ADVERTISEMENT

Would Appo win the 4A west?

I do think we can compete at 4A level last year and this year, and maybe next year. Everyone trying to count us out next year. We have a lot of talent coming back. The game at Amherst last week showed me one thing, OUR TEAM IS READY FOR ANYBODY. Our QB has grown so much this season and showed himself approved. He had a lot of dropped balls this season as well. Expect us to throw ball in playoffs not that kinks been ironed out. I dont know enough about 4 A to say if we would win it all, but I know this team would stand a chance to win it all in 1A-4A.

I think Appo would beat many 6A teams besides the elite NoVA and Hampton Roads teams. I could see them beating teams like Riverbend, Dale, Manchester, Battlefield, etc.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
U don't get the Nelson , chatham, gretna games every wk, those bigger teams would wear them down if they had to play them every wk. I want to point out that in my opinion Amherst is a good team but not great .

I guess that is a good enough reason Rustburg and Amherst dropped Appo from the schedule next year.
I am glad because I like their field their field the least
What makes you so sure? Because yall fumbled on the 3? Because you didnt have your QB? How do you give us credit and then follow it up with a statement like this.
come on I said beat us again, geez. I have Appomattox credit and they deserved it. But Amherst also has a really good team and didn't have a good game that night. Appomattox is really good but I don't think they would be Amherst again. Maybe Apoomattox will have a bad game when it matters most.

Last edited:
The reason they didn't have a good game against Appo the last 2 yrs. was Appo is way better in all phases of the game. The talent between the 2 teams is not even close. As I stated b4 9 out 10 all day.

The reason they didn't have a good game against Appo the last 2 yrs. was Appo is way better in all phases of the game. The talent between the 2 teams is not even close. As I stated b4 9 out 10 all day.

I believe it was 2000, Gilliams Ratings had a 1A rated as the top school in the state....
I doubt that it was in 2000. In 2000 Centreville (12-2) was the Division 6 Champ and Heritage Newport News (14-0) was the Division 5 Champ. Heritage was ranked as high as 14th in some National Polls in 2000. That is the Heritage team that some of the Dinwiddie posters here mention, in the discussions about loaded teams from that era.

How bout it Gilliams did you rate a 1A team above Heritage and Centreville in 2000, and if so, who were they??

I think Appomattox would beat Riverbend and Battlefield. I think they would lose in a close one with both Dale and Manchester. Appomattox would win 3A, but not 4A.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Maybe they would maybe they wouldn't, we will never know, BUT they haven't won their classification this year, so how about we see if they do that this year before we say if they can win others. They certainly are the favorites, but they have 4 more games to win this year
GREAT POST!!!

2000's 1A champ was Riverheards (the 2A champ was 12-2) but nothing seems to particularly strike me about that season that makes you think "best in the state" even by formula. Couple one score wins, couple two score wins. Good team but perhaps he was thinking of another year.

2000's 1A champ was Riverheards (the 2A champ was 12-2) but nothing seems to particularly strike me about that season that makes you think "best in the state" even by formula. Couple one score wins, couple two score wins. Good team but perhaps he was thinking of another year.
Didn't King William beat Honaker also that year? I think that was Heath Miller's senior year.

I spoke with AD couple weeks ago and he said Rustburg is still on. We have renewed our old 80s 90s rivalry "Battle of the Lantern." I dont see that game going away anytime soon, both teams are right down street from each other and both bring big crowds (gate money is good). You are right about Amherst pulling out though. I know we are doing a LCA benefit game too before season. I know we are keeping Heritage on schedule too. I know about 2 new teams that are to replace Nelson, Amherst, but Im not going to list them because its not in stone yet. I LOVE THE MATCH UP of one team AD is going for. Team I dont ever remember us playing and yall gonna love this it as well.
Since you are in the know I have personally contacted your AD a couple of times and didn't get a response. What gives? Too far of a trip?

Since you are in the know I have personally contacted your AD a couple of times and didn't get a response. What gives? Too far of a trip?
What school are you asking about? Chris has definitely been busy last 3 weeks with playoffs (vball, football) and conference awards stuff. Who are you referring too?

What school are you asking about? Chris has definitely been busy last 3 weeks with playoffs (vball, football) and conference awards stuff. Who are you referring too?
Lake Taylor my fault I typed it in revised message but the first went thru only. I saw y'all were looking and emailed the AD a couple of times because we are having problems finding games. And since Appo is getting a lot of talk about how they can compete with 4A's we were up for the challenge and would love to come there first.

Lake Taylor my fault I typed it in revised message but the first went thru only. I saw y'all were looking and emailed the AD a couple of times because we are having problems finding games. And since Appo is getting a lot of talk about how they can compete with 4A's we were up for the challenge and would love to come there first.
Oh wow? Powerhouse Lake Taylor. I know our AD and Coach is probably a little more cautious on who they schedule for the upcoming years. We will have a drop off in talent in next 2 years. We are losing a lot of seniors this year and its going to be hard to replace some of the holes. We will definitely be contenders due to the coaching. Im not speaking for them, nor do I know the reasoning for him not emailing you back. I would suggest you email Coach Smith too and let him know your intentions. I really dont see this one manifesting because of the distance. I know its like 3 hours over there. I know our fans would probably have a fit having to travel that far for an away game. Personally, I would have loved to see a Lake Taylor vs. 2015 or 2016 Appo team.

u guys down in apo have won 1 title
U have not won a second yet. . And you are talking lk u can beat any body in state. If u do win state again u want be first team to win back to back
If u had to play the schedule that these bigger schools played every wk u would be hurting.dogwood overall is weak after Dan river u fans are getting carried away with we can beat anybody.it would be a long ride home if u schedule lake taylor

Reactions: wikki
Disagree with your part of the schedule being weak. Have demolished the best in the seminole the last 2 yrs( other than JF which was not on the schedule). Rustburg #1 in 3A, Heritage 3A, Amherst #5 in 4A. Give example of a team in 3A or 4A and I might see it. Their schedule has been very tough. With 757 students playing schools 2x their size. Won't beat 2 or 3 top in level 4A but could handle anything that 3A has to offer.

Disagree with your part of the schedule being weak. Have demolished the best in the seminole the last 2 yrs( other than JF which was not on the schedule). Rustburg #1 in 3A, Heritage 3A, Amherst #5 in 4A. Give example of a team in 3A or 4A and I might see it. Their schedule has been very tough. With 757 students playing schools 2x their size. Won't beat 2 or 3 top in level 4A but could handle anything that 3A has to offer.

u guys down in apo have won 1 title
U have not won a second yet. . And you are talking lk u can beat any body in state. If u do win state again u want be first team to win back to back
If u had to play the schedule that these bigger schools played every wk u would be hurting.dogwood overall is weak after Dan river u fans are getting carried away with we can beat anybody.it would be a long ride home if u schedule lake taylor
I agree with @nctarheel about our scheduling being weak. I DO AGREE with you @Center5717 on the issue of Appo not winning states this year. I am jumping the gun a bit huh? You are correct, whole lot of ball left in this season and some good teams still in the hunt.
As far as our fans getting carried away thinking we can beat anyone in state. NOPE, not this guy. That is the posters on these boards. I dont see Appo fans on here posting stuff like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: wikki
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT