ADVERTISEMENT

WT Woodson 20 - South County 10

falcettik

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 3, 2004
In an ugly, mistake filled, penalty filled game WT Woodson's defense was just good enough to snuff out several South County drives and that allowed the Cavaliers to come away with a 20-10 victory. The two teams combined for one fumble lost, two missed FGs, a blocked FG, a blocked XP attempt, and 5 interceptions, two of which went for scores. I did not count the flags but there were far too many-I would estimate somewhere in the vicinity of 25-30, maybe more. In fact, WTW had one series where they had, in succession on the same series a 1st and 10, 1st and 4, 1st and 7, then 1st and 12 from receiving three penalties in a row (never seen that before).

WTW took the opening KO and quickly moved all the way down to the SC 15 before stalling. A 32 yard FG attempt by WTW's Allison then missed wide left. SC, starting on their own 20 yard line, moved 20 yards upfield before punting but WTW muffed the catch and SC's Rocke recovered the ball on the WTW 37 yard line. SC couldn't move the ball, losing yardage, and ended up punting back to WTW on the WTW 10 yard line. On this drive WTW's Fisher tried to lob a pass over the SC defensive line and the ball was popped up, where it was grabbed by SC's Dumbuya and returned two yards for a pick 6 for the game's first score, 7-0 (Castillo XP) with 5:36 to play in the first quarter. WTW went three and out on their next possession, giving SC the ball on the SC 37 yard line. SC soon faced the first of many 4th down attempts, facing 4th and 3 at the SC 30 yard line, but elected instead to attempt a 47 yard FG by Castillo that was just long enough but wide right. WTW started the following possession on their 20 yard line and again ran three plays and punted, giving SC good field position at the WTW 49 yard line. After a run for a loss, an incomplete pass, another run for a loss (and a targeting penalty on WTW), SC had a first down at the WTW 41 yard line but then ran three plays and faced a punt. Lining up to punt, SC had a delay of game penalty, then a chop block penalty and SC was now backed up to their own 40 yard line. The punt was short and WTW started their possession at their own 43 yard line. WTW reached the SC 16 yard line but faced a 4th and 1, so they elected to attempt a 33 yard Allison FG that was ultimately blocked by SC's Dayne. SC, starting on their own 20 yard line, soon fumbled the ball on their 36 yard line and WTW's Mamere recovered on the SC 40 yard line to give WTW great field position. However, WTW's Fisher was again intercepted, this time by SC's Hill on the SC 14 yard line to kill the WTW drive. SC then went three and out, with a kick interference call on SC moving the WTW field position all the way down to the SC 26 yard line. Having a short field, WTW took advantage and got down to the SC 5 yard line with a 19 yard run by WTW's Yost before the next three plays got the ball to just inches short of the goal line. Facing 4th and inches/4th and goal, WTW's Fisher got over the line on a QB sneak and the Allison XP tied the score at 7-7 with 1:13 remaining in the half. SC attempted to drive down to score, but a pass by SC's Dzierski was intercepted by WTW's Mamere to kill the SC drive. A few seconds later the two teams went into the locker rooms tied at 7 all.

SC took the second half KO and ran three plays before facing 4th and inches at the SC 39 yard line. A bad snap caused SC to lose 2 yards and WTW took over on the SC 37 with another short field. This time WTW took advantage again and scored on a 2 yard TD run by Barnes to go out in front, 14-7 (Allison XP) with 6:46 to play in the third quarter. On SC's next possession, Dzierski was intercepted again, this time by WTW's Roh at midfield. Failing to move the ball, WTW punted to pin SC at their 9 yard line. SC would move the ball out to near midfield, where they faced a 4th and 1 at the SC 49 yard line, and SC got a 4 yard run to pick up the first down. SC's Lewis, now in at QB for SC, found a receiver for a 34 yard pass to the WTW 11 yard line, but then faced another 4th down, this time 4th and 4 at the WTW 5 yard line. Needing points, they elected to attempt a 22 yard FG and Castillo's kick was good, making the score 14-10, WTW, with 10:33 remaining in the game. WTW then went three and out on their possession and SC started on their own 13 yard line. When WTW's defense forced SC's Dzierski to scramble, he forced a pass that was intercepted by WTW's Yost and returned 25 yards for a pick six. WTW now led 20-10 (Allison's XP was blocked by SC's Dayne) with 7:45 to play. On the next SC possession they failed to convert on a 4th and 3 at the WTW 45 yard line (incomplete pass). WTW gave the ball back with a three and out again but got a great punt and pinned SC on their own 9 yard line. SC moved quickly to near midfield with time running down before WTW's Yost intercepted Dzierski again at the WTW 25 yard line with less than a minute to play and the game was over.

Reactions: otnorot
Yeah, that was an ugly game. The other time I saw Woodson (against Lake Braddock) was similar. I can't tell if the Cavs have a good defense or if no one on their schedule has much of an offense. They haven't played anyone as explosive as Freedom so we'll find out next week. Woodson tweeted that the game is Saturday at 7:00, should allow for more people to be back in town.

Yeah, that was an ugly game. The other time I saw Woodson (against Lake Braddock) was similar. I can't tell if the Cavs have a good defense or if no one on their schedule has much of an offense. They haven't played anyone as explosive as Freedom so we'll find out next week. Woodson tweeted that the game is Saturday at 7:00, should allow for more people to be back in town.
I expect they will have trouble next week with Freedom, especially if Freedom plays like I saw them play against Woodbridge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT