ADVERTISEMENT

Worst school to coach?

Yes, obviously no one is allowed to make any assessment on wrestling but you. No one else could bring any reasonable conclusion/opinion to the table. Sure, my bad.

You can make all the assessments you want. I wasn't trying to dismiss your view, I just personally don't believe time of introduction is the main reason why the US hasn't been as successful at the World level.

No disrespect intended. I apologize I came across that way.

Don't care for either school,I just saidsoccer is for the one's not tough enough to play football.

You just seem bitter about everything. I dont like soccer at all. Only time every watched soccer was watching a girlfriend. But they aren't tough? What makes you think That? It certainly can't be any kind of statistics, because they show their are more injuries and concussions in soccer. I have been involved in football a LONG time playing, coaching, and fan. Dont care for soccer one bit. But to talk bad about them because of their sport is very sad. Not to mention that quite a few do both. So I guess the ones thst do both in HS aren't but half as tough. RIDICULOUS

Reactions: CallMeCoach19
Buddy up here is really discussing soccer...?? The US failed to reach the World Cup after losing to Trinidad and Tobago, a country that has the population size of New Hampshire :D:D:D

Always remember this, the US Soccer program had $1 billion dollars allocated to their "development" program over the next 10 years and they fail to MAKE the WC, the United States Men's Wrestling team WINS the World Championships only given a box of granola bars and a plane ticket.

Put your shinguards back on, Trevor! :):)
Did you try to make a point or were you just rambling? Like it or not Buddy youth football has fallen off the last few years with parents concerned about injuries....what has picked up is soccer (even though soccer has a lot of concussion and leg injuries). Soccer might be picking up in popularity because all you need is a ball and goal, just less expensive to play. I played football not soccer, to be honest I’m not sure I know the rules 100%. I’m just telling you what’s happening and reminding folks that 25 National Championships is way better than zero.....just the facts Buddy.

You just seem bitter about everything. I dont like soccer at all. Only time every watched soccer was watching a girlfriend. But they aren't tough? What makes you think That? It certainly can't be any kind of statistics, because they show their are more injuries and concussions in soccer. I have been involved in football a LONG time playing, coaching, and fan. Dont care for soccer one bit. But to talk bad about them because of their sport is very sad. Not to mention that quite a few do both. So I guess the ones thst do both in HS aren't but half as tough. RIDICULOUS
Honestly I'm sorry I said that to all I may have hurt.

Wrestling won't ever be a staple (like in Eastern Europe and the Middle East) in America for a multitude of reasons. A late introduction to the sport isn't the reason why. We won't get into this on here, but believe me, introduction late to the sport isn't what has held the US back in World Championships in freestyle wrestling.
I'm sorry I said what I said about soccer.

Soltis has been at Page for 6 years now with a 9-51 record. Has a great weight room he's put in at the middle school. Unfortunately for him, not a ton of kids show up regularly during the offseason and summer to lift. I'm sure he's on the hot seat from the fans in the stands, but not sure he is from the administration. He has some athletes on the team, lost a lot of talented kids to graduation this year, but needs the work ethic to be better......but that's for any coach at Page to be successful.
For some reason Page can get a huge turnout for basketball,but football interest is lacking.I guess the Basketball success is the main reason.

Gayder bait thinks he knows a lot about sports. When in fact, he’s never played 1 sport in his life. I talk about the weather every day, this doesn’t make me a meteorologist. Go talk about quilting, something you do every day while watching YouTube.

Yeah they have run 3 state championship coaches out of there.

I don't think Gretna is a "destination" job, but a go there and win and move on! Plus, once a school wins a championship, fans think they are going to win or play for it every year....imo

From 2001 to 2011, Gretna won more games than any school in the state other than Phoebus, if my memory is correct. Won state championship in 03, 04, 07, 08 and 2011. Should have won it in 02, 05, 06, 09 and 10.

Reactions: marine5
Gayder bait thinks he knows a lot about sports. When in fact, he’s never played 1 sport in his life. I talk about the weather every day, this doesn’t make me a meteorologist. Go talk about quilting, something you do every day while watching YouTube.

I can see the surrounding areas around "The Chis" are still producing top end jokes. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes, obviously no one is allowed to make any assessment on wrestling but you. No one else could bring any reasonable conclusion/opinion to the table. Sure, my bad.
Eh, he's kind of right. Russians don't even start wrestling until 8-10 and even many top American coaches don't think kids should start wrestling until a little bit later. When kids start too young, they don't have the right amount of strength, agility, balance, etc to do moves right and develop bad habits. Young kids should focus on developing basic athleticism through things like gymnastics.

My synopsis on why Eastern Block Countries/Middle East Countries blow past us in Freestyle:

1). All they do is wrestle Freestyle: The majority of the wrestling done in the US is Folkstyle. The World Championships and Olympics are wrestled under Freestyle rules.

2). They treat wrestling as an art. The teaching techniques over there revolve around movement, strength, physics, and flexibility. The vast majority of the way wrestling is taught over here is "toughness".

3). They come from a "harder" environment. Shapes their perseverance, grit, etc..

4). They don't have as many options over there for sports. We have kids that play basketball, baseball, and football. 99% of those kids don't play either baseball or basketball and 100% don't play football. They can focus on wrestling.

5). The value system in their countries are WAY different. The coaches are TOUGH. They are hard human beings. Even in an individual sport like wrestling when they take they mat they are representing their family, their wrestling club, and most importantly, their country.

There's a multitude of reasons why Eastern Block Countries and Middle Eastern Countries normally outperform the US in wrestling, but I think these are the most glaring differences in why they are so successful at wrestling.

What do they return and what does Luray return?
Don't know a lot about Page,but Luray loses a lot of their skill players, their Freshman team was 9-1 only loss was to Riveheads 24-14,but you and I both know it is a big difference when you start playing varsity,they will have a lot of growing up to do next year.Several 8th graders on that team too,they do that to have more depth,

I disagree. Nearly every clinic I have atetnded show a higher level of success for athletes (wrestlers included) who begin at 4-5. There are plenty of examples to support both sides. But that is just my opinion. In my experience, the early I can get a kid on the mat or field the better off we all are.

My synopsis on why Eastern Block Countries/Middle East Countries blow past us in Freestyle:

1). All they do is wrestle Freestyle: The majority of the wrestling done in the US is Folkstyle. The World Championships and Olympics are wrestled under Freestyle rules.

2). They treat wrestling as an art. The teaching techniques over there revolve around movement, strength, physics, and flexibility. The vast majority of the way wrestling is taught over here is "toughness".

3). They come from a "harder" environment. Shapes their perseverance, grit, etc..

4). They don't have as many options over there for sports. We have kids that play basketball, baseball, and football. 99% of those kids don't play either baseball or basketball and 100% don't play football. They can focus on wrestling.

5). The value system in their countries are WAY different. The coaches are TOUGH. They are hard human beings. Even in an individual sport like wrestling when they take they mat they are representing their family, their wrestling club, and most importantly, their country.

There's a multitude of reasons why Eastern Block Countries and Middle Eastern Countries normally outperform the US in wrestling, but I think these are the most glaring differences in why they are so successful at wrestling.

I can go with this analysis as well. I've often wondered why the embrace of Foklstyle to such a fanatical degree here?

I can go with this analysis as well. I've often wondered why the embrace of Foklstyle to such a fanatical degree here?

I've always wondered the same thing. Seems like FolkStyle is our "National Pastime" and we have to cling tight to it. I am glad to see kids (Pico and Snyder) pass up on their senior season to head to the OTC or strictly wrestle a freestyle schedule. Odd that those guys (Pico at Cadet, before he bounced for MMA) have such success at the World and Olympic level.

Yeah they have run 3 state championship coaches out of there.
1st left for what he thought would be a better opportunity......the next 2needed to go. If you can’t coach and represent your town in a positive way then leave.

I've always wondered the same thing. Seems like FolkStyle is our "National Pastime" and we have to cling tight to it. I am glad to see kids (Pico and Snyder) pass up on their senior season to head to the OTC or strictly wrestle a freestyle schedule. Odd that those guys (Pico at Cadet, before he bounced for MMA) have such success at the World and Olympic level.
Snyder is still wrestling at Ohio State and Pico is done with wrestling all together.

I disagree. Nearly every clinic I have atetnded show a higher level of success for athletes (wrestlers included) who begin at 4-5. There are plenty of examples to support both sides. But that is just my opinion. In my experience, the early I can get a kid on the mat or field the better off we all are.
success at what level though? As a 10 year old or over their high school career?

Madison County may well be one of the worst places to be a football coach today. For 30+ years, the program was a powerhouse...9 appearances in the state title game under Eddie Dean (300+ wins in his career there and 3 titles). Then he retires and the team has been woeful ever since. 1 or 2 playoff appearances in the last 11-12 years. The football field is also the baseball field and is not in good shape overall. What used to be a packed facility is now an afterthought. When I was dating my wife, fall Friday nights in Madison meant you were at the game (home or away). Not anymore. Since we moved back to Madison a few years ago, it is apparent that the community does not support the team anywhere close to the glory days. I have seen "old timer" Mountaineer fans at Eastern View games ON NIGHTS MADISON HAS HOME GAMES.

Now Coach Rhoades has taken over and seems to be a positive energetic kind of guy. I wish him luck in trying to rebuild. But it looks like the ship has sailed on MCHS football. They are a basketball school.

Madison County may well be one of the worst places to be a football coach today. For 30+ years, the program was a powerhouse...9 appearances in the state title game under Eddie Dean (300+ wins in his career there and 3 titles). Then he retires and the team has been woeful ever since. 1 or 2 playoff appearances in the last 11-12 years. The football field is also the baseball field and is not in good shape overall. What used to be a packed facility is now an afterthought. When I was dating my wife, fall Friday nights in Madison meant you were at the game (home or away). Not anymore. Since we moved back to Madison a few years ago, it is apparent that the community does not support the team anywhere close to the glory days. I have seen "old timer" Mountaineer fans at Eastern View games ON NIGHTS MADISON HAS HOME GAMES.

Now Coach Rhoades has taken over and seems to be a positive energetic kind of guy. I wish him luck in trying to rebuild. But it looks like the ship has sailed on MCHS football. They are a basketball school.

They seemed to have some good athletes last year when they traveled to Stuarts Draft. They were outmatched overall, but I saw some talent

Snyder is still wrestling at Ohio State and Pico is done with wrestling all together.

Yes....I realize where Snyder wrestles and what the situation is with Pico. I was referring to Snyder and Pico forgoing their high school seasons to train solely on freestyle. Snyder has become arguably the best wrestler in the world (although I don't believe he's better than Saduleuv, Romanov, or Yazdani) and Pico was a Cadet World Champion and lost in the Finals of the Junior World Championships to Yazdani (arguably the best wrestler in the world right now). Not to mention owning a 6-0 or 6-1 record against Zain Retheford (2017 Hodge Trophy Winner). They focused their time, effort, and energy on freestyle wrestling (the point of my initial argument) and look how successful they've been. Also, although Synder wrestles at OSU, he also wrestles a full freestyle senior circuit season, that's why his NCAA record last year was only like 17-0, he missed quite a few OSU meets because of Senior events. Snyder also owns an Olympic Gold Medal and is a 2x World Champion at the Senior Level.

No offense to anyone, but wrestling is the most boring high school sports there is.More so than tennis or soccer.

High School wrestling is boring for a number of reasons,

1). It's folkstyle, this style of wrestling is cumbersome and very low scoring compared to it's counterpart, freestyle. This is won a lot by laying on opponents and controlling the match on the mat. Not very much "on-feet" wrestling, plus the rules with high school wrestling "slamming" (weird interpretation) also stifles the matches as well.

2). Not a lot of people have wrestled therefore a lot of people can't relate to the sport. Pretty much everyone has at least thrown a football, shot a basketball, etc...not a lot of people have wrestled.

3). The talent discrepancy in high school is astonishing. 97% of the kids in high school wrestling aren't any good (for a lack of a better statement) and the 3% of kids who are good....are really good. Therefore the 3% crush the 97%, worse (in my eyes) than the "good" and the "bad" in any other sport. Also, even if you're a diehard wrestling fan watching 2 kids in the 97% is also awful to watch because the kids don't know what they are doing.

High school sports in general are tough to watch (unless you have an emotional attachment to the team/game, like a family member) because of the product on the field (bad in general), but wrestling I agree is worse off because of the statements above.

Reactions: CallMeCoach19
They seemed to have some good athletes last year when they traveled to Stuarts Draft. They were outmatched overall, but I saw some talent
That was the 2016 team that went 6-6...their best record in years. But all those players graduated. I think they ended that the 2016 season 20 players plus or minus one or two. The 2017 version went 2-8, beating only Rapp. Co. and Nelson Co.

Hopefully the new coach can ignite some of the former fire; but the last decade has been really hard on Mountaineer football. Several players who could have really helped are at private schools now.

High School wrestling is boring for a number of reasons,

1). It's folkstyle, this style of wrestling is cumbersome and very low scoring compared to it's counterpart, freestyle. This is won a lot by laying on opponents and controlling the match on the mat. Not very much "on-feet" wrestling, plus the rules with high school wrestling "slamming" (weird interpretation) also stifles the matches as well.

2). Not a lot of people have wrestled therefore a lot of people can't relate to the sport. Pretty much everyone has at least thrown a football, shot a basketball, etc...not a lot of people have wrestled.

3). The talent discrepancy in high school is astonishing. 97% of the kids in high school wrestling aren't any good (for a lack of a better statement) and the 3% of kids who are good....are really good. Therefore the 3% crush the 97%, worse (in my eyes) than the "good" and the "bad" in any other sport. Also, even if you're a diehard wrestling fan watching 2 kids in the 97% is also awful to watch because the kids don't know what they are doing.

High school sports in general are tough to watch (unless you have an emotional attachment to the team/game, like a family member) because of the product on the field (bad in general), but wrestling I agree is worse off because of the statements above.

I certainly don't find it as boring as some other sports. I had a bunch of friends wrestle so I went with the team and watched and messed around with them a bit. Then doing clock for it i got to learn a lot.

But I have to disagree about high school sports, sure they aren't as GOOD as college or pro, but I would much rather watch HS. I dont watch NFL nearly as much anymore. College is much higher on my list

I certainly don't find it as boring as some other sports. I had a bunch of friends wrestle so I went with the team and watched and messed around with them a bit. Then doing clock for it i got to learn a lot.

But I have to disagree about high school sports, sure they aren't as GOOD as college or pro, but I would much rather watch HS. I dont watch NFL nearly as much anymore. College is much higher on my list
College football and Basketball for me.....they can take the NBA and NFL off my tv, I never watch either anymore. I turn down free tickets to both sports at least 2-3 times a year.

From 2001 to 2011, Gretna won more games than any school in the state other than Phoebus, if my memory is correct. Won state championship in 03, 04, 07, 08 and 2011. Should have won it in 02, 05, 06, 09 and 10.
I believe it was10 I think so too. They didn't know how to adapt to the run very well. Bad gap adjustment. They tried but then were killed on I believe 3 pass plays.

1st left for what he thought would be a better opportunity......the next 2needed to go. If you can’t coach and represent your town in a positive way then leave.
I agree on the third one gave a bad impression to visiting teams with his leadership. I thought the second one was excellent until the town rode him about not running up the score on everyone. Yes the first one did leave to a perceived better job at a larger school. You see how that panned out. If he was still there the spread would be alive and well particularly with this upcoming group.

I think a lot of sports just have limited fan bases (at least in SWVA) because of a lack of understanding of the game. I make no bones about being primarily a wrestling and soccer fan, so those two are high on my interest. I love football and basketball, so I try to follow them as much as possible. But I don't get into baseball, therefor watching it can be painful. I had a friend who played field hockey in college, so I went to a few of her games to support her. It was excruciating. I just had nothing to relate to and get on board with.
As for those other 97% of kids wrestling (or playing most sports), it does hurt to watch. I still commend the kids for being out there, and the coaches for trying to build them up...but shew it can be ugly.

Reactions: 44kennedy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT