ADVERTISEMENT

HSHS v Varina

EPJr

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 27, 2002
It’s goes down Saturday, October 28th, the Battle of the East as @gohshsfootball and @AthleticsVarina get together. Both teams come into the game with just 1 lost and at the top of the Polls.
The last 4 games have been split by the two teams.
It’s also Senior Day at HSHS.
F87rmIuWcAAzn5c

Three games in a week is tough especially when two will carry a ton of emotions. Varina's offensive strength (receivers) play into the Springers defensive strength (db's). Highland Springs offense is well balanced and will spread the ball around enough to keep the Varina defense guessing. Springers 27-13.

Back in the 2nd game against Manchester, HS lost 2 starting running backs and our star wide receiver back to back! Last week we got our WR (Jenkins) back! Both RBs are supposed to be in uniform this week. This is "what I hear"... with that said, HS should be just about 100% heading into post season.

Reactions: TDKLIGHTSOUT
Three games in a week is tough especially when two will carry a ton of emotions. Varina's offensive strength (receivers) play into the Springers defensive strength (db's). Highland Springs offense is well balanced and will spread the ball around enough to keep the Varina defense guessing. Springers 27-13.
100%! It's unfortunate that Varina will have such a short week to prepare for one of their toughest opponents.

I hope that was a tongue in cheek statement @EPJr. Blow out or not football is football. I don't know if you ever played and got hit hard, but most players need a few days to recover. I know the players of today are better trained and physical specimens, but the collisions are still the same.
VHSL Rule # 68-2-5 says players are limited to 90 minutes of full contact practice per week. For the purpose of this rule full contact is defined as a game situation, tackling to the ground, playing football. Besides it gives HSHS a distinct advantage in more ways than one. Just saying.

Praying for injury free games for the Blue Devils and their opponents.

Last edited:
I hope that was a tongue in cheek statement @EPJr. Blow out or not football is football. I don't know if you ever played and got hit hard, but most players need a few days to recover. I know the players of today are better trained and physical specimens, but the collisions are still the same.
VHSL Rule # 68-2-5 says players are limited to 90 minutes of full contact practice per week. For the purpose of this rule full contact is defined as a game situation, tackling to the ground, playing football. Besides it gives HSHS a distinct advantage in more ways than one. Just saying.

Praying for injury free games for the Blue Devils and their opponents.
it was (kinda)
I am not gonna be the BAK-IN-MY-Day-Guy
I am not gonna say we got hit harder in practice
I am not gonna say the first team will have limited contact in the 2nd half.
so let's just leave it at that.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I get it @EPJr. I wasn't really concerned about player safety until @1MoreHokie really made me think about the concussion issue a few years ago. The old shake it off you got your bell rung mentality slowly slipped from my mind/body. Ever wonder why old boxers and older football players don't do commercials? I read an article about it and it really chilled me to the bone. It also made me feel guilty about the way I treated injured teammates, players, and ignored the warning signs. You and anyone else can make fun of my stance or light of this situation, but playing three football games in eight days is simply reckless. Do you really think the Varina coaches will take their foot off the gas and sit players if they get a chance against Hermitage? Not a chance. Two high school teams combine for 100 offensive plays in a game plus shall we say 10 more on special teams. That would likely result in 40 possible collisions for a defensive player per game. Research has determined the average force of a normal tackle is 1,650 pounds. To quote the author of the article I just read "it's like getting hit in the face by a baby orca on each play". Three games a week?

Reactions: 1MoreHokie
I’m not making any predictions for Saturday, just know the better overall team is on Messer Road.

I’m more concerned about Herm mouthing tomorrow and pray none of the Varina kids fall for the wolf tickets and get ejected. Herm basically has tomorrow, Tucker and whoever they get in the first round and their season is probably done. Varina has a lot more at stake. If they have a comfortable lead in the 3rd tomorrow, those JV studs will be in the game.

Go Route 5!

I’m not making any predictions for Saturday, just know the better overall team is on Messer Road.

I’m more concerned about Herm mouthing tomorrow and pray none of the Varina kids fall for the wolf tickets and get ejected. Herm basically has tomorrow, Tucker and whoever they get in the first round and their season is probably done. Varina has a lot more at stake. If they have a comfortable lead in the 3rd tomorrow, those JV studs will be in the game.

Go Route 5!
Bo you have been high on Varina all season. Do you still have them winning it all and who do you have them facing in the Championship? Pre-season I picked Phoebus to beat Salem in the championship. I still have Phoebus winning it but I'm not convinced that Salem will be there. Tuscarora is growing on me.

As I told you last night via our chat... Armstrong while no Varina and not facing the same level of competition has 3 games in 7 days.

This Friday they play an undefeated Thomas Jefferson team on a neutral field, Hovey.

Then the following Monday they have a makeup game at Manassas Park and then on Thursday they go to Mechanicsville.

Again, schedule doesn't compare to that of Varina but 3 games in 7 days is crazy.

I do believe Varina is capable of beating highland springs and I'm quite sure they're going to give it there best shot but I think they are more focused on winning another state championship.
I agree. Offense is finally waking up and the defense is much nastier than HS’s. I still believe our people by the Airport will win C6.
Bo you have been high on Varina all season. Do you still have them winning it all and who do you have them facing in the Championship? Pre-season I picked Phoebus to beat Salem in the championship. I still have Phoebus winning it but I'm not convinced that Salem will be there. Tuscarora is growing on me.
I have the Blue Devils playing Salem for the state championship in C4. Now that Varina’s offense is starting to show up, I believe they are the most complete team I’ve seen in C4. People talk about Phoebus being loaded but Varina has just as much talent as anyone in VA (see the Freedom game).

Reactions: VolNation85
Tonight will say a lot. Varina has all of the athletes but doesn't or maybe "can't" play a physical style of offense. Herm has the athletes to match but isn't well coached so I don't believe they really have a chance but Varina's play style plays into the type of team Herm is and this game will be closer than necessary for Varina. They've scored on some teams that can't match athletes the last couple of weeks.

In order for Varina to win Saturday they need to be able to run the football. I just don’t see that being able to happen especially with the quick turnaround from tonight to Saturday

Anyway to watch tonight's game online? I searched NFHS but didn't see it.

@VolNation85 I have a surprise for you. Go on you tube and search for RVA Productions. It's usually good video without announcers. It's free and decently produced. I am in my phone so I don't know how to share the link.

Reactions: VolNation85
Herms QB is trying to keep the game close. He’s got WRs running open and he’s just throwing it as far as he can instead of putting the ball on them.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Varina’s scheme came as expected. I didn’t think it would be this close but as @EPJr eluded to earlier, it would be a scrimmage like game. HS’s whole staff and most players are here. Varina played about as vanilla of a game as Salem does in a scrimmage.

Varina’s scheme came as expected. I didn’t think it would be this close but as @EPJr eluded to earlier, it would be a scrimmage like game. HS’s whole staff and most players are here. Varina played about as vanilla of a game as Salem does in a scrimmage.
Varina didn't play vanilla. This is who they are as I've said all season. Every time Varina has played a team with similar speed their offense crashes and burns.

I’ll watch them again on Saturday but I was always told “Believe a person when they show you who they are the first time”

And yall impressed with Phoebus beating Menchville and Kecoughtan and those other HORRIBLE teams 35-0 with 15-20 penalties a half? Got it. If Varina was playing them, they’d score 35+ too.

I agree with you @BoKnowsSports on the poor Phoebus schedule, but just like Varina they can win ugly in the playoffs. Not ready to doubt teams with tough arse defenses. The Blue Devils vanilla or not cannot run block or pass protect. Good defenses will continue to shut Varina down offensively if the can defend the deep ball. It could be Varina vs KG again for the Region B championship, but I seriously have doubts. Looks like Varina played all of their studs all night and HSHS took it all in. Advantage Springers.

Reactions: General172011
I agree with you @BoKnowsSports on the poor Phoebus schedule, but just like Varina they can win ugly in the playoffs. Not ready to doubt teams with tough arse defenses. The Blue Devils vanilla or not cannot run block or pass protect. Good defenses will continue to shut Varina down offensively if the can defend the deep ball. It could be Varina vs KG again for the Region B championship, but I seriously have doubts. Looks like Varina played all of their studs all night and HSHS took it all in. Advantage Springers.
We’ll see. I’ve learned that prediction stuff is all fun and games until I’m on here saying how wrong I am. I’ve seen Dinwiddie 2x, KG 2x and Varina 3x and I think Varina is better than both (Dinwiddie’s offensive scheme is a lot better of course).

Not directed at you, but anyone who follows the Varina/Herm games knows that it is always a “slobberknocker” and so is HS/Varina. Ugly ugly games. Varina beat HS in 2021 (won a damn state championship) the same way they won tonight using the wildcat. It’s nothing new. One game at a time. All I know is KG’s QB is horrible and that Varina defense is going to give them fits. Varina matches up well with Dinwiddie. We’ll see.

Last edited:
Not being disrespectful either. I think you know the Blue Devils well and as I said I don't discount teams with tough defenses. Varina has very few weaknesses on that side of the ball and tackle very well. My only issue is can they block quick defenses. Watch the game again. Hermitage owned the line of scrimmage all night long. Coach Lunsford (KG) or Coach Mills will not make the ridiculous mistakes the Hermitage coaches did. I don't know where Dinwiddie will end up come playoff time, nor do I know if they will even make the playoffs. Heck, I haven't made any predictions, but as you said Varina matches up well with Dinwiddie. I guess if it happens we will both be happy before the game. After, one of us will be rooting for another team in Region B. Good stuff sir.

Not being disrespectful either. I think you know the Blue Devils well and as I said I don't discount teams with tough defenses. Varina has very few weaknesses on that side of the ball and tackle very well. My only issue is can they block quick defenses. Watch the game again. Hermitage owned the line of scrimmage all night long. Coach Lunsford (KG) or Coach Mills will not make the ridiculous mistakes the Hermitage coaches did. I don't know where Dinwiddie will end up come playoff time, nor do I know if they will even make the playoffs. Heck, I haven't made any predictions, but as you said Varina matches up well with Dinwiddie. I guess if it happens we will both be happy before the game. After, one of us will be rooting for another team in Region B. Good stuff sir.
Dinwiddie yes, idk about KG. They aren’t the same team from last year. If you thought tonight was bad (yes I was pissed about spending my Tuesday watching a 6-7 game), then think about how mad I was to leave Hampton, drive back to RVA and make a 2 hour drive to Culpeper to see the mess I saw Friday.

Bo is a lot more optimistic than me. I can only go by what I see and that is when Varina plays a team with decent speed the offense can't function. Indian River, Freedom, GA, Herm all held varina to 2 offensive scores or less. HSHS will most likely do the same. A very down Henrico held them to 28. Dinwiddie and KG both have the athletes to do the same but their offenses are explosive. And will make you score at least 21 to win. It's frustrating watching a talented team like this be so bad on offense.

@GoBlue2109, we say it's about matchups all the time. I am not going to boast about Dinwiddie they have played poorly and uncharacteristically undisciplined in some games this season. I totally agree with your take and that's what I have been trying to say. If Varina gets the right match up they will win ugly just like the Old Baltimore Ravens. Same thing goes with every team in Region B and Phoebus and Warhill in Region A. When teams are this close I always bet on the coach. Varina, Dinwiddie, and Phoebus have all won a state championship and KG has been a region finalist in the last three years and semi finalist in 2020. It's a tough call.

JUST LIKE LAST YEAR! That’s All I need to say! HSHS is healthy now,and nothing but eyes straight forward.

The Springers have the db's and interior line to contain Varina's deep threat. I have Highland Springs winning, but it will be a well earned old fashioned style game. Martins legs will set the table for the Springers offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT