ADVERTISEMENT

4A gets a Private school

Roanoke Catholic used to recruit a lot of players away from Fleming and Northside in the 90's, but they stopped after the Roanoke area schools boycotted them in all sports. How many students does Catholic have?

Yea Wikki, this cements my hatred for all things LU.

I used to be indifferent towards that place, but then I made the mistake of attending church there a time or two.. Jerry spent most of the time letting us know we need to give give give more money. I was not impressed with the people at all.

And now this? Why is a school that loves to let you know how Christian-y they are going to spend $$$$ on a lawsuit over...high school football???? That money could have gone to so much better use. Makes you wonder where the priorities truly are at this "religious" school.

Sickening.
I have nothing against the church or LU it is just not fair that a private school should be allowed to be part of a Public School league, but they always get what they want. I do like your point about them spending money to sue a high school league, ridiculous

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Guess the public schools need to step it up in the weight room and develop our kids so we can compete. I'm sorry, but I have seen LCA on film and didn't come away impressed at all. I looked at their hudl roster and compared numbers and their line wasn't big. You better have the guys up front if you want to be successful.

I agree with what you are saying Devils. I've watched them in the past, they will be competitive in 4A West this coming season, I don't by any means think they'll win it all this fall but my concern is if they aren't being regulated as far as players who "move to Lynchburg City" and get through faulty rulebook. We all know LCA has unlimited resources to entice kids to come play for them, facilities, top notch education and coaches with college experience and connections. I'm not as concerned about them this year and probably next year but in the next 3-5 years is when this Seminole District All-Star team thing could start becoming real. Like someone else said, LCA could set up a system that housed, within the city, any players who wanted to transfer and the paper trail could be legit. This is what concerns me personally.

If LCA has some good skill position players, they'll be tough. You have to be able to throw the ball and run the ball.

I think LCA will more of a factor in basketball.
Basketball will be the sport most affected with the new private school legislation as well as some of the country club sports. Football in each classification will require several years of adjustment for the private schools before they are a real threat to win it all. I'm not saying some will not come in and compete but, I don't see them pushing the best teams right off the bat. Using LCA as an example they would be a threat to win in 1A, maybe even 2A but, not out of the gate in 4A and realistically it will be 5 to 10 years, in my opinion.

As far as the settlement goes I don't like it because it is one step closer to opening the door for home school kids. Before someone starts the debate about home school kids coming from taxpaying families let me say I have absolutely no problem with private school or home school kids competing with public schools kids as long as the playing field is leveled to the best extent possible. My theory has always been the better the competition the more benefit to everybody. My worry on the home school front is not kids presently home schooled gaming the system but, rather ethically challenged adults using the home school option for borderline(grades/behavior/etc.) public kids as a mechanism to game their eligibility. Hope I'm wrong but, I see people using the home school option a lot like UNC has used the "no show" classes over the last several decades to maintain athlete eligibility.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT