ADVERTISEMENT

Your suggestions are needed!

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
This year, I think I will try to attend 11 regular season games at 11 schools that I have never visited.

Help me decide, please.

I don’t have any particular preference as to Class, rural vs city, traditionally good vs not so good. I just want to see new places. I tend to like older stadiums over modern venues, but not to the point of refusing to consider them.

I will say that I prefer to travel west and south from Dinwiddie. And I’m not opposed to going so far that an overnight stay is what is required. But, I will not exclude anywhere in the state that you convince me to go visit. This includes Tidewater, Norther Neck, and even NOVA.

I like the idea of visiting older stadiums with personality. Examples that come to mind are Hopewell and James Monroe.

So please, post your suggestions.

Incidentally, (and a few of you already know), next year to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary, my wife and I will be traveling to Utqiagvik Alaska, (formally Barrow), to take in a high school football game. I’ll say Barrow, because it’s easier to spell and say, is the northern most city in the US. And 9 miles north is Point Barrow, the northern most point of land in the US.

The Barrow Whalers have a beautiful turf field that would be the envy of most high schools. However, there are a couple of factors that come into play in this Arctic wonderland. For instance, one or more people stand guard with long rifles at every practice and game, to ward off any curious polar bears. My wife said, aren't you worried about the polar bears? I said heck no, I can out run you with a broken leg. And if the ball goes a little out of bounds to the west, (less than 100 yards), it’s lost in the Arctic Ocean. Other than that, it’s just Friday Night Lights! (But, dress warm!)

So, good Lord willing, and the economy doesn't go completely to crap, I’ll be reporting from underneath the northern lights during the third or fourth week of September of 2023. Why you ask? Well, it will be cheaper than an Alaskan cruise, and it will be different. So wish me luck, and please tell me where you recommend that I go see a memorable football game in Virginia this fall. Thank you.

Not technically in Virginia and you've probably been there but Mitchell Stadium is a good one and your best bet is the season opener for Graham vs Bluefield as those are the two teams who call the stadium home (yes, a VA team plays football in WV for their home games) and the game draws quite a crowd.

Patrick Henry of Roanoke and William Fleming both have nice, fairly new stadiums that still have that sheen to them.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
This year, I think I will try to attend 11 regular season games at 11 schools that I have never visited.

Help me decide, please.

I don’t have any particular preference as to Class, rural vs city, traditionally good vs not so good. I just want to see new places. I tend to like older stadiums over modern venues, but not to the point of refusing to consider them.

I will say that I prefer to travel west and south from Dinwiddie. And I’m not opposed to going so far that an overnight stay is what is required. But, I will not exclude anywhere in the state that you convince me to go visit. This includes Tidewater, Norther Neck, and even NOVA.

I like the idea of visiting older stadiums with personality. Examples that come to mind are Hopewell and James Monroe.

Incidentally, (and a few of you already know), next year to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary, my wife and I will be traveling to Utqiagvik Alaska, (formally Barrow), to take in a high school football game. I’ll say Barrow, because it’s easier to spell and say, is the northern most city in the US. And 9 miles north is Point Barrow, the northern most point of land in the US.

The Barrow Whalers have a beautiful turf field that would be the envy of most high schools. However, there are a couple of factors that come into play in this Arctic wonderland. For instance, one or more people stand guard with long rifles at every practice and game, to ward off any curious polar bears. My wife said, aren't you worried about the polar bears? I said heck no, I can out run you with a broken leg. And if the ball goes a little out of bounds to the west, (less than 100 yards), it’s lost in the Arctic Ocean. Other than that, it’s just Friday Night Lights! (But, dress warm!)

So, good Lord willing, and the economy doesn't go completely to crap, I’ll be reporting from underneath the northern lights during the third or fourth week of September of 2023. Why you ask? Well, it will be cheaper than an Alaskan cruise, and it will be different. So wish me luck, and please tell me where you recommend that I go see a memorable football game in Virginia this fall. Thank you.
Wow! I googled it! Amazing!!! https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Barrow+Football+Field&form=IARSLK&first=1&tsc=ImageHoverTitle

Help me decide, please.

Are you going to get there by dog sled or by a small plane?

Help me decide, please.

Hey DP, Friday Sept. 16. HSHS @ Martinsburg WV! GOING!!! Come on, let's go!!

I think I want to try for “the Hole” at Magna Vista. I stopped by there one time on a summer trip. I suspect a few years back when MV was a perennial state champ contender, it was rocking on a Friday night.

The Galax field is a really nice looking place. I should have found a way to catch one of their games when our daughter lived in Galax.

Is it the Hurley field that is carved out of a rock and you only sit on one side of the field?

I always wanted to see a game at Haysi, but I waited to long for that. White Hat told me about officiating a game there. Quite an unusual place.

What can you tell me about Narrows?

BlueBird, I googled Stone Castle. What a neat looking place. And how and why it was built adds to the allure. Thank you.

If you haven't been to City Stadium in Lynchburg for the Jug Bowl between Heritage & EC Glass I highly recommend it! City Stadium opened in 1939. Plus The Jug Bowl is one of the greatest rivalries in Virginia. The game was featured in the Great American Rivalry Series a few years back. For those that may not know, The Great American Rivalry Series is a series that features 10 of the nation's best rivalry games throughout the season. Last year Varina-HSHS was selected for the Mid-Atlantic region.

If you haven't been to City Stadium in Lynchburg for the Jug Bowl between Heritage & EC Glass I highly recommend it! City Stadium opened in 1939. Plus The Jug Bowl is one of the greatest rivalries in Virginia. The game was featured in the Great American Rivalry Series a few years back. For those that may not know, The Great American Rivalry Series is a series that features 10 of the nation's best rivalry games throughout the season. Last year Varina-HSHS was selected for the Mid-Atlantic region.
I agree with City Stadium, and someone mentioned Mitchell Stadium earlier- I like both of those historic venues. https://www.cityofbluefield.com/parksrec/page/mitchell-stadium

I would add the Cougar Den in Pulaski.

DP, I envy your adventure.

What about northern virginia, richmond, or tidewater. There has to be some good stadiums beside darling or todd stadium.

Help me decide, please.

I can't recall if you came out here during '16 or '17, when we had a playoff team. If you haven't yet, come on out to Charlottesville DP. Below is our home schedule.

Aug 18 - Chancellor(Scrimmage)
Aug 26 - Western Albemarle
Sept 16 - Spotswood
Sept 23 - Louisa
Oct 7 - Goochland
Oct 21 - John Marshall
Nov 4 - Monticello

Louisa, based on what's returning and recent success, is likely the best opponent on the home slate. Western will provide the best environment as it's the home opener and they are a rival.

PS, John Handley, Jefferson Forest, Parry McCluer Franklin County have unique home stadiums. Not sure if they still do or not but Staunton(formerly RE Lee) used to play at Gypsy Hill Park, another unique off campus venue. Porterfield Park (Orange Co HS) is a football field located on baseball outfield, fans are very close to the action which makes for a lively environment when attendance is up.

Last edited:
I can't recall if you came out here during '16 or '17, when we had a playoff team. If you haven't yet, come on out to Charlottesville DP. Below is our home schedule.

Aug 18 - Chancellor(Scrimmage)
Aug 26 - Western Albemarle
Sept 16 - Spotswood
Sept 23 - Louisa
Oct 7 - Goochland
Oct 21 - John Marshall
Nov 4 - Monticello

Louisa, based on what's returning and recent success, is likely the best opponent on the home slate. Western will provide the best environment as it's the home opener and they are a rival.

PS, John Handley, Jefferson Forest, Parry McCluer Franklin County have unique home stadiums. Not sure if they still do or not but Staunton(formerly RE Lee) used to play at Gypsy Hill Park, another unique off campus venue. Porterfield Park (Orange Co HS) is a football field located on baseball outfield, fans are very close to the action which makes for a lively environment when attendance is up.
No sir, I never got up there to one of your games…, yet. But this should be the year. Thank you. WA might be my best choice. I think I‘ll wait on Louisa until I can see them play at The Jungle. I stopped by one day just to see the place, but never for a game.

I remember that everyone used to vilify Porterfield Park, primarily because of their poor restrooms. Did they ever improve the place?

I‘ve been to Handly. That was a fun Saturday. I remember two of the old Redskin “hogs” were there. Russ Grim and Jacoby I think. Watching those poor guys hobbling across the parking lot was sad.

No sir, I never got up there to one of your games…, yet. But this should be the year. Thank you. WA might be my best choice. I think I‘ll wait on Louisa until I can see them play at The Jungle. I stopped by one day just to see the place, but never for a game.

I remember that everyone used to vilify Porterfield Park, primarily because of their poor restrooms. Did they ever improve the place?

I‘ve been to Handly. That was a fun Saturday. I remember two of the old Redskin “hogs” were there. Russ Grim and Jacoby I think. Watching those poor guys hobbling across the parking lot was sad.
I thought you would have been out to Louisa by now, def a must. Impressive environment their community puts together on Fridays. They will host Albemarle this year, not sure of the date, but should be the best game on their home slate.

Porterfield is not luxurious by any means. When people stand all around the field and they pack the stands though, it's a one of a kind environment. As a coach, the sideline and crowd proximity is more like a basketball game. It has a peewee sandlot vibe but on steroids because its HS.

OMG - where do the fans sit?

What a picture that is!

After looking at some video, in front of those two white-topped buildings (both press boxes, I'm sure) are a few rows of bleachers and then that third building on the right is also a set of stands. The rest of the home crowd seems to stand and hang on the fence.

Believe it or not but there's actually away stands as well, although they're difficult to make out in the picture. Sitting mere yards from the freezing Arctic Ocean!

Today is the longest day of 2022. In Alaska this means the Midnight Sun Game in Fairbanks at 10pm local time. Alaska is in the Alaska Time Zone which for the East Coast is a 2am start time if you're awake or can't sleep looking for something to do - https://www.explorefairbanks.com/event/midnight-sun-baseball-game-2022/6179/
The Goldpanners have a You Tube Channel - https://youtube.com/c/AlaskaGoldpanners. If you have not attended try to go sometime. It's fun and Fairbanks puts in a good show too.

OMG - where do the fans sit?

What a picture that is!
A very casual approach to watching the game. A lot of vehicles park close, especially ATV’s. Like he said above, there are a few bleachers. It’s definitely going to be a unique experience for my wife and I.

i usually try to make a road trip game to see contenders that Smith might meet up with. used to be that going to see a Westfield, South County, colonial Forge game vs their rivals was worth the trip.

for pure entertainment, and if you want to see 100 points scored, watching Lake Braddock vs Robinson or South County are annual northern VA events. nothing special about their stadiums though.

now, i've been keeping an eye on Stone Bridge vs Broad Run.....Battle of the Burn.. @ Segra Field in Leesburg. last year was a route but theses teams normally have a true battle. IF BR has improved, might consider Sept 30th up there.

you've probably been to Darling Stadium but Smith will make the rare trip up there to play Pheobus to wrap up the regular season... your officially invited. it should be a closer game than last year!

i usually try to make a road trip game to see contenders that Smith might meet up with. used to be that going to see a Westfield, South County, colonial Forge game vs their rivals was worth the trip.

for pure entertainment, and if you want to see 100 points scored, watching Lake Braddock vs Robinson or South County are annual northern VA events. nothing special about their stadiums though.

now, i've been keeping an eye on Stone Bridge vs Broad Run.....Battle of the Burn.. @ Segra Field in Leesburg. last year was a route but theses teams normally have a true battle. IF BR has improved, might consider Sept 30th up there.

you've probably been to Darling Stadium but Smith will make the rare trip up there to play Pheobus to wrap up the regular season... your officially invited. it should be a closer game than last year!
Thank you sir.

Many matchups that you guys are proposing are intriguing, and I hope to catch a few. But, more than anything, I want to go see games at venues that have some type of stand alone attraction. Old, historic fields really interest me. And stadiums with unique features have an attraction. Even places that have exceptional circumstances, like amazing band performances, or post game fireworks, or tailgating where everyone shares food with whomever wants it and you just have a grand old time. Even new, “blow you away” stadiums catch my interest. And only half jokingly, the best hot dogs or other famous foods can lure me in. For instance, South Boston Speedway claims to have the best bologna burgers in the world. I plan to give them the chance to prove it this Saturday night.

Regardless, thanks for your suggestions, and keep them coming. So far, the only Friday that I’m locked in on is Sept. 16, when I follow Highland Springs to Martinsburg WV.

Your from the Richmond area. Which stadium is best in the richmond area besides Dinnwiddie High?
1. Hermitage due to its uniqueness. Only one side seating but plenty of seats to hold a big game.
2. Highland Springs. Best game day atmosphere in the 804, smells like a 4th of July cookout and it’s brand new.
3. Powhatan’s stadium may be the nicest in the whole area.
4. I like the Chesterfield County Schools stadiums. Bird is hands down the best but Monacan is next in line. All Henrico Schools have artificial turf but Chesterfield has natural grass.

Your from the Richmond area. Which stadium is best in the richmond area besides Dinnwiddie High?
I can’t say which is the best, but rather the ones that I enjoy going to.
I liked Henrico. It’s seldom mentioned, but there is a uniqueness to the place.

I like Hopewell. Simply because it’s old, and different. But a word to the wise, go early. Parking is terrible and if you have to buy a ticket anywhere close to game time, God help you.

Poor Colonial Heights is a nice place. Easy parking, and very easy entrance/exit from the stadium. And they get my vote as having the best concessions in the Central District. (Dinwiddie is a very close second). But, don’t go looking for a good game. That, unfortunately, is seldom the case.

I’ve always enjoyed going to Monacan. No matter who they are playing, it will always be an exciting game. Their visitor side bleachers are better than many home field stands. They have very friendly folks working their gates and concessions.

You said “other than Dinwiddie”, but I’ve got to mention them. Dinwiddie parking is pretty good, but getting out of the parking area is very slow. Concessions are very good. Restrooms are top notch. The home field side is excellent, but the seating on the visitors side is abysmal. You better like horses, cannons, and sirens if you go.

Powhatan is probably my favorite. The beautiful landscaping adds to the experience. I’ve had fun times there, so I naturally like the place. (Unlike Douglas Freeman, which my Alma Mater lost to in a playoff game…, in 1967. I still hate the place.)

Truthfully though, the only bad stadium is the one you don’t go visit.

I asked a friend that is attending the NFHS Conference in Austin to try to speak to someone from the Alaskan delegation and to tell them my plans and ask for any tips. Unfortunately, with over 500 in attendance, they never were able to find and speak with them. I’m guessing their advice would be to run faster than the polar bears!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT