ADVERTISEMENT

HSHS v Varina

The Springers have the db's and interior line to contain Varina's deep threat. I have Highland Springs winning, but it will be a well earned old fashioned style game. Martins legs will set the table for the Springers offense.
Martin doesn’t run much anymore. He moves the pocket and find receivers coming open. He gets all of his play makers involved, including that sophomore running back that just got an EAST Carolina offer. He’s averaging over 100 yards a game.

Yeah, @HooSprings I didn't forget about Eric Byrd. If you watched the game tonight Varina did a great job stuffing the run up the middle. The quarterback was able to find huge running lanes on passing downs. Martin may not be running lately, but if he gets that kind of room he will take off. Once Martin shows that will take the space it will force the Varina defense to slow down and Byrd and Henley will have success inside and out.

Reactions: HooSprings
Yeah, @HooSprings I didn't forget about Eric Byrd. If you watched the game tonight Varina did a great job stuffing the run up the middle. The quarterback was able to find huge running lanes on passing downs. Martin may not be running lately, but if he gets that kind of room he will take off. Once Martin shows that will take the space it will force the Varina defense to slow down and Byrd and Henley will , Highland Springs, have success inside and out.
Only thing I will see about that is, the Highland Springs offensive line is far superior to the Hermitage offensive line, including moving there all state left tackle to left guard to play beside their second team all state center. That made room for the Hermitage transfered at right tackle that is 6’5, 280lbs. Last year’s right tackle has moved left tackle.

That chemistry change took some time, and those three monsters that Highland Springs faced to open the season,really help them build the chemistry(all three of those teams had defensive ends that will play power five the next level). They looked fantastic against Hermitage, but once again, I keep that in perspective. If HS can move the ball on the ground against Varina, the way freedom did,I’m quite confident in the results.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
If HSHS wins out it looks like they will slightly edge out an undefeated Thomas Dale for the #1 seed. I don't believe so, but I may be off. The final totals should have the Springers at 36.9993, Dale at 36.795 and Manchester at 32.898. Having to play Richmond School of the Arts cost Manchester dearly as they only picked up a base of 26 with no rider points. Again I could be wrong, but this looks spot on. If Miramar wins it last game the gap could be more for the Springers.

Reactions: springer76
If HSHS wins out it looks like they will slightly edge out an undefeated Thomas Dale for the #1 seed. I don't believe so, but I may be off. The final totals should have the Springers at 36.9993, Dale at 36.795 and Manchester at 32.898. Having to play Richmond School of the Arts cost Manchester dearly as they only picked up a base of 26 with no rider points. Again I could be wrong, but this looks spot on. If Miramar wins it last game the gap could be more for the Springers.
LCB losing again last night didn’t help TD!

As I told you last night via our chat... Armstrong while no Varina and not facing the same level of competition has 3 games in 7 days.

This Friday they play an undefeated Thomas Jefferson team on a neutral field, Hovey.

Then the following Monday they have a makeup game at Manassas Park and then on Thursday they go to Mechanicsville.

Again, schedule doesn't compare to that of Varina but 3 games in 7 days is crazy.
Maybe I'm in the minority about this, but I wouldn't have minded this when I was in school. Also, I sure loved playing games more than I liked having practice. I think the challenge of three games in seven days is good if they can manage it.

Varina is very fun to watch and much more dangerous with #19 freshman QB Wyche in the game.

6-0 Varina. Well thrown and good catch.

Reactions: CavsGrad
12-0 Varina. Great red zone stop for the Blue Devils. The scheme is still vanilla, but Wyche has added some spice to offense. His elusiveness and creativity has caught HSHS napping. #19 is not bothered by the moment for sure. Much harder to prepare for this kid. He can make a huge difference if the coaches stick with him.

Very surprising so far but let's go Blue Devils ! 2nd half will come down to Varina still getting stops. Not going to be able to throw it up all game.

Martin is not making good throws or decisions either. Springers better get their mess together quickly or they will be traveling to Manchester in the semi finals of the playoffs. I totally agree @General172011, the Springers seem to be failing to recognize where they have been successful.

Reactions: springer76
An interesting game for sure. Varina's D is top shelf! 2 teams of equal "goodness"! Good job Devils too! Now.... HS.... as someone in this posted, HS had some real head scratching play calls out there. Still sloppy play, no since of urgency. Always walking, these kids look tired.... at any rate, I don't know what goes on behind closed doors over there, I speak about what I see and it looks like HS has a lot to clean up if they want another State Title. I do think they are better than what I saw today.
With that said... A win is a win! No matter how you slice it!

Reactions: General172011
F9gYwPuW0AAaCqe

I hope that was a tongue in cheek statement @EPJr. Blow out or not football is football. I don't know if you ever played and got hit hard, but most players need a few days to recover. I know the players of today are better trained and physical specimens, but the collisions are still the same.
VHSL Rule # 68-2-5 says players are limited to 90 minutes of full contact practice per week. For the purpose of this rule full contact is defined as a game situation, tackling to the ground, playing football. Besides it gives HSHS a distinct advantage in more ways than one. Just saying.

Praying for injury free games for the Blue Devils and their opponents.
I 100 percent agree. The Blue Devils starting QB was knocked out cold today and laid motionless for a few heart-stopping minutes. To those who use the, "back in the day" premiss, "back in the day" is exactly why there are so many rules today.

An interesting game for sure. Varina's D is top shelf! 2 teams of equal "goodness"! Good job Devils too! Now.... HS.... as someone in this posted, HS had some real head scratching play calls out there. Still sloppy play, no since of urgency. Always walking, these kids look tired.... at any rate, I don't know what goes on behind closed doors over there, I speak about what I see and it looks like HS has a lot to clean up if they want another State Title. I do think they are better than what I saw today.
Highland springs had 7 to 8 days to prepare for a Varina , Varina only had 3 days to prepare for highland springs after playing Hermitage , Varinas defense looked a little tired in the fourth quarter three games in 8 days.

Springers play like this against Freedom they will get run off the field. The Eagles start faster than even Maury. The only thing I think the Springers might be able to do is make the Freedom QB throw picks by inside rushes. If they get a couple of hits on him he might start seeing ghosts lol

Varina is very fun to watch and much more dangerous with #19 freshman QB Wyche in the game.

6-0 Varina. Well thrown and good catch.
That was the consensus along the sideline along the media. Not to take anything from Linwood Johnson, still a solid QB but Wyche appears to have a bit more athleticism to him.

Bedwell left Bird and Hermitage in shambles to end his football career!
In shambles as in they miss him, yes. You cannot argue that everywhere he's been he elevated the programs... Henrico, Bird, Hermitage. Might not have been the storybook ending for him anyone wanted but the programs aren't what they were not because of him but because he's not on their sidelines.

Martin is not making good throws or decisions either. Springers better get their mess together quickly or they will be traveling to Manchester in the semi finals of the playoffs. I totally agree @General172011, the Springers seem to be failing to recognize where they have been successful.
I think Martin's throws and decision making IMO was a reflection of the defense coming at him. I saw Martin take more hits and pressured more than at any point this or last season.

Biggest problem I have with this year’s HS team is they make way too mistakes in big time games, (that int was an incompletion)

Highland springs had 7 to 8 days to prepare for a Varina , Varina only had 3 days to prepare for highland springs after playing Hermitage , Varinas defense looked a little tired in the fourth quarter three games in 8 days.
I think the defense was showing some fatigue... unusual heat at end of October I'm sure did not help. I feel in my heart of hearts that the defense while it did give up TD's, the Blue Devils still had a chance until that awful kick return recovery. Both teams struggled with that in this game and it bit Varina at the wrong time.

Coach Johnson said as much in a post-game interview. Lots to clean up... he was not at all pleased with what he saw today.

Springers play like this against Freedom they will get run off the field. The Eagles start faster than even Maury. The only thing I think the Springers might be able to do is make the Freedom QB throw picks by inside rushes. If they get a couple of hits on him he might start seeing ghosts lol
What makes you think they are playing freedom and if they did they would get run off the field

Coaching and team speed. Especially coaching. Watch Freedomby40 vlog on YouTube. Their coaching on all levels is intense. They get on their players even when they have big leads.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT