ADVERTISEMENT

(2A East) Page County at #1 Robert E. Lee

pizzzzza

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Nov 9, 2001
End of one quarter, Lee Ladies and Page County are tied 8-8.

Donovan Wingfield picks up her second foul with 1:33 left in first.

Lee forward subs out.

Sara Sabo in.

Tie ball game 8-8.
This post was edited on 2/25 6:18 PM by pizzzzza

Donovan Wingfield picks up her third foul with over 2 minutes to go before half as Lee trails 14-12.

In comes Peyton Hicks.

So not much running going on in the 1st half of this Lee girls' game.

It's been all half court play, which looks to be favoring Page.

We're at half at Lee as the Lee Ladies trail 14-12 to Page County.

It's been shaky basketball, with a lot of start-and-stop.

Lee responds with 6-0 run, ties it up at 19-19 in third.

It's getting a little more interesting at Lee.

The Lee Ladies have pulled ahead behind two Secret Bryant FT's to go up 25-24 in 3rd

With one quarter to go it's a tight one. Lee leads 25-24 over Page.

Good news: almost a packed house here.

3-point play by Laney Corbin puts Page up 33-30 with 4:11 to go against Lee.

Page County takes timeout with 33 secs left. They have ball down 1.

Turnover by Page, then the steal and foul. Donovan Wingfield misses 1 and 1, and Page got ball.

Hannah Henry raced down the court, went untouched for lay in with 4 seconds left to put Page up one.

Lee fails to get shot up on other end as buzzer sounds.

Lee loses 36-35 in wild finish.

Bruton's girls will host Page County in Thursday's 2nd round Group 2A regional game on Thursday.

All I can say is wow!!!!! Congrats to Page for moving on and congrats to Lee Ladies on a great season. I will say Lee fans were pretty awesome except the student section for screaming and yelling while Alli Breeden was on the floor with an injury. Very disrespectful. Admin should have stepped in. But the fans were awesome and an awesome game. Go Page!!!!!

way to go Lady Panthers, congrats, yall deserved this game! Yall came in with a gameplan and really controlled the tempo of the entire game.

this was not the same lee team we saw last week, and I credit that to the Panther gameplan as well as the players and coaches. I would like to apologize for our student section behaving the way they did gtown, I am completely embarassed by that. I thought Montana Welcher played well for us tonight, and I wish her the best of luck in her future as she was our lone senior. I wondered why Tampa (who I thought did a great job this season) decided to put Kemper Snyder in for such a short amount of time (like 1 minute during crunch time) especially after she sunk two HUGE free throws, to put in a player that had really been struggling all game... there was probably some reasoning for it, but i liked the energy kemper brought late in the game. I thought Secret had a good game as well, and one of her 3 pointers was in NBA range. Page played a really disciplined andgood overall game, and that #14 is CLUTCH! Those post players down low for you guys have some really strong moves (some nba players should watch them to see how to play in the post). I think u r a really solid team and am amazed that u were only a 4 seed!

I had said all along that this felt a lot like football season with how people were becoming arrogant and cocky, and thinking u could just show up and win, and man it seemed like that was the vibe in the gym tonight... Maybe these kids and parents will learn to be more humble and start taking games 1 at a time!

You guys from Page are a real class act, and I was glad to meet some of the parents tonight. Congrats and best of luck in the tourney!

Thanks for the kind words Keith. The fans got treated to a fun doubleheader tonight. Both teams have improved during the year and are getting better at each game. The game tonight could have easily went either way. I'll have to admit I was extremely happy and proud to see the Page girls pull out the win tonight.

Thanks for the kind words Keith. The fans got treated to a fun doubleheader tonight. Both teams have improved during the year and are getting better at each game. The game tonight could have easily went either way. I'll have to admit I was extremely happy and proud to see the Page girls pull out the win tonight.

No problem Keith. I guess I'm getting really old (31) by saying "kids these days" haha Just a huge pet peeve of mine that when a player is down hurt, that you show respect and when they get up you clap. I still remember from a few years back at Gretna in the playoffs, we had a kid on the football field down with a broken leg and certain members of the opposing fans yelled the whole time "get him off the field and let's play." A few bad apples can be picked out of every crowd though.

Again, you guys played a great game that could have went either way. And with only one senior on your team, I'm sure next year could be even better for the ladies of Lee.

Gtown:

This was perhaps before your time at Page (3-4 years ago I think it was) and during a baseball game at Page, a Riverheads player got hit where it hurts by a foul ball. They took the correct amount of time to make sure that they were taking care of him, as of course they should have.

So after about ten minutes, a Page fan over along the first base line yelled loud enough for everybody to hear "Get him off the field and let's play ball." The whole place booed him, even including some of your own fans.

The point being that there are bad sports wherever you go. Fortunately they are in the minority. As for the situation you guys are describing, are you saying that the Lee students really made fun of her being hurt or just cheered in general as opposed to being quiet as they should have been?

The incident last night was in poor taste for sure longtimerhsfan... I was embarrassed by it. Agree with gtown that the admin should have stepped in

The student section felt like the injured player was faking the injury as a foul was called on donovan wingfield for what the ref saw as tripping (i think) but it didnt appear that she touched her from my angle, and the student section thought the girl tripped on her own feet... Regardless, she fell and hurt herself, have some class.

Longtime:

Not sure if I was at that game a few years back. But I'll be the first to say that Page has its fair share of bad fans. As do all schools. There's bad apples in every bunch. And I'm don't want to keep harping on these kids. It's as Keith says, the kids yelled at the downed player (who didn't play any more of the game and was carried out of the gym at the end). It's done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT