ADVERTISEMENT

Will there be games this fall?

How can you trust putting a child at risk ? Just asking not being sarcastic but I’m sure that’s gonna be the response from administrators/ parents/ children etc. I do believe at the D1 level school and football can proceed I’m not so sure that can be achieved at higher enrollment schools.
I honestly don't know those answers. The way things are going, I'm starting to wonder if there will even be high school football in Virginia this year.

I honestly don't know those answers. The way things are going, I'm starting to wonder if there will even be high school football in Virginia this year.
Also the cost will be through the roof to play , I’m sure insurance rates will be increased , cost of all the sanitation required ( which truthfully should of been the normal) cost to run buses that you can’t fill to capacity resulting in extra routes ( some school systems were struggling before the pandemic to keep up) it’s seems overwhelming for sure.

How can you trust putting a child at risk ? Just asking not being sarcastic but I’m sure that’s gonna be the response from administrators/ parents/ children etc. I do believe at the D1 level school and football can proceed I’m not so sure that can be achieved at higher enrollment schools.

do you read the science on this? kids are the least affected if affected at all
Va has no deaths under the age of 18

Also the cost will be through the roof to play , I’m sure insurance rates will be increased , cost of all the sanitation required ( which truthfully should of been the normal) cost to run buses that you can’t fill to capacity resulting in extra routes ( some school systems were struggling before the pandemic to keep up) it’s seems overwhelming for sure.

insurance for who? the kids, kids are usually on parents health plan not schools

I'm sure some sort of waiver will be signed for kids to play sports concerning the virus. Schools insurance is usually secondary in the event of an injury as it stands now.

It’s most definitely not as simple as having parents sign a waiver. I’m very interested in seeing how the insurance companies negotiate with school divisions.

Reactions: trutiger16
Would you give a dam about science if it was your kid
I don’t think anybody wishes a kid to get sick or hurt. The thing about work or sports or any other task we perform daily, we take a risk. When you say put your kid at risk, I will turn to me and say my kids want to play, if someone else fears for their kid than don’t let him/her play

Last edited:
Saw this on Good Morning America. In Los Angeles County, when school starts this fall. All students will wear a mask and only 16 students per class. Also heard Bedford County might do a deal where kids will go to school for a week and take two weeks off. Doesn't sound like sports will be played this year in Virginia.

Reactions: WP02alum
I suspect the fall season won’t be happening or there will be extreme changes to the norm.

It all seems like it is going to be a calculation of risk. These risk calculations are made all the time. Any time an athlete steps onto the field, court, diamond, etc. there is always risk involved. It's how the adults in the room decide to mitigate that risk that is at play right now.

A football player can tackle the wrong way and get a concussion. A female soccer player can turn the wrong way and tear her ACL. The answer to these kinds of things has been risk mitigation through training coaches (Heads Up Football etc.) or through specific strengthening exercises that help with prevention of ACL tears.

We also have a precedent to cancel contests completely or to reschedule them when there is too much risk. If there is a storm in the area that includes lightning the field and stands are immediately evacuated due to the risk presented. Teams have to wait 30 minutes past the last lightning strike to continue the game. Sometimes the games are postponed. Sometimes they are canceled completely.

Same for baseball and softball games being played at schools with no lighting systems. At a certain point in the contest if it is too dark the game is called or moved to the next day because of unsafe playing conditions.

This will most likely play out the same way. How much risk is involved in playing high school sports this year? Can the contests be played safely? Do all parents and athletes need to sign a waiver absolving school divisions of liability should something happen? Is that even legal?

I think it goes without saying that everyone wants to get back to normal. We all want high school football, cross country, volleyball, golf, etc. We want the kids to have these experiences and to do so safely.

The VHSL and school divisions across the country are going to have some very tough decisions to make about school and sports this year.

Reactions: Rev_Real
It all seems like it is going to be a calculation of risk. These risk calculations are made all the time. Any time an athlete steps onto the field, court, diamond, etc. there is always risk involved. It's how the adults in the room decide to mitigate that risk that is at play right now.

A football player can tackle the wrong way and get a concussion. A female soccer player can turn the wrong way and tear her ACL. The answer to these kinds of things has been risk mitigation through training coaches (Heads Up Football etc.) or through specific strengthening exercises that help with prevention of ACL tears.

We also have a precedent to cancel contests completely or to reschedule them when there is too much risk. If there is a storm in the area that includes lightning the field and stands are immediately evacuated due to the risk presented. Teams have to wait 30 minutes past the last lightning strike to continue the game. Sometimes the games are postponed. Sometimes they are canceled completely.

Same for baseball and softball games being played at schools with no lighting systems. At a certain point in the contest if it is too dark the game is called or moved to the next day because of unsafe playing conditions.

This will most likely play out the same way. How much risk is involved in playing high school sports this year? Can the contests be played safely? Do all parents and athletes need to sign a waiver absolving school divisions of liability should something happen? Is that even legal?

I think it goes without saying that everyone wants to get back to normal. We all want high school football, cross country, volleyball, golf, etc. We want the kids to have these experiences and to do so safely.

The VHSL and school divisions across the country are going to have some very tough decisions to make about school and sports this year.
You are 100 % right on the tough decisions. Glad I don't have to make those decisions. Hopefully we can get past the Covid-19 deal and get back to normal as close as we can. Will heart breaking if there is no high school sports. Time will tell.

I don’t think anybody wishes a kid to get sick or hurt. The thing about work or sports or any other task we perform daily, we take a risk. When you say put your kid at risk, I will turn to me and say my kids want to play, if someone else fears for their kid than don’t let him/her play
You are right totally , but when you say risk the risk is extremely higher for African Americans and COVID, my fear is that the kids could pass this on to parents and teachers who may not be as healthy and strong as the kids.

You are right totally , but when you say risk the risk is extremely higher for African Americans and COVID, my fear is that the kids could pass this on to parents and teachers who may not be as healthy and strong as the kids.

do you know why the risk is higher for African Americans?

I think you guys are beginning to touch upon the real issue here. Even if we do get to a point where the state says that we can resume sports, how many parents are going to still consider it too big a risk and refuse to let their kids play?

There is enough injury risk in all sports without have to deal with the Covid-19 Virus. Doubt many parents will want to deal with the double whammy of allowing their kid to play.

well since my kids are at the bottom of the risk levels and i work in healthcare and i know what im talking about yes my kids will play
I applaud you and you I appreciate you being on the frontlines in saving lives from COVID , but with seeing all the devastation and the continued spread how could you so easily sacrifice your child ?

All those risk you named are not generally killers, COVID IS !

NFL allowing coaches into facilities and NBA to start back with 22 teams

I applaud you and you I appreciate you being on the frontlines in saving lives from COVID , but with seeing all the devastation and the continued spread how could you so easily sacrifice your child ?

how am I sacrificing my kids for this? covid pretty much ignores kids. they are asymptomatic if they get it at all. 0 deaths in the state of VA with kids under 18 per VHD. R0 level for covid is .5 which means if 1 person gets it the infectious rate is half a person. this is about twice as deadly as the flu.

Last edited:
how am I sacrificing my kids for this? covid pretty much ignores kids. they are asymptomatic if they get it at all. 0 deaths in the state of VA with kids under 18 per VHD. R0 level for covid is .5 which means if 1 person gets it the infectious rate is half a person. this is about twice as deadly as the flu.
I’m all for football, but in my opinion football should not be played , COVID cases are spiking again across the country with no vaccine in sight , you act as if all the kids will be in a bubble and never to come out , coaches , teachers, parents , and anyone associated with these kids will be affected. It’s just not worth it until we get a vaccination. I’m so tired of people comparing this to the flu it’s no comparison, last I checked will vaccinations for the flu. Look at the state of Arizona hospital beds are near full capacity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT