ADVERTISEMENT

Phoebus 104 Jamestown 0 FINAL

There is no real answer to the problem. Too many teams play cupcake schedules while others play tough ones and lose a few games. Rewarding teams who play in poor districts or pad their schedule is just as unfair. You would have to revamp the points system and dissolve districts to do that.

There is no real answer to the problem. Too many teams play cupcake schedules while others play tough ones and lose a few games. Rewarding teams who play in poor districts or pad their schedule is just as unfair. You would have to revamp the points system and dissolve districts to do that.

It isn't unique to VA. Chambers played five top 300 teams this season. Three of those were in conference. We could've gone 4-1 in those games, and still wouldn't have gotten a top 10 seed!

Overall, I think it's still worth it. You're gonna have to beat good teams to win a championship.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
@Phoebus Fan, was straight up about his concerns. He said big risk little reward. He practically begged Jamestown to forfeit. I have no issues with Phoebus securing the game, getting the studs out and letting the young ones do what they can. Coach Blount is a humble man and class act. If people are dogging him they shouldn't. The region committee and the voting members of the VHSL are solely responsible.

Last edited:
@Phoebus Fan, was straight up about his concerns. He said big risk little reward. He practically begged Jamestown to forfeit. I have no issues with Phoebus securing the game, getting the studs out and letting the young ones do what they can. Coach Blount is a humble man and class act. If people are dogging him they shouldn't. The region committee and the voting members of the VHSL are solely responsible.
Game benefited nobody but the JV kids who never get a chance to play varsity games. They legit ran practice plays with the backup freshman QB

Just saw the highlight. Throwing for a tuddy with 12 seconds left ain't it, chief.
The kids wanted the 100 🤷🏽‍♂️

I’m shocked that Blunt did it but it was all JV players on the field and he let them have their moments and they worked on a lot of things in the actual game. Got a chance to try some plays out with freshman QB and the kid begged not just to hand ball off.

Reactions: gwb16

I’m shocked that Blunt did it but it was all JV players on the field and he let them have their moments and they worked on a lot of things in the actual game. Got a chance to try some plays out with freshman QB and the kid begged not just to hand ball off.
Oh I get it! 98 just don't hit as hard as 104. And they broke the scoreboard which rarely happens.

With that said, if I played for J'town, Phoebus woulda had to see me at 50 yard line after the game.

Or I woulda quit in the locker room at halftime.

Oh I get it! 98 just don't hit as hard as 104. And they broke the scoreboard which rarely happens.

With that said, if I played for J'town, Phoebus woulda had to see me at 50 yard line after the game.

Or I woulda quit in the locker room at halftime.
Honestly if I had a kid on the team they would’ve been in the car with me going home after Phoebus went up 20-0 48 seconds into the game.

I’ve said this many times before, and there are always plenty of people that disagree, but I don’t think “running up the score” is a real thing. Leaving in your starters up big? Sure. Scoring with the second or third string or JV players? That’s just letting players compete IMO.

Honestly if I had a kid on the team they would’ve been in the car with me going home after Phoebus went up 20-0 48 seconds into the game.
This legit funny as my girlfriend said the EXACT same thing as you! Said she woulda hopped the fence, grabbed her son by the shoulder pad, took him to the car and left all the equipment in the parking lot. 😭😭😭

I’ve said this many times before, and there are always plenty of people that disagree, but I don’t think “running up the score” is a real thing. Leaving in your starters up big? Sure. Scoring with the second or third string or JV players? That’s just letting players compete IMO.
I think there's a fine line. As a coach, I'm not throwing for last second tuddies if I'm up 98 but that's just me. I'm not questioning Blunt's integrity at all as this hasn't been the norm for him. If I question him then I gotta question McCain over at Maury along with other coaches throughout the state.

To be fair, J'town probably couldn't win the 8-man state chip with 11 players on the field. My biggest question is how bad is Nottoway cause boyyyyy......

You also never know if there was some dumb chirping happening pregame. that kind of thing can impact perspectives when it comes to taking your foot off the gas.

You also never know if there was some dumb chirping happening pregame. that kind of thing can impact perspectives when it comes to taking your foot off the gas.
Nah Jamestown wasn’t talking and their players were still helping Phoebus players up and slapping them on helmets even down 77-0. Very respectable and disciplined group of kids.

Yeah i agree. Getting players opportunity to run real plays in a playoff game will do wonders in future.

Fewer classes solve this. Why? Because you increase the number of schools in each class that are playoff eligible which increases the chance that teams which 1-9 records do not make the playoffs.

Ok? Y’all work for VHSL or something? So set on blaming the region and not VHSL.
No, at least for me, no official affiliation with the VHSL. You missed my point. The League, which is the 200+ member schools voted to allow the Regions autonomy to decide their regional champ by whatever method they desire. Which is why a few Regions have gone to a six team format.

I’m not disagreeing with you that this game, and others like it, might have been a mistake. I’m only pointing out that it’s 100% in the hands of each individual Region to set the rules, NOT the VHSL League office. The League office works for, and takes its marching orders from the 200+ member schools.

The League has been blamed for everything from poor officiating to lousy food at the concession stands. when in truth, 100% of what goes on is exclusively within the realm of the membership. The League office is there to carry out the rules and directions of the membership.

Think of it this way. Your local Commisioner of the Revenue and/or Treasure’s Office is where you go to pay your taxes and fees. Blaming them for your taxes or property assessment is not where you need to place the blame. They only do what they are told to do. Your Town Council, Board of Supervisors, or City Council make the rules. And guess who puts them in or out of office? Yep, the membership, which in this case is the voting public.

So, by all means, voice your dissatisfaction, but go after where the blame lies, your school, your District, and your Regional representatives.

Just read on FB that Phoebus offered up 8 min quarters and a running clock after the 1st qtr but Jamestown declined.

Guess the handed out work was asked for....
I heard the same thing from an irrefutable source. I also heard that the Jamestown Coach was offended by the offer.

Well.... I've read on Facebook a couple different times this season Phoebus fans complaining about teams forfeiting games with them....so Jamestown decided to man up and play the damn game and Phoebus fans are still bitchin about it.... conclusion: NOTHING satisfies a Phantom fan...if Jamestown has forfeited, this thread would have been bashing the Eagles. FACT....so what do you want?
The playoff format is what it is. Until the VHSL makes a MAJOR change to the way they format qualifying...things like this will continue.
I watched the highlights on the news this morning...is anyone questioning why Phoebus was still airing it out while up by 90 points? Just a simple question...plenty of questions and finger pointing to go around.
This participation trophy mentality has gotten out of control. Maybe it's time to go back to strictly districts. Win your district, you're in. Finish 2nd, get ready for basketball season. 9-1? Sucks to be you ...

Fewer classes solve this. Why? Because you increase the number of schools in each class that are playoff eligible which increases the chance that teams which 1-9 records do not make the playoffs.
Exactly.... there's no need to have 6 divisions in VA... make it 4 and let's move on. Some of these first round playoff scores were insanely lopsided.

Nah Jamestown wasn’t talking and their players were still helping Phoebus players up and slapping them on helmets even down 77-0. Very respectable and disciplined group of kids.
Jamestown has always been like that. They're a great bunch of kids. For YEARS they've represented their school with class. I'm glad you posted this.

He's building for the future...if the Eagles weren't capable of competing with the JV squad...OOOPH... that's not a good sign for the rest of the 4A...😂

Got to be a better excuse than "the kids wanted 100". You tell those kids to sit and spin and be happy with 98. Those kids would want 200 if you let them, that's why they're kids. Phoebus was probably averaging 30 yards a carry on the ground, you telling me you couldn't hand it off and get a TD?

Find a better excuse for passing up 98 than "the kids wanted 100", I'm begging you. That's so low rent I don't even know where to begin.

Incorrect. The VHSL does not get a dime from any games except the semi-final and championship rounds.

Amazed people don't know this yet. Hence why schools (regions?) set the ticket price for the first three games and the VHSL sets the price at semis/finals.

Jamestown has always been like that. They're a great bunch of kids. For YEARS they've represented their school with class. I'm glad you posted this.
I don’t know if it’s that same now, but Jamestown used to have one of the best, most well organized student sections in all of high school football in VA.

The kids don't get anything from losing 104-0 , but that's the coaches pride for continuing to play it out.

I don’t know if it’s that same now, but Jamestown used to have one of the best, most well organized student sections in all of high school football in VA.
Jamestown has won NUMEROUS VHSL awards for sportsmanship over the years... that's NOT BY ACCIDENT... that's a culture. BB e humble and respectful and the rest of the state will follow you and defend you. There's a HUGE FUGGIN lesson here that's falling on deaf ears because of ignorant and foolish pride....but I digress...

Got to be a better excuse than "the kids wanted 100". You tell those kids to sit and spin and be happy with 98. Those kids would want 200 if you let them, that's why they're kids. Phoebus was probably averaging 30 yards a carry on the ground, you telling me you couldn't hand it off and get a TD?

Find a better excuse for passing up 98 than "the kids wanted 100", I'm begging you. That's so low rent I don't even know where to begin.
I’m not giving you an excuse lol I’m telling you why it happened. We honestly could give af how you feel to be honest. Kids wanted it and it happened. Jamestown coaches and players aren’t even complaining.

Legit watch teams run the score on weaker teams weekly with their starters. We pull ours mid 1st quarter and our 2nd and 3rd team keep scoring and people complaining lol.

Well.... I've read on Facebook a couple different times this season Phoebus fans complaining about teams forfeiting games with them....so Jamestown decided to man up and play the damn game and Phoebus fans are still bitchin about it.... conclusion: NOTHING satisfies a Phantom fan...if Jamestown has forfeited, this thread would have been bashing the Eagles. FACT....so what do you want?
The playoff format is what it is. Until the VHSL makes a MAJOR change to the way they format qualifying...things like this will continue.
I watched the highlights on the news this morning...is anyone questioning why Phoebus was still airing it out while up by 90 points? Just a simple question...plenty of questions and finger pointing to go around.
This participation trophy mentality has gotten out of control. Maybe it's time to go back to strictly districts. Win your district, you're in. Finish 2nd, get ready for basketball season. 9-1? Sucks to be you ...
Let me clear this up since Phoebus fans are “bitchin”…the teams that forfeit during the season were asked prior to the season for several years to mutually agree to drop the game so Phoebus can better their schedule like EVERYONE wants us to do. They decline and say they’ll play us then the week before the game try to forfeit.

Such a weird comment nothing satisfies a Phoebus fan? Wtf are you talking about? Everybody main knock on Phoebus is our schedule and our “bitchin” is our frustration about the schedule. If Jamestown would’ve forfeited we wouldn’t have cared because we would’ve understood.

If I was reffing this game. Flag every time the Phantoms scored. After halftime 😂

I think there's a fine line. As a coach, I'm not throwing for last second tuddies if I'm up 98 but that's just me. I'm not questioning Blunt's integrity at all as this hasn't been the norm for him. If I question him then I gotta question McCain over at Maury along with other coaches throughout the state.

To be fair, J'town probably couldn't win the 8-man state chip with 11 players on the field. My biggest question is how bad is Nottoway cause boyyyyy......
I saw the Nottoway game (first game of season). Jamestown looked pretty good. I don’t know what happened as the season wore on that they simply disintegrated.

• Wow
Reactions: ThevinStealberg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT