ADVERTISEMENT

Would a coach ever concede a game to gain a favorable matchup?

Nov 5, 2014
I do not want to use the term 'throw', but would a high school coach ever play second string players in the last game of the season, in order to gain a more favorable playoff matchup? For instance, if a coach knew he did not have any DBs who could match up with an opponent's receivers, would it be better to drop a notch or two in the power point rankings to face a run oriented team? Or does the prospect of home field advantage in the upcoming rounds outweigh all factors?

Many people are not going to like this but to me that is part of the game and coaching. Your job is to make sure you get the best possible match up. If your team didn't do what it needed to but you as the coach have the chance to I have no issue with it. I do believe that the administration would question your ethics and ask why are the starters out. If they found out the reason they more then likely forfeit the play-off game because you are in violation of the spirit of the sportsmanship rule.

Situations that could arise like that can be managed with more creativity than just holding starters out and without noticeably conceding a game. More often than not, I've seen it backfire on the team trying to gain a specific matchup. Best course is to follow the words of Coach Herman Edwards, "you play to win the game!!"

Geez, this is high school football, not the NFL

As far as I'm concerned, if a coach threw a game in high school for playoff seeding, he should lose his job.

Originally posted by NoVaSpectator:
I do not want to use the term 'throw', but would a high school coach ever play second string players in the last game of the season, in order to gain a more favorable playoff matchup? For instance, if a coach knew he did not have any DBs who could match up with an opponent's receivers, would it be better to drop a notch or two in the power point rankings to face a run oriented team? Or does the prospect of home field advantage in the upcoming rounds outweigh all factors?
I don't see what purpose it would serve. I don't know, maybe it would help if your goal is to win a round or two in the playoffs. If you're trying to win the thing, though, everybody you play is going to be good. I don't see how throwing a game would help you in the long run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT