ADVERTISEMENT

Your Mt Rushmore

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
We often debate who the best coach, who the best player was but we are going to get a bit more specific in this debate.
We are all fans of this or that school... If you could build a Mt Rushmore of the best in your football programs history, who would make the cut?

There are rules with this...
1 must be a head coach
1 must be a defensive player
1 must be an offensive player
1 can be a special teams, defense or offensive player... a wild card if you will.

So who makes your schools Mt Rushmore?

Graham High School.

Head coach: Glynn Carlock (VHSL hall of fame)
Offensive player: Bullett Bill Dudley (NFL Hall of Famer)
Defensive player: Ahmad Bradshaw (2 time super bowl champ)
Wild card: Cam Allen (3rd all time tds in one season-VHSL).

King William. This will be hard because there's been so much talent to come through the school, especially on the offensive side.

Coach - Roger Brookes. This is an easy one. Thirty five years at KW, won a state title in 2000, still active as an assistant coach for New Kent. A true father figure to me. Has the field at KW named after him.

Offense - Marcus Temple. This one could go a bunch of ways because KW has had so many great backs. I choose Temple because he had the best vision of any back in my opinion. Ran for 370 yards on just 7 carries in one game his senior year. Finished with over 2000 yards and 40 touchdowns his senior year, over 4000 for his career. Played college ball for Ole Miss as a defensive back and got invited to Jaguars rookie camp.

Defense - Another tough one as there were a lot of good defensive players at all three levels. Pat Hite from the 1980 class was the first KW defensive player to be named all state. I was only 3 then but I heard great things. For me, I'm going with middle linebacker, Chris Simons from the 1998 class. He was a true quarterback for the defense and just had a nose for the ball. I remember an article in the Times Dispatch from 1998 where Brooke's said he was the best linebacker he ever had. Also was a great tight end. Played on the same teams as KW legend, Maurice Newbill.

Wild Card - Again this could go to one of many people. For me I'm going with Freeman McPherson from 2012. Two time all state quarterback, I believe, correct me if I'm wrong. Was the epitome of a dual threat quarterback and at 6'4 200 pounds, he was electric with the ball in his hands. His last high school game against Goochland, he had over 300 yards passing and 200 rushing.

I agree with your 4 from Graham but would change the assignments to Dudley wild card because he was a kicker in high school and was actually recruited to UVA after kicking the winning field goal vs Princeton WV in 1937. Allen to defense and Bradshaw to offense.

Reactions: obguthr and 19GHS87
Buckingham

Head Coach is easy: Craig Gill, the Dean of the James River District! Buckingham football should always remember the man who took them farther than they ever have reached.

Defensive Player: Very Hard. I AM A BIAS supporter because I have only followed Buckingham football for the last 20 years, but I am going to go with Michael Mabry Class of 2016. 3 year starter 4 year contributor on some great teams in Buckingham. Mabry was a first team all state DE and struck fear into opposing offensive coordinators. He also laid the LOUDEST hit I have ever witnessed against Appomattox in 2015.

Offensive Player: Buckingham has been Runningback U as of late. So many popular names to choose from, I am going to take the one that started them all and still holds the career rushing mark: John Perkins class of 2003 who took the Knights to the State Title Game in 2002.

Wild Card: I may upset some here. I am going to go with a guy who really helped bring Buckingham football back from the 4-6/5-5 slog and in his 2 years ignited the fans on both offense and defense and then went and followed his dream and took a walk-on role at Virginia Tech and turned it into playing time on the special teams. Maurice Taylor. Not the biggest back to ever grace Buckingham football (in fact he may of been the smallest in stature) but this kid was ALL HEART AND SHEER DETERMINATION.

Honorable Mention:
Tarian Ayres
Kenneth Johnson
Taylor Boyers
Leon Ragland
Tony Gough

But I, once again, am very biased to the 2000's era I think the one constant on every mount rushmore for Buckingham football though is easy: Craig Gill.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
I’ll take a stab at Richlands.

Coach- Greg Mance. This one was fairly easy. Mance has 199 career wins at Richlands and should get his 200th in the home opener against Gate City this August. The only other one I would see an argument for us Ernie Hicks, who will be inducted into the VHSL Hall of Fame this year.

Offense- Caleb Jennings. This one was so hard. When you think of Richlands, you think spread. So a QB or WR would easily be acceptable here. But I went with Caleb Jennings. The kid was small, but did things on the field that would leave you shaking your head every game. All heart. At Emory & Henry, he once puked, and then ran for a TD seconds later.

Defense- Devon Johnson. I could have easily put him on offense and that would make sense. He dominated at RB for Richlands, and would go on to be one of the best RB in the history of Marshall. Sadly his career was cut short by a back injury with the Panthers and he passed away last fall. RIP. But with that said, he was a man amongst boys at LB for the Blues. Dude didn’t miss a tackle and plenty were scared to see him coming at them.

Wildcard- Brannon Breeding. He was the original man in Richlands. An amazing RB that won the 1992 state title in dominating fashion. He deserves to be on the list.

Honorable mention:
Justin McCracken
John-Luke Asbury
Austin Fuller
Codie Howie
Cody Thomas
Shane Wicks
Mike Compton

I will post Radfords after I scramble my brain and think about it. No offense to Richlands fan, but Mike Compton not number 1 on offense seems impossible. He was a two time first team All American at West Virginia and was next up (the first guy left out) for the NFL Pro Bowl 5 times and started 10 years in the league.

No offense to Can Allen from Graham, but Don Danko was a first team High School All American for Graham and played and started at Kentucky for 3 years and was a second team All American there his senior year . My father played with Danko at Kentucky. Additionally, Rusty Fife was an honorable mention All American at Graham and played for Virginia Tech. I dated his daughter in college.

For the Bocats
Coach, Norm Lineberg. Obvious one, VA Hall of famer

Offense, Lewis Ramsey, 26 TDS and 2000 yds rushing in 1989 on an era when everyone knew he was getting the ball.

Defense, Tommy Edwards. The name touchdown Tommy is a well known one, but he was as good defensively in High School as he was on O, and you could flip flop Ramsey and Edwards as both were equally good on both sides of the ball.

Wildcard, a tie between Ken Alderman of the early 70s at QB who led some historic Radford teams and John Dobbins who was the first African American football player and a bruising fullback for Tech, and equally good on defense in High School.

Reactions: eastspartan
I will post Radfords after I scramble my brain and think about it. No offense to Richlands fan, but Mike Compton not number 1 on offense seems impossible. He was a two time first team All American at West Virginia and was next up (the first guy left out) for the NFL Pro Bowl 5 times and started 10 years in the league.

I know he deserves to be on there. But it’s so hard to put an OL on Mt. Rushmore, ya know? Lol.

Union (est 2011) hasn't been around long enough to have much trouble deciding who was the best.

Coach - Travis Turner - the only head coach the Bears have had, but he's been a model of consistency.

Offense - James Mitchell - 4 time all state player - he could have easily been the best defense or special teams player as well.

Defense - Jeb Stidham - multiple time all state player at DT that took on double, and sometimes, triple teams and still stuffed the run.

Wild Card - Bryce Spears - had it not been for Mitchell, he would have been the best offense. Best QB Union has had, but was also a good WR and CB.

If we were talking about Union's predecessors (Appalachia/Powell Valley), man, 2 HOF coaches, 2 NFL running backs, countless 1st team all state players. That would be very hard to decide on.

*Players' names are links to Hudl highlights.

I'll do Powell Valley:

Head Coach:
Phil Robbins
VHSL HOFer, 300+ wins, 7 state titles. 10+ Region D titles, 20+ LPD titles.

Offense:
Thomas Jones, RB
Led team to back to back state titles.
VHSL record for single season rushing yards (3,319)
Broke record for yards in a game (462)
Scored over 100 TDs
Had over 6,000 career rushing yards
2x POY

Defense:
Jason McCoy, LB/DB
3x All State
(This is purely off top of my head, I'd welcome debate)

Wild Card:
Poss Bolling, HC
The man who started the PV dynasty. Won state title.

Could be listed:
Matt Stidham (FB/LB)
Brad Robbins (QB)
Jerry Shuler (OL)
Shea Chapman (DL)
Don Dorton (LB)
Todd Zirkle

List goes on. Old timers please chip in with stories about guys like Forty Jackson.

Reactions: BullRunFootball
Madison County

Head Coach — Eddie Dean. 300+ games won, 3 state titles, 6 runner ups, Hall of Famer

Offense — Raymond Kirkley. All everything RB who went on to play at Pittsburgh.

Defense — Logan Terrell. Also schools all time scoring leader in basketball.

Wild Card — Carlton Johnson. Best pure athlete I have ever seen

Honorable Mention:

Jack Berry —QB
Mike Styles — QB
Mike Blakey — WR

Reactions: obguthr and CRF4Dan
I was gone for a few years and missed a few of those guy playing. Thought I’d just give it a try using the ones I’d seen play. Only ones I listed that I wouldn’t change are coach Dean and Kirkley. Juan Brown was unreal as WR. Your names could all easily be on this list.

Madison County had some ridiculousy great teams over the years. I would be interested in the following teams who were awesome.

Central of Lunenberg, Nottoway, Tazewell, Gate City, Martinsville, and Appalachia. I know Appalachia was Div 1 or 1A and single A when VA only had 3 levels before 1986, but they were so great, PVs first cousins, and now apart of Union.

Madison County had some ridiculousy great teams over the years. I would be interested in the following teams who were awesome.

Central of Lunenberg, Nottoway, Tazewell, Gate City, Martinsville, and Appalachia. I know Appalachia was Div 1 or 1A and single A when VA only had 3 levels before 1986, but they were so great, PVs first cousins, and now apart of Union.

Madison County

Head Coach — Eddie Dean. 300+ games won, 3 state titles, 6 runner ups, Hall of Famer

Offense — Raymond Kirkley. All everything RB who went on to play at Pittsburgh.

Defense — Logan Terrell. Also schools all time scoring leader in basketball.

Wild Card — Carlton Johnson. Best pure athlete I have ever seen

Honorable Mention:

Jack Berry —QB
Mike Styles — QB
Mike Blakey — WR
Sleepy Johnson belongs on this list before Terrell. The best player Madison County High School has ever produced in my opinion!

Appalachia was Single A, D1 while PV was Single A, D2 before the reclassification.

Appys HC is for sure Tom Turner, Offense be Edd Clark, defense I dunno and wild card prob Travis Turner

Clarke County-

Head Coach--Chris Parker

Offensive Player--Bo Morgan (flat out stud in the early 90s. Went on to star at Va. State....man among boys during that time)

Defensive Player--Josh Dulaney (absolute sideline to sideline LB 6.2 220lb who also played RB/K and who went on to start at William and Mary at LB. Complete player to say the least)

Best overall player in history of program--Bryan Wallace (4 year starter at guard and DE..School record in sacks and 3 time 1st Team All State....also 4 time state champion in wrestling. Not enough room to list all his accolades. He's currently on a full ride to UNC Charlotte and looking to get major run as a RS Freshmen at DT)

Buckingham

Head Coach is easy: Craig Gill, the Dean of the James River District! Buckingham football should always remember the man who took them farther than they ever have reached.

Defensive Player: Very Hard. I AM A BIAS supporter because I have only followed Buckingham football for the last 20 years, but I am going to go with Michael Mabry Class of 2016. 3 year starter 4 year contributor on some great teams in Buckingham. Mabry was a first team all state DE and struck fear into opposing offensive coordinators. He also laid the LOUDEST hit I have ever witnessed against Appomattox in 2015.

Offensive Player: Buckingham has been Runningback U as of late. So many popular names to choose from, I am going to take the one that started them all and still holds the career rushing mark: John Perkins class of 2003 who took the Knights to the State Title Game in 2002.

Wild Card: I may upset some here. I am going to go with a guy who really helped bring Buckingham football back from the 4-6/5-5 slog and in his 2 years ignited the fans on both offense and defense and then went and followed his dream and took a walk-on role at Virginia Tech and turned it into playing time on the special teams. Maurice Taylor. Not the biggest back to ever grace Buckingham football (in fact he may of been the smallest in stature) but this kid was ALL HEART AND SHEER DETERMINATION.

Honorable Mention:
Tarian Ayres
Kenneth Johnson
Taylor Boyers
Leon Ragland
Tony Gough

But I, once again, am very biased to the 2000's era I think the one constant on every mount rushmore for Buckingham football though is easy: Craig Gill.

For Buckingham I am in agreement with a vast majority of this.

No question about Coach Gill.

Offensively, John Perkins would be the guy. Leon Ragland was more versatile as a back but I'm biased to the early 2000's as well.

Defensively this is more difficult. Lots of really good players. Michael Mabry would probably get the nod due to sheer dominance. Couple of Honorable mentions would be John Leonard, Taylor Boyers, and Radell Bolden who all could impact a game in a big way.

Wild card for me would be Tarian Ayres. I think he is more responsible for the shift in fortune for the program. This shift coincided with a drastic shift in offensive philosophy for Buckingham. Tarian had talents that were unheard of in Buckingham and Coach Gill adjusted accordingly.

Lots of great players not mentioned but yea I am more familiar with the last twenty years as well.

Clarke County-

Head Coach--Chris Parker

Offensive Player--Bo Morgan (flat out stud in the early 90s. Went on to star at Va. State....man among boys during that time)

Defensive Player--Josh Dulaney (absolute sideline to sideline LB 6.2 220lb who also played RB/K and who went on to start at William and Mary at LB. Complete player to say the least)

Best overall player in history of program--Bryan Wallace (4 year starter at guard and DE..School record in sacks and 3 time 1st Team All State....also 4 time state champion in wrestling. Not enough room to list all his accolades. He's currently on a full ride to UNC Charlotte and looking to get major run as a RS Freshmen at DT)
I thought Rhoades might be on this list. Unbelievable athlete. Didn’t he play FB and basketball in college at some point?

I thought Rhoades might be on this list. Unbelievable athlete. Didn’t he play FB and basketball in college at some point?
Tremendous athlete (basketball/football) player-no question and not a slight whatsoever. He carried the team his senior year but it's a whole body of work in my opinion. He's certainly in the next list or HM along with a few others that I could name in 2 sec. but have to draw the line. Wallace is the hands down best male athlete in school history. Absolute man. I would list Chandler as 2nd best. Regardless both were studs and fun to watch

Now if you want to do a Rushmore for Clarke bball............Yeah, I'll start w/ Chandler in 2 sec.....no brainer there.

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
Surprised Millbrook transfer Hunter Rogers didn't make the cut.
Glad you're back to talk about Clarke...........Hunter was a stud and a great kid...................and a CLARKE grad no matter where he transferred from. Hope Millbrook has a good season in the fall as I know a lot of the kids and parents there.

Says the guy who wants to hand-pick the Madison Co football coach himself?
You really are lacking cognitive abilities.

This thread is about schools Mt. Rushmore. Instead of bashing Clarke, why don’t you post your schools version?

Maybe then, at your 50 year reunion, that ole girl who dumped you for the Eagle will give you a second chance.

Giles

HC: Stephen Ragsdale, legend.

Offense: Shawn Eaves. Back in the day he WAS the offense.

Defense: Brandon Steele. Total badass and classy guy.

Wild card: Cody Journell. Do they get any wilder? For better or worse, he put Ripplemead on the map. Do it all type of player.

Reactions: bulldog1150
Giles

Wild card: Cody Journell. Do they get any wilder? For better or worse, he put Ripplemead on the map. Do it all type of player.
Wow, no Leon King, Tyrone Meadows, Miltons, or Cooks. Says a lot about the the great success and talented players that have come through that program.

Reactions: 19GHS87
Wow, no Leon King, Tyrone Meadows, Miltons, or Cooks. Says a lot about the the great success and talented players that have come through that program.

Keith Johnson needs mentioning as he also had over 4000 yds rushing in his time at Giles and he took Tazewell apart in the Giles win in regular season over Tazewell in 1986. Tazewell went on to win the state title.

Last edited:
Giles in my opinion

Coach: Ragsdale...no brainer
Offense: Leon King...he started this whole thing...super electric player

Defense: Brandon Steele...tough as nails

Wild Card: Ricky Cook....possibly the best 2 way player we ever had...classy guy too

Reactions: obguthr
Giles

No Charlie Martin?

Senior moment on my part....Charlie MULLINS...check out the late 70/early 80 Giles teams. He was a terror. I think he is a volunteer assistant now.

Mullins would get my vote on the defensive side. He's the best linebacker and overall defensive player I've ever seen at Giles, and I've seen Giles at least once about every year since 1979, and often twice.

Spartan fan, was the name Charlie "Martin," and Charlie Mullins that big of difference that you really had no clue what Marshall was talking about? I assume you were joking, and if not, you must be fairly young. Mullins name is still common in the memory of not just Giles fans, but to the areas close to Pearisburg and onward. He was that good of a player, especially on defense at LB. An absolute Monster and flat out dangerous. He could and did remove opponents from games and he was quick and fast in getting to the ball, not slow.

Reactions: obguthr
Mullins would get my vote on the defensive side. He's the best linebacker and overall defensive player I've ever seen at Giles, and I've seen Giles at least once about every year since 1979, and often twice.

Spartan fan, was the name Charlie "Martin," and Charlie Mullins that big of difference that you really had no clue what Marshall was talking about? I assume you were joking, and if not, you must be fairly young. Mullins name is still common in the memory of not just Giles fans, but to the areas close to Pearisburg and onward. He was that good of a player, especially on defense at LB. An absolute Monster and flat out dangerous. He could and did remove opponents from games and he was quick and fast in getting to the ball, not slow.

No I wasn't joking and honestly I never thought of charlie Mullins when I posted that....I'm not young(wish I was lol) and watched Mullins play

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT