ADVERTISEMENT

Saw this on the Hampton Roads High School Football page

BoKnowsSports

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 19, 2021
I know Mike will do the playoff prediction pick ‘em soon. Maybe your answer changes between now and then, but who do you have winning the state championship C1 to C6? Mine:

Class 1- George Wythe
Class 2- Graham
Class 3- Lake Taylor
Class 4- Varina
Class 5- Stone Bridge
Class 6- Highland Springs

Reactions: BleedingNavy
C5 Maury.
@10iceiceice you made some interesting picks and with the exception of Hopewell I would be hard pressed to strongly debate you. I find your Sussex pick to be very sound. They have a lot of talent returning. Can they beat Wythe or Essex? Would like to hear why you think Hopewell will win it all?

Last edited:
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
C3 Phoebus has moved up to c4, so lake Taylor, hopewell and norcom are the 3 teams I think 1 of the 3 will be in the c3 championship from this side of the bracket and i picked hopewell one because I'm a 804 guy two they have good talent coming back, I know lake Taylor also will be very good and norcom always has athletes and talent so we'll see. Hopewell and lake Taylor play in hopewell on 9/8 so we'll find out somethings after that play good luck to all the teams.

And I forgot about Lafayette can't ever sleep on them, sorry Lafayette fans just an oversight.

C3 Phoebus has moved up to c4, so lake Taylor, hopewell and norcom are the 3 teams I think 1 of the 3 will be in the c3 championship from this side of the bracket and i picked hopewell one because I'm a 804 guy two they have good talent coming back, I know lake Taylor also will be very good and norcom always has athletes and talent so we'll see. Hopewell and lake Taylor play in hopewell on 9/8 so we'll find out somethings after that play good luck to all the teams.
I respect your opinion @10iceiceice and appreciate the 804 loyalty. In fact, I would love for the Blue Devils to win it all. I agree Hopewell has some sound talent returning; however, their schedule is not easy. I know most people do not agree, but I still think home field advantage matters. Hopewell could easily be 6-4 or worse this season and they will likely spend the playoffs on the road. I see possible losses to Lake Taylor, Dinwiddie, Thomas Dale, and Matoaca in the regular season. They also have Churchland and Mecklenburg to contend with. Beating Lafayette, Lake Taylor, and the other top teams in Region A on the road is going to be a tall order. If the Blue Devils can get a top four seed in the Region my opinion may change.

I respect your opinion @10iceiceice and appreciate the 804 loyalty. In fact, I would love for the Blue Devils to win it all. I agree Hopewell has some sound talent returning; however, their schedule is not easy. I know most people do not agree, but I still think home field advantage matters. Hopewell could easily be 6-4 or worse this season and they will likely spend the playoffs on the road. I see possible losses to Lake Taylor, Dinwiddie, Thomas Dale, and Matoaca in the regular season. They also have Churchland and Mecklenburg to contend with. Beating Lafayette, Lake Taylor, and the other top teams in Region A on the road is going to be a tall order. If the Blue Devils can get a top four seed in the Region my opinion may change.
No question about it, I agree it willn't be easy.

C4 is gonna be an eye opener for Phoebus fans.
@EPJr, I whole heartedly believe a C4 state title or semi final win is a tougher get; however, I am not sure the move will really be an "eye opener". Phoebus dispatched of several sound teams in the past two years in C3 including multiple C4 state finalist/champion Lake Taylor. I know you were present in Lynchburg for the C4 and C3 finals in 2022 and got a good look at the differences. I totally respect your take; however Phoebus and Dinwiddie looked to be very similar in size, speed, and talent. As a Generals fan I am very familiar with the Phantoms and they are an obvious upgrade from the current teams in Region A. The Phantoms are almost a sure bet to be in the state semi. Defensively, Phoebus will be equitable with Varina and offensively they will be just a tad below Dinwiddie and King George. If Phoebus returns to the state final they will be my favorite to win it all.

Last edited:
C6 Freedom Woodbridge. C5 Stone Bridge. C4 Phoebus. C3 LCA. C2 Poquoson. C1 George W Whytheville.

Last edited:
@EPJr, I whole heartedly believe a C4 state title or semi final win is a tougher get; however, I am not sure the move will really be an "eye opener". Phoebus dispatched of several sound teams in the past two years in C3 including multiple C4 state finalist/champion Lake Taylor. I know you were present in Lynchburg for the C4 and C3 finals in 2022 and got a good look at the differences. I totally respect your take; however Phoebus and Dinwiddie looked to be very similar in size, speed, and talent. As a Generals fan I am very familiar with the Phantoms and they are an obvious upgrade from the current teams in Region A. The Phantoms are almost a sure bet to be in the state semi. Defensively, Phoebus will be equitable with Varina and offensively they will be just a tad below Dinwiddie and King George. If Phoebus returns to the state final they will be my favorite to win it all.
Seeing a lot of reports about Phoebus having some possible QB growing pains. They’ll go with a freshman or sophomore (I’m sure @Phoebus Fan knows) I’m hearing. I believe Dinwiddie/Varina will have just enough on defense to get the win, especially if the game is in the 804.

Seeing a lot of reports about Phoebus having some possible QB growing pains. They’ll go with a freshman or sophomore (I’m sure @Phoebus Fan knows) I’m hearing. I believe Dinwiddie/Varina will have just enough on defense to get the win, especially if the game is in the 804.
I feel the same way. Their defense will for sure keep them in the game. Neither game will be a blow out if it’s Dinwiddie I got 21-17
Varina 21-20

I feel the same way. Their defense will for sure keep them in the game. Neither game will be a blow out if it’s Dinwiddie I got 21-17
Varina 21-20
At the moment I like Phoebus slightly over both. I would give Dinwiddie the better chance because even if Phoebus is a little better overall, Dinwiddie will for sure have the best player on the field. I don't think Varina currently has a "carry the team" type player like Ant Fisher.

At the moment I like Phoebus slightly over both. I would give Dinwiddie the better chance because even if Phoebus is a little better overall, Dinwiddie will for sure have the best player on the field. I don't think Varina currently has a "carry the team" type player like Ant Fisher.
Yes they do! The Varina QB is NEXT LEVEL good,only a Soph,and most say he should’ve started last year. He looked extremely good vs some good defenses in that NC 7v7 they just won. They are loaded on Defense too.

RJ was one of my favorite players to watch. He was a big reason that Varina got out of that slump after 2015.
Indeed! Kid had all of my respect playing most of his senior year with a bad shoulder. He truly carried those Varina teams until Zay Paige and Bobby Dunn put them in contender conversation.

A lot of people have been giving Maury the title on social media. I think King’s Fork and Warwick may have something to say about that, especially KF. What does my 757 people think?

Hey @BoKnowsSports, did you forget about Green Run or are you not buying the hype? @EPJr posted a preseason poll that predicts Green Run to be really good. I know I am not a 757 guy, but I have Maury as the top dog in the region followed closely by, Green Run. Warwick was young and talented last year and could very well be a contender. Delhomme is a beast on both sides of the ball. I am not as sold on Kings Fork. They still have Ford at rb, but their QB (Butler) graduated. The Bulldogs could make a run, but the three teams above them appear to have the edge.

A lot of people have been giving Maury the title on social media. I think King’s Fork and Warwick may have something to say about that, especially KF. What does my 757 people think?
Well in region 5B Maury is the top dawg there by far yes KF and Warrick at good but Maury is far more talented and deep this year(probably top 3 school talent wise in the whole state). Also I'll like to say in 5B let's not count out nasmond river because I see them having a outside chance to win the Southeastern district. Warrick yes there good but we got to see can they even beat Phoebus before we even talk about beating Maury. Now as far as GR it's gonna be the same story playing that weaker schedule where you only play your district which is not the big time team as you would think then your region is your district plus the Chesapeake class schools(which are not the best) are you tested before that state semifinals.

Hey @BoKnowsSports, did you forget about Green Run or are you not buying the hype? @EPJr posted a preseason poll that predicts Green Run to be really good. I know I am not a 757 guy, but I have Maury as the top dog in the region followed closely by, Green Run. Warwick was young and talented last year and could very well be a contender. Delhomme is a beast on both sides of the ball. I am not as sold on Kings Fork. They still have Ford at rb, but their QB (Butler) graduated. The Bulldogs could make a run, but the three teams above them appear to have the edge.
I'll say Maury by far in the 757 super region. Like the coaching is there. And as far as players I mean the defense alone will keep anyone in a game when you have multiple all state guys at each level. Scoring on them will be tough. And the offense with be definitely prime time with the receivers and backs they have.

Just for clarity on how good Varina’s skill kids are. Maury went 0-6 and Highland Springs went 3-3 against the same teams Varina beat this weekend in Charlotte. Dinwiddie and Salem have the best players (Dalton & Lewis) but Varina is deep.

Reactions: HooSprings
Just for clarity on how good Varina’s skill kids are. Maury went 0-6 and Highland Springs went 3-3 against the same teams Varina beat this weekend in Charlotte. Dinwiddie and Salem have the best players (Dalton & Lewis) but Varina is deep.
HSHS came back today & finished 4th. They lost to Weddington. Not sure how Maury did today but I read they came back strong today. Springers looked a lot smoother and explosive with Henley there today.

Last edited:
HSHS came back today & finished 4th. They lost to Weddington. Not sure how Maury did today but I read they came back strong today. Springers looked a lot smoother and explosive with Henley there today.
Yeah last time I seen maury was 2-0 to begin the day.

Providence DS defeated Butler 26-6 in the final. They also beat Highland Springs and Maury this past weekend. I did some quick research and it appears the Springers and Commodores played quite well. Time to start banging pads.

Providence DS defeated Butler 26-6 in the final. They also beat Highland Springs and Maury this past weekend. I did some quick research and it appears the Springers and Commodores played quite well. Time to start banging pads.
MaxPreps has PDS one spot behind HSHS in their national rankings. Heard it was similar to HSHS’s loss a couple weeks ago in Maryland. Henley is gonna be a tough cover!

Maury was disqualified along with Chambers for fighting. Priv or whatever his name is put up the video with the two teams wolfing before the game. Heard it got ugly and a Chambers kid had to get stitches. I personally would be very happy to see Maury go 0-10 this year.

Maury was disqualified along with Chambers for fighting. Priv or whatever his name is put up the video with the two teams wolfing before the game. Heard it got ugly and a Chambers kid had to get stitches. I personally would be very happy to see Maury go 0-10 this year.
Well personally that aint happening. But I really like how some of you guys come behind here talking about him and the school but be in the fb pages and everything like go there and voice your opinion. And no I'm not condoning the fight or whatever happened. But a lot of you guys get up here talking about maury like the kids and coaches are bad people but look what they doing over there kids graduating going to school and definitely one hell of a team.

MaxPreps has PDS one spot behind HSHS in their national rankings. Heard it was similar to HSHS’s loss a couple weeks ago in Maryland. Henley is gonna be a tough cover

I just was with one of the Varina coaches earlier today and they said they didn't play any of those charlotte area high school teams in 7 on 7 this year. Maybe Varina played some other teams from NC but they did not play Providence Day, JC Chambers, or Butler. However, I will agree Varina does have some really good skill players this year on varsity and jv.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT