ADVERTISEMENT

3C Boys

blackknight_pride

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 27, 2016
Harrisonburg
#8 Turner Ashby @ #1 Spotswood

This would be my upset pick if there will be one. Spotswood beat TA by 9 and then 7. It's hard to beat a good team three times. However, Spotswood has some great players and is a fantastic program. I also don't think TA has beaten them in years so the Blazers very well could come out and blitz them. My gut just tells me TA will give them all they can handle. Spotswood -7.5

#5 Charlottesville @ #4 Heritage Lynchburg

Game of the day for me. Similar teams with similar records. Charlottesville hasn't been healthy all year but has shown flashes of excellence, beating EC Glass and crushing Wilson by 29 when healthy. Also boasts a 30 point loss to Albemarle among other strange things. Heritage put it together to end the regular season. I do think the Pioneers could very well blitz Charlottesville if the Black Knights do not show up, which is very possible. If they do, however, I think this will be a fantastic game between two teams that have the potential to win the region IMO. Heritage -4.5

#6 Broadway @ #3 LCA

Unless LCA comes out real flat, I have the Bulldogs by 15+. Broadway has some good playmakers but LCA is too disciplined and too talented to let this one slip away. When hot, the Bulldogs are the best team in the region. LCA -12

#7 Fluvanna @ #2 Wilson Memorial

Wilson has been an enigma this year, beating Spotswood and Charlottesville early and then losing two late season head scratchers to Fort Defiance and Stuarts Draft. Fluvanna has shown some good promise this year and I think they will come ready to play. The Jefferson this year was extremely good and I think Fluvanna will pull this one off. Wilson -3.5

Spotswood is made up of mostly freshmen and sophomores…I think we’ll see a different version of them in the post season than people saw in December and January. TA can shoot the lights out though so if they get hot, it could be close. I’ll take SHS by 15.

Cville over HHS by 10.

I look for LCA to be close at half but for them to pull away late against Broadway. LCA by 17.

Wilson may have peaked too early, looking down as of late. I’ll take Fluvanna in the upset by 6.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
#8 Turner Ashby @ #1 Spotswood

This would be my upset pick if there will be one. Spotswood beat TA by 9 and then 7. It's hard to beat a good team three times. However, Spotswood has some great players and is a fantastic program. I also don't think TA has beaten them in years so the Blazers very well could come out and blitz them. My gut just tells me TA will give them all they can handle. Spotswood -7.5

#5 Charlottesville @ #4 Heritage Lynchburg

Game of the day for me. Similar teams with similar records. Charlottesville hasn't been healthy all year but has shown flashes of excellence, beating EC Glass and crushing Wilson by 29 when healthy. Also boasts a 30 point loss to Albemarle among other strange things. Heritage put it together to end the regular season. I do think the Pioneers could very well blitz Charlottesville if the Black Knights do not show up, which is very possible. If they do, however, I think this will be a fantastic game between two teams that have the potential to win the region IMO. Heritage -4.5

#6 Broadway @ #3 LCA

Unless LCA comes out real flat, I have the Bulldogs by 15+. Broadway has some good playmakers but LCA is too disciplined and too talented to let this one slip away. When hot, the Bulldogs are the best team in the region. LCA -12

#7 Fluvanna @ #2 Wilson Memorial

Wilson has been an enigma this year, beating Spotswood and Charlottesville early and then losing two late season head scratchers to Fort Defiance and Stuarts Draft. Fluvanna has shown some good promise this year and I think they will come ready to play. The Jefferson this year was extremely good and I think Fluvanna will pull this one off. Wilson -3.5
Heritage beat Charlottesville tonight, 71-65, in a highly competitive game. Pioneers came out hot, made some early 3s and led 13-4 midway through the 1st. Kyle Ferguson and Darius Brown led the way scoring early. Charlottesville closed it to 4 by the end of the quarter and took the lead early 2nd. Heritage faceguarded our shooter, Aidan Yates, holding him scoreless on two shot attempts 1st half. CVille still led 33-30 at half with Keyshawn Hill and Polo Hill leading the scoring.

Both teams picked up the pace in the 2nd half, which really caused the whistles to get going. Both teams were in the bonus with 9 fouls each with just over a minute left in the 3rd. Cville led the entire quarter but never by more than 5, led 48-45 going to 4th. CHS leading scorer Keyshawn Hill was whistled for his 4th foul a few seconds into the 4th quarter, he went to the bench and Heritage went on 7-0 run over the next few possessions. This was the difference and turning point. The two teams continued to trade punches and FTs throughout the 4th until the 2 minute mark. Tied at 60, Ferguson got a huge and 1 on a drive to put them up 3. Heritage made enough FTs from there to hold off CHS. Ferguson really asserted himself in the 2nd half once he realized how the game was being called. HHS went to pick and roll and he proceeded to penetrate and finish, draw a foul or both much of the 2nd half. Wouldn't be surprised if he had 30. Keyshawn and Polo probably both had 20+, boys really came to play.

Game was within a possession or two for all but the first few minutes. I'm interested to see what the rebound totals were, felt like Heritage killed us on the offensive glass. Heritage taking away our shooter was huge, our other two scorers both did a great job. Ferguson and big #33 pretty much muscled their way to the basket the entire 4th and made their FTs. The region is wide open. I still like LCA but Heritage can certainly win this thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: blackknight_pride
I told everyone 3 weeks ago when preps ranked wilson they were not that good..... They were sqeaking by average to below average 1A and 2A teams

It wasn't just gap -- it was the whole weak district -- If you are a good 3A team that will do damage in regionals/state you have to dominate on occasion average teams in 1A and 2A.

lost to draft and fort in close games (non playoff teams)
barely beat riverheads who got bounced in first round of 1A.

It wasn't just gap -- it was the whole weak district -- If you are a good 3A team that will do damage in regionals/state you have to dominate on occasion average teams in 1A and 2A.

lost to draft and fort in close games (non playoff teams)
barely beat riverheads who got bounced in first round of 1A.

They did beat Spotswood who is the #1 seed in 3C.

Wilson beat Spotswood early in the year, they are a very different team now. Those young guys have grown a lot - I was very impressed with their last few games.

I’ll take Spotswood by 8 tonight and LCA by 10.

Kudos to the Blazers. They were 8-6 after Christmas, now are 18-6 with a District and Region title. The freshmen and sophomores have really grown up over the last month - two freshmen in double figures last night. The future is bright for Spotswood.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT