ADVERTISEMENT

Will Hanover or Orange County high schools be used for a super site

Here's a Kleenex crybaby.

Win your region and you won't have to worry about it.
If you honestly think that’s a good venue then you got it play boy! 2 hours from Graham.. 5 from Martinsville & Dan River and 3 1/2 for Radford. If you can read were talking supersites. Winning your Region has nothing to do with playing games there.

Reactions: AntGZee and OCBoy
If you honestly think that’s a good venue then you got it play boy! 2 hours from Graham.. 5 from Martinsville & Dan River and 3 1/2 for Radford. If you can read were talking supersites. Winning your Region has nothing to do with playing games there.

Yes it does... because region winner gets to play the QF at their supersite.

If two region winners play in semis, then it's determined by power points. I doubt very seriously that anyone other than Gate City will be #1 in the power points, which means, if you want to get to Richmond you're going to have to make the trip to Wise for a QF or SF.

Whoever wins Region C will probably host a QF at Salem Civic Center and plays Region D runner up.

Ok. Ridgeview's gym looks really nice when I googled it! I think the concern is more about a somewhat central location and making sense geographically for all involved. Putting a super site in a county that borders another state doesn't do that.

Well, the thing is, last year they said for 6 years that 2A QF and SF would rotate between JMU and Wise. That lasted all of one year, because if I had to guess, the 1A schools (Lancaster for sure) probably whined and moaned about having to come to Bristol last year. (1A was supposed to rotate between Bristol and Salem for 6 years)

If you want to make it fair for everyone in 1A and 2A anyway, then play it at Salem Civic Center, much like the football games are played.

I just get tired of folks like DSH who whine about having to come to the mountains. And before I get labeled a SWVA homeboy, you can ask Union fans, I scolded them as well for whining about travelling to Dan River and Appomattox last year and Clarke County the year before.

Bottom line, if you take care of business and win your region, you're going to get to play at the least a QF game close to home. If you lose in the region final, suck it up and hit the road.

I don't disagree too much with what you're saying. It's the post-season, you better expect to have to travel some when you get there.

Well, the thing is, last year they said for 6 years that 2A QF and SF would rotate between JMU and Wise. That lasted all of one year, because if I had to guess, the 1A schools (Lancaster for sure) probably whined and moaned about having to come to Bristol last year. (1A was supposed to rotate between Bristol and Salem for 6 years)

If you want to make it fair for everyone in 1A and 2A anyway, then play it at Salem Civic Center, much like the football games are played.

I just get tired of folks like DSH who whine about having to come to the mountains. And before I get labeled a SWVA homeboy, you can ask Union fans, I scolded them as well for whining about travelling to Dan River and Appomattox last year and Clarke County the year before.

Bottom line, if you take care of business and win your region, you're going to get to play at the least a QF game close to home. If you lose in the region final, suck it up and hit the road.
First of all, I’m not whining. No fans outside of the teams are traveling through Nancy’s barnyard to watch a game that could be played 3 hours East. Secondly, I did not know that they changed the set up for this yeat. Good for the VHSL.

I can't wait till one of these schools east of exit 118 have to come to Ridgeview. Which is probably sooner than one might think since our football prognosis looks very promising.

No cell service, no wi-fi, on top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere... People would be BEGGING for UVa-Wise then, cause at least you have cell signal there. Lol

Me personally, I think it's ridiculous for a 1A east team to travel across a whole state to play a game. Just think if Union or Ridgeview had to travel to King George Co or to Colonial Beach to play a game.

Me personally, I think it's ridiculous for a 1A east team to travel across a whole state to play a game. Just think if Union or Ridgeview had to travel to King George Co or to Colonial Beach to play a game.

Wouldn't be the first time. Why is it okay for SWVA to have to travel 7-8 hours but everyone throws a fit when an Eastern team has a 4-5 hour drive?

PV once played a state title game on the peninsula.

Reactions: swva_havok_fan

I'd do it in an instant if it was earned. Meaning they earned the "home court" advantage. Martinsville and Dan River folks whine about having to come to Wise though to play Gate City when it is apparent that Gate City will have the higher seed. Suck it up buttercup and make the trip if you get that far.

I see no one has still answered my question but rather bicker about travel.
Last year when RE Lee Madison Bruton and Amelia played at Hanover it was a great environment. I remember a few years back at Orange County high school it was an even better environment. Just hoping for those atmospheres to happen again

I'd do it in an instant if it was earned. Meaning they earned the "home court" advantage. Martinsville and Dan River folks whine about having to come to Wise though to play Gate City when it is apparent that Gate City will have the higher seed. Suck it up buttercup and make the trip if you get that far.
Martinsville has done it before and won and believe me, they will again. All we’re saying is...D*mn at least put the game somewhere that’s accessible to all parties. Put the 1a games at Wise and 2a at Emory or VA High if you’re going to play in SWVA. Smartest thing to do is use the Dedmon Center at Radford but hey gotta please you SWVA folks. But since you said that they’ve changed to the old way of quarterfinals at Wise, Salem, JMU, etc..Win or travel.

Reactions: OCBoy
Martinsville has done it before and won and believe me, they will again. All we’re saying is...D*mn at least put the game somewhere that’s accessible to all parties. Put the 1a games at Wise and 2a at Emory or VA High if you’re going to play in SWVA. Smartest thing to do is use the Dedmon Center at Radford but hey gotta please you SWVA folks. But since you said that they’ve changed to the old way of quarterfinals at Wise, Salem, JMU, etc..Win or travel.

1A at Wise... them Lancaster and Essex folks would HATE you for saying that. Lmao. Lancaster had to travel near 8 hours just to Bristol last year. Add another hour and a half to Wise... yeah that would be a fun trip. Oh wait, they did go to Wise two years ago. Almost forgot that.

Wise is plenty accessible to anyone. All they have to do is get in the car, stop and pump some gas along the way, wait that's it isn't it?!?! You don't have any gas money to travel that far. Aw, that's just a darn shame. Maybe those Martinsville folks will loan you some.

Reactions: BigWinners

So SWVA should have to travel 5-8 hours just so no one else has to drive more than 4? How is that remotely fair?

It's simple. Be the higher seed and host.

Reactions: swva_havok_fan
DSH, if you need some gas money give me a holler. I'll meet you at Old Country Store on 58 west and you can fill up. Full tank from there will get you to Wise. Even give you enough money to eat at Cracker Barrel in Abingdon if you want.

DSH, if you need some gas money give me a holler. I'll meet you at Old Country Store on 58 west and you can fill up. Full tank from there will get you to Wise. Even give you enough money to eat at Cracker Barrel in Abingdon if you want.

That's the spirit. See, I knew someone had your back DSH. :D

Traveling from Lancaster to the west of va is crazy for a high school game nobody wants to make that long trip and we all are complaining about it lol

Last edited:
Traveling from Lancaster to the west of va is crazy for a high school game nobody wants to make that long trip and we all are complaining about it lol

Lol, see there you go.

Too bad you didn't win your region a couple of years ago... if you had then you wouldn't have had to make an 8+ hour trip to Wise. But you didn't win your region, so you had to travel. That's just a darn shame. I don't feel sorry for you.

Didn't have no say in the matter last year though. Everybody had to come to Bristol last year region champion or not.

At least this year it's in the teams hands, so everyone can stop being crybabies. Win your region and you will get a quarterfinal and possibly semifinal fairly close to home.

These games should be played at a neutral site halfway between schools involved. Most high schools don't have a gym suitable for tournament games.

These games should be played at a neutral site halfway between schools involved. Most high schools don't have a gym suitable for tournament games.

The only high school honestly I have seen that could host state games would be Virginia High in Bristol, which did host the 1A quarters and semis last year. It seats roughly 2,700 I think. If Tennessee High was about a mile to the east, then it definitely could as well. There were 6,500 there for the Gate City/North Mecklenburg Arby's Classic game.

Too many want to play the "highest seed host" bull manure. No school should play a tournament game on their home court.

It looks like Dan River may get to host some tournament games. No offense to anyone at DR, but Dan River gym isn't big enough for a good regular season game, much less a tournament.

Reactions: Red_phx82
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT