

Also, going into next year, we do not know the playoff format since we are going back to the old school format. I know 3A East will be split into 2 regions, but not sure of who's on either side.

in 3A East, I would think that Phoebus will be strong again..some programs just bounce back annually. They lose a couple of pieces, but they'll be formidable. Lakeland will be back as well. York will bounce back as well. Rough year for the Falcons. On the other side of things, between the top teams (Hopewell, JM, and Brentsville) - I would say JM returns the most but Hopewell has Walker, Cuffey and Allen. They lose a lot up front, but they are battle tested. Brentsville was senior-laden, but they have a formula over there now, so they will be tough. JM returns quite a lot on both sides, but loses some key pieces. I know their staff will get their guys geared up for another run in 2017. It says something when 9-3 is a down year, but they didn't have a lot of experience on this year's team. Saw them vs. Dinwiddie and by the end of the year, they were a different team for the better, especially on defense.

Culpeper had their Fresh. QB come on towards the end of the year, so they'll compete. Petersburg is a tough team, but they lose quite a bit to graduation. Their coach may be able to bring the athletes out now.

Also, going into next year, we do not know the playoff format since we are going back to the old school format. I know 3A East will be split into 2 regions, but not sure of who's on either side.
http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/alignment-final-24-region-alignment-plan1.pdf

I wouldn't expect much from Brentsville next year. Saying they were senior-laden is a understatement. They are graduating 20 seniors, of which 15 were either starters or significant contributors. Next year they have 6 returning that either started or played a significant amount of time.

Their head coach (and a few of the asst.) came from a 6A school four years ago. He has turned the Brentsville program around and I hope it stays headed in that direction. However, there are 2 open head coach jobs at 6A schools in the county. It would not surprise me if he were to try and move to one of those schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT