ADVERTISEMENT

3A West playoff thoughts....

Aug 12, 2016
Seminole/Dogwood
West
#10 Blacksburg @ #6 Heritage- Bruins have been lighting up the scoreboard the last few weeks showing that home field advantage means little to them, and feature one of the fastest running backs to be found. Heritage counters with a very good rb themselves. If anyone knows about Blacksburg you would think it would be Coach Torrance the Pioneer D coordinator. It should be a spread offense light up the scoreboard kind of game. They might even burn out the light bulbs trying to keep up. Who ever wins goes East next week......which will be a tough task

#4 Staunton River @ #1 Rustburg- This is the kind of game you get to the laundry early and wash your big boy britches. Two very physical offenses that love to ground and pound. The Rustburg defense is good, but they face a offense that has exploded this season. The Golden Eagles have scored at least 41 or more points in every game but one. Can the Devils limit "The Wing" to "One Dang Inch"? The winner gets to host a game in December. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Reactions: aimhighveteran
Still find it interesting- If the playoffs were done by seeding instead of brackets these two games would be totally changed.

#10 Blacksburg @ #1 Rustburg
#6 Heritage @ #4 Staunton River

I am a fan of 16 teams in each of the two divisions, I just find that seeding part worth note.

Reactions: aimhighveteran
West
#10 Blacksburg @ #6 Heritage- Bruins have been lighting up the scoreboard the last few weeks showing that home field advantage means little to them, and feature one of the fastest running backs to be found. Heritage counters with a very good rb themselves. If anyone knows about Blacksburg you would think it would be Coach Torrance the Pioneer D coordinator. It should be a spread offense light up the scoreboard kind of game. They might even burn out the light bulbs trying to keep up. Who ever wins goes East next week......which will be a tough task

#4 Staunton River @ #1 Rustburg- This is the kind of game you get to the laundry early and wash your big boy britches. Two very physical offenses that love to ground and pound. The Rustburg defense is good, but they face a offense that has exploded this season. The Golden Eagles have scored at least 41 or more points in every game but one. Can the Devils limit "The Wing" to "One Dang Inch"? The winner gets to host a game in December. It just doesn't get any better than that.
I'm taking Staunton River in this one

West

I'm taking Blackburg over Heritage. I bet Blackburg will have more fans than Heritage. Heritage has least attendance of fans than anyone

If the Devils can slow down the single wing they have a chance. I think they can score on offense but getting stops will be key. Rustburg will need more community support this week because SR will bring a crowd. I'm thinking SR will be a too much 42-28

Blacksburg is hitting on all cylinders. Behind David Heritage will just keep coming. High scores in this one. 42-41 Pioneers

I also am a fan of 16 teams in each division and rank. Not a huge fan of the brackets either. Straight line seeding is easy enough. The road to the finals is one day away

I have watched Rustburg all year. The qb throwing motion is unique but effective. I think they can pass on SR. They want to run first but can set up the pass. The Eagles offense can be slowed but it will take a group effort. Their backfield is very very good. I have nothing but praise for Overstreet and Tester both are the real deal.
There are three phases to this game offense defense and special teams. The SR kicking game is not good. Maybe that will be the key factor
I like Rustburg to show they are the cardiac kids again 38-32

Reactions: newleather
I'm taking Blackburg over Heritage. I bet Blackburg will have more fans than Heritage. Heritage has least attendance of fans than anyone
I think two things play into the lower attendance. The city schools are both basketball first and while city stadium is really nice it's also really spread out and large. The only time I've seen it close to packed is the city rivalry game.

I would normally agree and you are probably right. However, there might be more Heritage "fans" than usual sense Rustburg is the only other Seminole team still playing. I know a lot of Glass and Brookville fans will attend and probably sit on Heritage side thus, appearing to be Heritage "fans.;

I think two things play into the lower attendance. The city schools are both basketball first and while city stadium is really nice it's also really spread out and large. The only time I've seen it close to packed is the city rivalry game.
I would challenge that theory of both being "basketball first." Heritage has always had a more than competitive basketball team but I wouldn't say they are a "basketball first" school. Glass on the other hand has been a "basketball first" school for about the last 10 years (maybe longer) but, the culture is definitely changing there. Coach Woody and the rest of the football staff have done an excellent job of changing the culture and mindset of the Glass community.

Reactions: Renaissance man
I would challenge that theory of both being "basketball first." Heritage has always had a more than competitive basketball team but I wouldn't say they are a "basketball first" school. Glass on the other hand has been a "basketball first" school for about the last 10 years (maybe longer) but, the culture is definitely changing there. Coach Woody and the rest of the football staff have done an excellent job of changing the culture and mindset of the Glass community.
I agree that both city football coaches are doing a great job. It just seems the fan base for football isn't quite there. They have decent draws but not as much as the other Seminole teams. I also agree that there will be more support tomorrow for Rustburg and Heritage since they are the only two from the Seminole left.

Having been to city stadium and both city basketball games several times you are right. They can pack the house for basketball.

Like both road teams in these matchups. Believe the winner scores at least 40+
Now having said that watch for defenses to breakout. Lol
No pinball games in 3A says a purist but D coordinators stayed up late this week.

Last edited:
Perfect weather for game day. Congrats to all teams still getting the chance to play one more time this season. 24 total teams will have their season end today or tomorrow. 24 others will keep the dream alive. Good luck to all and stay injury free as we hit the final stretch run. Should be thrilling games all around as the best of the best faceoff

how many state championships has HHS been to in football? How many in basketball? How do you get fans out to the games?

Heritage lost in the states in basketball in early 2000s to Greensville Co I think, 1 semi and 1 final back to back
Same core group of football players won one football title in 2002
Then last title game lost to briar woods in 2013

Heritage lost in the states in basketball in early 2000s to Greensville Co I think, 1 semi and 1 final back to back

football...what about 98 runner up? and then the state title under Jones? VOL help me out on the year for that one...seems to me more final appearances, more championships, and thus more success in football, so why is it considered bball school instead of FB?

Reactions: VolNation85
football...what about 98 runner up? and then the state title under Jones? VOL help me out on the year for that one...seems to me more final appearances, more championships, and thus more success in football, so why is it considered bball school instead of FB?
I think Jones won the 2002 title. Believe football has more state appearances than basketball.

how many state championships has HHS been to in football? How many in basketball? How do you get fans out to the games?
HHS football has played in two state championships, boys basketball has never made a state championship. Bball lost to Greensville in the final four two years in a row, 2004 & 2005.

The 2004 and 2005 bball teams that lost to Greensville only had two guys on the team that were on the 2002 football championship team. Wayne Ford and Chris Cook were sophomores that were pulled up at the end of jv season but neither played much on the championship football team. The rest of the guys from the basketball team never played football.

Heritage was Division 4 runner-up to Spotsylvania in 1997. The Pioneers lost in the Region III title game in '98. They won Div. 4 in '02, as I think someone stated above.

Like both road teams in these matchups. Believe the winner scores at least 40+
Now having said that watch for defenses to breakout. Lol
No pinball games in 3A says a purist but D coordinators stayed up late this week.

I just missed the score but gic
The 2004 and 2005 bball teams that lost to Greensville only had two guys on the team that were on the 2002 football championship team. Wayne Ford and Chris Cook were sophomores that were pulled up at the end of jv season but neither played much on the championship football team. The rest of the guys from the basketball team never played football.

Are those guys Pierre Penn and Don Alexander?

I have watched Rustburg all year. The qb throwing motion is unique but effective. I think they can pass on SR. They want to run first but can set up the pass. The Eagles offense can be slowed but it will take a group effort. Their backfield is very very good. I have nothing but praise for Overstreet and Tester both are the real deal.
There are three phases to this game offense defense and special teams. The SR kicking game is not good. Maybe that will be the key factor
I like Rustburg to show they are the cardiac kids again 38-32

I went to this game. I thought SR was better team by far . Only weakness I saw on SR was their pass defense. Rustburg QB was not as good of a passer as I figured he would be, based on what I had heard.

Does SR play winner of hopewell game? When do the 3a east teams play? Not seeing any scores for those 2 games

Does SR play winner of hopewell game? When do the 3a east teams play? Not seeing any scores for those 2 games

Shades...Hopewell won today 44-21 over Brentsville district and Phoebus won 21-0 over Lakeland. So now the final 4 cross bracket and Blacksburg travels to Phoebus and Hopewell travels to Staunton River.

Looks like hopewell will give up some points. They gave up 63 to dinwiddie. SR scores look more like basketball season scores. Hopewell struggled with lord botetourt last year, i say they really struggle this year. SR wins by a lot.

Hopewell does struggle with the run. They lost to 4a Powhatan, 4a Dinwiddie, and 6aThomas Dale (three playoff teams) and all three pounded the rock on them.

To quote Lee Corso "not so fast". Hopewell has a 4 star running back Ronnie Walker, two sound quarterbacks and three very good receivers. Based on what I have read about SR's secondary this could be another track meet.

Have no clue who will win, but dont think Hopewell will get blown out. SR will likely wear them down and win, but Hopewell is balanced enough to keep it close.

I watched the Hopewell Brentsville game (my son plays for Brentsville). The big difference in the game was the O-line and D-line.

Brentsville has always been undersized up front and Hopewell's line was way bigger than Brentsville on both sides.

On defense Brentsville just could not get off the blocks and stop the run or put pressure on the QB consistently. On offense they could not open holes. They did O.K. on pass blocking, but Brentsville just could not get really get their run game really going and could only do so much with their passing game.

I have not seen SR, but I think the game will boil down to whose line is better, not who has the better skill players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT