ADVERTISEMENT

WSET stirring the pot?

Mar 11, 2013
I was in shock by the announcer covering the game with Altavista and Central, why would you ask a player to deliver a message to the team you are playing next week? This does nothing but stir the pot in my opinion. Was this a ratings ploy by WSET? Lol

I think PM and Altavista has been had

It does appear that WSET is trying to stir things up. I'm pretty sure the quote from PM players before the season was "The State title runs through Altavista". Well WSET took that and ran with it.

And though I may not like what the player from Altavista said last night, why was he asked that to begin with??? And why was it broadcast??? And what else was he supposed to say really..especially if WSET truly has been attempting to stir the pot for a while now.

I don't like this. I don't like the media playing games like this. These are two well run programs that are being sensationalized for ratings.

Re: I think PM and Altavista has been had

Can't really blame the kid, he was asked a question and was caught off guard, so he responded the best a high school kid knows.

No I don't blame him at all. It was a stupid question that should have never been asked.

What question was he asked and what was his reply?

I totally agree that it looks like WSET is stirring the pot. I am sure that during preseason when Feldkamp was interviewing PM players, someone said that the championship probably runs through Altavista. Hell, that was conventional wisdom from almost everyone at that point. This game doesn't need any hype anyway. Two undefeated teams at 12-0, with tremendous athletes on both teams. AHS had the honor/pleasure of playing against Peoples from Galax last year, personally I can't wait to see Dawson. PM will travel extremely well, so the crowd should be big and the atmosphere, electric.

Going in to the playoffs, PM looked more like a 3 seed than W&L, so this game was going to happen.

First of all this will not increase their ratings which are based are far more important programming over quarterly periods of time, so that is not it. Likely a reporter who just may be a fan or excited because you usually get stringers for this type work. Will it matter? No it won't. You can stir the pot until it burns, but the game will be as big as it is, and not more than that, and it will be huge in the small communities of the "Vistas,'' but that's about as far as it goes, and that will not do much for your ratings. Just enjoy the game and games for what they are, and don't try to add stuff into them that really isn't there.

Absolutely he was stirring the pot for a game that doesn't need stirring. He asked who he asked because he thought he'd get a much better quote than he got. A year or two Maulbeck would have given him the quote he was looking for. FIrst off, I think the PM kid's quote was not pot stirring. If you asked anyone coming into the season they would have said the road to the title would run through Altavista and to win the title you'd have to beat the Colonels. But Fieldkamp tried to make it like PM "wanted a peice" of Altavista. And then he asked Maulbeck right after the game what about PM wanting a piece.... and Maulbeck said "be sure you want what you asked for." Again not a bad answer to the question. WSET doesn't have it's normal Heritage/Brookville postseason story. Look, they picked Altavista/Central Lunenburg as the game of the week over JF/EV. I think most people knew Altavista/Central was not going to be close so he went to ask the question.

I don't see any issues here....

I have to agree for the most part with what MrJ82 said. I am a neutral fan for this great battle and as an Essex fan, I am not sure who I would want to win (pros and cons either way, as I see it).

I think that both replies or comments from the young men (the one from PM and Altavista) were fairly normal and very appropriate for the questions asked. Everyone knows that the title runs through AltaVista with what they had returning etc. and if someone had told the kids that PM wants AltaVista badly, well, the A-Town kid made a valid point "be sure that you want what you asked for." No disrespect there to me. I thought that the kids handled it well.

As for the media stirring the pot, hey this is a obviously a huge game with two 12-0 teams (with proud traditions and current major star power as well, Dawson and Thornhill just to name the huge two!) going at it for a spot in the Final Four against a talented field. It should be hyped. While Essex (and the much of the NND) has great local media support, I bet that a lot of those big schools in Richmond would love more media attention. I looked for info in the Richmond papers this weekend to read about KW, Goochland, and Dinwiddie and couldn't find anything on those games. Maybe I just missed it. Anyway, enjoy it.

Questions 1) About exactly how far do the PM fans have to travel for this one? Could PM supporters outnumber the home team's fans since they travel so well?

2) As an Essex fan (or I will be pulling for Colonial Beach if they upset us, Essex better be ready & practice hard and stay focused, I can guaranteed CB will be ready!), or for other neutral fans, who should or are people pulling for in this one?

Re: I don't see any issues here....

Oh I agree with you both, I see nothing wrong with either players response. What else was the Colonel player supposed to say there? I just don't like how WSET has been spinning what is being said is all.

I know both schools run class act programs, for me I just don't like the news making either school out to be something they're not. But anyway..

Its about a 1 hour and 15 minute drive for PM. I expect half the town to be there lol.
This post was edited on 11/23 7:07 PM by mmqp

I watched it and thought nothing of it. The kid has grit and he plays on a great team. PM doesn't need any more motivation than what's at stake.

There is a chance PM fans could outnumber Altavista fans. If PM brings "half the town" or even half of that, then Colonel fans will need to show up like they have only once this year (home opener vs. Galax). Altavista's sidelines have been, lets call it uncrowded the last couple weeks. Some of that is due to weather and some of that is due to games people knew weren't going to be close. Altavista has the fans as shown by the Gretna games the last two years. So hopefully the stands will be packed even if it's cold for two 12-0 teams.

I think PM will give #1 all he wants and some. I hope the Colonels pull this one out but don't let your mouth write a check your rear end can't cash.

That was not a tv station starting anything, it was a kid running his mouth when you should keep it shut until after the fact.

Which one are you talking about? PM or Altavista?

Sure do hope Parry McCluer brings a lot of hungry fans that will eat in our little Vista community. Maybe we can keep the stop light on for another week. Lol

This post was edited on 11/24 5:43 PM by vtplaya8

I'm eating at Thai '99 in Lynchburg myself.

Blows away all the Thai restaurants in DC for sure lol.

I like Thai Flavor in Hburg myself. Nice family run business, with grandma doing all the cooking.

Yes! That place is good as well. I always promise myself that I'm going to stop there on my way in to BV, but after battling traffic on I-66 and then battling 18-wheelers on I-81 I'm just ready to get the trip over with. Same thing on the way back up to Fairfax.

Are any of the Indian restaurants in Harrisonburg any good?

Maybe next time!

The last time I stopped in Thai '99 my little Thai waitress was saying something about massages.. I need to go back and investigate this first!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT