ADVERTISEMENT

Saw this on the Hampton Roads High School Football page

Y’all are overrating Va Tech’s recruiting class. They’re recruiting at a mid level ACC team pace.

I mean, they very clearly aren't, the numbers don't lie. Their average player ranking is #19 in the country and #4 in the ACC behind only Clemson, FSU, and Miami. The only reason the class won't end up that high is because overall # of recruits affects the team ranking and VT has to take a smaller class this year.

If anything, VT's class is *underrated* considering previous classes under Fuente and recent on-field results. UVA is essentially coming off the same few recent years, go and compare what they're doing, especially in the state of Virginia, to what VT is doing.

VT also just took in a high quality portal class, too, that was #3 in the ACC by average.

I mean, they very clearly aren't, the numbers don't lie. Their average player ranking is #19 in the country and #4 in the ACC behind only Clemson, FSU, and Miami. The only reason the class won't end up that high is because overall # of recruits affects the team ranking and VT has to take a smaller class this year.

If anything, VT's class is *underrated* considering previous classes under Fuente and recent on-field results. UVA is essentially coming off the same few recent years, go and compare what they're doing, especially in the state of Virginia, to what VT is doing.

VT also just took in a high quality portal class, too, that was #3 in the ACC by average.
Where in the world do you see Va Tech having a recruiting class where the average player ranking is #19 in country?? They legit have one commit that’s ranked in the top 20 of their position nationally and that’s Gabriel Williams.

UVa recruiting been trash too btw.

Where in the world do you see Va Tech having a recruiting class where the average player ranking is #19 in country?? They legit have one commit that’s ranked in the top 20 of their position nationally and that’s Gabriel Williams.

UVa recruiting been trash too btw.

I miscounted the composite average, they're more like 25-26 because I missed a few teams with super low commit totals hanging out below them in the average but they're still #4 in the ACC by average ranking, that's decidedly not mid-level ACC.

I miscounted the composite average, they're more like 25-26 because I missed a few teams with super low commit totals hanging out below them in the average but they're still #4 in the ACC by average ranking, that's decidedly not mid-level ACC.
You got bad info is all I can say. Current 247 ACC Recruiting rankings are:
1. Clemson
2. FSU
3. Miami
4. UNC
5. Ga Tech
6. Duke
7. Pitt
8. Va Tech

And since this is a Rivals website. I’ll use Rivals and Va Tech is still 8th in ACC in recruiting. Like i said mid level ACC recruiting. No offense to the kids but Va Tech isn’t pulling in the talent you think they are.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
You got bad info is all I can say. Current 247 ACC Recruiting rankings are:
1. Clemson
2. FSU
3. Miami
4. UNC
5. Ga Tech
6. Duke
7. Pitt
8. Va Tech

And since this is a Rivals website. I’ll use Rivals and Va Tech is still 8th in ACC in recruiting. Like i said mid level ACC recruiting. No offense to the kids but Va Tech isn’t pulling in the talent you think they are.

My congrats to you on me saying "average recruiting ranking" about a half-dozen times and the point flying completely over your heads. Go to the ACC rankings, click the tab that says "Avg" (that stands for average FWIW) and then see where VT lands.

The formula for team rankings is weighted by # of commits. You are literally punished for having fewer than 25 commits (any more and the formula drops the worst ranked kid when calculating). VT has only 16 commits right now, that is holding them back in the team rankings but the quality of kid they're landing is quite high. Stanford (28 commits), Nebraska (24), UNC (24), Purdue (21), GT (23), Iowa (20), Minnesota (23), Rutgers (22), Duke (20), Pitt (20) are only ahead of VT for that reason, their overall quality of recruit is lower (often noticeably so) than VT. No need to mention any individual site, 247 has a composite ranking which averages every site. I don't really care where on3 or Rivals or 247 or ESPN individually has the class ranked, I care about the overall quality of recruit.

I'll give you a shiny nickel if you can tell me, without looking, the last time VT landed the top player in the 757 (that's Adams this year FWIW). It's just dumb to pretend a team going 3-8 and churning out this kind of a class isn't killing it on the trail. The damage done in-state, especially by Fuente, is being repaired in a major way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomasddev
My congrats to you on me saying "average recruiting ranking" about a half-dozen times and the point flying completely over your heads. Go to the ACC rankings, click the tab that says "Avg" (that stands for average FWIW) and then see where VT lands.

The formula for team rankings is weighted by # of commits. You are literally punished for having fewer than 25 commits (any more and the formula drops the worst ranked kid when calculating). VT has only 16 commits right now, that is holding them back in the team rankings but the quality of kid they're landing is quite high. Stanford (28 commits), Nebraska (24), UNC (24), Purdue (21), GT (23), Iowa (20), Minnesota (23), Rutgers (22), Duke (20), Pitt (20) are only ahead of VT for that reason, their overall quality of recruit is lower (often noticeably so) than VT. No need to mention any individual site, 247 has a composite ranking which averages every site. I don't really care where on3 or Rivals or 247 or ESPN individually has the class ranked, I care about the overall quality of recruit.

I'll give you a shiny nickel if you can tell me, without looking, the last time VT landed the top player in the 757 (that's Adams this year FWIW). It's just dumb to pretend a team going 3-8 and churning out this kind of a class isn't killing it on the trail. The damage done in-state, especially by Fuente, is being repaired in a major way.
Ok your point on class average is correct. But stop this narrative that Va Tech is killing it on the trail because they got Adams lol. That’s one player and the kid is good but he’s no program changer in my opinion. And we can agree to disagree on this but the best player in the 757 is Fred Johnson 6’3 LB at Maury. His rankings will shoot up soon. Y’all honestly got two 757 kids that would be at UNC if Dre Bly was still there.

Would be nice to have Va Tech “killing it on the trail” because maybe they could snag one of these top LBs in the state. They legit have two kids top 5-10 at their position 30 mins away at Salem that they have no shot at. The running back didn’t even have their hat on the table when he picked Tennessee. But yeah keep killing it on the trail Va Tech. Just my opinion but Va Tech has hired the wrong guy since Beamer left. Might be time to call his son and bring Beamer Ball back. Shane and Torrian Gray could get the Va elite kids atleast interested.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Ok your point on class average is correct. But stop this narrative that Va Tech is killing it on the trail because they got Adams lol. That’s one player and the kid is good but he’s no program changer in my opinion. And we can agree to disagree on this but the best player in the 757 is Fred Johnson 6’3 LB at Maury. His rankings will shoot up soon. Y’all honestly got two 757 kids that would be at UNC if Dre Bly was still there.

Would be nice to have Va Tech “killing it on the trail” because maybe they could snag one of these top LBs in the state. They legit have two kids top 5-10 at their position 30 mins away at Salem that they have no shot at. The running back didn’t even have their hat on the table when he picked Tennessee. But yeah keep killing it on the trail Va Tech. Just my opinion but Va Tech has hired the wrong guy since Beamer left. Might be time to call his son and bring Beamer Ball back. Shane and Torrian Gray could get the Va elite kids atleast interested.
Shane doesn’t want to come back! He was offered a position But chose to stay at South Carolina! It’s much easier to recruit in the SEC. Plus why would anyone want to go to the mountains of Virginia rather than Coach down south?!

Talk about Dre Bly like the man can actually coach. 757 kids getting hoodwinked to wear sissy powder blue, play for an old white guy who barely knows where he is and don't get coached up for squat.

Tony Grimes? Top 50 player, here I am looking for all his all-conference and all-American mentions. What? There is none? And he transferred out? Hmmmm

Cam Kelly spent 4 years there, all he got was a 3rd-team mention once.

Where's Trevion Stevenson nowadays because I know he isn't at Chapel Hill.

Where's all of Dre Bly's All-Americans? Forget that, where's all his first-team all-ACC players? Only 757 kid that ever managed to do anything down there under Mack was Dazz. Rest of them go, find out they got lied to, and transfer out.

Like I said you’ve clearly not been to 7v7 events. That is beyond normal for teams to celebrate like that. Legit making something out of nothing. Now the fight i have no comment on because i don’t know about it.
I respect you and I get that it’s the culture today. I’m not one to believe that emotion/passion should be taken out the game. My whole point was a coach has no business doing the stuff that he does. It’s a bad look and hopefully someone in his corner loves him enough to mentor him. May not matter now but if he wants other opportunities, it’ll hurt.

Reactions: Senex
Shane doesn’t want to come back! He was offered a position But chose to stay at South Carolina! It’s much easier to recruit in the SEC. Plus why would anyone want to go to the mountains of Virginia rather than Coach down south?!
To carry on his pops legacy and Va Tech is home for him. It’s also easier to win in the ACC (for however long it still exists) than it is in the SEC. What position was he offered by the way?

I respect you and I get that it’s the culture today. I’m not one to believe that emotion/passion should be taken out the game. My whole point was a coach has no business doing the stuff that he does. It’s a bad look and hopefully someone in his corner loves him enough to mentor him. May not matter now but if he wants other opportunities, it’ll hurt.
I agree that the coaches being on a public forum talking the way he does shouldn’t be happening.

Talk about Dre Bly like the man can actually coach. 757 kids getting hoodwinked to wear sissy powder blue, play for an old white guy who barely knows where he is and don't get coached up for squat.

Tony Grimes? Top 50 player, here I am looking for all his all-conference and all-American mentions. What? There is none? And he transferred out? Hmmmm

Cam Kelly spent 4 years there, all he got was a 3rd-team mention once.

Where's Trevion Stevenson nowadays because I know he isn't at Chapel Hill.

Where's all of Dre Bly's All-Americans? Forget that, where's all his first-team all-ACC players? Only 757 kid that ever managed to do anything down there under Mack was Dazz. Rest of them go, find out they got lied to, and transfer out.
The topic is recruiting not coaching and Dre Bly is responsible for people like Drake Maye, Sam Howell, Josh Downs, etc but you mention Trevion Stevenson who simply wasn’t good enough to even be at UNC…and he’s a Phoebus kid and I’m saying this. He just had measurables…Grimes is a top 60 draft prospect for 2024 draft and Kelly left Auburn after being an early enrollee there so that’s a bad example.

And the Mack Brown disrespect is crazy when he’s 2nd best coach in conference after Dabo. UNC is in way better shape as a program with the “old white guy who barely knows where he is”…

To carry on his pops legacy and Va Tech is home for him. It’s also easier to win in the ACC (for however long it still exists) than it is in the SEC. What position was he offered by the way?
He was offered the head-coaching position and declined it!

He was offered the head-coaching position and declined it!

Shane never got offered head whistle and Whit would have never made that move. He's going to always be mentioned if the VT job comes open but as long as Whit is AD that will never happen for one easy reason.

The topic is recruiting not coaching and Dre Bly is responsible for people like Drake Maye, Sam Howell, Josh Downs, etc but you mention Trevion Stevenson who simply wasn’t good enough to even be at UNC…and he’s a Phoebus kid and I’m saying this. He just had measurables…Grimes is a top 60 draft prospect for 2024 draft and Kelly left Auburn after being an early enrollee there so that’s a bad example.

And the Mack Brown disrespect is crazy when he’s 2nd best coach in conference after Dabo. UNC is in way better shape as a program with the “old white guy who barely knows where he is”…

Mack being "2nd best" in the ACC just shows how sad the conference is, he's ancient and out of date. He's only just now posting a 9 win season (in a 14 game season) after four years on the job. Dre Bly's ability to hoodwink 757 kids is unquestioned, too bad they go to UNC and do absolutely nothing of note. Wake me up when Dre Bly's VA recruits do something of value.

Btw you can disagree on Adams all you want, I'm looking everywhere for Fred Johnson's offers to Bama, Auburn, OSU, aTm, PSU, Michigan, Clemson, FSU, and more. Seems like half the SEC, ACC, and B10 disagree with you on the top recruit in the 757.

Last edited:

Carolina vs VT is a crazy argument. Carolina gets NC’s best players and has taken a few of VA’s top players, VT has gotten leftovers though they’ve had some good signings in the past year. VT is a shell of what it used to be. They’ll be lucky if they can win 6 games this year. Mack may be old but Drake Maye is must watch tv and Tech is left with Grant Wells. Nuff said.

Anything other than HC was a joke and the reason why he isn’t going to return right now. He definitely would have the support of the fans, alumni, and vt big hats and he has proven he can win albeit it’s middle of the road SEC winning but it’s a steamroller he could build in the ACC.

Carolina vs VT is a crazy argument. Carolina gets NC’s best players and has taken a few of VA’s top players, VT has gotten leftovers though they’ve had some good signings in the past year. VT is a shell of what it used to be. They’ll be lucky if they can win 6 games this year. Mack may be old but Drake Maye is must watch tv and Tech is left with Grant Wells. Nuff said.

Neither of those teams amount to much but some entertaining football , the pride of the conference is Clemson (best coach in dabo) , FSU (rebuilding/rebranding) best talent outside of Clemson, Miami and UNC everybody wants to see do well and fall asleep at the wheel year after year when it matters but recruit well (both coaches are upper tier in ACC but not top 3), Wake who has the second best coach clawson and wins with less consistently year after year, Pitt with narduzzi (3rd best coach) who just play tough week in and week out and the remainder (outside of NCstate) Duke , Vt, UVA, Syracuse , BC, GT are rebuilding ground up projects and have varied success.

Recruiting has been a free for all in VA bc the top talent was being courted by national powerhouses and marquee programs while the instate schools were putting out poor performances and not sending local talent to the league like they once were. The top kids if they stayed home would make the two (or one at least ) instate p5 programs ascend to the top of their respective division and compete yearly for a cfp spot and acc title. The instate schools dropped the ball and now they’re playing catch up from one inept staff to another. Without on field results none of these programs instate will get those game/program changers NIL also has apart in this too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT