ADVERTISEMENT

With Phoebus win and Norcom loss today playoff picture for region A firming up

Lafayette

VaPreps All District
Aug 26, 2001
This Friday’s Warhill/York will probably settle seeding. If York wins they most likely cement # 2 seeding with Hopewell #1, Phoebus #3, Lafayette #4 and Norcom #5.
If York loses, York drops to #3 and if Lafayette then defeats Warhill in game 10 with Warwick beating Gloucester I believe Lafayette then beats out York for # 3 by a very slim margin. Is it an advantage? Mostly yes, as even though Norcom lost today 20-0, they are still much more dangerous than the teams below them. But playing either Hopewell or Phoebus away in the next round is about an equal challenge, only the travel time is different!

This Friday’s Warhill/York will probably settle seeding. If York wins they most likely cement # 2 seeding with Hopewell #1, Phoebus #3, Lafayette #4 and Norcom #5.
If York loses, York drops to #3 and if Lafayette then defeats Warhill in game 10 with Warwick beating Gloucester I believe Lafayette then beats out York for # 3 by a very slim margin. Is it an advantage? Mostly yes, as even though Norcom lost today 20-0, they are still much more dangerous than the teams below them. But playing either Hopewell or Phoebus away in the next round is about an equal challenge, only the travel time is different!

All I'll say is don't be surprised with the power rankings come Monday.

All I'll say is don't be surprised with the power rankings come Monday.
Still two games to go. Heard York may go to #1but unfortunately they end their season with winless class 2 Bruton so any lead will be tough to hang onto. And against Warhill/York I pick Warhill.
Of course Warhills last game against 1 win Grafton and leading only by 1 TD early in the 4th Q (21-14) until scoring two late TDs does not inspire real confidence. Lafayette scored 80 points on Grafton.

Last edited:
Hopewell closes out the season with 2 more class 5 schools. Prince George currently a 2 loss team and Matoaca a 3 loss team. Mathematically with us beating a winless class 5 Meadowbrook this past week won’t help us and we could slip down as low as 3rd this week. But with wins to close out the season we will finish up with the 1seed. But being around that team they have an anybody anywhere mentally.

Hopewell closes out the season with 2 more class 5 schools. Prince George currently a 2 loss team and Matoaca a 3 loss team. Mathematically with us beating a winless class 5 Meadowbrook this past week won’t help us and we could slip down as low as 3rd this week. But with wins to close out the season we will finish up with the 1seed. But being around that team they have an anybody anywhere mentally.
I don’t know seeing all the refs these days if home field is that much of an advantage unless it is a very long haul. In Region A everyone is within an hour or so of each other.

York has won against Warhill and Norcom lost to Maury. Looks Lafayette is pretty much locked into the #4 seed now. It looks like Hopewell #1 with York probably 2 but maybe 3 with Phoebus. Lafayette has one of their better players, a transfer from King William, Marc Greshsam quit the team. He was a fine player, excellent punt returner and W/R- Rb. He will be missed. Don’t know exact reasons why last years all state player with KW left the team. Saw him on the sidelines inactive two weeks ago and totally absent this week against Poquoson.

York has won against Warhill and Norcom lost to Maury. Looks Lafayette is pretty much locked into the #4 seed now. It looks like Hopewell #1 with York probably 2 but maybe 3 with Phoebus. Lafayette has one of their better players, a transfer from King William, Marc Greshsam quit the team. He was a fine player, excellent punt returner and W/R- Rb. He will be missed. Don’t know exact reasons why last years all state player with KW left the team. Saw him on the sidelines inactive two weeks ago and totally absent this week against Poquoson.
That's very unfortunate to hear about Gresham quitting the team. He was an awesome talent. I hope things can get resolved and he can return. Definitely wish him and the Rams nothing but the best. I don't see Phoebus falling any further than the second seed especially with York playing a winless Class 2 Bruton next week and Phoebus playing a 4 win Class 4 Menchville.

That's very unfortunate to hear about Gresham quitting the team. He was an awesome talent. I hope things can get resolved and he can return. Definitely wish him and the Rams nothing but the best. I don't see Phoebus falling any further than the second seed especially with York playing a winless Class 2 Bruton next week and Phoebus playing a 4 win Class 4 Menchville.
Your probably right/ everyone playing Bruton really gets punished on power points and it may well cost York. We get pass happy Norcom, not the draw I wanted.
For Phoebus and York I calculate in game 10, Phoebus will gain 12 more points. Therefore if York on Monday is not more than 1.2 points ahead of Phoebus then York will probably fall to #3. I assume since both play mostly district teams the bonus points will probably even out with Phoebus having the lone loss.

Last edited:
Your probably right/ everyone playing Bruton really gets punished on power points and it may well cost York. We get pass happy Norcom, not the draw I wanted.
For Phoebus and York I calculate in game 10, Phoebus will gain 12 more points. Therefore if York on Monday is not more than 1.2 points ahead of Phoebus then York will probably fall to #3. I assume since both play mostly district teams the bonus points will probably even out with Phoebus having the lone loss.
Phoebus' lone loss was against a 2 loss 4A Lake Taylor team. Phoebus best win was against 5A Woodside, which was undefeated. Noone York has played is better than Woodside. My top four I believe: Hopewell #1 Phoebus #2 York #3 Lafeyette #4. I believe Hopewell will come out of 3A, But any one of the top 4 teams has a shot. I believe Phoebus has the best chance, athletes and defense to upset Hopewell. Whoever plays Hopewell better put up some points. Henderson will be tough to stop.

Phoebus' lone loss was against a 2 loss 4A Lake Taylor team. Phoebus best win was against 5A Woodside, which was undefeated. Noone York has played is better than Woodside. My top four I believe: Hopewell #1 Phoebus #2 York #3 Lafeyette #4. I believe Hopewell will come out of 3A, But any one of the top 4 teams has a shot. I believe Phoebus has the best chance, athletes and defense to upset Hopewell. Whoever plays Hopewell better put up some points. Henderson will be tough to stop.
Sounds plausible. After seeing Woodside play I wouldn’t say they are neccesarily better than any team York has faced though.

Sounds plausible. After seeing Woodside play I wouldn’t say they are neccesarily better than any team York has faced though.

I've seen York, Warhill, and Lafayette this year and I'd say Woodside would beat Warhill and York. Not too sure about Lafayette with Gresham being off the team now. I still think the Rams are the strongest team in the BRD. This is my unbiased opinion.

I've seen York, Warhill, and Lafayette this year and I'd say Woodside would beat Warhill and York. Not too sure about Lafayette with Gresham being off the team now. I still think the Rams are the strongest team in the BRD. This is my unbiased opinion.
Still not sure what happened to Gresham. Having gone all the games it seems his involvement seemed to get smaller and smaller. With three excellent backs in large Wilkinson at 6 1 and 220 running inside and V. Phillips return in game 4 with excellent speed and the breaking out of soph Adrian Warren in starting, one of the fastest backs I’ve seen at Lafayette who can also catch the ball, Gresham just seemed the odd man out and at W/R in the wing T though an excellent player. I guess we will all know in a few weeks how it works out.

Who has York played that is better than Woodside?
Who has York Played that is better than Woodside? Please tell. Was it Gloucester 17 -13 who is a common opponent? Phoebus and Woodside blew Gloucester away, Was it New Kent 29-28? Was it Tabb 10 - 7? Was Lafeyette 28-21? or was it Warhill 35-28? In my opinion Woodside beats all of those teams including York.

Last edited:

Who has York Played that is better than Woodside? Please tell. Was it Gloucester 17 -13 who is a common opponent? Phoebus and Woodside blew Gloucester away, Was it New Kent 29-28? Was it Tabb 10 - 7? Was Lafeyette 28-21? or was it Warhill 35-28? In my opinion Woodside beats all of those teams including York.
Lafayette’s York was game 3 without Senior Rb Phillips, a lot of new starters and 150 yards in penalties, something like the Woodside/Phoebus game was. Today’s Lafayette team would win imo.
Of course score comparisons can be dangerous. Last year a 3 loss York team lost in the playoff to Phoebus by a close 21-13 score.

Last edited:

Is this a joke? Put Woodside in BRD and they blow out everyone. You saw Woodside play an extremely athletic and motivated defense. York struggling against Gloucester is all I need to know about them.

Is this a joke? Put Woodside in BRD and they blow out everyone. You saw Woodside play an extremely athletic and motivated defense. York struggling against Gloucester is all I need to know about them.
Absolutely. I agree. Rams, Don't make excuses for your team losing to York. Phoebus lost to Lake Taylor but noone is making excuses. Phoebus beat Woodside in an ugly game and nobody is making excuses. Injuries are part of the game. The Phantoms have a few injuries as well. You win as a team and lose as a team. Maybe York had 4 starters out during the Gloucester game..lol?? That would explain the close score I reckon. Anyone can lose on any given night but in my opinion Hopewell or Phoebus comes out of 3A.

Absolutely. I agree. Rams, Don't make excuses for your team losing to York. Phoebus lost to Lake Taylor but noone is making excuses. Phoebus beat Woodside in an ugly game and nobody is making excuses. Injuries are part of the game. The Phantoms have a few injuries as well. You win as a team and lose as a team. Maybe York had 4 starters out during the Gloucester game..lol?? That would explain the close score I reckon. Anyone can lose on any given night but in my opinion Hopewell or Phoebus comes out of 3A.

Cosign

In the next four weeks we will see. I agree Hopewell is the clear favorite.

FYI - Woodside only beat Gloucester 14-0 I wouldn't say they "Blew Gloucester away"

Reactions: Lafayette
FYI - Woodside only beat Gloucester 14-0 I wouldn't say they "Blew Gloucester away"
They shut them out and beat them by 2 TDs. Phoebus blew Gloucester out. There isnt no disputing that. If Woodside played the Rams or the Falcons my money is on Woodside all day but thats why they play the games.

I just hope York and Lafayette has all of their players at 100%.
So do I. In our last game we play 8-1 Warhill, in town rival. A tough physical game I doubt the starters will get much rest. Norcom is a tough round one game for Lafayette.
Big question is with a win or loss meaningless for the playoffs how much do you play the regulars for a moral win??

Last edited:
They shut them out and beat them by 2 TDs. Phoebus blew Gloucester out. There isnt no disputing that. If Woodside played the Rams or the Falcons my money is on Woodside all day but thats why they play the games.
Only when you play do you really know. But Warhill’s new HC was DC at Woodside. I wonder what his opinion would be?

Getting snarky! I sure hope the Rams get a chance to see Phoebus!! Lot's of folks want to see that game! And best to settle it on the field!

I'd caution the PD love. Outside to Phoebus and Woodside, the PD is really really bad. I have not seen Woodside play, but sounded like they couldn't get out of their own way vs Phoebus - sometimes that happens.

BRD is 5-0 vs PD this season.

In looking at Woodside's schedule, they haven't played anyone worth mentioning w/the exception of Phoebus, so I wouldn't necessarily use them as a measuring stick.

I caught that first game against Goochland. That's why I said that I wasn't exactly sure about Woodside beating Lafayette because it was the first game. It's hard to gauge a good team after the first game. I think Woodside has been more impressive based on the eye test in a few games I've seen them. Nothing is guaranteed,. This is why the games that matters are the ones played on the field head to head.

Getting snarky! I sure hope the Rams get a chance to see Phoebus!! Lot's of folks want to see that game! And best to settle it on the field!

I'd caution the PD love. Outside to Phoebus and Woodside, the PD is really really bad. I have not seen Woodside play, but sounded like they couldn't get out of their own way vs Phoebus - sometimes that happens.

BRD is 5-0 vs PD this season.
I only spoke of Phoebus, Woodsise and Gloucester. Warwick is good. From your analogy York struggled against a not so good Gloucester team, winning by four points. York is the BRD top team. lol None of the BRD teams played Phoebus, Woodside, Warwick, or Hampton. Gloucester would probably go 8-2 in the BRD. Its my opinion though. York or the Rams will have there chance at Darling Stadium in 3 weeks against Phoebus. We shall see.

I only spoke of Phoebus, Woodsise and Gloucester. Warwick is good. From your analogy York struggled against a not so good Gloucester team, winning by four points. York is the BRD top team. lol None of the BRD teams played Phoebus, Woodside, Warwick, or Hampton. Gloucester would probably go 8-2 in the BRD. Its my opinion though. York or the Rams will have there chance at Darling Stadium in 3 weeks against Phoebus. We shall see.
York will be there in three weeks based on seeding. If Lafayette gets by Norcom at home it will travel to Hopewell, a field I have never been to. Been to Louisa, Dinwiddie, JM, Courtland, Chancellor and Kings Fork in the more current past.

I actually spoke with Matt Hatfield and he believes that York will retain the 2nd seed over Phoebus even tho they won't score any points by playing winless 2A Bruton. However the winner of the Warhill/ Lafayette game will help the Falcons because they've beaten both teams and those points may holdoff a Phoebus win over 4 win Class 4A Menchville. To be honest, I don't think it matters to Phoebus where they play.

I actually spoke with Matt Hatfield and he believes that York will retain the 2nd seed over Phoebus even tho they won't score any points by playing winless 2A Bruton. However the winner of the Warhill/ Lafayette game will help the Falcons because they've beaten both teams and those points may holdoff a Phoebus win over 4 win Class 4A Menchville. To be honest, I don't think it matters to Phoebus where they play.
I have confirmed the same here with one of our coaches/ York will be seed #2. So in week 2 if it all works out it will be Phoebus at York at Bailey Field. I would like to be there if our proposed game with Hopewell is on Saturday and York/Phoebus on Friday. In the past many of round 2 were on Saturday but not so much anymore.

Last edited:
York will be there in three weeks based on seeding. If Lafayette gets by Norcom at home it will travel to Hopewell, a field I have never been to. Been to Louisa, Dinwiddie, JM, Courtland, Chancellor and Kings Fork in the more current past.

When you come to Hopewell make sure to bring a seat cushion lol. Our visitor seating is concrete. We wouldn’t want you getting too comfortable.

When you come to Hopewell make sure to bring a seat cushion lol. Our visitor seating is concrete. We wouldn’t want you getting too comfortable.
We should (repeat should get by Norcom) and I’ve never been to your field. I’ll be coming up Rt 5, cross the river and head up RT 10. From there I’m not sure where it is or how parking works, especially if at night. But my old butt always needs a cushion, our seats are aluminum- no softer.

Looking at the current seeding, I feel bad for York. At the 2 seed they are playing a very underrated Petersburg who are a lot better than their (soon to be) 5-5 record. They played class 6a 2 seed Thomas Dale to a last second loss. Loss to class 4 Dinwiddie close, class 5 Prince George close, Norcom, and Hopewell. All 5 of those teams are strong playoff teams. Petersburg will be a tough first round matchup that I wouldn’t count out.

Reactions: one man
Looking at the current seeding, I feel bad for York. At the 2 seed they are playing a very underrated Petersburg who are a lot better than their (soon to be) 5-5 record. They played class 6a 2 seed Thomas Dale to a last second loss. Loss to class 4 Dinwiddie close, class 5 Prince George close, Norcom, and Hopewell. All 5 of those teams are strong playoff teams. Petersburg will be a tough first round matchup that I wouldn’t count out.
Agree that the first round games this year are no cake walks like other years or classes. Norcom’s pass attack has me nervous, Petersburg I agree is very dangerous and BT Washington has some players and no slouch even at 4-5 in their district, lastly is Tabb who play has really improved in the 2 Nd half of the season- ask York how close that game was.

We should (repeat should get by Norcom) and I’ve never been to your field. I’ll be coming up Rt 5, cross the river and head up RT 10. From there I’m not sure where it is or how parking works, especially if at night. But my old butt always needs a cushion, our seats are aluminum- no softer.

It’s actually in the middle of a neighborhood, behind the old high school (now converted in to loft apartments) if you get to the stadium early you can park on the street along the side of the stadium N 12th Ave. aside from that it’s street parking through the neighborhood. Parking is a big complaint when visiting our stadium.

Agree that the first round games this year are no cake walks like other years or classes. Norcom’s pass attack has me nervous, Petersburg I agree is very dangerous and BT Washington has some players and no slouch even at 4-5 in their district, lastly is Tabb who play has really improved in the 2 Nd half of the season- ask York how close that game was.

I agree with you there, I don’t think our kids will over look another first round game after last years playoff let down.

It’s actually in the middle of a neighborhood, behind the old high school (now converted in to loft apartments) if you get to the stadium early you can park on the street along the side of the stadium N 12th Ave. aside from that it’s street parking through the neighborhood. Parking is a big complaint when visiting our stadium.
Not to get ahead of myself and jinx Lafayette in round 1, but how early is it best to arrive for a 7 pm game?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT