ADVERTISEMENT

Wild stat - the Commonwealth District was 29-5 versus the Cardinal this year.

OldIndian81

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 6, 2001
This was the first year of the Cardinal and Commonwealth playing against each other instead of playing full district slates which was done to increase respective 6A and 5A power points possibilities while reducing travel. To an old timer like me, it is a shocking stat that the Commonwealth was 29-5 versus the Cardinal. The Commonwealth has some fine head coaches and their programs have stepped it up (alas, with the exception of my alma mater - hapless Stafford) but was this just a year when virtually all of the Commonwealth was up and most of the Cardinal was down? Even Hylton and Battlefield had losing records against the Commonwealth while Stafford won two games against the Cardinal (while being completely non-competitive against the Commonwealth). Has Cardinal football dropped across the board or was this just a blip?

Every team in Prince William County is a cardinal teAm except Brentsville and Manassas Park. So basically battlefield stonewall Jackson Garfield hylton forest park Woodbridge Potomac freedom patriot osbourn park osbourn

Top to bottom, I would say that the Commonwealth has been better than the Cardinal for 4-5 years, minimum

Reactions: OCBoy
Commonwealth has consistently looked good in regular season for years now and then collapses come playoff time. I was stunned Forge lost to Riverbend, but the team that looks really nasty to me is 'Ponax.

6A South-west bracket was pretty much a "really?" when I saw it. Same as last year.

Commonwealth has consistently looked good in regular season for years now and then collapses come playoff time. I was stunned Forge lost to Riverbend, but the team that looks really nasty to me is 'Ponax.

6A South-west bracket was pretty much a "really?" when I saw it. Same as last year.
It's because it's watered down. I don't even think Riverbend would have made the playoffs in the old system

I was only a little surprised that Riverbend upset CF - RB has been getting better and had only lost to CF by 3 a few weeks ago. This had all the makings of a trap game. The "south-west" hasn't seemed to be clash of the titans the last two years for sure.

I don't see where the Commonwealth has "collapsed" during the playoffs - true, they haven't won a state title but on the other hand, the district was 3-1 (all CF) in the '13 6A playoffs (only lost to O. Smith) and it was 6-3 in the 5A playoffs (with MX losing to NS and then NS losing by only 2 to Briar Woods). It wasn't as good in '14 - 2-2 in 6A (#7 RB losing by 3 to #2 T Dale in 1st round and CF winning 2 before losing to O. Smith again by 11). They were 4-4 in 5A, with MX winning 3 before losing to Tuscorara and a #11 seed NS losing to #2 in 2nd round. Brooke Pt lost to MX in the 1st round and MV lost badly to Briar Woods. So far this year, 4-2 in the 1st round (MX, NS and BP winning as expected and MV losing again). Not awe-inspiring but not a collapse either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT