Lost 3a state runner up Lord Botetourt 17-14
Lost Blue Ridge District winner Northside 10-7

Thoughts .

Lost 4a state champion Salem 49-21
Lost 3a state champion Magna Vista 41-40

Thoughts .
The 3A games they lost were all very close. If they had made the playoffs they would have done very well. That being said, Magna Vista was a much better team at the end of the season than they were when Byrd played them. Basham is a terrific player and Byrd may win a couple of those close games this year to make it in the playoffs.

http://wset.com/sports/football-friday/football-friday-2016-preview-william-byrd-terriers

Last edited:
Lost 4a state champion Salem 49-21
Lost 3a state champion Magna Vista 41-40

Thoughts .
Within a whisper of being right there. They must have been awfully good.

They also needed a late TD to safely put away a 2-8 CS squad and only beat SR by a point.

Don't think this was a case of them being better than their record, they just played up for some games.

Basham is still their whole offense. Anyone that limits him will win the game.

The 3A games they lost were all very close. If they had made the playoffs they would have done very well. That being said, Magna Vista was a much better team at the end of the season than they were when Byrd played them. Basham is a terrific player and Byrd may win a couple of those close games this year to make it in the playoffs.

I dunno. Byrd was 4A; had they qualified for the playoffs (which they would have if 4A West had still taken sixteen teams), I think it's likely they would have gone home after the first round. That said, after week one, they did defeat all the teams they should have beaten pretty convincingly, and lost by slim margins to three very good 3A teams. I've said all off-season that I expect Byrd to challenge for a top eight seed in 4A West, and I'm sticking to it. I think they have a good chance to flip two, maybe even three of those losses to wins. Yes, Byrd's offense could fairly be termed one-dimensional, but many good high school teams are.

If Byrd does get a playoff seed between five and eight, they would earn a home game in the first round. The Terriers might still be a year away from advancing in the playoffs, but if Highfill can find a kid who can pass just decently enough to keep constant heat off Basham, it wouldn't surprise me if Byrd does it this fall.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT