ADVERTISEMENT

Why doesnt the VHSL do a 3rd place game

OCBoy

VaPreps All Region
Nov 12, 2001
and have the two losers of the semifinals meet at the higher seed on a Friday night. That way if its played on a Friday night it wont interfere with the Saturday state championships.

Oscar Smith/Westfield
Salem/Massaponax
Liberty B/Monacan
James Monroe/Western Albemarle
Nottoway/Richlands
Haysi/Honaker

I can see a lot of exciting games there....

I would go watch the games, but I just wonder how pumped up these guys would get for a 3rd place game.

It's not necessarily something that I am in favor of (or totally against), but if it happened, I would certainly go watch.

Don't see it ever happening. I think the average die-hard fan would go, but the casual ones who DO attend the state finals would not. Also my guess is that any player who has just lost a chance to advance to the state championship game would be more than ready to call it a season and turn in his uniform. I would think it would just be too tough emotionally to get "up" for another game, especially not one that would not really mean anything. Interesting idea though!

Nobody plays for 3rd place

but I might watch if they did. Richlands vs. Nottoway might be a tough matchup.

It would be tough to get pumped up for a game that means nothing after playing 3 games up to now that meant everything. No real bragging rights for 3rd place. A lot of these guys have a place on the basketball team waiting for them as well.

Re: Nobody plays for 3rd place

Yeah boy, that would really raise the roof. I wonder when fans will want to turn high school football into recreation activity. Who give a flip about who finishes third. This is dumb.

Re: Nobody plays for 3rd place

True. They do not give rings fjor 3rd place. When a team gets eliminated from state title hunt, it's time to get ready for basketball.

It's against the rules to practice or play any games once a team loses in the playoffs.

Re: really?

That's right . you can practice year round except for a couple od dead periods of a week maybe 2.

I think a lot of schools don't take full advantage of this rule. they spend lot of time conditioning and no
t enough time practiceing.

I see teams real weak in certain facets of the game . It's evident they were not coached up enough or practice enough.

My first thought was because of Basketball season. My second thought was "Why"? No point to the game...would only extend the season for a meaningless game.
This post was edited on 12/8 9:28 AM by white&blue

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT