ADVERTISEMENT

VirginiaPreps.com's Preseason Top Ten Rankings

G-dog, your game with Lee is a great pick up for both. Should be a really good test for both teams. Lee has had trouble filling out its schedule for a while now. I am glad to see Riverheads finally accept a game against them. Guess they have dodged them long enough. We are the only team in the area who would schedule them, and until 2 years ago we had never beaten them. Even though you guys have our number, I always pull for Goochland. I guess our first trip up there and the welcome you gave us, outside of the butt whipin on the field lol left an impression. Best of luck to you on your season. I am sure you will be playing late in the year even without a kid named Jefferson. Man was he fun to watch, even if he was killing us lol.

Offensively...WM loses the following. I would like to hear about their replacements and their skill sets from the Wilson faithful.

Cullen replaced by ?
McCauley replaced by ?
Swift ?
Chapman?
Koogler?
Leary?
Clayton?
Hensell?
Gochenour?

Defensively...

Clayton replaced by ?
Carr?
Wright?
Gochenour?
Chapman?

WilsonMemorial, the respect is mutual. When we have traveled to Fishersville, the crowd was awesome! Not just because of the way the crowd cheered for the home team, but the way we were treated. You guys do it the right way on and off the field. Best of luck to you guys as well! Maybe we will meet again in the playoffs!

We have McCauleys younger brother as well as Jesse Trent who ran for well over 100 yards against Richlands.
See the good thing about having a year like we just did is our 2nd string gained an awful lot of experience.

But I'll just let you wonder about the rest :)

Don't remember reading or hearing too much about McCauley's younger brother this past season. Any stats?

As far Trent's 100 yd performance: how many carries did he get? And....big deal. The offense only scored 13 points that game and needed overtime to do that. Trent might be a good solid back....but he isn't a McCauley. Downgrade in my opinion.

Anyway...you have only penciled in two prospective starters out of nine on offense and zero on the defense. I interpret your response as you have no clue as to who fills the void. For someone who is WM's biggest fan, I am surprised that was your answer.

Secondly, if your second team got tons of playing time and you being the WM fan that you are, you "should" be able to give more than just two names when it comes to the up and coming dominating Hornets.

Offensively...WM loses the following. I would like to hear about their replacements and their skill sets from the Wilson faithful.

Cullen replaced by ?
McCauley replaced by ?
Swift ?
Chapman?
Koogler?
Leary?
Clayton?
Hensell?
Gochenour?

Defensively...

Clayton replaced by ?
Carr?
Wright?
Gochenour?
Chapman?

Who is your team? You do know a lot about the names of Wilson players but you don't have some kids on the right side of the ball. Want to add up the total number of games those players missed last year? The answer might surprise you.
Three of those names are going to be very difficult to replace. I will let you wonder on those three. One position in particular is a concern. The defense will be just fine, including the secondary. We were very strong on defense last year and this year should be similar. Notice not many names on that side of the ball and you have a couple wrong.

Oh I can give you the names, but as someone who seems to troll on our team so much I figured you already knew. I guess you will just have to wait and see

Trents breakout playoff game was actually against Brunswick not Richlands as well.

Juh-Kwquan was an amazing talent at running back no doubt. Really hurt us him being injured in the playoffs, but our backfield will be just fine this year.

Wilson Football....who did I list that is wrong? Let me wonder??? I think you are in the same boat. YOU have no clue either. ALL of those young men I listed contributed on the side of the ball in which I had them mentioned. You are right. I forgot ANOTHER senior and starter in Curry on defense. And yes....please add up the time missed by the key players I mentioned. I like surprises.

Put your money where your mouth is since you are such a BIG TIME WM fan and enlighten us on the future of Hornet football. Who will be filling the shoes of one of the best classes in WM in recent memory?

Trevor....you too can step up to the challenge and tell us all who will be representing the mighty Hornets on Friday nights. But based on your two earlier responses I can tell you just don't know.

You both seem to be targeting replacements (albeit just two) in the backfield. What about just about the entire OL?
How about who replaces Cullen at QB?
Or...three out of four of the secondary?
Two out three of your LB corp?

I could tell you, but I rather enjoy seeing you scrape for details.

I do believe Wilson will be forced to have a few more 2 way players then recently due to the depth they lost. While I believe there will obviously be a drop off (more experience wise than talent wise) I don't believe it will be to the level others outside of Fishersville seem to believe.

Only time will tell.

As I have stated already I believe Luray and RHS are the favorites right now in our district, but don't sleep on my Hornets.

It's also very possible RHS starts the year 1-3. How would they handle that adversity? It's also very possible they start 4-0.

East Rock has the talent but based on the past four years it seems if you hit them hard enough they don't play as well.

It should be a good year in the Shenandoah

I don't have to scrape for names and/or details. I am rather confident in my stance that the talent now graduated from the WM program will be extremely difficult to replicate.

Let's do this; How about you list the "projected" backfield for the mighty Hornets.

I'd bet on Kane Hinton, Jesse Trent, and Tad Bosserman.

Seeing as Tad filled in for Chapman after his injury, Jesse would have been a starting RB on most any other squad around here last year, and Kane saw considerable minutes throughout the year

There is the biggest question mark on our team.

Clearly we didn't have another 6'5" athletic kid waiting behind him. But tell me in our offense what all the QB has to do?

They don't pass hardly at all(not as much as I wish we did.) the job is the toss the ball and block.

We had a few good options waiting behind Mack and I have faith in them to step in and do the job.

There's also the chance that a freshman steps up and takes the job. Only time will tell

So what's your point?

Are you saying that anyone can line up at QB for the Hornets and make the "machine" run? If so......WOW!

And you really believe that a freshman will be behind center this year for the mighty Hornets? Was this kid on the JV team last year?

Last edited:
I actually don't believe that. I was just saying it wouldn't be the first time a player went from seniors or jv to starting varsity QB.

IE: Jake Bailey. 4 year starter when Mac was still the coach. Came from seniors to varsity and was a very successful QB for us

My point is I don't believe the QB is the key cog to our offense. Hand the ball off and block.

What is your point sir?

Then what is the key to "your" offense?

RBs? OL?

My point is I believe your heart tells you one thing but your mind is telling you another when it comes to "your" Hornets. Right now your heart is winning. I think you can interpret that old cliche when it comes to what we are talking about.

Last edited:
I never once stated we were state contenders this year if you assume I believe that. We will certainly have a say in the district though. Do I agree with the pre season ranking of having us 3rd? Not at all. But it's exactly what it is, a preseason ranking. It means nothing

The OL is key just like most any other offense.

Wilson Football....who did I list that is wrong? Let me wonder??? I think you are in the same boat. YOU have no clue either. ALL of those young men I listed contributed on the side of the ball in which I had them mentioned. You are right. I forgot ANOTHER senior and starter in Curry on defense. And yes....please add up the time missed by the key players I mentioned. I like surprises.

Put your money where your mouth is since you are such a BIG TIME WM fan and enlighten us on the future of Hornet football. Who will be filling the shoes of one of the best classes in WM in recent memory?

Trevor....you too can step up to the challenge and tell us all who will be representing the mighty Hornets on Friday nights. But based on your two earlier responses I can tell you just don't know.

You both seem to be targeting replacements (albeit just two) in the backfield. What about just about the entire OL?
How about who replaces Cullen at QB?
Or...three out of four of the secondary?
Two out three of your LB corp?

Who are you, Hilary Clinton? You don't get to ask questions, and not give answers on the question of what school you pull for. I am not part of the coaching staff, so I do not know exactly who will be where.

Missing Curry was a good one, it tells me you know a lot about this team and follow it closely. Entire OL? Big miss.
Now, who played for Chapman, Wright, Hensel, Koog, Clayton, McCauley, Goch, Tihart and Wright while battling injuries? Who played for Boysen a starting corner lost for the playoffs?
Answer those and I will be impressed with your knowledge of our program.

Even if I knew exactly who will be playing, why would I list names on a public forum? That would not be very smart. Your prayers may come true and Wilson will not be very good.
Maybe, they will not be as bad as you hope? Only the season will tell.

Now BIG TIME UKNOWN FAN......who do you pull for?

I know you do Trevor!!! You hit in my opinion our biggest question mark as well ;)
We did get that new kid from New York that is 6'6 and throws the ball 80 yards in the air though:p

Good answer. You sir are what is called a troll. Your knowledge of this team means you are from Augusta County. Outside of the obvious choice Riverheads, my hunch is Draft and you used to have ties to the team. Not like you will answer either Hilary.

I guessed RHS last year and they strongly disputed that.

It's Draft or ERHS. Those are my two guesses. Could be either one with the type of posts but judging by the knowledge of the Bowers deal if you go into their past posts, I would say Draft. One of the typical ones too, not a knowledgeable one like GUNZ

I have been in this area and followed its football longer than either of you have been alive.

Simple equation. Go to games, buy a program, read papers, watch highlights, etc.

My extreme dislike for WM in the past 5+ years is directly related to its fans and how it has handled its short term success. Not too long ago WM was the doormat of this area. Finally, the team strings together several successful seasons and the next thing you know WM is the epicenter of high school football. Sadly, the fan base didn't and still doesn't know how to handle the success it has had in recent memory. Too put it lightly, you and yours are not a humble bunch.

I am eager to see how the Hornet faithful handles the purge of such a talented class. I am also anticipating the reactions on this board by two of its biggest fans.

As someone else said recently, only time will tell.

Last edited:
You clearly do not know some of us that well then sir. I am very humble. I actually wrote a very long write up on here at the end of last year about how for years we were the team you scheduled for homecoming.

I have not forgotten where we came from. Have some of our fans? Of course. But that's the same at every school.

You seem like the type who doesn't like us because we don't walk to the sidelines hand in hand, we switch jerseys yearly, and our players celebrate a little. We aren't "old school"

I have been on this board since I was in high school. We weren't that good then so trust me I can handle whatever comes our way just fine. Until the last probably two years I was the ONLY Wilson person on here. You're username though just popped up late last year. So where have you been and what is your reason for being here? Just to troll our school? Or do you actually have meaningful posts?

If Wilson Memorial's football program wants to compare itself to Riverheads — and the Hornets are off to a good start if that’s the goal — then next season is crucial.(Photo: Mike Tripp/The News Leader)

1 CONNECT 1 TWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE
There will be a lot of attention paid to the Wilson Memorial football team this year, and understandably so.

Of the 22 positions, 17 will be filled by returning starters. Wilson has 22 seniors with standout players on both sides of the ball.

One gets the feeling that if Wilson doesn't win the Group 2A state championship this season it will be viewed as a failure.

I admit it. I'm sucked in by this story line also. Can Wilson get past the state semifinals — a place it's been twice in the past three seasons — and become the third Augusta County school to win a football state title?

But this isn't the Wilson Memorial football season I'm most interested in seeing. That would be next year.

There's been a lot of talk among Wilson fans comparing their football team to Riverheads. Three straight wins over the Gladiators will get some talk started.

However, I'm not comparing the two programs just yet. Get back to me after next year.

Let me throw a few statistics at you: 139-32 since 2000. One losing season in that span. One season without a playoff berth in that span. Seven seasons with double-digit wins. Three state championships (2000, 2006, 2010).

Those are Riverheads numbers, built over the last 14-year span under head coach Robert Casto. And to take it a step further, Casto, who enters his 19th season, has had just one losing season since going 0-10 and 3-7 in his first two years.

If Wilson wants to compare itself to Riverheads — and the Hornets are off to a good start if that's the goal — then next season is crucial. See, Riverheads doesn't just win when an extraordinary class comes through the school. Riverheads wins every year.

Riverheads is the face of high school football in this area. Why do you think Wilson has been so giddy over beating them in recent years?

Let me throw some more statistics at you: 18-33. One playoff game. Four losing seasons.

Those are Buffalo Gap's numbers starting with the 2009 season and after back-to-back years in which the Bison finished 25-1 with a state championship. In those two seasons — the state title year of 2007 and the following season — Buffalo Gap beat Riverheads twice.

I'm sure Bison fans were talking smack about the Gladiators also. Some of them probably thought Riverheads' reign of terror was over and Buffalo Gap would be the new king of Augusta County football.

Then in walked reality.

A bulk of the players who helped the Bison post those 25 wins graduated and the talent pipeline went dry, as is so often the case with county schools in regard to football. Gap has had one winning season and one playoff game — a 20-7 loss to Riverheads in 2009 — since then. Last year, Gap finished with two wins.

Now, this isn't a prediction of Wilson's football fate, only a warning. I hope the Hornets continue to produce quality football teams once this group of 22 seniors graduates.

The Riverheads-Wilson games have been a pleasure to watch and the best rivalry in local sports since Robert E. Lee and Waynesboro were competing against one another for state basketball championships.

So, will Wilson be the next Riverheads or the next Buffalo Gap? We'll get our first clue next season.

This was the very first article written in the local paper last year. I saved it because it is all this team has heard about. Those are a sports writers words, not ours. Based on the knowledge of this team, either you are the author or I stand by my previous post.

Before I leave this conversation and revisit it at a later time, let me recant an all encompassing remark above in which I insinuated "all" WM fans have not handled the success the program very well.

I should have said some have not. I fell into the trap of "one bad apple spoils the whole bunch".

Last edited:
It's much appreciated! We aren't like those fools in Greenville!

Just kidding RHS guys lol I like most of you on here

Pre-season rankings have no bearing on who ends up in Salem come December. no points are awarded for polls.

Check back with me after 3rd game of season and I might have a report. Too many unknowns right now. I think the key will be development of a passing game. One thing I see as a positive, is most of our opponents are not as good as they were last season.

I know you love the passing game! Being able to balance the offense is critical in my opinion. Good luck to your Hawk's!

I don't have to scrape for names and/or details. I am rather confident in my stance that the talent now graduated from the WM program will be extremely difficult to replicate.

Let's do this; How about you list the "projected" backfield for the mighty Hornets.
I will Play this game....Wing backs will be Jesse Trent (If he commits to working hard) and Keaton Boyson. The fullback will be Tad Bosserman. Quarterback will be Billy Coombe, unless an underclassman steps up and earns this spot, Billy has waited patiently for his turn and it's his spot to lose, in my opinion!

Last edited:
I will say this, Don't sell the Hornets short! This is a talented group with a Big chip on their shoulders to prove themselves without having last years group in the way. Only time will tell if they will earn the number 3 ranking. I would say Glenvar, Richlands and Brunswick are my top picks at bringing home the title. While I may choose those three, I will be cheering on our Hornets as they keep the standards high at Wilson Memorial!

Comical. I am a Gate City and John Battle fan and can not stand Richland's, but sometimes absurdity simply has to be called out. Richlands returns most of the entire team and this is a team that was a nailbiter from playing Glenvar as they lost to Wilson Memorial in a toss up. They should be the number two team in your rankings and I find it even comical that my team, Gate City, ranks ahead of them. When you come out with a poll like this, at least do some research.

Here's a consensus of various pre-season rankings: None of these have Richlands up as high as #2. Consensus

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT