ADVERTISEMENT

2014 VHSL Third Round Football Pairings

Just wondering, how will the 5A south championship home team be determined? Will the teams be reseeded according to their point ratings?

Originally posted by FargoFootball8:
Just wondering, how will the 5A south championship home team be determined? Will the teams be reseeded according to their point ratings?
Yes

Do they go by the final regular season point ratings or do they update the ratings to include playoff game results to decide? IF they just use regular season, the final 5A South game will be in Richmond. If they update through the playoff game results, I have no clue.

Either way it should most likely be in Richmond because Hermitage beat an undefeated #2 Manchester and Bird beat undefeated #1 Highland Springs. Along with the fact Herm and Bird were already above Salem in the rankings at the end of the season, and with the points from whoever wins the matchup against each other. This is speculation of course but it seems to be a pretty good assumption.

Originally posted by WP02alum:
Do they go by the final regular season point ratings or do they update the ratings to include playoff game results to decide? IF they just use regular season, the final 5A South game will be in Richmond. If they update through the playoff game results, I have no clue.
Final regular season

No matter who wins down here in the Tidewater area they will be on the road next week in Richmond. Prime example once again of how the Richmond schools blew it and they will never admit it because they will always counter with how they made money last year in their playoffs.

Here is what the playoffs could have been if seeded 1-16

1. Highland Springs vs. 16. Godwin
8. Indian River vs. 9. Hampton
4. L.C. Bird vs. 13. Meadowbrook
5. Salem vs. 12. Green Run

3. Hermitage vs. 14. Great Bridge
6. Atlee vs. 11. Freeman
2. Manchester vs. 15. Kellam
7. Norview vs. 10. Henrico

So now you have in the Tidewater area #5 Salem vs. #7 Norview for the right to play in the state semifinals. Both of these teams would have been eliminated in round 2 by Bird and Manchester respectively. You still would have ended up with Highland Springs vs. Bird and Manchester vs. Hermitage and added another home game for each team which would have been more $ for each team. Just my opinion!!

The Richmond area has an established history of blowing things. Good teams missed the playoffs because they were the only 4 playoff team region.

I've never seen a bunch of AD's determined to vote against their own interest like they do there. The thing is, they should have known this was the situation. As soon as we saw the final alignments under this system Tom Garrett and I instantly said that 5A lined up real nice for the former Central Region.

I know the game is over with but I have a question here: if they used the final regular season ratings, why wasn't Bird the home team against Salem?

Originally posted by FargoFootball8:
I know the game is over with but I have a question here: if they used the final regular season ratings, why wasn't Bird the home team against Salem?
They used "seed" instead of ratings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT