ADVERTISEMENT

Wilson JVs Get A taste of Big Red !

Xcross

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 24, 2010
Riverheads beat the Wilson JV team tonight 32 - 14 . The worst environment I have ever been in at at football game . To start the warm up music was full of foul language , f bombs and rap with bullets for everyone in the room . Then after any given play they played the Giles Train Horn . Not after a score but just any time . In between plays they play all kinds of different songs . My grandkids were shocked at what they heard ! They have not heard the last from this old man ! Wilson will never see another dime of mine ! My wife was so upset she had to take the kids to the car .
Friday RHS host Wilson and I hope Casto puts 70 on their A$$ . Am I the only one offended or what. Personally I hope they never win another game of any kind !.
If you were at the game and did not like what you heard please contact the school board office as I will !

Reactions: oldballcoach13
As I normally do, I was going to get on here and report on the game, which I will still do momentarily. But first I guess I have to respond to X Cross' post. Sorry dude, but I personally must have slept through most of that, because I heard very little of what you heard.

Now perhaps something happened before I got there, because I was coming in the gate as they were playing the national anthem and I was walking around the field as they kicked off. So therefore I missed everything that happened pre-game. However, what you are describing sadly would not be a first, because at a Riverheads away baseball game last spring, we most definitely got treated to some four-letter words during the pre-game warm-ups, but it only lasted as long as it took someone to lunge for the off button. So maybe kids do that sort of thing for a joke. Who can say? But the closest thing I heard tonight to objectionable music would have been a clip of a song called "Black Betty," which didn't bother me personally.

As for the PA system, I thought the announcer was one of the clearest ones we have heard and I did not mind all the little songs they played. The idea for you readers is that they would play a clip of a song that might fit the situation on the field. However, for the life of me, I cannot think of an example now. You know maybe something like "Nowhere to Run" if a guy was tackled for a loss...that kind of thing. As for a train horn, if they played one, it certainly was not loud enough to offend me and it was nowhere near as loud as the one at Giles, which I DO remember. So sorry I can't help your case much, but I will be interested in hearing what others say, especially some of the Wilson folks if they choose to chime in.

As for the game, the turning point ironically was a non-scoring play. Each team had scored on its opening possession, with Riverheads needing less than two minutes and Wilson then taking up almost all the rest of the first quarter on its drive. They each converted their two-point conversions and the first quarter ended in an 8-8 tie.

But that turning point came late in the second quarter. Wilson was facing a 4th and 2 from its own 30 yard line. Normally a punting situation, right? But the Hornets lined up as if they were going for it. However it soon became obvious that they were trying to draw Riverheads offsides, but the Gladiators didn't fall for it so Wilson called a time-out. But when play resumed, they lined up again in their normal offensive set and actually DID go for it. But the Gladiator defense stopped them, which gave Riverheads the ball 30 yards from the goal line with 1:49 left.

Zach Smiley rambled 20 yards on the very first play, and three or four plays later, Cyrus Cox scored from the one on a quarterback sneak. Smiley added the two points (the Gladiators were a perfect 4-4 on those tonight) and the visitors took a 16-8 lead into the locker room.

Wilson took the second half kickoff and drove it in quickly for a score, which came on about a 30-yard pass play into the left corner of the end zone. But in the second-most important play of the night, the Big Red stuffed the ball carrier on the conversion to preserve their 16-14 lead.

RHS then scored two fourth-quarter insurance TDs to make the game sound like a little bit more of a rout than it really was. On both those drives, they crossed up the Hornet defense by going to some direct snaps that were very successful. In fact one of them went all the way for a TD.

Anyway, it was a nice turnover-free game on an evening that was almost too warm for football, if there is such a thing. The win gives RHS a 6-2 record on the year and they will wrap up their season with a pair of home games against Stonewall Jackson and Stuarts Draft the next two Wednesdays. If things follow their logical pattern, the Wilson JVs will have a road game at East Rock next week and then wrap up at home the following week against Page.

Hey Longtimer, who were the Gladiators losses to? I was thinking you guys were undefeated.

We lost to Luray and East Rock, both road games that I did not attend. The Luray game was close, like 14-8, but the East Rock game was something like 30-8. Still not bad for a team that has a lot of 8th graders in key positions.

Reactions: mmqp
This is kinda surprising. I have been to two Varsity games there and numerous little league games this year and never experienced anything like that. Hopefully it was unintentional and a one off instance as there are some very good people within that program that do not hold to the type of behavior you described. I love the Red team and hope we hang half a hundred on them but I have never seen this type of stuff while attending events at Wilson.

Anyone else think Xcross (based on prior posts not this one specifically) was way younger than 50+ 60+

It's not meant as a negative in any way.... just perception

Reactions: Bama1985
Yep, my estimation was 28-35. Guess I was wrong or there is more than one Xcross, hmmm. Seems like a few of these accounts are run with an agenda in mind. I have met a few of the people I talk to on here but there are some that are clouded in mystery, lol.

Won't someone please think of the children!!!

We learned a lot here Goat. Someone took a vow to spend their life with xcross and even procreated with him. Defied all the odds.

I just think XCross was hearing things. Maybe he heard someone say Green Team and he took it as bad words, because all he knows is Red Team. How dare they use a different color...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT