ADVERTISEMENT

Winners and that's directly related to Doug Smith. Credit Appo

lee was a good team, very good. I say they were in top 3 best teams appo has playd in last 3 yrs on our 44-1 stretch.. i say richlands 2015 best heritage this yr then lee this yr best3 teams we played in last 3 yrs, i watched every game too. the moment was not to big for lee at all, they were better then people said and very well coached very well! lee just got beat but nothing to be ashamed by at all. I am an appo fan and was worried about outcome until 1 min to go... it was a strange but super entertaining game to say the least.

Reactions: oldfool
It's the same as a backward pass, if its behind the line of scrimmage it's a live ball. I watched and was wondering why Appo player just watched it and did not pick it up and take to the house for easy score. The kid from Lee made a good play realizing it was a live ball.
Still don't understand, as it is not same as backward pass. It was behind behind line of scrimage but not behind the punter. Backwards pass is behind passer. I thought I had seen everything until that play.

RE LEE came to play and they were a great team. Two great teams met and battled with Appomattox having to fight back most all of the game. Javon Scruggs (#1 QB) is a PLAYER. Every time Lee took momentum he did something to swing it back to our favor.

I was super proud of our kids, especially some of out back ups! #4 Drew Mann went out on the first offensive series and then #54 Daniel Baldwin never came out after half time (maybe even before the half). Both of those guys are starting Dog and Middle Linebacker on defense and T.E. and left tackle on Off. For Appomattox to overcome those two major losses and still battle back to win was amazing.

Plus, RE LEE scored on one of the most bazaar plays that I have ever seen. Punter shanks the punt so bad that it never crosses the LOS and rolls to their side of the field. I thought it rolled OB but I guess it didn't. They pick it up as our guys caught up in the excitement of the big stop and then this punt and......the kid runs it for a TD.

44-1 over the past three years (and that "one" lost in the 3A finals yesterday).

Reactions: Hburghokie
Congrats to the Appomattox raiders and I agree don't think the moment was to big for lee I told someone at the game I thought they looked like the were getting tired the last few mins of the game , there line play was awesome and there backs were hard to bring down , had all the ingredients to be state champs BUT!! As I have said the will to win and the grit that the raiders have played with all season was unreal . They lost two key starters last nite very early in the game and the young guys stepped in and got it done , that's why they were played so much during the season for moments like last nite . The game was awesom to watch and I am so proud of the Appomattox raiders !!!! 3 time state champions and 3 in a row unreal !!!

Hats off to RE Lee as it was a great game. If you had told me two of our 4 year starting seniors would be out of the game as 1 only played 3 plays and we would be down at halftime, I would not have been hopeful of this game but this team showed heart and guts. I have been saying all year this team had talent and could do it again but it was going to be the toughest one to get. Giles, Glenvar, Union and RE Lee were 4 very good teams (note Giles you caught us on one of our best nights). This team fought all year with injuries, new O line, new RB's and a totally different defense and with all of that made a name for themselves. we have definitely seen something special here at Appo for the last 3 years.

Well I believe a team from 3 years ago isn't the same. 3 years ago, 4 teams who have now 3 posted didn't win.

It must hurt to see all these teams that won today are primarily running teams :)

Check the final stats. I believe both teams had decent yardage throwing the ball.

I think it was a designed play. He had the whole team over there blocking for him up sidelines
I dont think it was designed. I do think Lee was worried we could get in there and block the kick hence the reason they had blockers set like they did. We had momentum on our side at that time and Lee was playing to not lose instead of playing to win. But that;s just my opinion.

I dont think it was called for either. No way you kick one like that not the way it looked as the punter swung at the ball. Clearly a shank.
Much too risky of a play to design and use at that moment. I dont feel like Lee was feeling pressured to start using bonehead plays and try something like that in that field position and moment.

Reactions: OldSchoolRaider
Much too risky of a play to design and use at that moment. I dont feel like Lee was feeling pressured to start using bonehead plays and try something like that in that field position and moment.

Yea. Not by design. I was dumb founded thinking, "that cant be the play that gets us".

No way you can design that play !! The punter is not that good to be able to shank and keep it in play ! Wow what a crazy play though! Said to myself during the game , what if you lose the game on a play like that , crazy but Appo did not even flinch, can right back and scored , the will of a champion !!

I agree. No punter is that good.
Javon is a PLAYER!!!!!

Reactions: Stabler1980
Great game exactly what I thought it would be, big plays all night on both sides. I thought these teams coming in were identical all the way down to the uniforms but Appomattox staff made adjustments and R.E.Lee helped them out a bit. Good job to both, Congrats Appomattox on the 3 peat but I want my damn Axe back lol!

Great game exactly what I thought it would be, big plays all night on both sides. I thought these teams coming in were identical all the way down to the uniforms but Appomattox staff made adjustments and R.E.Lee helped them out a bit. Good job to both, Congrats Appomattox on the 3 peat but I want my damn Axe back lol!
lol your a trooper and i'm almost certain you will get your axe back. You do know the hardware store has plenty more.

not without a fight as we like having it. Maybe we can keep it as long as the Hokies have the commonwealth cup

Reactions: BCKnights
I think Lee was playing Russian roulette with all the short kicks against a loaded offensive Appomattox. To give us the short field majority of the game....not a good game plan.

not without a fight as we like having it. Maybe we can keep it as long as the Hokies have the commonwealth cup
It's all love brother but hopefully it be a pretty good fight next year. The circus we experienced the last two years is over and we should move in the right direction now. I think yall will be strong again next year because your jv was pretty dominant and you get some experienced guys back along with a stellar staff and huge support from the community. I don't see you guys falling off I think the program is established to compete for the title year end and year out now. Great job...but I still want my damn axe and that's the bottom line lol!

It's all love brother but hopefully it be a pretty good fight next year. The circus we experienced the last two years is over and we should move in the right direction now. I think yall will be strong again next year because your jv was pretty dominant and you get some experienced guys back along with a stellar staff and huge support from the community. I don't see you guys falling off I think the program is established to compete for the title year end and year out now. Great job...but I still want my damn axe and that's the bottom line lol!

Cuz BC said so :)

I think some will. A punter who has good touch with his foot should be able to execute it.

I imagine there may be 3 punters in nation (at all levels) who could have a shot at doing that on purpose. It's different than a kick, every kick is going forward, and it's a matter of physics. Hard to get backspin on a ball on purpose.

It would be VERY hard to do

Reactions: Bo Bob
So on that play again ! It happened so fast and I was like what was that , never seen anything like that before and I know it's been said that was a legal play but have some questions about that and maybe you guys can chime in . Okay here we go !! Was told that one official blew the ball dead the one closest to the ball ??? 2-- did the ball cross the line of scrimmage and then come back . 3- is that like a lateral and if so we're lineman down the field ? Has anyone found this in the rule book ? Ok just for fun here since it's over any way !! Ok go !!

So on that play again ! It happened so fast and I was like what was that , never seen anything like that before and I know it's been said that was a legal play but have some questions about that and maybe you guys can chime in . Okay here we go !! Was told that one official blew the ball dead the one closest to the ball ??? 2-- did the ball cross the line of scrimmage and then come back . 3- is that like a lateral and if so we're lineman down the field ? Has anyone found this in the rule book ? Ok just for fun here since it's over any way !! Ok go !!
Well if a ref blew whistle it should’ve been dead right there regardless because you never hit after whistle. Players were like deer in headlights for raiders. Soooo.... how do you knock appo players for not chasing runner down if a whistle was blown?

I don't believe ref blew whistle.

All a punter has to do to execute this play is pretend he going to punt ball to "corner" or the sideline, then kick it 90 degrees toward far sideline. Have a WR retreat back and pick up ball and run.

I don't believe ref blew whistle.

All a punter has to do to execute this play is pretend he going to punt ball to "corner" or the sideline, then kick it 90 degrees toward far sideline. Have a WR retreat back and pick up ball and run.

Too much . No way you could "sell" that as fake I don't think.
Punt never past the LOS.

Last edited:

Under...SECTION 4 SUMMARY OF SCRIMMAGE KICK
AND FREE-KICK ACTIVITIES

Table 6-4
RESULT OF ACTIVITIES DURING SCRIMMAGE KICKS AND
FREE KICKS

Scrimmage Kick(ie..punt)

1. Kick recovered beyond the neutral zone may be advanced only by R. 2. Kick recovered in or behind the neutral zone may be advanced by either team. 3. Kick not recovered by either team belongs to R. 4. Kick jointly recovered by R and K belongs to R.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT