ADVERTISEMENT

2A State Contenders Boys and Girls

Jan 14, 2014
Conference playoffs are underway. Who does everyone believe will be contenders and end up in state playoffs for boys and girls basketball?

Martinsville will probably take it again in 2A. Dan River will give them a strong run.

I think this snow coming in gonna hinder bball practices and it may play a factor in how efficient a team plays in upcoming tourneys.

I have 3 teams that I think are "favorites" to win it all. Of course I'm rooting for Martinsville or Dan River to take it, but it's hard to count out George Mason. They're what? 24-0? That's a pretty darn good season if you ask me. Gotta show them some love too.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
Teams like Union, Graham, and Gate City have a chance to make some noise in the tournament as well. Graham gave Martinsville all they wanted last year and just blew it. I agree Martinsville and Dan River will be tough to beat.....but I wouldn't be so quick to hand them the trophy just yet.

Reactions: AntGZee
Teams like Union, Graham, and Gate City have a chance to make some noise in the tournament as well. Graham gave Martinsville all they wanted last year and just blew it. I agree Martinsville and Dan River will be tough to beat.....but I wouldn't be so quick to hand them the trophy just yet.
You are right Shark. I'm not familiar with any of the team's you just named but one thing you can never do is overlook any opponent. I do remember Graham giving Martinsville a good game last year and I'm also hip that Union has some physical and athletic guys. It won't be a "gimme" for any teams.

Shark you are right. The teams you mentioned should probably be favored over Martinsville since the regional semis and finals are at UVA-Wise this year. The Dogs aren't anywhere near as good as last year and Dan River either. Advocate, don't know why Martinsville and Dan River don't play in bball except that maybe they just don't want to show anything to each other before the playoffs. They play in football but just choose not to play in bball. Would be a big gate that's for sure

Let me throw Page County into the mix. Veteran laden team that is well-coached and knows how to win...and expects to! Coach P. will have his team ready to play as evidenced by the Panthers Conference 36 tourney win this weekend!

Last edited:
Reactions: gtownfencecrew
I do believe if Martinsville plays better team D, then I wouldn't want to play them. I honestly believe that the last week of basketball will hv Martinsville prepared for the playoffs. Name one team in 2A that has played teams as tough as Northside and GW of Danville. Where teams plays is no biggie, to me it's the refs being consistent.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Advocate, don't know why Martinsville and Dan River don't play in bball except that maybe they just don't want to show anything to each other before the playoffs. They play in football but just choose not to play in bball. Would be a big gate that's for sure

What a waste of a good regular season game because both are scared to play each other during the season and "mess up their record."

That would definitely bring a BIG gate.

I can attest for GC since I'm a fan.....if their defense doesn't improve and they don't play more consistently from game to game then they won't be a factor. They put up 100 on Battle....but they gave up 78 to them. Richlands has some good 3 pt shooters.... If they get hot they could put away anyone and Graham from what I understand is just as solid as they were last year. Union has the athletes to play with anyone....thank goodness Gavin and Mitchell can't shoot the ball very well. If they could they would be unstoppable. You just have to worry about them tearing the rim down. Barnette is solid a solid big man for them too....probably second best in SWVA behind Robinette from Honaker.

Mos Def...

latest

Martinsville didn't play in the R&B because they were given a chance to play in the Roy Stanley Memorial game in Roanoke against Northside and they were also suppose to play against STAB at Franklin Co before the Oak Hill-Carlisle game but it got snowed out. They also played Radford home and away, so to play in the R&B would have given them to many games. Decisions made by the AD.

What a waste of a good regular season game because both are scared to play each other during the season and "mess up their record."

Martinsville plays in a district with no other 2A schools, 3 3A schools, 2 4A schools, 1 5A school and 1 6A school. They also regularly play teams like PH-Roanoke and William Fleming. So while a series with DR wouldn't be a bad thing, MHS's schedule certainly isn't set up as if someone is scared to mess up the overall record with a loss.

If GW Danville would take after M-ville they'd be in a better situation on the state level come playoff time. The Dawgs scheduled Radford, STAB, N'side, etc...They don't care the opponent or where the game is being played and so on..That's why they're battle tested come state tourney time. The Dawgs never back down from playing anybody and you have to respect their program for that.

True indeed. That's why I think we're prepared for the playoffs. Who in 2A can claim to playing a tougher schedule than Martinsville? I'm sure there are very good teams out there and I will never underestimate any team.

That schedule is pretty tough. GC played in the Arbys classic in Bristol against Mentor, Ohio and Tift County, GA which were 2 of the top teams in the tournament....plus played bigger Tennessee schools like Sullivan South, Daniel Boone (2x), Tennessee High (3x), etc....and also played a benefit game against 1A Honaker this year as well. It's hard for SWVA teams to play a tough schedule unless they go across the state lines into TN and KY. I remember the days several years back when Gate City used to play some real tough KY teams too like Shelby Valley....those games were electric.

But even after playing all those teams this year I still don't think GC is prepared and playing consistent enough to make a deep push. And if they aren't going to be prepared by now they never will be.

Martinsville plays in a district with no other 2A schools, 3 3A schools, 2 4A schools, 1 5A school and 1 6A school. They also regularly play teams like PH-Roanoke and William Fleming. So while a series with DR wouldn't be a bad thing, MHS's schedule certainly isn't set up as if someone is scared to mess up the overall record with a loss.
Great point and well taken...

Appo has been a football 1st school and i know Martinsville and D.R. is a Bball 1st school. Yes , even with Edmund brothers, they were still bball 1st. So i would expect them to beat us because we have a horrible off season program. We had 5 players ( jv and varsity) that "consistently" played AAU. Many would have played AAU if practice wasnt so far out. Most play with a combined Brookville team.
Our head coach is an asst baseball coach so its hard to get an AAU program jump in Appo. I do knock asst coaches though! Are they just showing up in season for a paycheck? I feel our basketball program has failed these kids in offseason. I dont know where the blame lies but its laying on somebody.

Just took a peek at Gate City's schedule and they look to be pretty competitive but may I ask you Shark, what happened the Tennessee game? 90-31? im just real curious.

There was actually a thread on here about that game actually. THS came out in a zone defense to start the game and GC couldn't have thrown a beach ball in the ocean. Only scored like 5 pts in the first period. 2nd period same situation and within a couple minutes in the 2nd period Coach Vermillion started pulling starters as they were down by maybe 14 or 15 pts and he let everyone play a little that normally doesn't see the court. All the while, THS hit almost every shot they put up. Even if GC had played a perfect game I don't think they would have won.

THS starters made 15 3-pt buckets I think and only missed maybe 3 or 4....the backups missed a few with 4 mins left but even they was hitting almost everything they put up. And im not one to look for excuses but I think it being GCs 4th game in like 5 days they were just give out. (May have been 3 in 4 days) Really wished Vermillion had pushed them though and let them fight through the deficit to see how they would respond. It's a head scratcher when you look at a the win/loss column and see that someone beat a team twice by 7-9 pts each time then lost by 60 the 3rd time. Lol

There was actually a thread on here about that game actually. THS came out in a zone defense to start the game and GC couldn't have thrown a beach ball in the ocean. Only scored like 5 pts in the first period. 2nd period same situation and within a couple minutes in the 2nd period Coach Vermillion started pulling starters as they were down by maybe 14 or 15 pts and he let everyone play a little that normally doesn't see the court. All the while, THS hit almost every shot they put up. Even if GC had played a perfect game I don't think they would have won.

THS starters made 15 3-pt buckets I think and only missed maybe 3 or 4....the backups missed a few with 4 mins left but even they was hitting almost everything they put up. And im not one to look for excuses but I think it being GCs 4th game in like 5 days they were just give out. (May have been 3 in 4 days) Really wished Vermillion had pushed them though and let them fight through the deficit to see how they would respond. It's a head scratcher when you look at a the win/loss column and see that someone beat a team twice by 7-9 pts each time then lost by 60 the 3rd time. Lol
Thanks for the explanation. Unfortunately, games like that happen. GW Danville is a top 4 4a team in the state and they lost to one of the worst teams in the state, Franklin Co, a couple of days ago. Doesn't mean you're a bad team, just the way the ball bounces so to speak.

Appo has been a football 1st school and i know Martinsville and D.R. is a Bball 1st school. Yes , even with Edmund brothers, they were still bball 1st. So i would expect them to beat us because we have a horrible off season program. We had 5 players ( jv and varsity) that "consistently" played AAU. Many would have played AAU if practice wasnt so far out. Most play with a combined Brookville team.
Our head coach is an asst baseball coach so its hard to get an AAU program jump in Appo. I do knock asst coaches though! Are they just showing up in season for a paycheck? I feel our basketball program has failed these kids in offseason. I dont know where the blame lies but its laying on somebody.
Appo has a good program. I remember Kenny Scott and company a couple of years back. They used to come to Dan River and give the Cats all they could handle, which is rare when playing at Dan River. DR probably had one of the better teams of the decade my senior year in 2012 and I recall Appo giving them a solid game. When I say Dan River was good...They were good! Probably one of the best teams NOT to win a state championship. Went 25-0 and lost to Lancaster at the buzzer.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
Thanks for the explanation. Unfortunately, games like that happen. GW Danville is a top 4 4a team in the state and they lost to one of the worst teams in the state, Franklin Co, a couple of days ago. Doesn't mean you're a bad team, just the way the ball bounces so to speak.

I agree.... It happens sometimes! Just hard to imagine a 70 point swing from the previous game. Its almost unexplainable and unheard of haha wasn't sure if it would be a good wake-up call for them or if it would be a complete confidence killer.

I've only seen them have 3 or 4 solid performances all year. The consistency just isnt there week in and week out. If they end up getting it together come tournament time they will be dangerous. The only thing they lack is a true post player. Barnes is 6'6" but he's a shooter that also lives off the dribble drive. Ervin is 6'5 but he's also the exact same type of player as Barnes. So pretty much a very athletic team of guards that have good size. I think the line-up is something like 6'1, 6'2, 6'3, 6'5, 6'6

Appo has a good program. I remember Kenny Scott and company a couple of years back. They used to come to Dan River and give the Cats all they could handle, which is rare when playing at Dan River. DR probably had one of the better teams of the decade my senior year in 2012 and I recall Appo giving them a solid game. When I say Dan River was good...They were good! Probably one of the best teams NOT to win a state championship. Went 25-0 and lost to Lancaster at the buzzer.
That was a team coached by Brantley Shields. After that crop left, shields went to Rustburg and that is where he is now. I have a lot of respect for Shields. He is with them kids all year long! He shows up to all the AAU tourneys. That kenny scott group was a great crop of players.

The head coach we have now been in Appo for 5 season (head coach). I think he said something last week about doing AAU this off season though.

I do take what i said back about "doing it for a paycheck." I just know we could do more in off season to get these guys more prepared. I know all the coaches personally and all are genuine guys and mean well by these kids.

Sounds like Gate City is going to be a hand full with that size. Mavahi starts 5'8", 5'10", 6'0",6'1",6'7". They are some what athletic though, decent quickness, and play pretty good D. Danville, I take it you weren't at the game Friday, about as many athletes on one floor as I've seen in awhile. GW's Brooks is an absolute man among boys out there, good luck to him at Cincinnati next year on the football field.

I think MHS will be just fine no matter who they play. I don't believe Holland can be checked one on one. Someone will have to pick their poison.

GCs size hasn't really helped them at all. They don't utilize it and their defense is flat out nonexistent at times. Anytime they face a solid big man they have trouble stopping the post. They held Unions big man Barnette to 2 pts in the first half the last time they played but they also went into a zone to guard him which they never do and they seen that it works. (GC fans have been screaming this for years) But the 2 guys that played him so well got in foul trouble and Barnette ended up with 19 or 21 pts the second half. Honakers post player Robinette dominated with like 27 or 29 pts against us in the benefit game but GC still managed to win.

I could honestly see Holland hanging 30 on GC if they was to make it that far again. I'd love to see them play again as long as GC was firing on all cylinders because at that point I think it could be an electric game....but if they come out slouchy like they have the past few games then I'm afraid it would be the same result as last time they played, which wasn't even close other than the first period. But this is just my take on it....alot of Devils fans would probably disagree with me. They will never make it far enough to see the likes of Mavahi or Dan River if they keep playing the way they have been.

Sharkfan83, I feel ya pain. MHS's perimeter D is shaky at times. It showed when Radford beat my Bulldawgs by 3. Radford went something like 11-14 behind the arc and yet won 52-49. When Martinsville does play D then they are a very frustrating team to play. Cam Bradley, remember that name cuz he's a pest on D. Holland on the other hand is a mix match nightmare. If a team doesn't play post D, then I can see Holland dropping 30 / 35 points on anyone.

It's a shame to see a team with so much potential just settle for offense and no defense though. Could be a completely different team with a whole new identity.

Martinsville plays D, they just have lapses on the perimeter at times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT