ADVERTISEMENT

Just for random general topics.

Well gang, I think I’m going to survive. I started turning the corner yesterday about mid-day. I thank each of you for your thoughts and prayers.

Horsepasture, I’ve got you on my prayer list. I hope Duke gives you encouraging news next Tuesday. I don’t want to hear that you are ”waiting on the far side bank of Jordon” anytime soon, ok?

Don't worry he's still here using a different name😂
What about the guy from Salem that used a series of letters that had something to do with a hot dog stand? Mike of BN, you should remember him?

DP, you brought a tear to my eyes. I think about my late wife everytime I hear that song and it would be just like her to come running to me and welcome me home!!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
OMHDC (Ole Mule Hot Dog Company)
He's still involved with REC league FB in Salem. I saw him at ECG for the playoff game. Good guy,
LOL, yep that’s him. The reason that I brought BN into this one is that he knows where every good hotdog is or was.
He and I have found some pretty darn good food over the years. He and I both need to stick with tossed salads, but damn it’s hard not to eat good food.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
LOL, yep that’s him. The reason that I brought BN into this one is that he knows where every good hotdog is or was.
He and I have found some pretty darn good food over the years. He and I both need to stick with tossed salads, but damn it’s hard not to eat good food.

What's the best place in Dinwiddie to get a bite to eat? Not because I'll be down there but I love hearing about local spots that are just killer.

What's the best place in Dinwiddie to get a bite to eat? Not because I'll be down there but I love hearing about local spots that are just killer.
Two places come to mind.

The Country Store on Boydton Plank Road, in the actual village of Dinwiddie, is hard to beat. Owned and Operated by the local Mennonites, you get great, polite service, great food, and at almost any time of day, 98% of the county residence seem to be in there. But seriously, it’s a local hot spot.

And Giuseppes also on Boydton Plank but near where 85 and 460 meet.
Adriana and Vinnie, and their family run about as good of a restaurant as you will find.

Both of these places give back to the community in a lot of ways. That means a lot to me. When Covid first became full blown, and schools went virtual, she knew some kids were not eating because they were not at school. She got the word out that she would feed any kid that was in need. And she and Vinnie did. No questions asked.

Lots of other places around, but these are my two favorites.

Two places come to mind.

The Country Store on Boydton Plank Road, in the actual village of Dinwiddie, is hard to beat. Owned and Operated by the local Mennonites, you get great, polite service, great food, and at almost any time of day, 98% of the county residence seem to be in there. But seriously, it’s a local hot spot.

And Giuseppes also on Boydton Plank but near where 85 and 460 meet.
Adriana and Vinnie, and their family run about as good of a restaurant as you will find.

Both of these places give back to the community in a lot of ways. That means a lot to me. When Covid first became full blown, and schools went virtual, she knew some kids were not eating because they were not at school. She got the word out that she would feed any kid that was in need. And she and Vinnie did. No questions asked.

Lots of other places around, but these are my two favorites.

Love it, reading this post is making my mouth water. Still have 20 minutes in this boring gen-ed class...painful.

That is awesome about Giuseppes and the kids. Giving back to the community is such an awesome trait about a restaurant (or anything of the type). And you can't beat the Mennonites! There is a local Mennonite place in Dayton (outside of Harrisonburg) that has the best breakfast I've ever had.

Hope your health continues to improve!

Love it, reading this post is making my mouth water. Still have 20 minutes in this boring gen-ed class...painful.

That is awesome about Giuseppes and the kids. Giving back to the community is such an awesome trait about a restaurant (or anything of the type). And you can't beat the Mennonites! There is a local Mennonite place in Dayton (outside of Harrisonburg) that has the best breakfast I've ever had.

Hope your health continues to improve!
Thank you sir.

My guys were working in Dayton the other day. I’ll have to ask them if they ate there. We will be making numerous additional trips to that area, so if they have not eaten there, they will the next time. Thanks.

Food and Football do start with the same three letters, you know.
Thanks Mike. I’m doing great, compared to where I was.

Reactions: mike salem
This is utterly unbelievable. How in the hell did she ever think that this would not come to light?

Like Dr Haun eluded to in the article, coaching on the high school level and below is just as much about teaching life’s skills as much as it is about teaching about athletics. And a huge portion of this is teaching by the example you set.

Like Dr Haun eluded to in the article, coaching on the high school level and below is just as much about teaching life’s skills as much as it is about teaching about athletics. And a huge portion of this is teaching by the example you set.
I had not noticed that gwb16 had posted a similar article down on the winter thread.

Well gang, I think I’m going to survive. I started turning the corner yesterday about mid-day. I thank each of you for your thoughts and prayers.

Horsepasture, I’ve got you on my prayer list. I hope Duke gives you encouraging news next Tuesday. I don’t want to hear that you are ”waiting on the far side bank of Jordon” anytime soon, ok?
So glad to hear Dinwiddie. Prayers do work.

DP, just an update from the sickly section of Henry Co. Went to the Dr today because I've been feeling really poor the last few days. They sent me to the hospital for chest x-rays to determine if I have pneumonia or acute bronchitis, man when it rains it pours.

Poor guy. Either one is bad, but I think pneumonia might be worse. I hope you are able to take a strong antibiotic with your other issues? Regardless, you sure don’t need this right now. You know you have my prayers.

A semi amusing thing about me and pneumonia. About 15 years ago, a life long friend of mine convinced me that I needed to protect my wife and my assets with enough life insurance. He also is my insurance agent. So after putting him off as long as I could, I finally saw the wisdom in what he advised, and agreed. So, I went through all of the usual paperwork and medical testing, which I passed with flying colors, and agreed to meet him for lunch and sign the final papers. This was on a Tuesday. Of course, since he was a friend, I gave him hell about knocking me off now, and sweet talking my widow out of what was a substantial amount of money. He said that, that was his plan.

That night I had to attend a meeting and while at the meeting, I started having a terrible pain in my left upper chest. Being an EMT and in the emergency services field my entire life, I was all but positive that it wasn’t a heart attack, but it hurt so bad I strongly considered calling 911. But I toughed it out, went home, took some pills and felt better the next morning. I knew I had a torn rotator cuff in that shoulder so I figured it was coming from that. I kept using the pain pills that I had for the shoulder problem and my rotten back, and struggled on. (Remember, 15 years back they handed out hydrocodone like it was candy.)

By Friday morning I was really sick. So weak, I had to let my wife drive me to the doctor. I get in there and within 60 seconds my doc said “you have pneumonia.” I said no way. No fever, no coughing, I’ve have not even had a cold. Well, the X-ray verified it and that started a long drawn out, and scary, drama. Six months, several CAT scans, an untold number of X-rays, two surgeries, and 23 lbs lighter, I finally got better. I could just not get well and they started looking for some reason why. I remember one surgeon telling me that he was concerned that it may be lymphoma because my lymph nodes were so swollen. I said doc, I’ve been fighting pneumonia for months, they are going to be swollen. He said, not 10 times their normal size swollen. He got my attention.

Two surgeries later they determined that had sarcoidosis. An uncommon but not unheard of problem in firefighters.

Throughout this ordeal I kept giving my insurance agent/best friend the devil. I told him that I could see him cutting my brake lines, or poisoning my food or something, but I couldn’t figure out how he had orchestrated pneumonia and sarcoidosis? He said that he was a professional and that I should go ahead and die because he was tired of waiting for his money.

I need better friends.

But honestly, that mess damn near killed me. I was in excellent health and was still 10’ tall and bulletproof, or so I thought. Horsepasture, I pray that if it’s pneumonia they can knock it right out and you can get to work on healing everything else up.

I hear that we will have a comet swing by not to far from the earth. They say the last time it came by that cavemen wandered the planet.

So Bleeding Navy, what did it look like back then?

So that’s why I have a bad knee. And all these years I thought it was from wrestling that wooly mammoth.

What about the guy from Salem that used a series of letters that had something to do with a hot dog stand? Mike of BN, you should remember him?
Old mule Hot Dogs. I know he's very passionate about the program. I don't think he has been posting last couple seasons.

Lee (Old Mule) looked like the love child of Kenny Rogers and Santa Clause. We met at PC/Salem games several times. He once met me and my daughter in the parking lot in Salem before they played my Cougars with a big jar of homemade corn chowder. It impressed me, so I asked him to send me the recipe. He did, writing it sarcastically (....saute the onions in the bacon grease. For Pulaski County fans, that means fry.) I adjusted his wonderful recipe, adding chicken, shrimp, mushrooms, more bacon, more onions, more diced potatoes, and more seasoning. Sometimes we even grilled the shrimp in Old Bay then put them in the chowder. When I gave the recipe to my kids, I mentioned how to NOT make it like anyone from Salem.

Mike (Old Hippie) Hamlin was also a Salem fan that used to post a lot. Met him at a game here and we hit it off because we both rode motorcycles. He had a beautiful Big Dawg Mastiff. He worked for the railroad and occasionally passed through Dublin and Pulaski, and told me when he did he always spit....lol. I ended up doing the wedding pictures for his daughter, who at the time was the varsity cheer coach for Salem. I got my revenge by putting Cougar bumper stickers on several locations at the reception. He loved it. Mike passed away several years ago. We rode a couple of pretty nice miles together on the bikes.

Both, like me, were fiercely loyal to their team and their community. I guess that's why we got along when we ran into each other.

By the way, Wiki the guy you met from Pulaski County was my brother, Tombstone. I was on the field and he was up top with the video stuff, so I never got to meet you. He's doing well and stays busy. He filmed the games for the team through last season, but I think he's done now.

Met some good folks on here, even if they were cheering for the wrong teams.

Lee (Old Mule) looked like the love child of Kenny Rogers and Santa Clause. We met at PC/Salem games several times. He once met me and my daughter in the parking lot in Salem before they played my Cougars with a big jar of homemade corn chowder. It impressed me, so I asked him to send me the recipe. He did, writing it sarcastically (....saute the onions in the bacon grease. For Pulaski County fans, that means fry.) I adjusted his wonderful recipe, adding chicken, shrimp, mushrooms, more bacon, more onions, more diced potatoes, and more seasoning. Sometimes we even grilled the shrimp in Old Bay then put them in the chowder. When I gave the recipe to my kids, I mentioned how to NOT make it like anyone from Salem.

Mike (Old Hippie) Hamlin was also a Salem fan that used to post a lot. Met him at a game here and we hit it off because we both rode motorcycles. He had a beautiful Big Dawg Mastiff. He worked for the railroad and occasionally passed through Dublin and Pulaski, and told me when he did he always spit....lol. I ended up doing the wedding pictures for his daughter, who at the time was the varsity cheer coach for Salem. I got my revenge by putting Cougar bumper stickers on several locations at the reception. He loved it. Mike passed away several years ago. We rode a couple of pretty nice miles together on the bikes.

Both, like me, were fiercely loyal to their team and their community. I guess that's why we got along when we ran into each other.

By the way, Wiki the guy you met from Pulaski County was my brother, Tombstone. I was on the field and he was up top with the video stuff, so I never got to meet you. He's doing well and stays busy. He filmed the games for the team through last season, but I think he's done now.

Isn’t it amazing Dave, how some really great people have such poor judgement that they root for the wrong team?😆

Reactions: Cougardave

Tell him hello for me. I’m first met him at Pulaski in the playoff game and then he came to Amherst once also

It was good catching up with you at the girls games. They should be the fav to win this yr. Good luck Friday

Reactions: Cougardave
It was good catching up with you at the girls games. They should be the fav to win this yr. Good luck Friday
Isn't it just shocking how reasonable people can talk, face to face, and have a discussion without pointing fingers, making accusations, or trying to slam an organization? Even when they are fans of opposing teams!

Wiki, he still comes on here now and then I think just to see what's being said, but I'll pass the word along when I see him.

Many forget that it’s just a kids game, designed to be fun, and the rest of us are just along for the ride.

As a bit of an example, what VT did for that kid and his family that are fighting brain cancer should remind us all what is truly important about athletics.

Last edited:
DP, we played IKnow who holds Tommorow off of that Allison Krauss and the Cox Family cd at my wife's funeral 25 years ago this month. My boys were just 14 and 10 at the time and that cd has a special place in my heart. The boys turned out to be pretty good athletes at Magna Vista and both went on to college to play baseball. They both are in law enforcement now, with promotions and accommodations for both. So if the Lord calls me home in the near future, I've lived a blessed life, 4 grandkids who I adore and also people on here who I love to converse with about high school sports.
Checking in on you, my friend. I hope and pray your test back in Feb. were encouraging? I assume you are about to head back to Duke soon for your monthly visit? I think of you often, and each time I do, I say a little prayer for you.

I guess I’m 98% over Covid. Just a little lingering chest congestion. I hope you are completely well from your Covid episode?

My best regards, DP

Thanks for your thoughts. Been a tough 2 months, first it was Covid, was getting over that when I developed pneumonia in my left lung. Then when I was healing from that I got the flu and the pneumonia came back. Still battling that today. The steroid they put me on has played havoc with my blood sugar, regularly in the 325-350 range so they have increased my insulin intake quite a bit. But other than that everything is going good. They say the Lord doesn't give you more than you can handle, but I wonder sometimes.

Thanks for your thoughts. Been a tough 2 months, first it was Covid, was getting over that when I developed pneumonia in my left lung. Then when I was healing from that I got the flu and the pneumonia came back. Still battling that today. The steroid they put me on has played havoc with my blood sugar, regularly in the 325-350 range so they have increased my insulin intake quite a bit. But other than that everything is going good. They say the Lord doesn't give you more than you can handle, but I wonder sometimes.
Praying for you brother. I've had to take IV steroids before with my MS and the way it affects the blood sugar is crazy. Praying that your immune system can get everything back to normal.

I also met Rod Johnson, very nice I’ve met several people from the VHSL. The guy who I met years ago “Tombstone” hasn’t been on here for years.
i'm still around, just don't post. Grandkids and work keep me plenty busy lol. I have still filmed every year for the team but decided to call it a career after last season. i still remember that questioning look on your face that day when i asked if you were wikki lol. hope all is well for you.

Good gracious buddy. You don’t seem to be able to catch a break. Let’s hope that the worst is behind you and better days are ahead. Let us know if we can help in any way. I’m sure that many of us on this forum are more than willing to lend a hand.

i'm still around, just don't post. Grandkids and work keep me plenty busy lol. I have still filmed every year for the team but decided to call it a career after last season. i still remember that questioning look on your face that day when i asked if you were wikki lol. hope all is well for you.
It’s good to hear from you. I hope you will add your comments from time to time. We have missed you. Continue to enjoy, and spoil, those grandkids.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT