ADVERTISEMENT

1A Championship game

My guess, and it is just a guess, is because there are more Class A teams in the western part of the state so the idea is to make it more convenient for them. Using the same logic, it makes the most sense to have the D-5 and 6 title games in some metro area down east, because there are very few big schools out here. Most of them are in Richmond, Tidewater or NOVa.

The Salem facility is just the right size for the 1-A game so that likely has something to do with it also.

I think longtime is right on. Taking the ludicrous regional alignment out of the picture, there are definitely more 1A schools west of Charlottesville so it kind of makes sense. Not that it matters to some teams out in the western part of the state but I think the gate would suffer if it was moved east. Because it’s my experience that SWVA supports each other when it comes to the championship. I am not so sure that the eastern teams would and that’s not meant as anything other than my opinion and a possible reason the bean counters at the VHSL would be reluctant to change it.

I wish all the state championship games could be located in Charlottesville. I remember when CBHS had to play basketball at UVA-wise for basketball state playoffs. It was a closer trip to Myrtle Beach, SC than Wise!

It has been other places in the past, but I think @longtimerhsfan is correct. And to take it a bit further, I think Salem is about in center of the vast majority and they are easy to work with for VHSL I understand. And they couldn't put 3/4 there because it would be a home game.

I think stadiums like JMU and UVA charge 2 arms and 2 legs to use their facilities. 3 and 4 are going back to Liberty I believe

Reactions: Mike777VSP
I remember back when I was younger, the state championship game was played at various high schools. One season the A/B winner got to "host" at a school in their Region, then the next year, the C/D winner got to "host". Talk about a long trip; when King and Queen won their state championship in 1990, they played JI Burton at New Kent high school. That was a hike for the Burton faithful, yet they still came out in droves.

Didn't Powell Valley have to travel to the Eastern Shore to Northhampton or Nandua to play a championship game in 1995 or 96? Thats a trip, but I'm guessing many players and maybe fans that was first and maybe only time to cross the bay bridge tunnel, not to mention the cost

Didn't Powell Valley have to travel to the Eastern Shore to Northhampton or Nandua to play a championship game in 1995 or 96? Thats a trip, but I'm guessing many players and maybe fans that was first and maybe only time to cross the bay bridge tunnel, not to mention the cost
I remember they played each other in the state championship, but I can't recall exactly where at. That definitely is a hike though

I mentioned that specific game in another thread lol. It was 1995 from the other reply, I knew it was either 94 or 95 because it was a Thomas Jones-led team. It's like a nine hour drive from here in Big Stone.

According to four seasons football, I love that site by the way, Powell Valley played Northampton at Nandua for the 1995 state championship. Powell Valley won 36-6

The field was pure mud too. It was very cold and the conditions were not great. PV was a run dominant team led by a future first round pick so it played into their favor, not sure about Northampton but I remember PV being significantly better. The 95 team was only second to the 97 team in terms of the best HS teams I've ever seen from this area. 1997 saw PV defeat the A, Div.1 champ and the AA div.2 champ in the regular season and win the A, D2 title.

It should rotate. Regardless of how many teams of what size are in a particular area. The fact is the championship game is played between only 2 teams, quite often one of those teams is from points east. So those folks should have the opportunity every once in a while to attend a game nearer to their area, or in a more central location for both schools.

Reactions: trutiger16
I agree to rotate but what other venue do you have in mind? I’m thinking in my head but can’t come up with one but the obvious UVA

It should rotate. Regardless of how many teams of what size are in a particular area. The fact is the championship game is played between only 2 teams, quite often one of those teams is from points east. So those folks should have the opportunity every once in a while to attend a game nearer to their area, or in a more central location for both schools.

The more central location would be liberty. Although as far the Champions coming from the East most of time, that is not always the case. Maybe here lately, but not overall. In fact if you go back as far as vhsl site shows, the west has more Champions.

I agree with most of the points stated above...but I think the teams that are coming from the Eastern part of the state would love for a chance to play near the home front. In the early 2000's it was held at JMU. All the money the VHSL is making they can afford to take a hit and let a school in the Richmond area or Tidewater area host a 1A/2A championship game. Just my thoughts...

Reactions: Triple Opt
VHSL is too busy taking votes on whether or not to throw flags on marching bands. They’re not gonna move the game away from Salem. They have bigger fish to fry...like HS marching bands lol.

Reactions: sixcat
Because of Virginia's unusual geography, long trips are just going to be inevitable no matter who is playing. Granted Salem is not "centrally" located for Region A teams but to decide to have the game down in Tidewater or whatever would be hard on any SW Va teams that might make it. For the same reason, having it further south (Bristol for example) would also be odd. If they wanted to have the closest thing possible to a neutral location, either Charlottesville or Lynchburg would be the best you could hope for.

Although this is the football board, I will also mention that I liked the Supersite concept they used for basketball for a few years and would like to see that come back. It was cool to have the chance to see 4 or 5 games in one facility.

Play them all at one site somewhere between Richmond and Charlottesville. Start with 1A and 2A on a Friday, move on to 3A and 4A on Saturday, then 5A and 6A on Sunday. Anyone with aspirations of watching their child, friend, whatever would know up front to plan vacation if needed. Its utterly futile for us to discuss since it wont change anytime soon.

Reactions: CHUKNOW
Because of Virginia's unusual geography, long trips are just going to be inevitable no matter who is playing. Granted Salem is not "centrally" located for Region A teams but to decide to have the game down in Tidewater or whatever would be hard on any SW Va teams that might make it. For the same reason, having it further south (Bristol for example) would also be odd. If they wanted to have the closest thing possible to a neutral location, either Charlottesville or Lynchburg would be the best you could hope for.

Although this is the football board, I will also mention that I liked the Supersite concept they used for basketball for a few years and would like to see that come back. It was cool to have the chance to see 4 or 5 games in one facility.
Not saying it should be in a "centrally" place...just saying it should be moved around. Tidewater would be a hard trip for SW Va teams...so Salem isn't hard on Region A teams??

Play them all at one site somewhere between Richmond and Charlottesville. Start with 1A and 2A on a Friday, move on to 3A and 4A on Saturday, then 5A and 6A on Sunday. Anyone with aspirations of watching their child, friend, whatever would know up front to plan vacation if needed. Its utterly futile for us to discuss since it wont change anytime soon.
I like that concept..that's a great way to vacation. No work and alot of football!

Not saying it should be in a "centrally" place...just saying it should be moved around. Tidewater would be a hard trip for SW Va teams...so Salem isn't hard on Region A teams??

My point was that it is impossible to have a "central" location in such an oddly shaped state. But to have it in one "extreme" part of the state (either Tidewater or Bristol for example) would be illogical. Granted Salem is not "convenient" for Region A teams, as you pointed out, but at least it keeps them from having to go another two or three hours further south. So as we all seem to agree, Charlottesville or maybe Lynchburg are about as close as you can get if you want to pinpoint the "middle" of Virginia.

My point was that it is impossible to have a "central" location in such an oddly shaped state. But to have it in one "extreme" part of the state (either Tidewater or Bristol for example) would be illogical. Granted Salem is not "convenient" for Region A teams, as you pointed out, but at least it keeps them from having to go another two or three hours further south. So as we all seem to agree, Charlottesville or maybe Lynchburg are about as close as you can get if you want to pinpoint the "middle" of Virginia.
ok I can agree with that. Since it isn't a middle point for both..thats where the rotation comes into play

I am going to agree that Lynchburg would be the most logical centrally located choice after considering that it would put the bulk of eastern teams about 3.5 hours away and the bulk of SWVA teams about the same.

What I don't agree with is rotating it arbitrarily. Maybe we develop a new system where the previous years champion determines which side East or West hosts the game. I would furthermore submit that if it were rotated in this method or some other way, no game should be within an hours drive of either end of this state. So you couldn't go past Wytheville or Williamsburg on either end in my mind.

And to top it all off there would be just two designated sites that host. If all of the champions came from the East the prior year, then all 6 games would be played in that designated stadium. If class 1 and 3 were the only champions from the East, then those games would be played in the East venue while the West side venue would host the other four games.

Then we must consider that the state level games are organized by the same people that completely jacked up the state semi final game between Chilhowie and Galax last year. No need to have common sense when you see a history of debacles such as that. The right thing isn't always the easy thing plus you are bound to make a segment of schools mad regardless of what would change. So while the stadium in Salem is filling up most years for the 1A and 2A game, I highly doubt that the venue changes anytime soon.

What do you mean "jacked up"? I don't remember hearing anything unusual about that game.

Here would be my solution for the perfect way to handle all six state championship games, not that it will ever happen....

Have as many as 6, maybe even more, designated spots each year around the state that could be "on stand by" if needed to host a game or games. Then once the semi-finals are over, take a look at all six match-ups and send each one to the most logical location for that particular game, having singular games where needed, double headers where needed or no game at all if it doesn't help anyone.

Say for example that Riverheads and Galax advance to the final. Then Salem remains a logical choice. But say Essex and Chilhowie are the final two. Well there would be no easy trip for either of those but Cville or Lburg would be more fair overall and hold their trips to more like 3 hours instead of 6-8.

The same logic could then be applied to all six divisions. You could never please all the people all the time but there ought to be a way to make sure that one team does not ALWAYS have to make long trips or another always get to play closer to home.

What do you mean "jacked up"? I don't remember hearing anything unusual about that game.

Here would be my solution for the perfect way to handle all six state championship games, not that it will ever happen....

Have as many as 6, maybe even more, designated spots each year around the state that could be "on stand by" if needed to host a game or games. Then once the semi-finals are over, take a look at all six match-ups and send each one to the most logical location for that particular game, having singular games where needed, double headers where needed or no game at all if it doesn't help anyone.

Say for example that Riverheads and Galax advance to the final. Then Salem remains a logical choice. But say Essex and Chilhowie are the final two. Well there would be no easy trip for either of those but Cville or Lburg would be more fair overall and hold their trips to more like 3 hours instead of 6-8.

The same logic could then be applied to all six divisions. You could never please all the people all the time but there ought to be a way to make sure that one team does not ALWAYS have to make long trips or another always get to play closer to home.
Jacked up is referring to moving the game from Chilhowie to Northwood which was probably in as bad a shape or worse than Chilhowie's field. Game should of just been played at Chilhowie or a much better field should of been found....that's on the VHSL

That was the reference. Officials changed it two times and never really gave reasoning for the last change but there were some theories as to why. I don’t know that the game would have turned out different but it was a real soap opera for a couple of days.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
There are logical reasons for games to be here or there or even as longtime said standby locations, but that seems very unfeasible.

Unless we are talking about large High school stadiums (remember Salem isn't strictly a HS stadium) the chances of all the places being open is small. And some of these places cost A LOT to rent.

And knowing a week before, that would be very hard for everyone involved to make plans. A lot of places get hotel rooms, parents etc.

Just my opinion

I agree I loved that b-ball format could watch different teams from all over all day long!

City stadium in Lynchburg is really a good place to play since they have done the renovations there. Would be cool to have 1a and 2a there . It holds 12000 not a bad seat in the place . Don’t know what they would charge to use .

Supersite over a long weekend would make a lot of sense for a lot of sports. There has been discussion of doing something like that for Track and Field and in this fans opinion. That would be fantastic.

Reactions: Triple Opt
Supersite sucks in the spring because kids have to miss school in order to attend and support their friends.

I may be misunderstanding your post but Salem would only be an hour and a half for chilhowie and 3:40 for Essex not 6-8 hours. Charlottesville would be closer to the middle but Lynchburg isn't much closer for Essex. IMO Salem is a good size. Way better than those too big stadiums that are 80% empty during the game.

Reactions: Scagmowers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT