ADVERTISEMENT

1A Soccer State Championship: Rappahannock 3 Galax 2 OT

Saw a pic on Galax FB page with them taking a team pic on the field and the score board behind them has the score 7-6. Either way, congrats to Rappahannock on the championship and congrats to the West Point girls soccer on their state runner-up today.

Good luck to Rappahannock Softball & Essex Baseball on their quest for a Championship this Saturday as both teams will be facing Auburn’s girls and boys teams.

Reactions: uvacavs1
Saw a pic on Galax FB page with them taking a team pic on the field and the score board behind them has the score 7-6. Either way, congrats to Rappahannock on the championship and congrats to the West Point girls soccer on their state runner-up today.

Good luck to Rappahannock Softball & Essex Baseball on their quest for a Championship this Saturday as both teams will be facing Auburn’s girls and boys teams.
They must have been counting the penalty kicks. It was 2-2 at the end of regulation. Definitely will be listening in on Saturday to the baseball and softball games too. Hopefully more hardware for Region A

Reactions: uvacavs1
Wow - what a soccer thriller, especially from near the end of regulation on- edge of your seat, nerve-racking excitement.

Many people in the loud & great crowd (including new casual soccer fans or folks just checking it out were like oh my gosh...I can't take it...).

Rappahannock taking on the Virginia Powerhouse Galax (Galax has won 5 of the last 6 State titles) for the Class 1 State Championship.

The Raiders won 5-4 in extra PKs after the 4 overtimes and the PK shootout.

It was 2-2 at the end of Regulation.

Congratulations to Rappahannock High School!

Rappahannock is the 1st Class 1 Region A school ever to win the state title since the VHSL began the Group A State Tournament in 1999.

Rappahannock dominated most of the match. I would say Rappahannock took 3 to 4 times as many shots, controlled the majority of possession and had double or more the corner kicks and so on.

However, obviously Galax has many skilled players and is patient. It seemed that they were mostly focused on defense and stopping Rapp's top 2 or 3 major attacking weapons.

Rapp scored 7 minutes into the match. It was 1-0 at the half. Exciting game.

Rapp scored what should have been the insurance goal with about 6 minutes left in the 2nd half and just had to hold on.

2-0 Rappahannock with just 5 minutes to go....

Well, obviously at this point, Galax had no choice but to the send the house and they did. Two minutes later they scored on a throw in I think - a mass of bodies in font of the goal. Then with less than two minutes, the entire defense of like 5 defenders plus the goalkeeper went on the attack and they scored again...It was Insane.

Galax had maybe two shots at the goal the entire 2nd half until scoring twice in the final 3-4 minutes. Crazy. Hey, they aren't a powerhouse for nothing. Their large and really loud fan base went berserk as well they should.

The 4 OTs were crazy stressful and then the PK Shootout was wild with 2 extra PKs.

The Rapp goalie (a 10th grader) came up massive - he stuffed two great Galax PKs and Rappahannock won the State Championship!

I hope that Galax has a safe trip home!

Congrats to all the Rappahannock players and Coach Clary plus all the others -present and past .

Congrats to the Northern Neck. Well done.

Last edited:
They must have been counting the penalty kicks. It was 2-2 at the end of regulation. Definitely will be listening in on Saturday to the baseball and softball games too. Hopefully more hardware for Region A
I completely forgot all about that. Coming from a soccer player back in the day, I should’ve figured that out. LOL

Reactions: kwhs95fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT