ADVERTISEMENT

2A Girls Matchups - next round

pizzzzza

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Nov 9, 2001
2A girls Nottoway and Greensville County will be coming to Wise next week to meet Ridgeview and Union.

Match ups TBD

A person that just started following me on Twitter the other day that I am assuming has knowledge of the East region told me that it was a lock that Greensville would beat Nottoway... so assuming that Ridgeview can bet Union for an unprecedented fifth time this season and Wilson Memorial beats Buffalo Gap for the fourth time tomorrow, the projections at this stage look to be something like this...

Ridgeview vs. Nottoway
Buffalo Gap vs. Floyd County
Wilson Memorial vs. Chatham
Union vs. Greensville County

A person that just started following me on Twitter the other day that I am assuming has knowledge of the East region told me that it was a lock that Greensville would beat Nottoway... so assuming that Ridgeview can bet Union for an unprecedented fifth time this season and Wilson Memorial beats Buffalo Gap for the fourth time tomorrow, the projections at this stage look to be something like this...

Ridgeview vs. Nottoway
Buffalo Gap vs. Floyd County
Wilson Memorial vs. Chatham
Union vs. Greensville County
Assuming that these matchups are the ones that will be, Buffalo Gap has the hardest road to the championship IMO... having to likely face Floyd, then Ridgeview... yikes

The stakes are huge for the Wilson/BG game on Saturday, but I think Wilson will again be too much for them. They have had their number but then again, I can remember Stonewall Jackson having Buffalo Gap's number one year, beating them something like 3 times during the year, but Gap bested them in the playoffs and went on to win their 2nd straight state championship. Which reminds me, that stonewall team was really, really good, and if we would have had the same format then that we have had for the past few years, I think they would have played Gap in the state championship.

Assuming that these matchups are the ones that will be, Buffalo Gap has the hardest road to the championship IMO... having to likely face Floyd, then Ridgeview... yikes

The stakes are huge for the Wilson/BG game on Saturday, but I think Wilson will again be too much for them. They have had their number but then again, I can remember Stonewall Jackson having Buffalo Gap's number one year, beating them something like 3 times during the year, but Gap bested them in the playoffs and went on to win their 2nd straight state championship. Which reminds me, that stonewall team was really, really good, and if we would have had the same format then that we have had for the past few years, I think they would have played Gap in the state championship.

Expanding on that.... just two years ago, Gate City and Wise Central girls met five times. Gate City won the first four (two regular season, conference and regional tournament). However, Wise Central won the fifth and final meeting (and most important for obvious reasons) in the state championship game.

Expanding on that.... just two years ago, Gate City and Wise Central girls met five times. Gate City won the first four (two regular season, conference and regional tournament). However, Wise Central won the fifth and final meeting (and most important for obvious reasons) in the state championship game.
That is what I love about this time of year. Didn't Central Wise upset Floyd that year in the tournament? I seem to remember Gate City and Central Wise both being underdogs through that tournament, but my memory is not all that sharp anymore sometimes! I don't get to follow swva hoops as much anymore due to being in Augusta County, but I'm going to subscribe to that newspaper that posts on here from SWVA starting next football season through basketball, to keep up a little better.

I may be a bit behind on the message boards but Wilson at some point lost a key part to their team in Morgan Rowe. It's not really my business why she is no longer on the team but her defense was tremendous. The girls have played well without her obviously but she has been a cog for Wilson.

It's too bad that Floyd and Ridgeview had to play each other in the regional semis - it really should've been a final, not a semifinal, since now it looks like they're going to be in the same half of the state tournament draw as West #1 and West #3 respectively.

Can someone from SWVa this is aware of this scenario please fill me in on how those 2 had to play each other in a semi-final regional? Was it the way things were just set up, or was one of those teams upset;therefore; got a lower regional seeding?

It's too bad that Floyd and Ridgeview had to play each other in the regional semis - it really should've been a final, not a semifinal, since now it looks like they're going to be in the same half of the state tournament draw as West #1 and West #3 respectively.

Can someone from SWVa this is aware of this scenario please fill me in on how those 2 had to play each other in a semi-final regional? Was it the way things were just set up, or was one of those teams upset;therefore; got a lower regional seeding?

I am guessing the East brackets aren't set up in this fashion, but, in 2A West and 1A West, the brackets rotate every year. For instance, last year in the 1A West first round, the Crooked Road conference played the Western Gate. This year, Crooked Road played the Mountain West in the first round. Next year, Crooked Road will play the Cumberland. Years past, I followed Haysi and the 1A ranks. This is my first year following 2A closely, so I am not sure who the Clinch Mountain played in the first round last year, but this year it was the Southern Empire. Next year, it will be either River Run or Courthouse.

Reactions: pizzzzza
pizzzzza, you're right... if Ridgeview and Floyd both win/lose tomorrow, they would possibly meet in the semis. If one wins and one loses, then they could meet in the finals. I just can't see us playing Union again and again and them not eventually getting one over on us. Lol. Union is considered the host of the 2A West tournament, maybe they'll get us tomorrow. Obviously, I would rather it be tomorrow than two weeks from now when it really matters. Lol.

I am guessing the East brackets aren't set up in this fashion, but, in 2A West and 1A West, the brackets rotate every year. For instance, last year in the 1A West first round, the Crooked Road conference played the Western Gate. This year, Crooked Road played the Mountain West in the first round. Next year, Crooked Road will play the Cumberland. Years past, I followed Haysi and the 1A ranks. This is my first year following 2A closely, so I am not sure who the Clinch Mountain played in the first round last year, but this year it was the Southern Empire. Next year, it will be either River Run or Courthouse.
Thank you for explaining that to me - that makes sense.

Otherwise it doesn't make sense to have 2 of the best teams from the region to play before a final, especially if they have the best overall records and/or won their conference regular season and/or tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT