ADVERTISEMENT

1A West cheat sheet is now up

VHSL-helper

VaPreps All Region
Oct 23, 2004
By my numbers, only two teams have clinched a 1st round home game, but a whopping 14 teams are in, AND J.I. Burton will be in with a win Monday night, leaving seven teams going after the last spot, with Eastside & East. Mont. having a big edge on the rest of the pack. The absolute minimum to get in is 153 points.
I'll update it again Monday night after the JIB-RC game,

This post was edited on 11/1 8:29 PM by VHSL-helper

1A West

Looks like there's a good chance that Clintwood vs Covington in first round. That will be one of the longer trips in first round.

Thank you for compiling these.

Sadly, this will be the last year of existence for Clintwood and Haysi. Hopefully Clintwood will get a home game in the first round to give its famous stadium a proper sendoff.

That's such a shame to me. And then for them to give the new school a cookie cutter crap name like they ended up doing...

No sense of history or tradition anymore. Which seems to be the new agenda, desensitize kids of their sense of community and pride. Same agenda struck the schools in Wise a few years back as well.

ditto mmqp

I feel the same way... I'm not sure how familiar you are with Ridgeview in Stuarts Draft, but it is likely to be a polar oppsite of the one in SWVA lol...and I don't mean to disrepect either school by saying that.

Re: ditto mmqp

Agree 100%.

These CEO-like administrators could care less about community and tradition (much less about kids spending half their lives on a school bus).

Speaking of recently consolidated schools that are given the names of suburban office parks, we have, in the nearby counties of West Virginia:
Riverview, McDowell County
Riverview, Kanawha County
Mountview, McDowell County
Pikeview, Mercer County

This post was edited on 11/4 12:23 AM by bluebirder

How many Riverview's are needed? And you can tell it really takes a lot of deep thought to come up with something like that...

The ones that really make me sick are the two schools here in NoVa called "Freedom"...give me a break. That's the best they could come up with?? And then there is Patriot high as well.. gotta get the faux patriotism out there to the grey masses I guess.

Why cant folks just stick to naming schools after the city or county they are in?

"Freedom," really?

There is a consolidated school in Raleigh County called "Liberty"--I guess that's just as bad.

I really do think that modern day bureaucrats and admins want to divorce schools from the community. It isn't just because they prefer standardization and centralization. They don't want communities to have a stake in the schools. They don't want alums, community members, or even current students to feel like the school is *theirs*

I agree with your views on the admins.

And yes, there are TWO Freedom high schools up here...and guess what? Both are the Eagles and have the same colors. Pathetic huh?

The Liberty High's annoy me as well. Especially the one in Bealeton. Why not call it Bealeton High, or keep the name of the original school in that town "Cedar Lee". Both would be unique alternatives to drab old Liberty.

The Liberty in Bedford makes a little more sense (but not much) because that was the original name of Bedford City. But the Bedford "Otters" had a nice long history of football tradition before they became Liberty in 1964.

Another one that annoys me is "Heritage". Newport News High School (the Typhoons) was around for many many years before shutting down in 1970. And instead of reviving the name they chose generic, cookie cutter Heritage.

The Heritage in Lynchburg is even more ridiculous since they had a high school called Dunbar (The Poets....GREAT NAME!) that shut down in the early 70's, and instead chose to name the new high school in the late 70's....shudder...Heritage instead of reviving the unique and MEANINGFUL name of Dunbar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT