ADVERTISEMENT

Will be interesting to what day games are on with weather

Lafayette

VaPreps All District
Aug 26, 2001
Lastest forecast around here has fairly heavy rain Friday day and night. On Thursday night no rain until after midnight and Saturday night looks fine. What will teams decide?

I miss it when all playoff games were held on Saturday afternoons at 1:30PM. Something about playing on Saturday afternoons made the playoffs even more unique.

Reactions: btowenatc
I miss it when all playoff games were held on Saturday afternoons at 1:30PM. Something about playing on Saturday afternoons made the playoffs even more unique.
I don't think they have ever had all games played in Saturday unless it was over 30 yrs ago. Just about all the games in my area have been played on Friday until semi's

To me, Thursday games never made sense. There is so much talk anymore about athletes being students first, but then schools are okay with them having to leave early on Thursday for a game and at this point, more than likely, missing part of Friday because they got back from the game so late Thursday night. Not too mention the shortage of bus drivers everywhere and coaches getting home later than the players and then being expected to conduct meaningful lessons on the next day.

I already see Skyline and Goochland has moved, so let's take that game for example. Googlemaps says 2 hrs and 12 minutes. Say 2.5 by school bus. Most teams will eat beforehand, so say that you want to get to the school no later than 5:30 and that is kinda late and add in an hour for eating. Goochland will need to leave around 2-2:30. Games finishes between 9-9:30, those students are not getting back to the school until midnight. Then travel home, shower, calm the system and are expected to be up by 6 or so for school. The coaches would be even later, because they have to attend to post game responsibilities. Thursdays just do not make sense.

I don't think they have ever had all games played in Saturday unless it was over 30 yrs ago. Just about all the games in my area have been played on Friday until semi's
I remember (I’ve been going for 25 years!), playoff games after the first round being on Saturdays. But that was when the region had only 4 qualifying teams and the second round was the region final. In those days we were class 4 snd region A was Powhatan, the Battlefield and the Bay Rivers. All of the Southside teams and Peninsula teams played up in classification .

Too bad Goochland has school Friday. Skyline doesn't. Also, Brentsville-James Monroe moved to Thursday too. Warren County Culpeper still looks to be Friday. I think schools that could host a 2nd round game don't want to have to spend thousands of dollars on turf torn up during mudfest Friday. Also, we have every other sport playing weeknights all the time, regular and postseason. Where is the outrage there?

I think in this case with the weather sounding pretty bad and there being enough time to improvise, then it will be much wiser for schools to consider the alternatives. Why play a game in the mud when fewer people would attend, the field would get torn up, and the quality of play would be impacted?

As for those that might share the above poster's objections to Thursday night games, then Saturday is a better option. But I will add that basketball, volleyball, etc. have been playing on weeknights for years.

I remember (I’ve been going for 25 years!), playoff games after the first round being on Saturdays. But that was when the region had only 4 qualifying teams and the second round was the region final. In those days we were class 4 snd region A was Powhatan, the Battlefield and the Bay Rivers. All of the Southside teams and Peninsula teams played up in classification .
I know teams that shared the same stadium like Hampton, Phoebus, EC Glass and Heritage would sometimes play on Saturday. Due to multiple games being played at stadium. It's not a requirement to play on Friday. From what I understand, the home team chooses the day in regions. For states the games are played on Saturdays

Reactions: falcettik
I know teams that shared the same stadium like Hampton, Phoebus, EC Glass and Heritage would sometimes play on Saturday. Due to multiple games being played at stadium. It's not a requirement to play on Friday. From what I understand, the home team chooses the day in regions. For states the games are played on Saturdays
Lafayette has a dilemma . Warhill plays on Thursday night. There is some kind of Lacrosse tournament at the sports complex on the weekend. This happen last year snd we had to go to the York County field to play the first round and thus lost our home field (and the game too).

I believe 1993 was the last year, because in 1994 when I was on a state title team, the regional semi was on a Friday night.

In 1991 going back to at least 1982, all playoff games were at 1:30PM on Saturdays.

In my opinion, schools are leaving a lot of money on the table by not having playoff games on Saturdays. If they are on Saturday afternoons, it creates more of a community event. With many regular season, and now playoff games starting now at 7:00PM (down from 7:30PM for roughly 25 years and before that 8:00PM), attendance hasn't been done any favors over time.

7:00PM starts are a joke on Friday nights due to traffic; particularly in highly populated areas. I yearn for the days of 8:00PM starts, but with many teams running spread offenses and elevated passing games with talent that can't accomplish either, people wouldn't get out of some games until after 11:00PM.

1. Warren County-Culpeper has now moved to Thursday.

2. In 1993, Luray Regional semifinal and final were on Friday, only the state semifinal was on Saturday.

This is easy to find out. There is the great site fourseasonsfootball.com that has Dates, Locations, etc for every school in VA.

And since its easy to pick them out since they are always in playoffs, I went and looked at Salem.

1990- 1st 2 playoff games Friday
1991- 1st 2 playoff games Friday
1992- 1st 2 playoff games Friday

So like has been said, it depends on location and other contributing factors

Lafayette has a dilemma . Warhill plays on Thursday night. There is some kind of Lacrosse tournament at the sports complex on the weekend. This happen last year snd we had to go to the York County field to play the first round and thus lost our home field (and the game too).
Play Saturday night at William and Mary!

Reactions: SFUWO
I believe 1993 was the last year, because in 1994 when I was on a state title team, the regional semi was on a Friday night.

In 1991 going back to at least 1982, all playoff games were at 1:30PM on Saturdays.

In my opinion, schools are leaving a lot of money on the table by not having playoff games on Saturdays. If they are on Saturday afternoons, it creates more of a community event. With many regular season, and now playoff games starting now at 7:00PM (down from 7:30PM for roughly 25 years and before that 8:00PM), attendance hasn't been done any favors over time.

7:00PM starts are a joke on Friday nights due to traffic; particularly in highly populated areas. I yearn for the days of 8:00PM starts, but with many teams running spread offenses and elevated passing games with talent that can't accomplish either, people wouldn't get out of some games until after 11:00PM.
I played 90-93 and all games in Roanoke area were on Fridays for regions.

Reactions: tommythecpa
This is easy to find out. There is the great site fourseasonsfootball.com that has Dates, Locations, etc for every school in VA.

And since its easy to pick them out since they are always in playoffs, I went and looked at Salem.

1990- 1st 2 playoff games Friday
1991- 1st 2 playoff games Friday
1992- 1st 2 playoff games Friday

So like has been said, it depends on location and other contributing factors
Salem also played all regional games on Friday from 85-90.

I stated in another post that for regions I believe the home team can choose to play on Saturday but it's not a requirement like the State playoffs.

Play Saturday night at William and Mary!
True, if Bruton can do it against Poquoson a few weeks ago, why not? But W&M has a home game at 1PM. Would be over by 5 pm for sure. Push game to 7:30. Plenty of time in between. But can anyone in Williamsburg move that fast??

Salem also played all regional games on Friday from 85-90.

I stated in another post that for regions I believe the home team can choose to play on Saturday but it's not a requirement like the State playoffs.

Yea I know, I was pointing out for the poster saying all were one day and not true

State semis and finals have been Saturdays with an isolated Sunday due to weather. Occasionally, a regional final on Saturday after Thanksgiving and some Saturdays in subregionals due to field conflicts. However, they have never been all on Saturdays going back to at least the early 70s and Friday nights have been the prevailing day in most first and second round matchups.

Hey sir, do you think you can let Colonial Heights win please. They really need the win, and heck, you have won plenty of playoff games. No need to be stingy now, is it. LOL

Just being a little factious. I don’t think they have enough horses to hang around past the first half. They are a good team for who they are, but they need a few more studs. But, they will not quit. That I can assure you. If you let them hang around late, you could be in trouble. They have quick strike capability. Above all, they are battle tested. They are a Central District team and had to run the gauntlet of a lot of tough teams.

Reactions: Lafayette
Hey sir, do you think you can let Colonial Heights win please. They really need the win, and heck, you have won plenty of playoff games. No need to be stingy now, is it. LOL

Just being a little factious. I don’t think they have enough horses to hang around past the first half. They are a good team for who they are, but they need a few more studs. But, they will not quit. That I can assure you. If you let them hang around late, you could be in trouble. They have quick strike capability. Above all, they are battle tested. They are a Central District team and had to run the gauntlet of a lot of tough teams.
All jokes aside, I don’t think this game will be the blowout people are thinking. No offense but arguably Lafayette has the weakest schedule of all playoff teams. They let 8 seed York hang around earlier this season. This CHHS team has been trending upwards and to your point had to play an extremely tough Central District schedule.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
The score against York was 28-7 in the 3rd and the JV team came in for the 4th quarter and gave up some points. I wouldn’t call that hanging around. Most games this year were out of reach by the half and 2nd and 3rd stringers were playing after that. I think Lafayette averaged 36 points in the 1st half each game this year. The starting defense gave up a total of 34 point after the first game.

The score against York was 28-7 in the 3rd and the JV team came in for the 4th quarter and gave up some points. I wouldn’t call that hanging around. Most games this year were out of reach by the half and 2nd and 3rd stringers were playing after that. I think Lafayette averaged 36 points in the 1st half each game this year. The starting defense gave up a total of 34 point after the first game.
Those are some good stats and it’s not the kids fault but do you think that’s happening if they play Hopewell’s schedule? (I’m biased but I believe it’s the toughest schedule out of all the teams) I commend Lafayette for lining up and playing the schedule they were dealt but my comment was just to say they really aren’t a battle tested team. I personally don’t believe their record is indicative of how they will play as a playoff team. Will lafayette win this week probably, will it be a blow out? I’m not sold on that. However IMO Lafayette doesn’t make it past the second round.

Those are some good stats and it’s not the kids fault but do you think that’s happening if they play Hopewell’s schedule? (I’m biased but I believe it’s the toughest schedule out of all the teams) I commend Lafayette for lining up and playing the schedule they were dealt but my comment was just to say they really aren’t a battle tested team. I personally don’t believe their record is indicative of how they will play as a playoff team. Will lafayette win this week probably, will it be a blow out? I’m not sold on that. However IMO Lafayette doesn’t make it past the second round.

I agree Hopewell plays the toughest schedule, but I don’t know if the definition of being battle tested is getting blown out by Varina , Dinwiddie and Thomas Dale. Maybe it is. For Lafayette they lost in game 1 to #2 seed King George of 4B by 27-13, up 35-0 at half time to #1 seed King William in 2A, up 42-0 at halftime to Warhill the #3 seed in 4A. Now we all play some “softees”. For Lake Taylor it’s Manor, Granby and JR Tucker. For Hopewell it’s Henrico, Prince George and Medowbrook. It’s unavoidable. How we all do in the playoffs is always a big question with unfamiliar teams, the weather and recent injuries. But good luck to all. I will agree in the second round the probable (but not guaranteed) matchup with lake Taylor is very tough, the last time we met Lafayette did not win.
Ps- is anyone getting past round 3 (Phoebus) ?? Now put any one of us in 3B. Now that’s a disparity!

I agree Hopewell plays the toughest schedule, but I don’t know if the definition of being battle tested is getting blown out by Varina , Dinwiddie and Thomas Dale. Maybe it is. For Lafayette they lost in game 1 to #2 seed King George of 4B by 27-13, up 35-0 at half time to #1 seed King William in 2A, up 42-0 at halftime to Warhill the #3 seed in 4A. Now we all play some “softees”. For Lake Taylor it’s Manor, Granby and JR Tucker. For Hopewell it’s Henrico, Prince George and Medowbrook. It’s unavoidable. How we all do in the playoffs is always a big question with unfamiliar teams, the weather and recent injuries. But good luck to all. I will agree in the second round the probable (but not guaranteed) matchup with lake Taylor is very tough, the last time we met Lafayette did not win.
Ps- is anyone getting past round 3 (Phoebus) ?? Now put any one of us in 3B. Now that’s a disparity!
I agree that every team plays teams that are not very good. 80% of your schedule wouldn't make it to regional finals.

Reactions: BlueDevil55
Check the box scores they lost the 4th quarter of those games (DHS& TDHS) a combined 33-0 and all Dinwiddie fans can attest that was a very close game until the 4th quarter. That’s what battle tested is. Lafayette 1 loss is against to a King George team that I would also argue hasn’t played anyone of significance. Also I wouldn’t assume that you’re playing Lake Taylor as others have stated this matchup is probably the best matchup in the first round. One I believe could go either way.

I agree the LT / Hopewell is the toughest draw in 3A by far. I think Norcom lucked out getting Southampton who does have a feather light schedule. If Hopewell and Lafayette win it will be a very tough game and it will prove the tough schedule. But either way at least it’s here for what that’s worth. I’m sure Hopewell travels well. Right now our game is still on Friday in the rain. That affects everything,

It comes down to match ups . I believe some teams just match up and play better against some teams than others and if they have there mental and physical game working together at the same time. For hopewell it's been about playing 4 quarters of mental and physical football like they did against the Matoaca and if they do I think they can beat just about anyone or go toe to toe anyway.

Reactions: BlueDevil55
All jokes aside, I don’t think this game will be the blowout people are thinking. No offense but arguably Lafayette has the weakest schedule of all playoff teams. They let 8 seed York hang around earlier this season. This CHHS team has been trending upwards and to your point had to play an extremely tough Central District schedule.
So of the 8 teams in 3A, your saying Lafayette has the weakest schedule. Interesting.

Email says: “Due to the forecast, the playoff game with Colonial Heights has been moved to Thursday 11/10 at 4:00 PM at Wanner Stadium.”
Website just updated. Good move before Warhill 7 pm start..

I think in this case with the weather sounding pretty bad and there being enough time to improvise, then it will be much wiser for schools to consider the alternatives. Why play a game in the mud when fewer people would attend, the field would get torn up, and the quality of play would be impacted?

As for those that might share the above poster's objections to Thursday night games, then Saturday is a better option. But I will add that basketball, volleyball, etc. have been playing on weeknights for years.
Basketball, volleyball, soccer, baseball, softball, etc...have been having regionals on weekdays for years, but if my memory serves me correctly, I also believe a lot of those games also start at 6:00. I know soccer did when I coached. So we have an earlier start time for those sports and most of those do not take 2-2.5 hours to complete the contest and they also do not have the amount of equipment that needs to be broken down and packed away before teams can get back on the road. Soccer started at 6:00, we were done by 8 and 2 hour bus ride has us back by 10. Thursday night football game starts at 7, finishes around 9 at best, another 30 minutes to break everything down, players get equipment off and buses back on the road and 2 hour bus ride. That puts coaches, players, and drivers back to school around 11:30-12. That's a big difference between 10.

I know of at least two schools in your area and a few more in other parts of the state that are struggling with transportation logistics for potential Thursday night games or already scheduled games.

It’s not great when families have plans to travel from out of state to be there for the game on Friday…
True and the 4 pm start causes issues on both sides adults. But it’s better than going to York’s field again for a “home” game and W&M after their 1 pm game on Saturday May have been no go from them.

I need to clarify my statement. I was referring to all teams not one team in particular. I was not talking about Lafayette's schedule. Seems some like to say other teams schedules are weak when in reality everyone's schedule is about the same. This is why Highland Springs played Chambers and Martinsburg.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT