ADVERTISEMENT

4A East Final Dinwiddie VS. Lafayette

Mbonape1, after reading your post for the past few months, getting to know you and chatting football I must admit its been a pleasure. You have sound insight and always remain positive with everyone.

I whole heartedly agree with your assessment above. My post are not intended to toot Dinwiddie's horn, but to stimulate some x and o discussion. I honestly think this is a very interesting match up. Too damn good defenses, so something has got to break.

I also agree that Lafayette's best bet is to run right at Dinwiddie and occasionally mix in a pass a when not expected. Dinwiddie needs to play with discipline on defense and do what they do on offense. Witt must make sound decision and get rid of the ball to the appropriate receivers on blitzes. If Lafayette can put together sustained drives (whether they score or not) it will surely play to their advantage. If they don't its going to be a long day in the land of the Country Boys! lol....

Last edited:
Reactions: wahoogen20
Once again Lafayette nice response. I did a little research and discovered a statistically based problem for both teams.

Lafayette averages 41 points a game and gives up 10. They have scored at least 30 points in 10 of 13 games (Smithfield, Poquoson, Grafton) and have only given up more than 20 points on two occasions (Grafton and Eastern View).

Dinwiddie averages 50 points a game and gives up 12. They have scored at least 30 points in 11 of 13 games (Thomas Dale and Lake Taylor) and have only given up more than 20 points on one occasion (Hopewell).

On paper this looks like this game is going to be a defensive battle. Something has to give.

Lafayette you have stated several times that the Rams generally start slow. Do you think this bodes well for your team? When I thought about your comments regarding this matter my mind went back to depth. Whether Dinwiddie's offense is clicking or not they are going no huddle all game and will limit your defensive substitutions. Assuming starting slow means Lafayette does not sustain drives in the first half they will likely be too tired to mount a comeback (if needed) in the second half. One thing that bothered me about Courtland was their refusal to go away from the run. Sure they took a few chances with deep balls, but they were satisfied to basically go three and out on every series. By the second half they had nothing left in the tank. That's what Dinwiddie does best. Some say the Generals are not physical, but I beg to differ, because they run at you, around you, force you to cover at least four on every pass play and virtually wear teams down.

I am also intrigued by Lafayette possible pass coverage scheme. I realize you have not seen Dinwiddie play, but both Pope and Freeland generally line up in the slots. Sometime they line up beside each other in the same slot. Based on our scheme 4 and five receiver sets (no tight end) the Lafayette staff is going to have to decide whether to put their two best cover corners inside or let the safeties handle these two. Neither can be covered by the average linebacker. If you attempt to double team Freeland and Pope our other receivers will be 1 v 1 on the border with your remaining 2 defensive backs. To date, Lake Taylor and Thomas Dale were the only teams to effectively keep the other guys in check. In fact, Pope and Freeland account for 32% (44) of the 129 receptions made . The rest of the receivers have 88. Zone coverage and blitzes are options, but it allows Dinwiddie to utilize screens and dumps. Lafayette's coach is a proven winner and I am sure he will figure something out. It surely is going to be a nice chess match.

The slow start is always an issue- do not know why it happens. Maybe with it being a semi final game they will start faster. I don't think running out of gas will be a problem. The last two games that went the full 48 and they put a significant number points up in the 3/4th. What it is does do is prevent any panic like many teams. We do substitute for situations - usually passing downs, this may be more difficult with your no huddle. I would expect Grimsley to follow Pope everywhere and to be a mix of coverages on Freeland with the other DBs. Lafayette rarely double covers anyone because of the problems you state. How the LBs play will be key - Liam Walters was our conference defensive player of the year so his play is crucial. The other LBs have an exceptional year also. Hope it continues. But consistent coverage is required. I saw a few poor coverages against EV- one on a holding call TD. Time to tighten up. But like you said, coaches have the film and were also there at the LT game, so no surprises. Another travel game on grass like last year but at least a day game which we prefer. Courtland last year was exceptional and running our offense made it real tough- they see it every practice and they knew all the tricks.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Yeah, I assume the guys who sat in front of me were coaches. I saw the big guy with the bald head in a picture in your local paper. I think his name was Massey, but I may be wrong. They sat right in the middle of the crowd and handled it like gentlemen I really enjoyed talking to them and they seemed to enjoy themselves. Hope they didn't learn too much. lol...

Come about an hour early and come by the pass gate before you get your ticket. DP and I will be manning the VHSL hospitality tent and would really like to chat. Same goes for any other prep posters. Drive carefully sir.

Yeah, I assume the guys who sat in front of me were coaches. I saw the big guy with the bald head in a picture in your local paper. I think his name was Massey, but I may be wrong. They sat right in the middle of the crowd and handled it like gentlemen I really enjoyed talking to them and they seemed to enjoy themselves. Hope they didn't learn too much. lol...

Come about an hour early and come by the pass gate before you get your ticket. DP and I will be manning the VHSL hospitality tent and would really like to chat. Same goes for any other prep posters. Drive carefully sir.
Several of the coaches were there - -all are large and balding (so am I). Plan to leave here at 11:15 and use DP's directions- there were plans for a bus but unsure if it on or not. One question- are visitors stands facing sun like here? Suppose to be very sunny!

Several of the coaches were there - -all are large and balding (so am I). Plan to leave here at 11:15 and use DP's directions- there were plans for a bus but unsure if it on or not. One question- are visitors stands facing sun like here? Suppose to be very sunny!
Visitors stands face the northeast, so you will be in partial sun at the start. At your back after 3.

Reactions: Lafayette
Navy, for me... it is not that I think Dinwiddie is not physical. They are actually a pretty physical team. I would say more physical than most.

It is just if I am coaching against Dinwiddie I think it would be easier to out physical them then out athlete them. One thing I learned from the Monacan game is you have to commit to stopping something and take your chances with another. To just go out there and just line up is gonna be tough sledding saying we wont commit to stopping anything particular. LT did a good job of containing the Dinwiddie run and the generals dropped a few passes and missed a few throws and that is what they needed.

Lafayette's best bet IMO is to just have a running game that is simply that good. They control the tempo / clock and drive down the field and put points on the board. Stop Dinwiddie here and there and we've got a game.

I don't think they can out athlete Dinwiddie on the perimeter.

Dinwiddie not physical? wOW! GL to both on Saturday.

According to the VHSL Reference, Dinwiddie has a 67% change to win and none of the simulations I've done have been blowouts. I'm expecting a good game from the Rams.

@Hoos05, I know you watch a ton of video, so what's your take on this game? I am not being a butt. I would really like your take. I have only seen Lafayette live once and received some good feedback from a friend who coaches against Lafayette yearly, so I am limited in my discussion.

I haven't watched any film of Lafayette, saw enough of them in person against Magna Vista and Courtland. Dinwiddie's defense will be the key to victory again this week.

Honestly, I think Lafayette will have to play mistake free and benefit from some miscues by Dinwiddie to have a chance...the Rams are very solid, but the Generals seem to be on another level this year. I want to reiterate, though, don't underestimate a very sound team that will be playing w/a lot of heart, desire and emotion...they have an opportunity to play for the state championship at W&M, which would be an amazing way to send out their head coach. Given the circumstances, I can't help but wonder if this is destiny in the making...perhaps unlikely, but possible! Only time will tell....

Dang @Hoos05, I thought you would at least offer some imput on how the Dinwiddie defense would do against the Rams wing t. You know the offense as good as anybody. Come on dude. Not asking for props. Lets talk x and o's.

Honestly, I think Lafayette will have to play mistake free and benefit from some miscues by Dinwiddie to have a chance...the Rams are very solid, but the Generals seem to be on another level this year. I want to reiterate, though, don't underestimate a very sound team that will be playing w/a lot of heart, desire and emotion...they have an opportunity to play for the state championship at W&M, which would be an amazing way to send out their head coach. Given the circumstances, I can't help but wonder if this is destiny in the making...perhaps unlikely, but possible! Only time will tell....
Nice to hear from another Lafayette fan. Good post.... i hope its not destiny, but I would love to see a great game.

Hey LHS Ram- where you been all year? I've been alone here fending off the horde.

Reactions: gwb16
All Dinwiddie has to do is be precise with their passing game and they can light Lafayette up

Teams that don't pass well or not that much, usually don't cover that well either. Not always, but usually. I agree with Hoos though , defense will win it.

Reactions: OCBoy
Teams that don't pass well or not that much, usually don't cover that well either. Not always, but usually. I agree with Hoos though , defense will win it.
I don't know if I can agree with that. I think it is far more a function of how much passing the teams you have played against and how well they pass. This year there were an unusual number of teams that passed a lot and did it well Lafayette played. But let's face it pass coverage at the HS level is always problematic- even the better College and Nfl teams have coverage issues consistently.

I don't know if I can agree with that. I think it is far more a function of how much passing the teams you have played against and how well they pass. This year there were an unusual number of teams that passed a lot and did it well Lafayette played. But let's face it pass coverage at the HS level is always problematic- even the better College and Nfl teams have coverage issues consistently.
Have every right to disagree. Good luck Saturday.

Dang @Hoos05, I thought you would at least offer some imput on how the Dinwiddie defense would do against the Rams wing t. You know the offense as good as anybody. Come on dude. Not asking for props. Lets talk x and o's.
Let's see. Pretty simple here. Against the Generals, the Rams OLine will look like they're trying to carry water with a colander.

The Rams are very good but that's just what the difference is this year. There is most frequently a team that is simply that head and shoulders above the rest. Often, there are multiple teams with State Championship potential and worthiness. It is unfortunate they get eliminated but it is the nature of the beast. There can only be one Champion. And for some truly good squads, They're gone early in the playoffs, even though they could beat most of those remaining.

I told everyone after the first week, that special team was Dinwiddie. With the Ram's running the Wing and the penetration the General's defense gets, this could end up a game with a running clock. The Rams are damn good and are worthy of a State Final. They would be more than competitive against anyone the West sends. But this is the 2016 Generals. Just bad timing. That's all.

Mbonape1, after reading your post for the past few months, getting to know you and chatting football I must admit its been a pleasure. You have sound insight and always remain positive with everyone.

I whole heartedly agree with your assessment above. My post are not intended to toot Dinwiddie's horn, but to stimulate some x and o discussion. I honestly think this is a very interesting match up. Too damn good defenses, so something has got to break.

I also agree that Lafayette's best bet is to run right at Dinwiddie and occasionally mix in a pass a when not expected. Dinwiddie needs to play with discipline on defense and do what they do on offense. Witt must make sound decision and get rid of the ball to the appropriate receivers on blitzes. If Lafayette can put together sustained drives (whether they score or not) it will surely play to their advantage. If they don't its going to be a long day in the land of the Country Boys! lol....
I believe its gonna be a long day in Navy Nation for Lafayette compliments of the COUNTRY BOYS!!! They are physical and will punch you in the mouth! They have athletes all over the field! Pope and Freeland have been terrorizing defenses all year long. Noone in 4A can guard Pope or Freeland man to man. They are gonna have to help on one of them and then the other will get off. If you keep them in check which hasnt really been done all year then you have #4 #8 #1 to deal with and #6 and #31 also coming out of the backfield. All these guys have killer speed!! The Rams need to see if Monte Kiffin is available to come back and coach the defense for them!! (joke fellas) These guys can fly and if its a track meet the Rams will be in trouble! They have to control the ball and run the clock. You cannot turn the ball over and give the COUNTRY BOYS more possessions. They will take advantage! This team is special and one of the better COUNTRY BOYS teams I have seen in awhile! From Mckenney to North Dinwiddie all of Navy Nation are behind these COUNTRY BOYS! Lafayette I want to personally welcome you to the Navy Nation show on Saturday. The greatest show in 4A. You will be entertained by everything THE COUNTRY BOYS have to offer!!! Good luck to you and safe travels!

Reactions: mbonape1
I believe its gonna be a long day in Navy Nation for Lafayette compliments of the COUNTRY BOYS!!! They are physical and will punch you in the mouth! They have athletes all over the field! Pope and Freeland have been terrorizing defenses all year long. Noone in 4A can guard Pope or Freeland man to man. They are gonna have to help on one of them and then the other will get off. If you keep them in check which hasnt really been done all year then you have #4 #8 #1 to deal with and #6 and #31 also coming out of the backfield. All these guys have killer speed!! The Rams need to see if Monte Kiffin is available to come back and coach the defense for them!! (joke fellas) These guys can fly and if its a track meet the Rams will be in trouble! They have to control the ball and run the clock. You cannot turn the ball over and give the COUNTRY BOYS more possessions. They will take advantage! This team is special and one of the better COUNTRY BOYS teams I have seen in awhile! From Mckenney to North Dinwiddie all of Navy Nation are behind these COUNTRY BOYS! Lafayette I want to personally welcome you to the Navy Nation show on Saturday. The greatest show in 4A. You will be entertained by everything THE COUNTRY BOYS have to offer!!! Good luck to you and safe travels!

If everyone has been so unstoppable all year why did they score only 2 offensive TD's last week against Lake Taylor? Heritage Newport News did better.

If everyone has been so unstoppable all year why did they score only 2 offensive TD's last week against Lake Taylor? Heritage Newport News did better.
Lake Taylor was a hell of a team and had a great game plan. Played their best game of the year and still wasnt enough! Thats the thing.....THE COUNTRY BOYS can beat you in so many ways! Scored on a ko return and a pick 6! You can focus on stopping just one thing but THE COUNTRY BOYS have so many ways they can beat you!

Lake Taylor was a hell of a team and had a great game plan. Played their best game of the year and still wasnt enough! Thats the thing.....THE COUNTRY BOYS can beat you in so many ways! Scored on a ko return and a pick 6! You can focus on stopping just one thing but THE COUNTRY BOYS have so many ways they can beat you!
Lake Taylor did turn it over too many times which really hurt them. The Rams have not seen any team all year as complete as THE COUNTRY BOYS or Lake Taylor. These guys can ball!!

That does often hold true and it comes from the fact that teams without good developed passing games usually are not capable of giving good looks when it comes to scout team preparation. This doesn't matter as much in high school because this level is a little bit more about natural talent.

There is a reason why Georgia Tech is never good defensively, regardless of their coordinator. The players that are on GT are coached to play in a triple option offense with an extremely limited passing game. They don't have the type of spread receivers and pocket passing QBs on their scout team to get good preparation and even when they go 1s vs 1s or 2s vs 2s etc, they are playing against their own offensive personnel that don't fit that criteria. Kind of off topic but I think it matters some in high school and a lot in college.

I thought you guys manned the recruitment tent, flanked by policemen so nobody tries to take the stacks of greenbacks you guys keep on hand.:D:p:cool:

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I would readily admit Dinwiddie is the best team we have faced all year, maybe by far, but if every best team won there would be no upsets, correct? Last time I checked there are upsets at every level all the time.
Lake Taylor did turn it over too many times which really hurt them. The Rams have not seen any team all year as complete as THE COUNTRY BOYS or Lake Taylor. These guys can ball!!

Careful what you say. I've seen film of the Rams and y'all would've been lucky to cross the 50 against LT last Friday. You all get to play an easy schedule and roll everyone all year. Well now its time to see what 4a football is when your playing a power like Dinwiddie or LT. The talk was the same back in 13 about teams being able to do this or that but when it came time to put up or shut up everyone just got shut up. LT was the only team in the east that could've challenged Dinwiddie this year after the Dale game and they did just that. Film does not lie and if Dinwiddie does not turn the ball over 5 times the JV will be closing out this one just like in 13.

I thought you guys manned the recruitment tent, flanked by policemen so nobody tries to take the stacks of greenbacks you guys keep on hand.:D:p:cool:
I would readily admit Dinwiddie is the best team we have faced all year, maybe by far, but if every best team won there would be no upsets, correct? Last time I checked there are upsets at every level all the time.
Oh thats very true I just dont think an upset is gonna happen saturday in Navy Nation! THE COUNTRY BOYS are just too much to handle! Just my 2 cents!

Careful what you say. I've seen film of the Rams and y'all would've been lucky to cross the 50 against LT last Friday. You all get to play an easy schedule and roll everyone all year. Well now its time to see what 4a football is when your playing a power like Dinwiddie or LT. The talk was the same back in 13 about teams being able to do this or that but when it came time to put up or shut up everyone just got shut up. LT was the only team in the east that could've challenged Dinwiddie this year after the Dale game and they did just that. Film does not lie and if Dinwiddie does not turn the ball over 5 times the JV will be closing out this one just like in 13.
Very nice Navy Life! Thats how it was in 2013! You are right! The JV team if I remeber correctly was closing out every playoff game in 2013!

"Careful what you say. I've seen film of the Rams and y'all would've been lucky to cross the 50 against LT last Friday. You all get to play an easy schedule and roll everyone all year. Well now its time to see what 4a football is when your playing a power like Dinwiddie or LT. Film does not lie and if Dinwiddie does not turn the ball over 5 times the JV will be closing out this one just like in 13.[/QUOTE]

Whew its getting hot in here!

"Careful what you say. I've seen film of the Rams and y'all would've been lucky to cross the 50 against LT last Friday. You all get to play an easy schedule and roll everyone all year. Well now its time to see what 4a football is when your playing a power like Dinwiddie or LT. Film does not lie and if Dinwiddie does not turn the ball over 5 times the JV will be closing out this one just like in 13.

Whew its getting hot in here![/QUOTE]
Haaaaaa!!! Gonna be hot with that CANNON BOOMING after all those touchdowns the COUNTRY BOYS gonna put on the board!

Hey, Lafayette...you've more than held your own in sticking up for the Rams! This time of year is the best, which prompted me to post...we've got Neville8tn too!

I like your enthusiasm, wahoogen20, but IF your boys come in overconfident AND Lafayette does some good things early, who knows what might happen? Just sayin'....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT