ADVERTISEMENT

4A Playoffs: Who will surprise? Who will disappoint?

Shruikan

VaPreps Varsity
Nov 2, 2010
I know, I know. We're a few weeks away from getting the opening round match-ups. A lot can happen between now and then, and a lot will happen. However, does anyone have any early bird predictions as to who the dark horses are going to be this year?

I'll say John Champe and Millbrook are the most likely to surprise. Even if John Champe goes in undefeated, not many expected them to hold their own against the other undefeated squads of JF, Salem, and company. Millbrook is without a doubt in my mind the most improved team in 4A this year. Going from a loss to Jefferson in the opening week to pummeling the best James Wood team in years 72-0.

I think Millbrook wins a couple games at least. This is the best team they've ever had and they've fired off three of their top scoring games in program history over the past few weeks. Prior to this year they'd only scored over 50 once!

Anyone have any other thoughts? I would give my 4A East thoughts as well, but I haven't seen enough of the teams this year to make any educated predictions.

I don't think anyone from the northern part of state will surprise in the playoffs. Woodgrove , Champe , and Sherando are all second round teams, maybe third round losses depending on the match-ups. The rest Millbrook, Loudoun valley, are one and dones. But that's why the game are played.

Not a lot being said about GW-Danville. Very hard to tell what kind of team they are since their schedule is maybe the single weakest of all the playoff-bound teams. Looking at it maybe like 6-7 of their 10 teams might not total 15 wins between them. Will have to see how they do against MV in the last week of the season but they could be a team to watch for this year.

GW could be really good but we won't know for sure until the first or second round of playoffs. They need to handle MV or there will be a lot of questions

I don't think anyone from the northern part of state will surprise in the playoffs. Woodgrove , Champe , and Sherando are all second round teams, maybe third round losses depending on the match-ups. The rest Millbrook, Loudoun valley, are one and dones. But that's why the game are played.
Hamspear you haven't learned from the FH game not to give your opponents locker room material? You still have Millbrook on your schedule, but you are quoting them as being "one and dones" in playoffs?

GW could be really good but we won't know for sure until the first or second round of playoffs. They need to handle MV or there will be a lot of questions

Just incidentally, I think MV has ironed out some of their early season issues. Are they as good as they should be this season, no. But, that's what makes them scary. They may be on a path to be as dominant as they should have been all season. Ok, now back to 4a.

I'm going to sit out the prognostication on this one for the time being. I don't feel like being vilified for expressing my honest opinion. But I see shockers on the east side.

Reactions: gen4ever
Not a lot being said about GW-Danville. Very hard to tell what kind of team they are since their schedule is maybe the single weakest of all the playoff-bound teams. Looking at it maybe like 6-7 of their 10 teams might not total 15 wins between them. Will have to see how they do against MV in the last week of the season but they could be a team to watch for this year.

I did check GW's record a few days ago. No, their schedule is not strong. They do score points. What impressed me was how low a point total they held opponents to, even if many were not so good. Defense wins Championships. They,ve given up 12 points in the last 5 games and pitched 4 shutouts on the year. Combine that with an explosive offense and I don't think anyone should underestimate them. They could be a surprise team that no one is mentioning, especially if they win the MV game as dominantly as they have all the others.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT