4A East 3. Chancellor vs. 6. Powhatan

Who wins?

• Chancellor

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Powhatan

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think this game will be close unless Powhatan is able to run all over Chancellor, but Powhatan is always "well coached", so who knows? They gave Briar Woods a scare in 2011 when everyone expected a massacre. Chancellor and Powhatan haven't played each other since 2008 I believe, and Chancellor runs a different style of offense with different style players than back then.

I am going to take Powhatan here... Gotta be an upset somewhere in the POD.
I think they are battle tested and had a big win against Hopewell.
Can't see Dinwiddie or EV losing and Louisa vs Monacan wouldn't really be an upset either way. Indians move on.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
I don't think this game will be close unless Powhatan is able to run all over Chancellor, but Powhatan is always "well coached", so who knows? They gave Briar Woods a scare in 2011 when everyone expected a massacre. Chancellor and Powhatan haven't played each other since 2008 I believe, and Chancellor runs a different style of offense with different style players than back then.

Last time Chancellor played Powhatan was 2009. In the last 17 seasons they have played each other 4 times. Twice in regular season and twice in the playoffs. They have split those games 2-2. Each team has won the game when it was played on their field. Thats just history. It doesn't predict who will win this Friday. This will be a hard fought game, but I do not believe Chancellor will be denied.

Reactions: mbonape1
Last time Chancellor played Powhatan was 2009. In the last 17 seasons they have played each other 4 times. Twice in regular season and twice in the playoffs. They have split those games 2-2. Each team has won the game when it was played on their field. Thats just history. It doesn't predict who will win this Friday. This will be a hard fought game, but I do not believe Chancellor will be denied.
I remember the year Powhatan was up huge and chancellor stormed back and won wow what a game

I honestly am not expecting a blow out here. I am not impressed by the win over Hopewell. To me, if 4A teams are being judged worthy for beating a teams that was behind 63-0 to Dinwiddie in the third quarter, then I don't think anyone has any chance at the Generals. The fact that Chancellor beat Massaponax, however, really makes me take note.

So why am I sold on it being fairly close? Defense. I like Powhatan's defense a lot and I think they can keep the Indians in the game. In the end I look for a final of Chancellor 22, Powhatan 12.

Reactions: mbonape1
I honestly am not expecting a blow out here. I am not impressed by the win over Hopewell. To me, if 4A teams are being judged worthy for beating a teams that was behind 63-0 to Dinwiddie in the third quarter, then I don't think anyone has any chance at the Generals. The fact that Chancellor beat Massaponax, however, really makes me take note.

So why am I sold on it being fairly close? Defense. I like Powhatan's defense a lot and I think they can keep the Indians in the game. In the end I look for a final of Chancellor 22, Powhatan 12.
Does Powhatan have a db that can cover Jenkins?

I saw Percy Harvin lose when he was in high school, I watched the Vick brothers never even make the playoffs. A good coach can handle a superstar if they've got decent talent.
Powhatan needs to keep it close into the 3rd/4th qtrs. If they get down by 14+ early, they're in trouble.

Reactions: OCBoy
I saw Percy Harvin lose when he was in high school, I watched the Vick brothers never even make the playoffs. A good coach can handle a superstar if they've got decent talent.
Chancellor can put up points faster than any team Powhatan has played this year so they will have to stay disciplined and put pressure on the QB and not let him burn you with his feet either

And how is OG Charger these days? That was a wild game! Two separate games played within the span of four quarters. Powhatan won the first half 28-6 and Chancellor won the second 36-3. Final 42-31 Chancellor. Took three days for my Bp to come down!!!! BTW ... the Indians are wearing red helmets these days.

And how is OG Charger these days? That was a wild game! Two separate games played within the span of four quarters. Powhatan won the first half 28-6 and Chancellor won the second 36-3. Final 42-31 Chancellor. Took three days for my Bp to come down!!!! BTW ... the Indians are wearing red helmets these days.
Powhatan's helmets are orange. No red in the color scheme whatsoever always been......Roll Orange and Black. Good luck to both squads.

Reactions: OCBoy and mbonape1
great game Chancellor Fan, however the greatest Chancellor victory of all time is labeled simply 10-7. 1989 upset of #1 ranked Courtland. not sure if you were around then

Reactions: 7time
great game Chancellor Fan, however the greatest Chancellor victory of all time is labeled simply 10-7. 1989 upset of #1 ranked Courtland. not sure if you were around then
I remember that....Chancellor was a fairly new school at the time...heck Courtland wasn't but 10-years old or so. Lot of talent in that area....players and coaches

Powhatan's helmets are orange. No red in the color scheme whatsoever always been......Roll Orange and Black. Good luck to both squads.

Sorry ... they are orange for sure. But, I can attest that 2009 and prior (at least to the 2000 timeframe) the Indians wore black helmets. I just wanted to point that out to an old Charger.

Nope, I don't go back that far. I have been here since Oct 1999. But yes, from all I hear, that was the greatest game of Chancellor's history! Completely unexpected and still has people talking about it!

A state championship win will be the only thing to replace it. Would be nice to witness that this year!

Last edited:
My son who is PHS JV coach graduated in 2008 and the Indians have always wore black helmets until recently. Did not see the miracle game in 08 because he was at SU playing football but do recall a close contest in 2005 where some questionable field goal / xtra points were called in the Chargers favor. Water under the bridge now Chancellor has had a good couple of years and have turned it around quite well. Good luck to both squads Friday night!

Reactions: blackknight_pride
My son who is PHS JV coach graduated in 2008 and the Indians have always wore black helmets until recently. Did not see the miracle game in 08 because he was at SU playing football but do recall a close contest in 2005 where some questionable field goal / xtra points were called in the Chargers favor. Water under the bridge now Chancellor has had a good couple of years and have turned it around quite well. Good luck to both squads Friday night!

I'll just say it as I see it. I have nothing but respect for the Powhatan Indians football program. There have been a couple years over the last 17 that I have driven to Powhatan to watch them play a playoff game when Chancellor wasn't in the mix. It will be a hard fought game this week .... and a chance to see some of the best high school football in the state. I have no doubt, both teams will leave it all on the field ... they always have!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT