ADVERTISEMENT

HSHS v Varina

Coaching and team speed. Especially coaching. Watch Freedomby40 vlog on YouTube. Their coaching on all levels is intense. They get on their players even when they have big leads.
Anybody not expecting Freedom to make a deep run in the playoffs, has not been paying attention. I said before the Freedom/Varina game that the better measuring stick for Freedom would be the Freedom/DeMatha game, and I think that still holds true. The only edge I give HSHS over Freedom is their depth, and I believe playing DeMatha over two days benefited Freedom more than DeMatha. Nonetheless, I still think HSHS and Freedom will meet with Freedom being too much for HSHS.

What makes you think they are playing freedom and if they did they would get run off the field
Who’s gonna beat either one of them?! Which one gets run off the field? Freedom’s offense doesn’t just throw the ball up on broken play scrambles like Varina’s ONLY OFFENSE. HSHS has proven time & time again,they know how to beat good teams.

I wasn’t able to be there,and I look forward to watching it today,but that’s the 3rd game this year they’ve come out on top vs a good team.

Coach Johnson said as much in a post-game interview. Lots to clean up... he was not at all pleased with what he saw today.
Not trying to be funny but has the thought ever cross your mind that highland springs may not be as good as people think they are.
Who’s gonna beat either one of them?! Which one gets run off the field? Freedom’s offense doesn’t just throw the ball up on broken play scrambles like Varina’s ONLY OFFENSE. HSHS has proven time & time again,they know how to beat good teams.

I wasn’t able to be there,and I look forward to watching it today,but that’s the 3rd game this year they’ve come out on top vs a good team.
Glad to know that you are acknowledging that Varina is a good team and by the way I don't think freedom and highland springs will even meet. Freedom will make it to the championship game but I have my doubts about highland springs if they play the way they played against Manchester and Varina. You brag about beating a team by one point that played three games in 8 days and by the way varina is not going far if they don't switch quarterbacks. Like Coach Johnson said he has a lot of things that needs to be cleaned up isn't that what a coach supposed to say. I think Varina and highland springs have six more games to go before they play in a championship game neither team should count there chickens before they hatch both teams have a long ways to go.

Reactions: springer76
Not trying to be funny but has the thought ever cross your mind that highland springs may not be as good as people think they are.

Glad to know that you are acknowledging that Varina is a good team and by the way I don't think freedom and highland springs will even meet. Freedom will make it to the championship game but I have my doubts about highland springs if they play the way they played against Manchester and Varina. You brag about beating a team by one point that played three games in 8 days and by the way varina is not going far if they don't switch quarterbacks. Like Coach Johnson said he has a lot of things that needs to be cleaned up isn't that what a coach supposed to say. I think Varina and highland springs have six more games to go before they play in a championship game neither team should count there chickens before they hatch both teams have a long ways to go.
It is a good ways to go. I am a Springer to it's core! I don't think this year's team has the cohesiveness that last year's team had. They are loaded with talent but continually make stupid costly mistakes that WILL cost them another title if they don't get it all together before it's too late.

2 things can be true. The Springers can be great and Freedom might still beat them by 2+ tds. 1996 div state title game Hampton pounded Undefeated Patrick Henry 51-0. Patrick Henry would have beat anyone else that showed up but they got Ronald Curry and Hampton so we forget that the Patriots were pretty damn good that year.

Reactions: Senex and CavsGrad
I wonder if it might end up being Freedom and Manchester in the title game again
The only good team Manchester played all year beat them! They haven’t faced a decent team since week 1. That’s a fact! Manchester will have to go through a beach team,TD,HS,and probably South County to just reach the final. They will be the region 3 seed. Don’t see it after their weak schedule!

As long as the best QB in the state is still under center,HS is always in it! Being the 1 seed favors HS’s chances to get to the finals,and freedom is 3 TDs better than any team in their region. There is a reason VHSL changed the bracket! Both teams scored 3 offensive TDs vs Varina in one half.

The only good team Manchester played all year beat them! They haven’t faced a decent team since week 1. That’s a fact! Manchester will have to go through a beach team,TD,HS,and probably South County to just reach the final. They will be the region 3 seed. Don’t see it after their weak schedule!
Same can be said for HS, they would have to face that same tough road. Weak schedule or not, Manchester's 6-point loss to HSHS only tells me that they are more than capable of knocking off the Springers in the playoffs.

I won't down talk a good team and well coached program like HS. Just seems like they have some healthy competition in their own region and that they aren't a clear cut favorite. If they make it to the state title and it meant that they had to squeak out a few close games along the way, then more power to them. I do hope we get the HSHS / Freedom final. We'll see very soon!

Same can be said for HS, they would have to face that same tough road. Weak schedule or not, Manchester's 6-point loss to HSHS only tells me that they are more than capable of knocking off the Springers in the playoffs.

I won't down talk a good team and well coached program like HS. Just seems like they have some healthy competition in their own region and that they aren't a clear cut favorite. If they make it to the state title and it meant that they had to squeak out a few close games along the way, then more power to them. I do hope we get the HSHS / Freedom final. We'll see very soon!
The fact that Manchester will play at least one good team before they have a chance to see Highland Springs. I think will help them prepare. Last time Highland Springs had played a really good team B4 they faced Manchester. Those 2 games were very physical and highland springs came out of it extremely banged up, but still manage to give Maury one hell of a game. HS is almost 100% healthy now, but they still need to get their power running back back for the playoffs. He still has not returned from a high ankle sprain He suffered late in the fourth quarter of the Manchester game.

As we’ve said, there’s a long way to go

In shambles as in they miss him, yes. You cannot argue that everywhere he's been he elevated the programs... Henrico, Bird, Hermitage. Might not have been the storybook ending for him anyone wanted but the programs aren't what they were not because of him but because he's not on their sidelines.
Appreciate you for this Bro!

Appreciate you for this Bro!
I don't see where he did a whole lot at Hermitage. The way I remember it was; after Patrick Kane left, they hired 'him'. It wasn't long after he was hired, he got busted for the theft of Bird's belongings. Then coached a little bit after he was accepted back to get the boot because Henrico County wouldn't allow him to be a Henrico employee. He did more harm to Hermitage than good! All because of his dishonesty!

I don't see where he did a whole lot at Hermitage. The way I remember it was; after Patrick Kane left, they hired 'him'. It wasn't long after he was hired, he got busted for the theft of Bird's belongings. Then coached a little bit after he was accepted back to get the boot because Henrico County wouldn't allow him to be a Henrico employee. He did more harm to Hermitage than good! All because of his dishonesty!
It’s probably best that I put you on ignore cause I’ll probably get banned again. I’ll just ignore you and say it to you, man to child 😇. No threats or curse words either before you use your card on me.

Last edited:
Reactions: CRF4Dan
It’s probably best that I put you on ignore cause I’ll probably get banned again. I’ll just ignore you and say it to your face 😇. No threats or curse words either before you use your card on me.
If I'm not telling the truth about it, what is the truth? I'll refresh your memory with the news articles.
https://richmond.com/sports/high-sc...cle_ffd02318-677b-5c3b-ac2c-6518ff5d5556.html This was when HCPS relieved him of his duties. https://richmond.com/sports/footbal...cle_82be20e9-370c-5e4c-b09a-32cf3d84eebe.html What kind of card would I have to use on you? I'm unaware of such a card. I'm just telling the truth! Sometimes that is a sensitive spot for some folks...

Last edited:
In fairness to Coach Bedwell he wasn't at Hermitage long enough to do damage to their program. He did lead Bird to 3 straight state titles so whatever happened after he left Bird was on them. He did his job there. Players he coach like Jason Snelling went to the NFL so he couldn't have been but so bad. Bird lost it's identity after he left but that's not his fault. From the time that school opened they were known for running the ball and great defense. He went to Bird and carried on the tradition so once again whatever happened after he left was not his fault or problem. Yes the equipment issue was a mistake but he was a great coach.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
In fairness to Coach Bedwell he wasn't at Hermitage long enough to do damage to their program. He did lead Bird to 3 straight state titles so whatever happened after he left Bird was on them. He did his job there. Players he coach like Jason Snelling went to the NFL so he couldn't have been but so bad. Bird lost it's identity after he left but that's not his fault. From the time that school opened they were known for running the ball and great defense. He went to Bird and carried on the tradition so once again whatever happened after he left was not his fault or problem. Yes the equipment issue was a mistake but he was a great coach.
He was a great coach! It's a shame he wasn't able to stay long enough to make Hermitage great again. If he had stayed, Herm would be right there with the best of the best. It just didn't work out.

Reactions: TDKLIGHTSOUT
It was a honest mistake. Springer lives in an area that most consider the hood and Bedwell has a 60+ acre, custom crib, private lake and hunting grounds. Why would Bedwell have to steal 🤣… I’m as respectful as they come but don’t come for the family.

Absolutely! My whole point, he wasn't at Hermitage long enough to make them great again. He took Henrico to the Championship and won 3 at Bird. He was a great coach! Unfortunately, he left Herm a bit tarnished.

It was a honest mistake. Springer lives in an area that most consider the hood and Bedwell has a 60+ acre, custom crib, private lake and hunting grounds. Why would Bedwell have to steal 🤣… I’m as respectful as they come but don’t come for the family.
You don't plead guilty in a court of law for honest mistakes! My big questions are: Where is this great football coach? What is he doing to make $$$? Is he coaching anywhere? I'm glad he has a 60+ acre, custom crib, private lake and hunting grounds. Maybe he hit the jackpot or won the lottery. That kind of property sounds like millions of dollars! I didn't know high school guidance councilors/football coaches made that kind of money! He wasn't good at embezzling money, he got caught and pled guilty! In addition to the equipment, Bedwell bought clothing for his Hermitage program, but charged those purchases to Bird. All of this is NOT an "honest mistake", it was a stupid mistake!

https://www.wtvr.com/2019/11/26/dave-bedwell-guilty-plea

Last edited:
Reactions: Senex
You don't plead guilty in a court of law for honest mistakes! My big questions are: Where is this great football coach? What is he doing to make $$$? Is he coaching anywhere? I'm glad he has a 60+ acre, custom crib, private lake and hunting grounds. Maybe he hit the jackpot or won the lottery. That kind of property sounds like millions of dollars! I didn't know high school guidance councilors/football coaches made that kind of money! He wasn't good at embezzling money, he got caught and pled guilty! https://www.wtvr.com/2019/11/26/dave-bedwell-guilty-plea
What the heck is a “guidance councilor”?

Springers’ post says all we need to know about him and his character as a person. We call em haters and drama queens. I am educated on all of the details on the situation, was around people making the decisions and you’re telling me? 😂, typical CNN follower behavior. Y’all be blessed. Go Varina Blue Devils!

• Haha
Reactions: springer76
Springers’ post says all we need to know about him and his character as a person. We call em haters and drama queens. I am educated on all of the details on the situation, was around people making the decisions and you’re telling me? 😂, typical CNN follower behavior. Y’all be blessed. Go Varina Blue Devils!
When I was in school they were called guidance councilors. Maybe this definition will fix your ignorance.
School counselors are highly educated, professionally certified individuals who help students succeed in school and plan their career. An integral part of the total education system, school counselors help students form healthy goals, mindsets and behaviors. They were called guidance counsilors in my day. School councilors now. It's the same "guidance" for the kid's futures! I hope this helps you to understand.
...and I don't care what you call me, HE PLEADED GUILTY....PERIOD! That's what Bedwell was! A school councilor, same thing as a guidance councilor. He'll never be a school councilor again, would you want a convicted thief counciling your kids?

When I was in school they were called guidance councilors. Maybe this definition will fix your ignorance.
School counselors are highly educated, professionally certified individuals who help students succeed in school and plan their career. An integral part of the total education system, school counselors help students form healthy goals, mindsets and behaviors. They were called guidance counsilors in my day. School councilors now. It's the same "guidance" for the kid's futures! I hope this helps you to understand.
...and I don't care what you call me, HE PLEADED GUILTY....PERIOD! That's what Bedwell was! A school councilor, same thing as a guidance councilor. He'll never be a school councilor again, would you want a convicted thief counciling your kids?
How do you give me a definition that you clearly don’t know cause you had to google it, actually spell it right (actually google did that for you, then proceed to misspell it again and again. We call people like you “4 oranges short of a half a dozen”. 🤡 behavior. Again what the heck is a councilor 🤣

How do you give me a definition that you clearly don’t know cause you had to google it, actually spell it right (actually google did that for you, then proceed to misspell it again and again. We call people like you “4 oranges short of a half a dozen”. 🤡 behavior. Again what the heck is a councilor 🤣
You know damn good well what I'm talking about. You aren't worth me continuing this nonsense with you. I guess your smart ass has never spelled a word wrong. **** you asshole, I hope Vapreps bans me and I will keep their $10/month to avoid assholes like you! I'm a retired old man and I don't need BS like you or anything you think might be right. We have different opinions and I'm okay with that, trying to explain something to a brick head or a conspiracy theorist like you does me no good! Please don't contact me again in any form. Bo might know Sports, but he sure doesn't have much in the way of common sense! Counselor...are you happy? So I misspelled a word. I'm sure you had no idea of what I was talking about!

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedingNavy
😂 Knew that card was coming! You’re the victim now? Typical behavior. I’m not a cyber bully but I hope you do stop posting on here. I won’t miss you!!

@BoKnowsSports @springer76

We don't always have to get along or agree but I value both your opinions on the subject of football and your passion for your respective schools. We actually need more fans like you guys so don't leave the site due to a disagreement or hard feelings. Easier said than done, believe me I speak from experience.

Let's agree to disagree on this subject and keep supporting the game we love.

@BoKnowsSports @springer76

We don't always have to get along or agree but I value both your opinions on the subject of football and your passion for your respective schools. We actually need more fans like you guys so don't leave the site due to a disagreement or hard feelings. Easier said than done, believe me I speak from experience.

Let's agree to disagree on this subject and keep supporting the game we love.
I agree Danny but there’s a HUGEEE difference in you and I disagreeing about Coach Johnson being the goat over Dave Bedwell and my brother being slandered on a public forum. To spew lies about a man being fired when it clearly says he stepped away is wild. Look at the stuff he said. Let him go, I know preps won’t ban him anyway.

I agree Danny but there’s a HUGEEE difference in you and I disagreeing about Coach Johnson being the goat over Dave Bedwell and my brother being slandered on a public forum. To spew lies about a man being fired when it clearly says he stepped away is wild. Look at the stuff he said. Let him go, I know preps won’t ban him anyway.
This is the last you'll hear from me.
I apologize if I offended you and Mr. Bedwell. Farewell.

Reactions: HooSprings
He’s only repeating everything the news media said,and even posted the link. Kill the messenger all you want,but your anger should be toward the media if the info was wrong. I was on the same coaching staff at Henrico in 99 with him,and know him personally as well. He’s a good dude,but the MEDIA claimed “he made mistakes that got him dismissed”. Once it’s put out there by the media,you’re now guilty in the public eye regardless of if you actually did anything wrong or not. This is 2020s where you’re guilty until proven innocent,and he was never cleared of anything by the media,so it stuck as “guilty”. You may not like it,but this is the new America.

For goodness sakes…both of you just drop it,or call the media & complain!

Reactions: CRF4Dan
He chooses not to. He could’ve continued to coach and be a counselor at Herm but he didn’t want to be a counselor anymore. He lives an hour away from Herm so that was kind of a waste.
Wish he’d get back into it. There are so many school who could use him, I hope one day he does decide to come back to coach. Just not in Class 4 tho 😅

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
He’s only repeating everything the news media said,and even posted the link. Kill the messenger all you want,but your anger should be toward the media if the info was wrong. I was on the same coaching staff at Henrico in 99 with him,and know him personally as well. He’s a good dude,but the MEDIA claimed “he made mistakes that got him dismissed”. Once it’s put out there by the media,you’re now guilty in the public eye regardless of if you actually did anything wrong or not. This is 2020s where you’re guilty until proven innocent,and he was never cleared of anything by the media,so it stuck as “guilty”. You may not like it,but this is the new America.

For goodness sakes…both of you just drop it,or call the media & complain!
You’re not telling me anything wrong. Just know what you’re talking about before you post or repeat misinformation.

Of course he’s gonna be protected on here.

The moderators are racist as hell man! I got banned before for much less and I’ve been called an “asshole” by two separate white dudes in the past three weeks. It is what it is but like you said, this is America or whatever Ice Cube called it.

Wish he’d get back into it. There are so many school who could use him, I hope one day he does decide to come back to coach. Just not in Class 4 tho 😅
He misses it but Bedwell is one of the last old school coaches/educators out there. Things have changed so much in the short time you and I have been out of high school. With the way these kids and parents act and the school systems pandering to that behavior, I’m sure he’s cool doing what he’s doing.

I’m hoping to see him coach again. Would love to see him at a Louisa or Powhatan.

Anybody not expecting Freedom to make a deep run in the playoffs, has not been paying attention. I said before the Freedom/Varina game that the better measuring stick for Freedom would be the Freedom/DeMatha game, and I think that still holds true. The only edge I give HSHS over Freedom is their depth, and I believe playing DeMatha over two days benefited Freedom more than DeMatha. Nonetheless, I still think HSHS and Freedom will meet with Freedom being too much for HSHS.

I know this is the first year that highland springs has played in division 6 can anyone tell me whether Varina has ever played in division 6 I was told that they went to two or three state championships in division 6 but lost all three

I know this is the first year that highland springs has played in division 6 can anyone tell me whether Varina has ever played in division 6 I was told that they went to two or three state championships in division 6 but lost all three
Lost 3 in a row to Hylton. 99 was one of those years.Michael Robinson was the QB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT