ADVERTISEMENT

FINAL - OSCAR SMITH 77, COSBY 7

63-0 @ the half... Several Defense TO's 3 fumbles with the first three Cosby snaps. Plenty of very quick hit Offensive scores. Smith needs to get more backups into the game. But they also have kids trying to get offers, too.. A lot of their back-ups would be leading starters on other teams!

Supposedly, the teams and officials approved a running clock in the 2nd quarter after Smith had scored 35 points in the 1st.

Last edited:
Cosby finished 2-9.
How does a 2-8 team make the playoffs? This VHSL system has some glaring problems! Class 6A covers the entire Tidewater area and Richmond Metro combined. 2-8 makes the top 8 out of nearly half of the state? That's pitiful!

Cosby finished 2-9.
How does a 2-8 team make the playoffs? This VHSL system has some glaring problems! Class 6A covers the entire Tidewater area and Richmond Metro combined. 2-8 makes the top 8 out of nearly half of the state? That's pitiful!
there aren't that many huge schools in Tidewater and RVA so there is that. Most of the rest of Class 6 is in Nova.

They could institute a rule to qualify you must be at .500’or above. If fewer teams in regions then use bye’s. Too novel an idea for VHSL to handle?
...and Franklin Co. HS @ Western Branch HS last night. Roughly 250 miles 1 WAY..... 500 miles round trip. RIDICULOUS! How much do you think that costs in gas, feeding the kids, etc... I'm sure the school system and VHSL didn't pay for it! I feel for those kids and their parents! ...and I imagine those kids had to go to school today?

Last edited:
...and Franklin Co. HS @ Western Branch HS last night. Roughly 250 miles 1 WAY..... RIDICULOUS!
it is their choice so they have to live with it. Franklin County could have easily built two Class 2 size schools instead of one big one knowing that there aren't any others in that part ofthe state. so you live by your decisions.

• Haha
Reactions: VHSL-helper
it is their choice so they have to live with it. Franklin County could have easily built two Class 2 size schools instead of one big one knowing that there aren't any others in that part ofthe state. so you live by your decisions.
Is it their choice when the VHSL set the Regions and did the pairings ?

That is exactly why Williamsburg went from one high school to three. They wanted to keep them in class 3-4 and travel locally not to
stay with one expanded HS and become class 6 and have to play all Richmond schools. That was thoroughly discussed here and why Jamestown and Warhill exist.

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
Franklin County is used to the travel. The old Northwestern Region stretched from Prince William to Pulaski and the schools managed to deal with the occasional expedition.

They could institute a rule to qualify you must be at .500’or above. If fewer teams in regions then use bye’s. Too novel an idea for VHSL to handle?
They should at least give the school the option to play or not.

Know when they last built a high school in Franklin County? Any knowledge of their financial situation? Other logistical considerations? As you say they could have built two smaller high schools, however, when construction decisions are based on sports classification considerations rather than operational, educational and economic criteria I think that is a problem.

Reactions: BJONESVAPREPS
Looks like it's time for a history lesson.

FCHS has been around for over 70 years.

There USED TO BE a LOT of large schools nearby...
Halifax County
George Washington-Danville
Lynchburg's E.C. Glass
and old Roanoke Valley District foes Salem, Pulaski Co. and
Roanoke's Cave Spring, William Fleming & Patrick Henry.
The RVD folded in '01 & they ones left joined the
Western Valley District, which folded in '13.

No matter how the playoffs or classes are structured, there is never going to be a perfect system. Prior to 2013 there were many complaints of teams that were 9-1 or 8-2 not making the playoffs. We have traded that for teams that are 2-8 making the playoffs.

I have seen where some regions only do 6 teams and the top two teams get a bye. Maybe that is something that should be looked at... you might still have teams with losing records make the playoffs but you eliminate teams that are 1-9 or 2-8.

Of course I don't dislike the idea of you being required to be .500 or better to qualify.

Just free thinking, maybe we should consider a team's history combined with their record? IF a team had a 3-7 record or worse & the previous year, they had a similar record which resulted in a running clock playoff game, they wouldn't be eligible for post season games?

There are plenty of area codes that have diverse classifications in their district which makes it tough during the regular season to come out with only 3-5 losses. Giving a 4-6 team a spot in the playoffs isn't an issue for me. 4-6 Riverbend in 2015 beat a 9-2 Colonial Forge team. That district was very tough that year too. Even a very young but talented 3-7 team could be considered for a spot. Lakeland, as a Class 3 team in the Southeastern District, had the following success in the playoffs with poor regular season records:

2014 3-7 Lost to Lake Taylor 0-28 (LT State Championship)
2015 1-9 Beat Park View Lost to Poquoson 0-28
2016 3-7 Beat Poquoson & Tabb Lost to Phoebus 0-21

IMHO, a 4-6 team from the SouthEastern District likely should be playing after the regular season. Nansemond River, 4-5 (3-5 District), is still playing and I give them a decent chance vs Woodside on Friday, too!

Reactions: Agibbs757
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT