ADVERTISEMENT

3A State Championship Game: Phoebus vs Heritage

Phoebus Fan

VaPreps All Region
Jul 12, 2003
Let’s get some talk going on about the game. Anybody that has seen both teams care to share their opinion? D1 prospects from Heritage or just players to look forward to seeing?

Also is that website streaming the state title game? I know most Phoebus fans thought game was going to be at W&M again and probably won’t make trip to Lynchburg.

Don’t know anything about Phoebus, but Heritage has 2 Guys that have at least 1 D1 offer:
Chris Megginson(DB/WR) - offers from Elon, Georgia State, Western Illinois, UVA Wise(DII), Liberty,VMI. Liberty commit. Had 167 yards 2 TD’s and 2 interceptions Saturday.

QB Jabari Blake - Has D1 offers from Morgan State and Hampton. Accounted for 5 TD’s last Saturday(3 passing, 2 Rushing). Seminole District offensive player of the year, and Region 3C offensive player of the year.

Senior LB Vontae Pannell - Has at least one DII offer from Concord University. Seminole District Defensive Player of the year and Region 3C Defensive Player of the year.

Lots of talent offers or no offers.
Watch out for Trae’Sean Hall and Krystian Rivera at the defensive ends. Brian Trent at corner, Kyron Thomas at safety.

Good running back in KJ Vaughan who has gotten hot in the playoffs.

On offensive line that isn’t big, but can move and is very physical. They get the job done.

After watching film on Phoebus last night there really small up front both sides of the ball Blake will have a field day running all over them ! Be prepared to see a lot of him This sat .

Norcome game they went with more run oriented offense mite do to the field conditions then last week they went to spread where they have a lot of good receivers ,that’s phoebus best bet is to use your athletes is space in spread offense and on the field turf if they want a shot to win there not going to be able to line up like norcome game and run down heritage Throat . QB is short and they have to roll him out a lot but good arm . I think Heritage by two 2td’s

Norcome game they went with more run oriented offense mite do to the field conditions then last week they went to spread where they have a lot of good receivers ,that’s phoebus best bet is to use your athletes is space in spread offense and on the field turf if they want a shot to win there not going to be able to line up like norcome game and run down heritage Throat . QB is short and they have to roll him out a lot but good arm . I think Heritage by two 2td’s

We shall see. Phoebus was able to run and throw on Lake Taylor and probably should have won that game. Lake Taylor is playing for the D4 Championship. Phoebus has played and Beaten D6, D5 and D4 teams with the only loss coming by Lake Taylor 21 - 17. Lake Taylor has way more athletes than Heritage, and is bigger and faster than Heritage in my opinion. The same could be said about Norcom, who Phoebus has already beat. I don't know who wins, but Phoebus has alot of athletes on both sides of the ball, has played better teams in different divisions and has a top rated defense. Lake Taylor needed their last drive and a controversial call to beat them. To say Heritage by two TD's is bold. Its your opinion, but we will see. Last year Heritage talked the same way about how they couldnt be stopped, Elijah this and Elijah that, but result was Heritage got beat by Hopewell. I can't wait for this game. Good luck to both teams!

After watching film on Phoebus last night there really small up front both sides of the ball Blake will have a field day running all over them ! Be prepared to see a lot of him This sat .

Everybody that Phoebus has played was bigger than them. Phoebus has played bigger division schools with multiple athletes. Heritage is a good team, but nothing Phoebus hasn't seen before. We will see!

Reactions: wikki
We shall see. Phoebus was able to run and throw on Lake Taylor and probably should have won that game. Lake Taylor is playing for the D4 Championship. Phoebus has played and Beaten D6, D5 and D4 teams with the only loss coming by Lake Taylor 21 - 17. Lake Taylor has way more athletes than Heritage, and is bigger and faster than Heritage in my opinion. The same could be said about Norcom, who Phoebus has already beat. I don't know who wins, but Phoebus has alot of athletes on both sides of the ball, has played better teams in different divisions and has a top rated defense. Lake Taylor needed their last drive and a controversial call to beat them. To say Heritage by two TD's is bold. Its your opinion, but we will see. Last year Heritage talked the same way about how they couldnt be stopped, Elijah this and Elijah that, but result was Heritage got beat by Hopewell. I can't wait for this game. Good luck to both teams!

This will be a good game. Phoebus is looking to get back to their championship ways and Heritage is trying to get the sour taste out of their mouths from last year. Hopewell was smaller than Heritage last year in the trenches and they won. Whoever can establish the run game will come out victorious...imo.

Maybe if heritage had kicked a field goal a time or two last year they may have won. Instead Bradley's big ego went for the td on a 4th down while inside the 25.

Let’s get some talk going on about the game. Anybody that has seen both teams care to share their opinion? D1 prospects from Heritage or just players to look forward to seeing?

Also is that website streaming the state title game? I know most Phoebus fans thought game was going to be at W&M again and probably won’t make trip to Lynchburg.

Having seen both teams, I think this game will be very similar to last years C3 title game. Low scoring with a few big plays on offense. Turnovers will determine the winner. Both teams are athletic and run to the ball very well on defense. Offensively, both teams want to establish the run, control the line of scrimmage and wear their opponent down. Both teams have legit #1 WRs with Megginson and Hargreaves. Heritage QB is slightly better passer, both have been inaccurate at times though. Phoebus QB is quicker, more elusive runner while Blake is a physical downhill runner. I'd be surprised if either team ran away with this one. Phoebus has never lost in the state championship (5-0) while Heritage is 2-3 in state title games. It's too close to call. 20-14 will be the final score.

Maybe if heritage had kicked a field goal a time or two last year they may have won. Instead Bradley's big ego went for the td on a 4th down while inside the 25.
No gaurantee they make it and also possibly blocked. That game put a chip on their shoulder for this year..imo.

Phoebus is 7-0 in state championship games.
PHSBlue&Gold I'm ready for this game. I equate Blake to Kecoughtan's QB. Similar player styles. I am impressed with the Heritage team as a whole. I believe Phoebus has played better competition and played in close games (Woodside D6, Lake Taylor D4, Norcom D3). I'm pulling for Phoebus, but just because I am, i'm not going to say they will win. It wont be easy and to do so, they will have to play their game: Great defense, efficient offense and special teams. For someone to look at film of Phoebus and think Heritage is two TDs ahead of them is crazy. I bet coach Bradley doesn't think that and neither does coach Blunt.

No gaurantee they make it and also possibly blocked. That game put a chip on their shoulder for this year..imo.
Catchtds, Phoebus had the better team lastyear against Hopewell but they lost. Phoebus has a chip too, thats why I think it will be a good game. Heritage relied too much on La La lastyear in the title game. It will take a team effort to beat Phoebus. Ask Lake Taylor (In the D4 Title game). No disrespect to them (Great Team and I will root for the Titans to win this Sat). Heritage will need more than Blake and the wr to win.

It’s basically a home game for Heritage I excpect a huge crowd for Heritage Sat will Phoebus bring anybody ?!!

Phoebus fan. Here you go- Va State Championship Live: https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/

Good I love a good atmosphere !!! Kids make it to this point I always feel sorry for kids or teams when nobody shows up to support them .

HokieTDTech, do you really Heritage is better than Lake Taylor? They play in the D4 championship game. Please go watch their film. Phoebus played them evenly and shouldve won that game. LT is way bigger, has more athletes and is faster than Heritage in my opinion. I'm asking because you said Heritage by two touchdowns. I like a good atmosphere too, and it will be with multiple teams playing for the championship. Regardless of who shows up, the fans can't play for their team. I just hope both teams play their best and the game is called fairly.

Reactions: HokieTDTech
I feel yea !! Culpepper ran wild cat or whatever u call it formation the hole first half and they drove all the way down the field and they where slow Heritage going to look at that all u going to see QB run it with unbalanced out of shot gun and pick up big chunks of yards . With a lot of speed and power . I could be wrong but Phoebus just looks undersized . Tape can full yea a lot of times and could be different leval of competition out that way.Teams they play could be really good or not that good and make a team look better then they Actually Are . Should be a good game sat . We played Heritage twice this year . I don’t think they are as good as last years team .

National USA Heritage 759 Phoebus 1,922
Va Heritage 12. Phoebus 40
3A Heritage 1. Phoebus 5

State and National Rankings

I feel yea !! Culpepper ran wild cat or whatever u call it formation the hole first half and they drove all the way down the field and they where slow Heritage going to look at that all u going to see QB run it with unbalanced out of shot gun and pick up big chunks of yards . With a lot of speed and power . I could be wrong but Phoebus just looks undersized . Tape can full yea a lot of times and could be different leval of competition out that way.Teams they play could be really good or not that good and make a team look better then they Actually Are . Should be a good game sat . We played Heritage twice this year . I don’t think they are as good as last years team .
Heritage will have to be balanced to win in my opinion and don't turn the ball over. That's the only way LT won, even if it was on the last drive of their game. Watch LT's vs Phoebus game here:

Best opponents for heritage would’ve been lord botetourt, glass and northside, they’ve seen a variety of offenses and calibers of athletes. You won’t get more physical than the trench play of LB and glass and north side both had athletes all over the field. The caveat being these kids felt the heart break a year ago of this game.

Phoebus isn’t the 4peat phantoms but they still play hardnose and athlete vs athlete football. They won’t be afraid of whom they see lined up but can they out execute heritage for 4 quarters will be the determining factor. The 757 teams give you more of an athletic test but Staunton river proved they can be pushed around in the trenches.

Heritage 34 Phoebus 32

National USA Heritage 759 Phoebus 1,922
Va Heritage 12. Phoebus 40
3A Heritage 1. Phoebus 5

State and National Rankings

Who's rankings are these? Phoebus has been 1 or 2 in 3A all season by preps. I hope these rankings aren't your determining factor because no way in hell there are 39 teams in VA better than Phoebus

Best opponents for heritage would’ve been lord botetourt, glass and northside, they’ve seen a variety of offenses and calibers of athletes. You won’t get more physical than the trench play of LB and glass and north side both had athletes all over the field. The caveat being these kids felt the heart break a year ago of this game.

Phoebus isn’t the 4peat phantoms but they still play hardnose and athlete vs athlete football. They won’t be afraid of whom they see lined up but can they out execute heritage for 4 quarters will be the determining factor. The 757 teams give you more of an athletic test but Staunton river proved they can be pushed around in the trenches.

Heritage 34 Phoebus 32
Phoebus is not Staunton River. Staunton River is a up and coming program that has found success. Phoebus is a 7 time State Champion that has a tradition of winning, especially big games. I don't know who wins but we shall see come Saturday. One thing is for sure. Phoebus will not give up 34 points...lol Phoebus only gave up 21 points to Lake taylor, the most given up all year against an LT team who is in the D4 Championship game. LT was their only loss this year: 21-17. To demonstrate how good LT is, they are the only team to beat D6 Freedom who plays in the D6 Championship on Saturday. LT beat Freedom by more than two TDs and scored 42 on them. Phoebus hasn't given up more than 30 points since the 2007 Stonebridge Semifinals game. If Phoebus score 32 points they are going to win the game.

Well in all fairness, Elijah was not stopped. He had over 200 yards rushing in that game. Lack of passing game is what killed Heritage last year. They are much better passing this year than last year. They're an overall better team. Having seen Heritage several times and Phoebus against Culpeper and Norcom, I think Heritage is the more complete team. Whether they win or not is a different story.

Having seen both teams, I think this game will be very similar to last years C3 title game. Low scoring with a few big plays on offense. Turnovers will determine the winner. Both teams are athletic and run to the ball very well on defense. Offensively, both teams want to establish the run, control the line of scrimmage and wear their opponent down. Both teams have legit #1 WRs with Megginson and Hargreaves. Heritage QB is slightly better passer, both have been inaccurate at times though. Phoebus QB is quicker, more elusive runner while Blake is a physical downhill runner. I'd be surprised if either team ran away with this one. Phoebus has never lost in the state championship (5-0) while Heritage is 2-3 in state title games. It's too close to call. 20-14 will be the final score.
Corrrection, Heritage is 1-3 in the state title game. The only win was my senior year there :D...I had to throw that in there. I'm pulling for Heritage but is nice being the ONLY team to win a football state championship at Heritage.

Norcome beat LT by 20 ? Then phoebus beat Norcome in 3 ot’s but lost to LT crazy stuff , you really can’t pay attention to the scores it’s all about the matchup‘s .
But based on film you saw of Phoebus you have Heritage by two TD's. Phoebus matches up well with you guys. Phoebus is smaller than everybody they have played. Phoebus might by smaller than Heritage, but I believe they are faster and have more athletes. We will see. Everybody said the same thing when Phoebus played Dematha a few years back. They said Phoebus was too small, Phoebus will get blown out. Dematha found out early that wasn't how it was going to play out. I respect Heritage, but I'm not seeing a blow out!
Well in all fairness, Elijah was not stopped. He had over 200 yards rushing in that game. Lack of passing game is what killed Heritage last year. They are much better passing this year than last year. They're an overall better team. Having seen Heritage several times and Phoebus against Culpeper and Norcom, I think Heritage is the more complete team. Whether they win or not is a different story.
Again, Heritage talked about how they couldnt be stopped. It was Elijah this and Elijah that. No one cares if he rushed for 200 yards in a championship game. All that matters is who won. We will see in three days who has the best team. That's why they play the games, and its in y'alls city. Lets see what happens. I can't wait for this game. People can discount what Phoebus has done, and talk up their team but again they will settle it on Sat. If Phoebus wins, please don't disappear.

Last edited:
Phoebus is not Staunton River. Staunton River is a up and coming program that has found success. Phoebus is a 7 time State Champion that has a tradition of winning, especially big games. I don't know who wins but we shall see come Saturday. One thing is for sure. Phoebus will not give up 34 points...lol Phoebus only gave up 21 points to Lake taylor, the most given up all year against an LT team who is in the D4 Championship game. LT was their only loss this year: 21-17. To demonstrate how good LT is, they are the only team to beat D6 Freedom who plays in the D6 Championship on Saturday. LT beat Freedom by more than two TDs and scored 42 on them. Phoebus hasn't given up more than 30 points since the 2007 Stonebridge Semifinals game. If Phoebus score 32 points they are going to win the game.

The Staunton river reference is about how Phoebus could be pushed around for 4 quarters if you establish the run. Staunton river has some success with long passes but they buttered their bread that game running the ball consistently for 4 quarters.

Phoebus has tradition and history but these kids weren’t apart of that era, this is the first phantom team to make it out of their side since dropping to 3A

Again, all do respect to Staunton River and their program. Phoebus can run it and pass it with three cabaple backs that can catch it as well. They can run spread too with four wrs that can go get it as well. Both teams match up with each other well. Heritage is bigger and Phoebus is faster. Phoebus has more athletes as well but that doesnt equate to a win. Whoever executes the best and doesn't turn the ball over will have the best chance to win. I think this is a close game that will be determined in the 4th qtr on Heritages home field.

The Staunton river reference is about how Phoebus could be pushed around for 4 quarters if you establish the run. Staunton river has some success with long passes but they buttered their bread that game running the ball consistently for 4 quarters.

Phoebus has tradition and history but these kids weren’t apart of that era, this is the first phantom team to make it out of their side since dropping to 3A
It really doesn't matter what era the kids are in. This group is in the Championship game. Every team is different year in and year out. No one said Phoebus will dominate or win but they will show up and play hard. All that matters is what happens on Saturday. This is a young junior led Phoebus team. The future is bright! Btw..didn't someone put up 61 on Heritage this year? I'm just saying. I don't think that wouldve happen to last years squad, but we are talking about eras.

It really doesn't matter what era the kids are in. This group is in the Championship game. Every team is different year in and year out. No one said Phoebus will dominate or win but they will show up and play hard. All that matters is what happens on Saturday. This is a young junior led Phoebus team. The future is bright! Btw..didn't someone put up 61 on Heritage this year? I'm just saying. I don't think that wouldve happen to last years squad, but we are talking about eras.

Heritage vs JF has been a track meet both years, 48 this year and 38 last year in games decided by 14 points total. Won by 4 last year and 10 this year
61 - 26 L to Northside in week 2 or 3.

I also misspoke SRHS and PHS didn’t play, they played blackburg and magna vista when they made it to the semis therefore this matchup will be similar to what they’ve seen from the west in the 3A era.

Ok so I’ve watched 2 of Heritage games and I keep reading how small Phoebus is but Heritage is the same size...I’m confused. This game will be a good one from what I’ve seen.

I honestly think if Phoebus comes in to the game focused and prepared they win by 3-10. Phoebus slept on 3A as a whole since we have been in it and those first 3 years have developed them into a focused program. Can’t wait for Saturday.

Reactions: VolNation85
Good Luck to both teams !! Safe travels to the game ! I’m hoping if I’m going to sit out in the cold it’s going to be a classic lol !!

They need to support each other LT and Phoebus

Last edited:
Reactions: HokieTDTech
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT