ADVERTISEMENT

1A East: Altavista (78) vs Surry (33) - FINAL

pizzzzza

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Nov 9, 2001
Underway in the 1A-East Region Tournament Championship between Altavista (22-3) and Surry (15-7)

This post was edited on 3/7 3:15 PM by pizzzzza

Re: 1A East: Altavista vs Surry

Not even 4 minutes in and Altavista leads Surry 8-0 with 3's from Juan Thornhill and Donovan Montague.

3:20 left 1stQ - Altavista 11, Surry 0.

Meche Maulbeck gets in on the 3-point act.

Colonels playing some stifling man-to-man D'

1:50 left in 1stQ of 1A-East Region Championship - Altavista 15, Surry 0. Colonels are winning by an average of 39.8PPG this postseason.

End 1stQ in 1A-East Region Championship - Altavista 19, Surry 4.

Guards Juan Thornhill & Meche Maulbeck applying great defensive pressure.

4:45 to go 2nd Q - Altavista 28, Surry 8.

Juan Thornhill with a ferocious flush and Demetrius Johnson turns a steal into 2 the other way.

1:15 to go 2ndQ - Altavista 34, Surry13.

But worth pointing out that Cougars junior guard Justin Williams is making quite a few gutsy plays.

1A-East Region Championship at the HALF - Altavista 37, Surry 13. Colonels' closest win this postseason was by 23 over Essex.

This post was edited on 3/7 2:32 PM by pizzzzza

Surry averages 63 PPG with their season-low being 43.

Altavista leads them 47-13 with 4:30 left in the 3rd Q.

Colonels continue to dominate.

End 3rd Q in 1A-East Region Tournament Championship - Altavista 57, Surry 19.

Winner gets Galax, loser gets Honaker on Monday at VCU
This post was edited on 3/7 3:00 PM by pizzzzza

1A-East Region Tournament Championship - FINAL: Altavista 78, Surry 33

Mike Cartolaro career win #500 (with 401 of them coming at Altavista)

Colonels face Galax Monday at VCU.

Altavista continues to destroy all opposition

Wow, it appears that all the predictions are correct, AltaVista is a no brainer to win 1A it seems. I do not know anything about 1A West B-Ball, but now that Radford is out, I guess that the Colonels look to walk the dog to another state title (would be 3 in a row). They are awesome indeed, certainly at least their top 4 or 5 kids and have a great coach and support system in which to thrive. As I mentioned, I was very impressed with what I saw at AltaVista. I wonder where this team would rank in the history of Group A Basketball? Fairly high I would think.

Well, at least our kids at Essex can know that they gave AltaVista a great game, at least until the 2nd half anyway. I think that their 8th seed proved to be a mistake as no one else in the tourney even could remain in the game for the 1st 2 minutes it seems. Essex even had the lead for a few seconds in the 2nd half before things fell apart. No reason to make excuses as AltaVista was clearly the better team, but Essex did well even in the face of some interesting calls, being outmatched (size and experience) and maybe could have made a few different adjustments to remain competitive. Also, Essex lost its top scorer a month ago as well to injury so I was glad that they could hang around for a bit. Again, no excuses. The better team won the day handily.

In the end, AltaVista is just too powerful this year (and for the last couple years it seems). Well done. They are fun to watch too, especially at this level. Not seen too often, I wouldn't think.
This post was edited on 3/7 3:45 PM by uvacavs1

Re: Altavista continues to destroy all opposition

Be careful . I remember the RE Lee team that was unbeatable until Martinsville got them.

but I think Altavista will bring home the trophy .

Why?

Why would Altavista still have their starters in halfway through the 4th quarter and a with a 40 point lead?

One injury to any of their key players and they jeopardize their chances.

One injury to Juan Thornhill and he could possibly lose a full ride to UVA.

Re: Not so fast....

There are still 2 games left before s state champ is crowned. If both A-town and Honaker make the finals (which I suspect will happen), Honaker has the team to stop the Colonels. May or may not happen but it is premature to crown a champ just yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT