Patrick Henry Roanoke Athletics @PHRoanokesports
PH_Football @PHPatriotsFB

WILLIAM FLEMING
BNZ4XZRXJVLMBK32DZV7YFFHVY.gif

ColonelPride @WFAthletics

FRANKLIN COUNTY
FCHS%20high%20school.png

Last edited:
Given all the changes (like Highland Springs moving to 6A), whichever one of these new members ends up being the best ought to win the region in football.

none
but if I had to choose PH and Louisa has the best track record.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Given all the changes (like Highland Springs moving to 6A), whichever one of these new members ends up being the best ought to win the region in football.
Not so fast... It would not surprise me at all to see LC Bird, Matoaca or Douglas Freeman win the region. I even like James River to make some noise.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
none
but if I had to choose PH and Louisa has the best track record.
If not for Louisa losing so much I would be high on them to win the region. Still might given their track record as you say. Could be some fun playoff matchups come that time.

This region is going to be very competitive come playoff time. Even with the additions of Louisa, Albemarle, Matoaca, and Patrick Henry I don't think anyone from this region will likely be able compete with the likes of Stone Bridge, Maury, Warwick, Kings Fork or Green Run. Had Louisa retained their two offensive studs I may have seen things differently.

Last edited:
This region is going to be very competitive come playoff time. Even with the additions of Louisa, Albemarle, Matoaca, and Patrick Henry I don't think anyone from this region will likely be able compete with the likes of Stone Bridge, Maury, Warwick, Kings Fork or Green Run. Had Louisa obtained their two offensive studs I may have seen things differently.
I tend to agree with you my friend but keep in mind they only way they meet those teams you named would be in the state finals as 5C will play 5D in the state semifinals.

So 100% agree that 5C is a weaker region. PH Albemarle and Fleming can count their blessings being rid of Stone Bridge and Mountain View in region, missing HsHs in 5C, and Louisa losing Hiter to Woidberry. It’s a good set up for them to have a shot in football.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
So 100% agree that 5C is a weaker region. PH Albemarle and Fleming can count their blessings being rid of Stone Bridge and Mountain View in region, missing HsHs in 5C, and Louisa losing Hiter to Woidberry. It’s a good set up for them to have a shot in football.
They definitely have shot but to be honest we all know Stonebridge is going to advance to the State Final, whether they are in 5C or 5D this year.

Not so fast... It would not surprise me at all to see LC Bird, Matoaca or Douglas Freeman win the region. I even like James River to make some noise.
Midlo is going to be good. They have been for years.

The Dominion District will be loaded this year. Cosby, Huguenot, Manchester, Bird and James River will all be dangerous too.

The Dominion District will be loaded this year. Cosby, Huguenot, Manchester, Bird and James River will all be dangerous too.
I hate to be the negative Nelly but the dominion is not going to be “loaded”! It’s going to be good and balanced. I’m definitely not a believer in Cosby or Huguenot until they prove it on the field. Huguenot may be in the toughest region in the state! I do believe Manchester,bird,and James River will all three compete for the region title with Midlothian. whoever comes out of that region is going to face a very pissed off Stonebridge. so,I don’t think it really matters.

I have to see if Midlothian can sustain through the turnover. The Trojans graduated a ton of talent that was crucial to the previous two seasons and they have a new coach.

I do like what Coach Wild is doing at Cosby, I think they are trending up and Manchester & Bird we have come to expect to be there. James River is one of my sleepers... them and Matoaca.

Huguenot has a lot of talent coming into the program but we need to see it in action. I am eyeballing that opener against TJ the first week of the season as a game I might hit.

I hate to be the negative Nelly but the dominion is not going to be “loaded”! It’s going to be good and balanced. I’m definitely not a believer in Cosby or Huguenot until they prove it on the field. Huguenot may be in the toughest region in the state! I do believe Manchester,bird,and James River will all three compete for the region title with Midlothian. whoever comes out of that region is going to face a very pissed off Stonebridge. so,I don’t think it really matters.
Don't dismiss Cosby yet. Coach Wild in his first season with the Titans got them to a 5-5 mark after several down seasons. They got a lot of young talent coming up. I don't look for them to be a threat in Region 6A but they could take a step this season and get 6 or 7 wins.

I have to see if Midlothian can sustain through the turnover. The Trojans graduated a ton of talent that was crucial to the previous two seasons and they have a new coach.

I do like what Coach Wild is doing at Cosby, I think they are trending up and Manchester & Bird we have come to expect to be there. James River is one of my sleepers... them and Matoaca.

Huguenot has a lot of talent coming into the program but we need to see it in action. I am eyeballing that opener against TJ the first week of the season as a game I might hit.

I know coaches on all 3 staffs. The coaching community in the Dominion is small and a lot of the guys have worked with each other at other schools or know each other through Youth football.

Midlothian returns proven QB in Chambers and playmakers like WR Kleski and RB Sowers. Was told they kept a lot of the assistants on staff. Losing Coach Hutchings will hurt in the long-term but he established a program that will be competitive for years.

Cosby lost QB Lambert to Benedictine which will hurt. Titans also lost RB Coley who was as important to Cosby as Berry was for Midlo. They do have some big time players like LB Snyder and well traveled Ath Justice Thompson. The staff is excited about the young kids in the program.

Anybody who thinks Huguenot will not be very good doesn’t know much about youth and HS football in this area. I am not a fan of some of the things that the former LCA staff has done but Scott might have the most talented team overall in the Dominion.

Dabney brothers, Cohen, Dereck Carter, Johnson-Lee and Manchester transfer QB Wright are D-1 players and there’s at least 3 other freshman that I was told will be D-1.

Bird RB Lowe transferred to the falcons and Huguenot has never struggled to find size. The CVA canes feeding into Huguenot will mean that they will have as much talent as anyone in the league year in and year out.

This will be the best Dominion district in 10 years when it comes to depth of teams who can really play. Traditionally the league has been very top-heavy with Manchester, Bird and Monacan. Midlothian has been knocking at the door the last 3-4 years.

Clover Hill and Wythe are the only teams that are guaranteed to struggle. Both Hendersons are rebuilding at Powhatan and Monacan but I wouldn’t bet against either of those coaches track records. They are proven winners.

Manchester has the best combination of talent, experience and coaching coming back. Going to be interesting how much QB Abernathy grows going into his sophomore year. Byerson and OL Walz might be the best two players in the district.

The staff at Bird seems to think they will be very good too. They return some great players like DL Ramadan, Ath Lewis and LB Vaughan. Bird will always have athletes.

James River will have an explosive offense behind QB Layne and RB Mangabang.

Going to be a good year for the league.

I scratch my head at the folks who say Huguenot won’t be good. What’s crazy, if they were in 5C, they’d be the favorites to win it.
Not over LC Bird they wouldn't, based off of what bird did last year and what they returned I would say they are the front runners. I believe Huguenot will be good in a few years but it will take Scott a few years to get the kids to buy into the program and gel. Huguenot has some real talented kids in the program but the majority of their kids did not transfer over from LCA. It will take some time to get the kids that are new to his program and system some time.

Not over LC Bird they wouldn't, based off of what bird did last year and what they returned I would say they are the front runners. I believe Huguenot will be good in a few years but it will take Scott a few years to get the kids to buy into the program and gel. Huguenot has some real talented kids in the program but the majority of their kids did not transfer over from LCA. It will take some time to get the kids that are new to his program and system some time.
How big was the loss of the RB that transferred to Huguenot from Bird? I thought he was one of Bird’s best players.

How big was the loss of the RB that transferred to Huguenot from Bird? I thought he was one of Bird’s best players.

RB Lowe is a very good player. He split carries with Townes-fox and Williams but it would have been his backfield this yr.

Bird won’t have an issue of finding a RB, pretty much ever. Bird needs a QB who can be a threat in the pass game. You can’t be so 1 dimensional and compete for a region title.

Birds D has a chance to be special with very good players on all 3 levels.

Don’t know if Lowe will get carries at Huguenot with Dabney’s playing. It will be Lowe’s 3rd maybe 4th high school I believe.

Majority of LCA didn’t transfer over but at least 4-6 D1 kids did. Most of the LCA kids reclass and that causes issues with returning to public school if they played at one.

Dabneys been at LCA for years and I believe the older brother Michael reclassed in middle school. Markel is the better of the two prospect wise, but both kids can ball.

Huguenot has very talented kids coming in the program and they will blow TJ out.

TJ offense was get the ball to Aziah Johnson last year and he won games by himself, he’s gone to Michigan State.

Matoaca is the team that might be a lot better than people think. DL Caleb Williams is a dude and have multiple d1 kids like Ath Bryce Yates.

Freeman and James River will be a big game week 2

Majority of LCA didn’t transfer over but at least 4-6 D1 kids did. Most of the LCA kids reclass and that causes issues with returning to public school if they played at one.

Dabneys been at LCA for years and I believe the older brother Michael reclassed in middle school. Markel is the better of the two prospect wise, but both kids can ball.

Huguenot has very talented kids coming in the program and they will blow TJ out.

TJ offense was get the ball to Aziah Johnson last year and he won games by himself, he’s gone to Michigan State.

Matoaca is the team that might be a lot better than people think. DL Caleb Williams is a dude and have multiple d1 kids like Ath Bryce Yates.

Freeman and James River will be a big game week 2
I've been saying it for a couple of months now... keep your eye on Matoaca. They are the team no one is talking about as a contender in Region 5C and I think that is a mistake. They are a legit dark horse.

@RVA804 and @CRF4Dan, I agree with both of you on Matoaca. They have some talent just need to put things together. Honestly, I think they often get overlooked, because they are generally the third or fourth best team in the Central District. Admittedly, the Capital is a bit better overall, but I believe the Central is the second best football district in RVA.

Let's have a district vs. district benefit series:

Highland Springs vs. Thomas Dale
Varina vs. Dinwiddie
Matoaca vs. Hanover
Hopewell vs. Patrick Henry
Atlee vs. Petersburg
Prince George vs. Mechanicsville/Henrico
Colonial Heights vs. Armstrong

@RVA804 and @CRF4Dan, I agree with both of you on Matoaca. They have some talent just need to put things together. Honestly, I think they often get overlooked, because they are generally the third or fourth best team in the Central District. Admittedly, the Capital is a bit better overall, but I believe the Central is the second best football district in RVA.

Varina vs. Dinwiddie
Matoaca vs. Hanover
Atlee vs. Petersburg
Thing about Matoaca this year is even thought they might be third or fourth in the Central which is what I was discussing with someone today, when they hit Region 5C playoffs they will be battle tested and have a leg up.

We don't need benefit series... you could end up with Highland Springs/Thomas Dale, Varina/Dinwiddie in the playoffs.

Varina vs. Dinwiddie
Matoaca vs. Hanover
Atlee vs. Petersburg
I think the Central/Capital Districts are neck and neck. A few years back I was thinking PG was about to be the team that would stand between Herm and HS for the 5C championship but they’ve really done nothing. Those are some big boys, they have a really good coach and they have very good numbers. I scratch my head at them.

Thing about Matoaca this year is even thought they might be third or fourth in the Central which is what I was discussing with someone today, when they hit Region 5C playoffs they will be battle tested and have a leg up.

We don't need benefit series... you could end up with Highland Springs/Thomas Dale, Varina/Dinwiddie in the playoffs.
@CRF4Dan I wasn't throwing shade on Matoaca. I know they will be good and can make some noise come playoff time. Just will be tough to win the region if they have to play on the road. The Warriors can't afford to lose any ood games and must finish in the top 3 of the Central District (no more than 2 losses) to get a top four seed.

I looked at everybody in Region C's schedule and Louisa has the only chance of going unbeaten. Based on the loss of a few studs I see them dropping one game.

My best guess at regular season records:

Louisa 9-1
Freeman 7-3
Patrick Henry Roanoke 7-3
Albemarle 7-3
Franklin County 7-3
LC Bird 7-3
James River 6-4
Midlothian 6-4
Matoaca 6-4
MIlls Godwin 6-4
Hermitage 6-4
Fleming 5-5
Tucker 4-6
Prince George 3-7
Clover Hill 2-8

@CRF4Dan I wasn't throwing shade on Matoaca. I know they will be good and can make some noise come playoff time. Just will be tough to win the region if they have to play on the road. The Warriors can't afford to lose any ood games and must finish in the top 3 of the Central District (no more than 2 losses) to get a top four seed.

I looked at everybody in Region C's schedule and Louisa has the only chance of going unbeaten. Based on the loss of a few studs I see them dropping one game.

My best guess at regular season records:

Louisa 9-1
Freeman 7-3
Patrick Henry Roanoke 7-3
Albemarle 7-3
Franklin County 7-3
LC Bird 7-3
James River 6-4
Midlothian 6-4
Matoaca 6-4
MIlls Godwin 6-4
Hermitage 6-4
Fleming 5-5
Tucker 4-6
Prince George 3-7
Clover Hill 2-8
Louisa 9-1 after losing their 2 best players?! Must have a super weak schedule

Reactions: OCBoy
@HooSprings have you even taken a peak? Sound programs lose good players every year and reload. Since 2017, Louisa has only been beaten once in Jefferson District and their ood schedule includes two teams Massaponax and Courtland who finished 4-6 last season. Louisa's record since 2017 is 61-8 with five one loss (playoff) seasons. I am not saying the Lions will win the Region, but let's be real here. Class 5 Region C will be competitive, but without the torch barrier Highland Springs it's not just not scary.

@HooSprings have you even taken a peak? Sound programs lose good players every year and reload. Since 2017, Louisa has only been beaten once in Jefferson District and their ood schedule includes two teams Massaponax and Courtland who finished 4-6 last season. Louisa's record since 2017 is 61-8 with five one loss (playoff) seasons. I am not saying the Lions will win the Region, but let's be real here. Class 5 Region C will be competitive, but without the torch barrier Highland Springs it's not just not scary.
You don’t lose a five star running back and another star player and just re-fill the gaps. Once again, I have not seen the schedule, and that’s why I made the comment I made. To go 9-1,they must be playing in a weak district,and that will not bode well for them come playoff time. I have to admit, until they lost the running back and the other star player, I had them as the favorite to win the region. by the way, this has nothing to do with Highland Springs. I’m basically just making a simple comment as a Central Region fan. The winner of that region is going to have to face Stonebridge, and we know that ain’t no joke.

If you really want, my honest opinion, Louisa needs to find a way to get into the dominion district. It wouldn’t hurt to put them in the capital District either.

Reactions: 804 Football Fan
Are you going to the scrimmage/jamboree at EC glass with Dinwiddie and Highland Springs? At this point I don’t think I can make it, and I would really love your thoughts if you do go.

Are you going to the scrimmage/jamboree at EC glass with Dinwiddie and Highland Springs? At this point I don’t think I can make it, and I would really love your thoughts if you do go.
When is it? I plan on coming.

When is it? I plan on coming.
On Aug 4th, the E.C Glass Hilltoppers will host the defending 4A state champions: Dinwiddie High School, as well as the defending 5A champions: Highland Springs High School in a 3 way opening scrimmage. JV will begin at 5 P.M. at City Stadium, Varsity will begin directly afterwards (7 P.M.). All three teams will be feed afterwards by the Topper Touchdown Club.

This will be one of the biggest and best opening scrimmages in the state. Special thanks to Coach Loren Johnson and Billy Mills for traveling down to Lynchburg.

Thank you for your continued support of E.C Glass Football

-Coach Jamar Lovelace

On Aug 4th, the E.C Glass Hilltoppers will host the defending 4A state champions: Dinwiddie High School, as well as the defending 5A champions: Highland Springs High School in a 3 way opening scrimmage. JV will begin at 5 P.M. at City Stadium, Varsity will begin directly afterwards (7 P.M.). All three teams will be feed afterwards by the Topper Touchdown Club.

This will be one of the biggest and best opening scrimmages in the state. Special thanks to Coach Loren Johnson and Billy Mills for traveling down to Lynchburg.

Thank you for your continued support of E.C Glass Football

-Coach Jamar Lovelace
Appreciate that

You don’t lose a five star running back and another star player and just re-fill the gaps. Once again, I have not seen the schedule, and that’s why I made the comment I made. To go 9-1,they must be playing in a weak district,and that will not bode well for them come playoff time. I have to admit, until they lost the running back and the other star player, I had them as the favorite to win the region. by the way, this has nothing to do with Highland Springs. I’m basically just making a simple comment as a Central Region fan. The winner of that region is going to have to face Stonebridge, and we know that ain’t no joke.

If you really want, my honest opinion, Louisa needs to find a way to get into the dominion district. It wouldn’t hurt to put them in the capital District either.
Putting Louisa in the Capital District would be like the foolishness I heard this morning of putting Oregon and Washington in the ACC. Louisa lies in an area that is wedged between us and Charlottesville. Could honestly go either way but I think where they are district wise makes the most sense.

Last edited:
Putting Louisa in the Capital District would be like the foolishness I heard this morning of putting Oregon and Washington in the ACC. Louisa lies in an area that is wedged between us and Charlottesville. Could honestly go either way but I think where they are district wise makes the post sense.
I agree, Dominion would make more sense than Capital but to your point Danny, Louisa is more Charlottesville/Fredericksburg than Richmond. Heck you can make the argument to add them to the Battlefield more so than those two RVA metro districts.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
but the are not - they are in 4B and good in that region is not good enough.
Huguenot's coaching staff hasn't had a winning season since coaching their rec team, The Canes, in like 2017 or 18. We really should stop talking about them until they prove they can coach at the high school level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT