ADVERTISEMENT

4A East Final Dinwiddie VS. Lafayette

Dinwiddie showed they had a "good chin" last week. The last several games for them everything they drew up worked. Screens, Runs, deep balls etc you name it. Not last week. They took several big blows from Lake Taylor and survived.

I think Laf is similar that for the most part everything they have drawn up this year has worked for them. This week will be significantly tougher. We will find out if they can take a few punches this week.

If anybody outside of Laf or Dinwiddie fans has seen them both this year I'd love to hear your take.

Two very good running backs- both well over 1000 yards. One is more between the tackles power running and one more of an outside speedster. The VT recruit is mainly a w/r but is also used as a r/b and the fastest player on the team. Solid offensive line with the Wing T Qb going under center and in the shotgun to pass or pitch out. Almost always one back in motion. The Qb runs very infrequently. Defense has 4 excellent lineman with good size and excellent LB's who can attack the Qb and have consistently stopped the run. good db's but they sometimes get lost in coverage and give up the big play. Lafayette has the bad habit of starting slowly and is a 2nd half team. I wish that would change. I doubt Dinwiddie will see on kickoffs anything other pooches or squibs. The Vt recruit- Grimsley is also our punter and does very well and has been known to take off rather than punt. He is also our KO and punt returner but everyone kicks away now. Earlier in the year a lot of 2 point conversions and 4th down tries, not so much now as our kicker is doing well (but not perfect) on xtra points. A lot of emotion as the HC is the new AD and his last year as HC and to end at William and Mary is a huge goal.

Reactions: OCBoy and mbonape1
Dinwiddie has the better team and 'should' win. But as someone who was once upon a time a part of some VERY good teams, I can tell you that the best team doesn't always win. Any team that gets to this point is a very good team. If Dinwiddie does what they normally do, they should win. But if the Rams play a fundamentally sound game, and don't make the big mistakes or turn the ball over, and the Generals make some mistakes, it could go the other way. It's why they always play the games...one team may be better than the other, but they don't 'always' come out on top on game day.

Dinwiddie "whatever they want to score"
Lafayette 7

When will the ring sizing be? LOL!
You seen both teams Danville? Im thinking the same thing. The COUNTRY BOYS just have too many athletes! They have 2 of the best football players in the state in Pope and Freeland and on defense there is just too much to block. You have Fields,Clayton, Pope, and Tyson. I believe the COUNTRY BOYS are going to score early and OFTEN! I don't think the Rams have seen a complete team like this all year. COUNTRY BOYS!!!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
You seen both teams Danville? Im thinking the same thing. The COUNTRY BOYS just have too many athletes! They have 2 of the best football players in the state in Pope and Freeland and on defense there is just too much to block. You have Fields,Clayton, Pope, and Tyson. I believe the COUNTRY BOYS are going to score early and OFTEN! I don't think the Rams have seen a complete team like this all year. COUNTRY BOYS!!!
I seen the COUNTRY BOYS play Hanover this year. It was early in the year but they looked like a well oiled machine for much of that game. I know they've only gotten better. They beat the other best team in the state this past Friday in the Lake Taylor Titans. IMO that was for the state championship. Salem will bring it against Dinwiddie, but I don't see any team that is left stopping nor containing Tye Freeland or Pope. They're just too good. Lake Taylor was the only team that had the athletes to see those boys on the field. Lafayette IMO is a good program but they are not on the level of Lake Taylor, Salem or Dinwiddie. I saw them play Magna Vista 2 years ago, when they had a much better team IMO and I've watched film on this year's team thanks to one of my boys who is a Grafton alum. After the VT pledge, I just don't see the aggression that it takes to beat a team like Dinwiddie. I think the weaker schedule does this. They have some football players no doubt, but they haven't seen anything near Freeland, Pope, Sturdivant, big Clayton coming off the ends, and company. As a neutral football fan, I like Dinwiddie to beat Lafayette the way they beat Heritage back in 13. I do think the Salem game will be a lot closer but I don't see any of the teams left keeping it closer than 3 scores against Dinwiddie. If Salem had Ramsey, I think they'd give Dinwiddie a game but I just don't think they can match Dinwiddie's aggression and speed.

I seen the COUNTRY BOYS play Hanover this year. It was early in the year but they looked like a well oiled machine for much of that game. I know they've only gotten better. They beat the other best team in the state this past Friday in the Lake Taylor Titans. IMO that was for the state championship. Salem will bring it against Dinwiddie, but I don't see any team that is left stopping nor containing Tye Freeland or Pope. They're just too good. Lake Taylor was the only team that had the athletes to see those boys on the field. Lafayette IMO is a good program but they are not on the level of Lake Taylor, Salem or Dinwiddie. I saw them play Magna Vista 2 years ago, when they had a much better team IMO and I've watched film on this year's team thanks to one of my boys who is a Grafton alum. After the VT pledge, I just don't see the aggression that it takes to beat a team like Dinwiddie. I think the weaker schedule does this. They have some football players no doubt, but they haven't seen anything near Freeland, Pope, Sturdivant, big Clayton coming off the ends, and company. As a neutral football fan, I like Dinwiddie to beat Lafayette the way they beat Heritage back in 13. I do think the Salem game will be a lot closer but I don't see any of the teams left keeping it closer than 3 scores against Dinwiddie. If Salem had Ramsey, I think they'd give Dinwiddie a game but I just don't think they can match Dinwiddie's aggression and speed.
U

Danville I believe u also said the same thing about Lake Taylor and Salem last year. Salem is extremely physical talented well coached program. People who say they cannot play with athletic fast kids just simply don't know Salem. Yea Dinwiddie will be favored and probably should be by 14 points. The issue is this was Lake Taylor better last year or this Year. Salem is about the same as last year with Ramsey they were much better than last year. I think Dinwiddie Salem would be a great matchup. Two well coached teams and we get to see it next year during the season as well. But first. Next game comes first.

Danville I believe u also said the same thing about Lake Taylor and Salem last year. Salem is extremely physical talented well coached program. People who say they cannot play with athletic fast kids just simply don't know Salem. Yea Dinwiddie will be favored and probably should be by 14 points. The issue is this was Lake Taylor better last year or this Year. Salem is about the same as last year with Ramsey they were much better than last year. I think Dinwiddie Salem would be a great matchup. Two well coached teams and we get to see it next year to during the season.
Don't recall. I do remember saying that Salem would play LT close though I also said LT would win and I was extremely wrong. Salem is Salem. They win. This year however I don't see this team without the Ramseys or Clayborne beating a team full of athletes like Dinwiddie. IMO they have no counter punch.

Last edited:
Reactions: wahoogen20
Salem has been playing better team football without Ramsey the last 3 to 4 weeks. ( just so you know.

Money will be on Dinwiddie , but i think both teams are very good. 28_ 17 Dinwiddie my prediction

Good for Dinwiddie that they got in a grind it out game last week, so they'll have some experience if this one is close. Look, Lafayette is not a bad team. They have a weak SOS, but anyone that's undefeated is no dud. That said, Dinwiddie is a super team. All I'm trying to say is, it might end up being a blowout, but whenever two undefeated teams clash in the playoffs in any sport, it's going to be something special. Good luck to both teams!

`

I really appreciate the confidence the posters are extending towards Dinwiddie; however, its still a game and we are talking about young men here. It would be lying if I didn't express my full-fledged confidence in the Generals. I also know Lafayette is unbeaten, well coached and primed for a fight this Saturday.

On paper these two undefeated teams are a virtual wash. Both teams have put up gaudy statistics and with the exception of a few games have not been tested.

Lafayette, has a top rated receiver (H. Grimsley), two good backs (C. Kraegenbrink and K. Johnson) who rushed for over 1,000 a piece, a manager at quarterback (C. Ward) and excellent linebacker play (J. Erwin and Liam Walters). They are a well-oiled machine with a solid tradition. Offensively, the Rams employ a wing T scheme and are a run first team. They can pass the ball effectively (8-10 times a game) and occasionally throw the deep ball to Grimsley. They will attempt to pound the ball up the middle, but as proven against Eastern View they have the speed to get to the outside. The Rams also mix in a few tricks plays as evidence by Grimsley’s 72 yard touchdown via reverse. Defensively, Lafayette, will utilize their linebackers to fill the holes and shut down the running game. On passing downs look for the Rams to bring the house. Their secondary appears to be their weakness, but they do have some speed on the edge.

Dinwiddie, has two D1 rated receivers in T. Freeland and K. Pope. Freeland is the speedster who can instantly turn a 5 yard pass into a 60 yard touchdown and Pope who is a possession type receiver with vice like hands. Z. Sturdivant is the workhouse in the backfield and is a tough runner between the tackles. Quarterback B. Witt is having an outstanding season and has only thrown 4 interceptions. He has great touch on short passes and can throw deep when the situation calls for it. D. Clayton, Timothy Fields, and K. Pope are the defensive catalyst. Offensively, the Generals employ a spread formation with a run first attitude. They can pound it up the middle or beat their opponent’s defense with stretch plays and jet sweeps. Dinwiddie will throw often mixing in short, intermediate and routes to keep you on your toes. Screens and dumps are utilized when teams pack the box to stop the run. The Generals have 6-8 legitimate receivers who routinely play, so depth is not a concern at this position. Defense is this teams bread and butter. The interior line play has been excellent and their team speed makes it very difficult to run the ball outside. The General’s rush the passer well and blitz very little. The defensive backs play man to man with little help over the top. You can beat them deep if you throw to the boundary. Leave it inside and Freeman will be there.

With all of the above covered, I will now attempt to point out what Dinwiddie will need to do and why I think Dinwiddie will win this game. Please do not take my comments as negative about Lafayette or braggadocios. It’s just my observations. I would expect and like for Lafayette or someone else in the know to do the same for the Rams.

Offense:

1.Whether they are effective or not, the Dinwiddie must run the ball up the middle and wear down the Lafayette defense.
Based on my observations and trusted reports most of the Rams play both ways.

2. When the Lafayette blitzes, utilize screens and dumps into the space vacated by the linebacker.

3. Make the Rams defensive backs respect the deep ball. Put Freeman on the border and see if the can keep up.

4. Keep the tempo moving. No rest for the weary.

Defense:

1. Utilize their team speed to protect the edge.

2. Stay at home. Watch the misdirection and reverse.

3. Give Grimsley a bit of a cushion and provide the d-back covering him help over the top. If another receiver beats you so what.On passing downs pressure the quarterback into bad throws.

4. Kick away from Grimsley and cover kicks well.

If Lafayette loses depth will be their downfall. I expect Dinwiddie to establish the run, but spend a lot of time throwing balls into space and making their offensive playmakers run all over the field on defense; therefore, limiting their production on offense. I may be wrong; however, something has to give. Lafayette has several speed guys, but Dinwiddie’s team speed is a step above. Because of this factor and the space provided by the Generals offensive scheme the Rams will be forced to play loose or get burned. Lafayette has very good running backs; however, I have not seen any team have success on the ground against Dinwiddie all season. Lafayette may have some success running the ball, but will not be able to sustain drives without passing the ball. This will play right into the strength of the Dinwiddie defense. Lafayette may get one deep; however, with Dinwiddie’s pass rush most throws will have to be short and extremely accurate. The Dinwiddie defensive backs can and will make plays. I read where Lafayette will not kick balls deep. This is a double edge sword as Freeland is a threat on kickoff returns, but giving Dinwiddie a short field? History and this year’s stats say that’s a huge mistake. Lastly, the Generals do have the x factor: Home field advantage. I know most people don’t think it exist in high school, but I believe the Lafayette fans and players will be in for a nice surprise.

Again mad respect for the Lafayette fans, coaches and players. I look forward to meeting each of you and please drive careful on your way and home. Best wishes for a good clean game.

I have seen video of Dinwiddie they look very good and most people will pick them to win but mind you this. Do not sell Salem short because when people do they kick you in the Teeth. But I understand your point danville.

`

I really appreciate the confidence the posters are extending towards Dinwiddie; however, its still a game and we are talking about young men here. It would be lying if I didn't express my full-fledged confidence in the Generals. I also know Lafayette is unbeaten, well coached and primed for a fight this Saturday.

On paper these two undefeated teams are a virtual wash. Both teams have put up gaudy statistics and with the exception of a few games have not been tested.

Lafayette, has a top rated receiver (H. Grimsley), two good backs (C. Kraegenbrink and K. Johnson) who rushed for over 1,000 a piece, a manager at quarterback (C. Ward) and excellent linebacker play (J. Erwin and Liam Walters). They are a well-oiled machine with a solid tradition. Offensively, the Rams employ a wing T scheme and are a run first team. They can pass the ball effectively (8-10 times a game) and occasionally throw the deep ball to Grimsley. They will attempt to pound the ball up the middle, but as proven against Eastern View they have the speed to get to the outside. The Rams also mix in a few tricks plays as evidence by Grimsley’s 72 yard touchdown via reverse. Defensively, Lafayette, will utilize their linebackers to fill the holes and shut down the running game. On passing downs look for the Rams to bring the house. Their secondary appears to be their weakness, but they do have some speed on the edge.

Dinwiddie, has two D1 rated receivers in T. Freeland and K. Pope. Freeland is the speedster who can instantly turn a 5 yard pass into a 60 yard touchdown and Pope who is a possession type receiver with vice like hands. Z. Sturdivant is the workhouse in the backfield and is a tough runner between the tackles. Quarterback B. Witt is having an outstanding season and has only thrown 4 interceptions. He has great touch on short passes and can throw deep when the situation calls for it. D. Clayton, Timothy Fields, and K. Pope are the defensive catalyst. Offensively, the Generals employ a spread formation with a run first attitude. They can pound it up the middle or beat their opponent’s defense with stretch plays and jet sweeps. Dinwiddie will throw often mixing in short, intermediate and routes to keep you on your toes. Screens and dumps are utilized when teams pack the box to stop the run. The Generals have 6-8 legitimate receivers who routinely play, so depth is not a concern at this position. Defense is this teams bread and butter. The interior line play has been excellent and their team speed makes it very difficult to run the ball outside. The General’s rush the passer well and blitz very little. The defensive backs play man to man with little help over the top. You can beat them deep if you throw to the boundary. Leave it inside and Freeman will be there.

With all of the above covered, I will now attempt to point out what Dinwiddie will need to do and why I think Dinwiddie will win this game. Please do not take my comments as negative about Lafayette or braggadocios. It’s just my observations. I would expect and like for Lafayette or someone else in the know to do the same for the Rams.

Offense:

1.Whether they are effective or not, the Dinwiddie must run the ball up the middle and wear down the Lafayette defense.

2. When the Lafayette blitzes, utilize screens and dumps into the space vacated by the linebacker.

3. Make the Rams defensive backs respect the deep ball. Put Freeman on the border and see if the can keep up.

Defense:

3. Give Grimsley a bit of a cushion and provide the d-back covering him help over the top. If another receiver beats you so what.On passing downs pressure the quarterback into bad throws.

If Lafayette loses depth will be their downfall. I expect Dinwiddie to establish the run, but spend a lot of time throwing balls into space and making their offensive playmakers run all over the field on defense; therefore, limiting their production on offense. I may be wrong; however, something has to give. Lafayette has several speed guys, but Dinwiddie’s team speed is a step above. Because of this factor and the space provided by the Generals offensive scheme the Rams will be forced to play loose or get burned. Lafayette has very good running backs; however, I have not seen any team have success on the ground against Dinwiddie all season. Lafayette may have some success running the ball, but will not be able to sustain drives without passing the ball. This will play right into the strength of the Dinwiddie defense. Lafayette may get one deep; however, with Dinwiddie’s pass rush most throws will have to be short and extremely accurate. The Dinwiddie defensive backs can and will make plays. I read where Lafayette will not kick balls deep. This is a double edge sword as Freeland is a threat on kickoff returns, but giving Dinwiddie a short field? History and this year’s stats say that’s a huge mistake. Lastly, the Generals do have the x factor: Home field advantage. I know most people don’t think it exist in high school, but I believe the Lafayette fans and players will be in for a nice surprise.

Again mad respect for the Lafayette fans, coaches and players. I look forward to meeting each of you and please drive careful on your way and home. Best wishes for a good clean game.

Great write-up which little I can disagree on. I will say the front 4 do not play on offense except the occasional short yardage heavy set. Not all the LB go both ways all the time. The DBs , yep on the field all day. I agree the biggest weakness is our pass coverage at times- inconsistent - one minute an Int another a wide open receiver. Due to how aggressive the defense is that screen or short flair can really hurt at times.I have always thought the mental part is as big as physical, anticipate what your opponent thinks is your weakness and bait them in. On offense we will try inside and outside and use misdirection, counters, pitches and reverses to see what works. If Dinwiddie is that fast it will be tough on the Wing T, but I have not seen Dinwiddie except on few short clips on line so I really do not know on the field with our seasoned O line what will happen. If we need to pass more than 20 times in the game it will be real tough, that is not our offense. In the kicking game I can see squibs etc. to keep it around the 35. We are big underdogs, but the players and coaches with a final game home at W&M for the final and the HC last game will pull out all stops. Any unused trick plays will be used. Upsets happen but only with effort, execution and belief. Otherwise stay home.

I have seen video of Dinwiddie they look very good and most people will pick them to win but mind you this. Do not sell Salem short because when people do they kick you in the Teeth. But I understand your point danville.
As a fellow Salem fan I wouldn't start thinking about Dinwiddie yet. We still have a very difficult game to play this weekend before we can even think about the "Country Boys". Plus this thred is about the Dinwiddie vs Lafayette game so we shouldn't highjack it with a bunch of useless Salem posts. That's one reason Salem gets such a bad rep on this board.

As a fellow Salem fan I wouldn't start thinking about Dinwiddie yet. We still have a very difficult game to play this weekend before we can even think about the "Country Boys". Plus this thred is about the Dinwiddie vs Lafayette game so we shouldn't highjack it with a bunch of useless Salem posts. That's one reason Salem gets such a bad rep on this board.
My apologies bro. I brought Salem into this not a Salem poster.

Reactions: SalemPride
You know something, it's really a good thing they let the kids decide it on the field. All of us old farts that think we know so much, really don't. After all, it is there game, and we are fortunate to be along for the ride.

I look forward to meeting you Saturday, Lafayette. And I hope you will bring some of your friends by to say hi also.

`

Offense:

Defense:

Navy you just pumped me up brother!! Yes NAVY NATION will be loud Saturday! The atmosphere is great! If you have a weak heart beware because the COUNTRY BOYS will score and score and score! The cannon will be BOOMING!!!

You know something, it's really a good thing they let the kids decide it on the field. All of us old farts that think we know so much, really don't. After all, it is there game, and we are fortunate to be along for the ride.

I look forward to meeting you Saturday, Lafayette. And I hope you will bring some of your friends by to say hi also.
Proud you are so right! Both of these teams have had great rides and I look forward to a hard fought game with the COUNTY BOYS having what it takes to get to William and Mary! LETS GO COUNTRY BOYS!!!

Thanks for the reply Lafayette and nice job as well. Dinwiddie has faced one wing t team this year (Courtland) and I look forward to see how the Generals defense fairs against a more talented and experienced Lafayette offense.

Our coaches developed a nice scheme to defend Courtlands wing t and I am sure the experience of playing against it once will help us prepare for this game.

For information purposes, I believe Courtland rushed for less than 75 yards and did not break 100 in total offense for the game. I hope I see the same on Saturday.

Just for you Wahoogen. Go Country Boys or Half Country Boys as Hamspear calls us.

Thanks for the reply Lafayette and nice job as well. Dinwiddie has faced one wing t team this year (Courtland) and I look forward to see how the Generals defense fairs against a more talented and experienced Lafayette offense.

Our coaches developed a nice scheme to defend Courtlands wing t and I am sure the experience of playing against it once will help us prepare for this game.

For information purposes, I believe Courtland rushed for less than 75 yards and did not break 100 in total offense for the game. I hope I see the same on Saturday.

Just for you Wahoogen. Go Country Boys or Half Country Boys as Hamspear calls us.

That will be the key Saturday- does playing against a so-so courtland Wing T limiting them to little yardage transfer to Lafayette's wing T execution with much better personnel. Hmmmm... we will find out. It may take some time as Lafayette has started slowly in many games and come out firing in the 2 nd half. I will be interested in how our defense scheme is with your two div 1 receivers. One will go 1 on 1 with Grimsley but what about the other? Will we attack like EV or change up and show blitz but pull back? The chess game begins. Ps- practice is now back on the grass field- first time in weeks. Don't expect a big crowd from Lafayette on Saturday- many students and others work at all the outlets and stores PT in the now Xmas season.

Once again Lafayette nice response. I did a little research and discovered a statistically based problem for both teams.

Lafayette averages 41 points a game and gives up 10. They have scored at least 30 points in 10 of 13 games (Smithfield, Poquoson, Grafton) and have only given up more than 20 points on two occasions (Grafton and Eastern View).

Dinwiddie averages 50 points a game and gives up 12. They have scored at least 30 points in 11 of 13 games (Thomas Dale and Lake Taylor) and have only given up more than 20 points on one occasion (Hopewell).

On paper this looks like this game is going to be a defensive battle. Something has to give.

Lafayette you have stated several times that the Rams generally start slow. Do you think this bodes well for your team? When I thought about your comments regarding this matter my mind went back to depth. Whether Dinwiddie's offense is clicking or not they are going no huddle all game and will limit your defensive substitutions. Assuming starting slow means Lafayette does not sustain drives in the first half they will likely be too tired to mount a comeback (if needed) in the second half. One thing that bothered me about Courtland was their refusal to go away from the run. Sure they took a few chances with deep balls, but they were satisfied to basically go three and out on every series. By the second half they had nothing left in the tank. That's what Dinwiddie does best. Some say the Generals are not physical, but I beg to differ, because they run at you, around you, force you to cover at least four on every pass play and virtually wear teams down.

I am also intrigued by Lafayette possible pass coverage scheme. I realize you have not seen Dinwiddie play, but both Pope and Freeland generally line up in the slots. Sometime they line up beside each other in the same slot. Based on our scheme 4 and five receiver sets (no tight end) the Lafayette staff is going to have to decide whether to put their two best cover corners inside or let the safeties handle these two. Neither can be covered by the average linebacker. If you attempt to double team Freeland and Pope our other receivers will be 1 v 1 on the border with your remaining 2 defensive backs. To date, Lake Taylor and Thomas Dale were the only teams to effectively keep the other guys in check. In fact, Pope and Freeland account for 32% (44) of the 129 receptions made . The rest of the receivers have 88. Zone coverage and blitzes are options, but it allows Dinwiddie to utilize screens and dumps. Lafayette's coach is a proven winner and I am sure he will figure something out. It surely is going to be a nice chess match.

Some say the Generals are not physical,

Navy, for me... it is not that I think Dinwiddie is not physical. They are actually a pretty physical team. I would say more physical than most.

It is just if I am coaching against Dinwiddie I think it would be easier to out physical them then out athlete them. One thing I learned from the Monacan game is you have to commit to stopping something and take your chances with another. To just go out there and just line up is gonna be tough sledding saying we wont commit to stopping anything particular. LT did a good job of containing the Dinwiddie run and the generals dropped a few passes and missed a few throws and that is what they needed.

Lafayette's best bet IMO is to just have a running game that is simply that good. They control the tempo / clock and drive down the field and put points on the board. Stop Dinwiddie here and there and we've got a game.

I don't think they can out athlete Dinwiddie on the perimeter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT