ADVERTISEMENT

Winning Streaks

86CulpGrad

VaPreps All District
May 29, 2001
So EV had their 44-in-row (regular season) streak end this past Friday. That's pretty good. Who has more than that in the "modern era", say since 1980? I know Phoebus/Hampton won a few in a row.

So EV had their 44-in-row (regular season) streak end this past Friday. That's pretty good. Who has more than that in the "modern era", say since 1980? I know Phoebus/Hampton won a few in a row.
Highland Springs is currently at 38 in a row including playoffs.

Reactions: rainman17
I’m going to go out on a limb here and say anything after laser disc era is modern :)

I'm sorry, I'll just ask: how is it that football is THAT bad in EV's neck of the woods? Their schedules, through mostly no fault of their own, are at absolute best purely average in a given year and they mostly border on so shockingly bad it's amazing that so little talent and coaching have managed to pool themselves into one collective area. Since 2013, EV has played five teams in the regular season who have finished with 9 or more wins; you can stretch that number to a whole seven if you include 8+ win teams. It seems to be quite rare that EV faces off against anyone of equal standing until the playoffs.

Listen, 44 games is still 44 games even if you're playing the Sisters of the Poor every week and if 44 games was easy everyone would do it but I'm amazed at how weak that area seems to be in football on an annual basis when looking at EV's run of success in recent years. Does basketball reign supreme and leave football as a complete afterthought? I recognize some lacrosse schools on there, does that affect things? I do recognize some former football powerhouses on the schedule, did the towns shrink or did other areas grow and absorb all the talent/coaching?

Reactions: Rev_Real
I'm sorry, I'll just ask: how is it that football is THAT bad in EV's neck of the woods? Their schedules, through mostly no fault of their own, are at absolute best purely average in a given year and they mostly border on so shockingly bad it's amazing that so little talent and coaching have managed to pool themselves into one collective area. Since 2013, EV has played five teams in the regular season who have finished with 9 or more wins; you can stretch that number to a whole seven if you include 8+ win teams. It seems to be quite rare that EV faces off against anyone of equal standing until the playoffs.

Listen, 44 games is still 44 games even if you're playing the Sisters of the Poor every week and if 44 games was easy everyone would do it but I'm amazed at how weak that area seems to be in football on an annual basis when looking at EV's run of success in recent years. Does basketball reign supreme and leave football as a complete afterthought? I recognize some lacrosse schools on there, does that affect things? I do recognize some former football powerhouses on the schedule, did the towns shrink or did other areas grow and absorb all the talent/coaching?
I would say the Fredericksburg area schools have usually been very good...just a little down over the past couple years. You can see now that they appear to be back on the rise. Culpeper Co. HS hasn't had a good coach since Sorrentino left in 2002.

The population boom in Spotsylvania and Stafford Counties has hurt football, and to an extent, basketball in the area. Most of the Spotsy County football talent had gotten relegated to Massaponax, and the Stafford football talent got relegated mostly to North, Forge, and Mountain View. Demographics in the counties in general have changed too. Also factor in coaching turnover at Spotsy, Chancellor, Riverbend, and Stafford. Back in the 80s and 90s, when football was a beast, there were only a couple of schools in each county, and a much smaller Hispanic population. But now that some county lines have been redrawn and things are starting to settle down, with the addition of new and good coaching hires, teams like Spotsy and Chancellor are back on the rise. EV took most of Culpeper High's talent and has better admin at the top. Culpeper High was usually solid when they were AAA and when EV first opened.

I would say yes rezoning, bad coaching and the sport has taken a hit in general. Not all but many youth programs and middle school programs have lost in numbers. Basketball, lacrosse and baseball have seen increase in numbers. So a little of each problem put together creates a big problem.

The population boom in Spotsylvania and Stafford Counties has hurt football, and to an extent, basketball in the area. Most of the Spotsy County football talent had gotten relegated to Massaponax, and the Stafford football talent got relegated mostly to North, Forge, and Mountain View. Demographics in the counties in general have changed too. Also factor in coaching turnover at Spotsy, Chancellor, Riverbend, and Stafford. Back in the 80s and 90s, when football was a beast, there were only a couple of schools in each county, and a much smaller Hispanic population. But now that some county lines have been redrawn and things are starting to settle down, with the addition of new and good coaching hires, teams like Spotsy and Chancellor are back on the rise. EV took most of Culpeper High's talent and has better admin at the top. Culpeper High was usually solid when they were AAA and when EV first opened.
Culpeper was awful in AAA from 2003-2008....and awful in AA from 2008 until last year. IMO all because of coaching. Talent has always been there, even when EV opened. The concussion thing has a big effect IMO and it will get worse over time. More and more teams will disappear.

Culpeper was awful in AAA from 2003-2008....and awful in AA from 2008 until last year. IMO all because of coaching. Talent has always been there, even when EV opened. The concussion thing has a big effect IMO and it will get worse over time. More and more teams will disappear.
You absolutely hate Culpeper and it cracks me up haha

You absolutely hate Culpeper and it cracks me up haha
That’s where you’re wrong. I hate incompetence. I’m also a life-long redskin fan. Similar situation in my mind. No reason they should be that bad for so long. I knew last year was fools gold. Feel bad for the players.

Ok my question is from the beginning why are we glorifying a streak that doesn't include the playoffs?

Last edited:
Ok my question is from the beginning why are we glorifying a streak that doesn't include the playoffs?
USA Today just recognized a Florida team for the longest regular season winning streak in the state history. It means something to those fans,and 40 wins in a row in football is impressive at ANY level,regardless of how or when it’s done. Jmo

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
My guess is if your team had 40+ in a row in any manner you'd be pretty happy with it. I don't think we're "glorifying" it, it's just a great accomplishment irregardless of any detail you want to point out.

I don't necessarily think it is a case of football in the Fredericksburg area being bad (although the Battlefield hasn't been good overall since EV came back in 2017). EV's streak got started in 2015 and 2016 when they were in the Northwestern District. Anyway, 44 games is 44 games for sure.
Maybe coupled with playing in an average (mediocre?) district, EV has mastered the art of scheduling - their non-district games during the streak include Manassas Park, Culpeper, Turner Ashby, Orange, Albemarle, Charlottesville, Brentsville (thanks Fourseasonsfootball.com!). I know it takes two to tango but has EV tried to schedule the better programs in the Fredericksburg area - Colonial Forge, Massaponnax, Louisa, North Stafford, Mountain View, even Brooke Point or Riverbend (both of which are good sometimes), even Stafford won the 2017 5D Region. After they left the NWD, did they try to keep playing Sherando? Didn't see any Loudoun County schools on their non-district schedules either. Harrisonburg? Martinsburg WV? Did they ever reach out to try and play a western Prince William area Class 6 school? Not far from EV.

I don't necessarily think it is a case of football in the Fredericksburg area being bad (although the Battlefield hasn't been good overall since EV came back in 2017). EV's streak got started in 2015 and 2016 when they were in the Northwestern District. Anyway, 44 games is 44 games for sure.
Maybe coupled with playing in an average (mediocre?) district, EV has mastered the art of scheduling - their non-district games during the streak include Manassas Park, Culpeper, Turner Ashby, Orange, Albemarle, Charlottesville, Brentsville (thanks Fourseasonsfootball.com!). I know it takes two to tango but has EV tried to schedule the better programs in the Fredericksburg area - Colonial Forge, Massaponnax, Louisa, North Stafford, Mountain View, even Brooke Point or Riverbend (both of which are good sometimes), even Stafford won the 2017 5D Region. After they left the NWD, did they try to keep playing Sherando? Didn't see any Loudoun County schools on their non-district schedules either. Harrisonburg? Martinsburg WV? Did they ever reach out to try and play a western Prince William area Class 6 school? Not far from EV.
The short answer is, yes, they have tried to schedule other teams. Like you said, it takes 2 to tango.

The short answer is, yes, they have tried to schedule other teams. Like you said, it takes 2 to tango.
Each year I'm less and less concerned about a teams schedule. I mean the previous 2 years EV lost to 2 teams: Dinwiddie and Lake Taylor. Both in the last seconds of the game, and it had nothing to do with their regular season opponents IMO.

Winning streaks don't mean a thing, if you ain't got that ring.

I feel confident that every single program with a multi year regular season winning streak, would trade it for a 5 game playoff winning streak.

Reactions: aw19752
Winning streaks don't mean a thing, if you ain't got that ring.

I feel confident that every single program with a multi year regular season winning streak, would trade it for a 5 game playoff winning streak.
Absolutely. But that doesn't mean you can't celebrate success over a long period because you didn't win a state title. I don't think anyone is going to hang a banner over a regular season winning streak. Nothing wrong with recognizing it though.

Reactions: bulldog1150
I'm sure players/coaches would love something like that. Probably take a lot to get higher-ups to pay for it though.
Salem has traveled to Dinwiddie and will travel to Martinsburg, WV, next season, so they seem willing and able. I'm sure you know more about the situation in Culpeper County. Really, this is a game I've wanted to see for a while, the rising power EV against the established power Salem.

I vote for a Salem-Eastern View match up in the next rotation.

That would be good. I’d like to see Salem continue the two-year agreements undertaken with teams like Dinwiddie and Martinsburg - high-quality programs from other parts of the state, or even out-of-state. Those inter-regional matchups are really intriguing, and I think both teams involved benefit from the high level of competition. I’d just like to see the games played on Saturday, for the good of the ol’ bottom line. It’s hard to put lots of rear ends in the seats at 7:00 Friday evening when the schools are more than a couple of hours apart.

Reactions: CavsGrad
Salem has traveled to Dinwiddie and will travel to Martinsburg, WV, next season, so they seem willing and able. I'm sure you know more about the situation in Culpeper County. Really, this is a game I've wanted to see for a while, the rising power EV against the established power Salem.
I’m not “in the know”, but it seems like since EV opened, the school board/admin won’t spend any additional money on one school unless they spend the exact same amount of money on the other school.

Reactions: washwell
Just to clarify, Eastern View was never in the Northwestern District. I believe you are thinking of the Evergreen District.

Just to clarify, Eastern View was never in the Northwestern District. I believe you are thinking of the Evergreen District.
That's right...MP and Brentsville were district games. And you can count on EV playing Orange/Culpeper til the end of time most likely.

Oh that is right - EV and CC were with the Fauquier County schools, Brentsville - totally forgot that MP was with them as well. To think that MP had to drop football last season!

As it should be.
Taxpayer money...yes. Culpeper folk (parents from CCHS) get bent because EV has "better" stuff. Well, when your teams generate a lot more money than the other school, that's going to happen. Maybe if changes were made so CCHS teams generated more money, the parents might not get so bent.

Taxpayer money...yes. Culpeper folk (parents from CCHS) get bent because EV has "better" stuff. Well, when your teams generate a lot more money than the other school, that's going to happen. Maybe if changes were made so CCHS teams generated more money, the parents might not get so bent.
Changes like kids attending the school they are districted for?.... Imagine that.....

Cool streak, 44 is 44 and as Friday proved anything can happen. Not sure why the OOD schedule has been against poor performing teams but it has been. Even if the schools have equal budgets the individual departments can figure out how to divide the pie. Additionally, do things like gate money go to the individual schools or to school division? What about boosters? I'm guessing that boosters are dedicated to individual schools and that money could be used for a long(ish) trip every other year.

joining this thread late. To recap off of most things already said, spotsy county schools went to a new low the last few years as far as football team talent. As far as streaks: why not celebrate it. Something the kids can pride themselves of and the program. Only 6 teams in the state of VA can go undefeated in a season, even if that. So to have a streak like that that counts playoffs is damn impressive.

To go off the EV schedule talks. Culpeper schools bus issues are awful and the county usually has a rule of thumb of playing schools as close as possible. I am sure they will allow a salem trip or Dinwiddie once a season but to have week in and week out is tough. However, Coach Hat and the Ad would love to host any powerhouse. Second to Lousia, EV puts on a show on friday nights for the fans and love to pack both sides of the bleachers,

Reactions: 86CulpGrad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT