ADVERTISEMENT

ADM Numbers

Not "butt hurt" at all... Locally, Central Woodstock has always been back and forth. Have struggled somewhat when placed "up", but does nothing like what I have seen from Sherando the past 8 years... Appeal, cry the blues to the local papers, cry about overcrowding... It sucks for Sherando that there and few locals at 5A, but man up... The numbers can't be wrong four cycles in a row

Reactions: Rev_Real
Not sure if it's "butt hurt" or whatever you call it, but facts are facts, last time when the this all went down, they shipped a few kids over to James Wood, that got them under. But Sherando does cry the blues everytime this comes up. Why? Because they would have to start over, would they have success at 5a probably not, they usually have 2 tester games a year, Martinsburg which they may not have beaten yet (could be wrong on that one) then 1 other, then who do they play before the playoffs? Wood, Skyline, kettle run (maybe, although they put them on the schedule after the Cougars had there run) millbrook, Handley, and a couple of Wva cupcakes, not all that impressive. Unless your a warrior fan, that has gone to states twice and got spanked, but hey, atleast they got there, something they wouldn't or won't do in 5a. Bet on it

Sherando played one of the toughest 4A schedules last year, if not the toughest. Amherst has a great argument, but not many others do. 7 out of 10 of the teams on their schedule made it to the playoffs in their respective regions.

Also, Sherando's 2007 and 2013 teams would've done well in the 5A playoffs.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Just play where they put you and continue a strong program. After all, it's about the kids.

Sherando played one of the toughest 4A schedules last year, if not the toughest. Amherst has a great argument, but not many others do. 7 out of 10 of the teams on their schedule made it to the playoffs in their respective regions.

Really? That well in 2013 when they shouldn't have not been on the same field as Dinwiddie and 2007 didn't Amherst run for 500 yards on the warrior defense? You think they would've done well in 5a ? Your almost as funny as hammy bud

The toughest schedule is argueable. My first research choice already beat your 7 - 3 playoff reps. But that's neither here nor there. Sherando plays a good schedule. MD was a great addition and MillBrook has come from a dumpster team to someone folks actually need to think about.

Here's the deal. If/When Sherando moves to 5A, they will do well. I agree. The teams you mentioned would have done well in 5A. t's the program. It's the program. It's the program. Sherando has an excellent program. It's about the kids. Go Warriors!

Last edited:
You called that one
Honestly, I think they are trying to keep the Frederick County Schools all in the same classification and will move some boundaries in order to achieve that goal if it's necessary. If Sherando is moved to 5a, they'll have to travel a whole lot further, and James Wood and Millwood will have to find 2 more games to play, so they'll have to travel further as well. I don't think it's a conspiracy, I think it's Frederick County trying to do what's best for Frederick County.

Reactions: hamspear
Honestly, I think they are trying to keep the Frederick County Schools all in the same classification and will move some boundaries in order to achieve that goal if it's necessary. If Sherando is moved to 5a, they'll have to travel a whole lot further, and James Wood and Millwood will have to find 2 more games to play, so they'll have to travel further as well. I don't think it's a conspiracy, I think it's Frederick County trying to do what's best for Frederick County.
My question is why would they have to travel more? They won't have to change districts or their schedule just because they move up to 5A. The VHSL changes a couple years back allows for districts spanning multiple classifications.

If they want to avoid moving up they need to do a better job of managing the attendance zones. Sherando has been borderline the last few reclassifications, while other schools in the district are 200 away from the cutoff. I'm not being critical of Sherando, they are a good program, but Frederick Co needs to fix the problem and stop whining to the VHSL about fixing a problem they're causing themselves. It sounds like they are trying to maximize the number of kids at Sherando within 4A boundaries to better their odds of success. I have no problem with that, but when you jump over the line you bump up and shutup, it's not the VHSL's problem. Deal with the consequences of your actions! Seems a common theme in my posts the last 2 days with Northside yesterday and Sherando today. No offense intended Hamspear & Shruikan.

Last edited:
The quote from the Sherando activities director doesn't signal a whole lot of confidence that they have any case for not being bumped up to 5A.

Mike, I agree with you, but with one caveat about Sherando. If Sherando's ADM included students that are legally enrolled and counted in other Frederick County ADM's, but are attending Sherando because of the exclusive availability of certain academic opportunities, then a correction needs to be considered. Mind you, Frederick County Public School administrators were remiss in their duties, but it is a correctable error.

Some may say that this game has been played by Sherando before, of that I do not know. But this time, if it is an honest mistake, (albeit, from in-attention to details by the county school administration), then what happened previously does not factor in to "the right thing to do" this time.

Without causing a political ruckus, the reality is that the Sherando and Millbrook attendance zones have a higher minority population (Sherando's population is 20% minorities, Millbrook is 30%, James Wood is 8%). The Hispanic population accounts for approximately 6% of the population of Frederick County, Whites account for 89%, Blacks are 4%. As far as zone size, Millbrook has the smallest in area, James Wood has the largest. Sherando has about 200 more students than James Wood or Millbrook.

I got my figures from the US News website found here:
http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...erick-co-public-schools/james-wood-high-20474
http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ederick-co-public-schools/sherando-high-20473
http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...derick-co-public-schools/millbrook-high-20475

and the population info about Frederick County here:
https://suburbanstats.org/population/virginia/how-many-people-live-in-frederick-county

My question is why would they have to travel more? They won't have to change districts or their schedule just because they move up to 5A. The VHSL changes a couple years back allows for districts spanning multiple classifications.

If they want to avoid moving up they need to do a better job of managing the attendance zones. Sherando has been borderline the last few reclassifications, while other schools in the district sre 200 away from the cutoff. I'm not being critical of Sherando, they are a good program, but Frederic Co needs to fix the problem and stop whining to the VHSL about fixing a problem they're causing themselves. It sounds like they are trying to maximize the number of kids at Sherando within 4A boundaries to better their odds of success. I have no problem with that, but when you jump over the line you bump up and shutup, it's not the VHSL's problem. Deal with the consequences of your actions! Seems a common theme in my posts the last 2 days with Northside yesterday and Sherando today. No offense intended Hamspear & Shruikan.
Mike , I have been saying this all along, it's not Sherando's faught. This is the result of lack of foresight and preperation by Frederick county public schools in my opinion. Everybody wants to some how blame the high school, but this is not the case. If I was the principal and /or AD at Sherando, I would be upset at my superiors for not taking care of this ahead of time by moving boundaries , making all high schools approximate equally populated. This new high school being built in 2019 to 2020 is 4 years late. Heck if Loudoun County can build a new high school every year, then why can't Frederick County build one every 15 years? Frederick County is not a poor county by no means. As far as scheduling goes yeh, you can still play the district games, but that doesn't mean they will still want to. Why would 3A skyline, or 2A Strasburg or Central want to play Sherando 5A? Heck wouldn't surprise me if James wood or Millbrook or Handley dropped Sherando in football with some of the beatings they have taken in the last few years. Now they have reason to? Could have all been avoided with preperation. Don't blame people for being upset thinking Sherando is trying to stay out of 5A, because they are trying stay out of 5A. But the fault don't lay on them IMO.

Mike , I have been saying this all along, it's not Sherando's faught. This is the result of lack of foresight and preperation by Frederick county public schools in my opinion. Everybody wants to some how blame the high school, but this is not the case. If I was the principal and /or AD at Sherando, I would be upset at my superiors for not taking care of this ahead of time by moving boundaries , making all high schools approximate equally populated. This new high school being built in 2019 to 2020 is 4 years late. Heck if Loudoun County can build a new high school every year, then why can't Frederick County build one every 15 years? Frederick County is not a poor county by no means. As far as scheduling goes yeh, you can still play the district games, but that doesn't mean they will still want to. Why would 3A skyline, or 2A Strasburg or Central want to play Sherando 5A? Heck wouldn't surprise me if James wood or Millbrook or Handley dropped Sherando in football with some of the beatings they have taken in the last few years. Now they have reason to? Could have all been avoided with preperation. Don't blame people for being upset thinking Sherando is trying to stay out of 5A, because they are trying stay out of 5A. But the fault don't lay on them IMO.
Nice post Hamspear and Mike. I think you both have valid points. Personally, from the information provided I think the school board administration dropped the ball. Unfortunately, Sherando may pay the price.

I really hope they stay in 4a. They are a consistent contender and a fun team to follow. I am a traditionalist and really dont like constant changes, but reality says if your attendance #'s go up you go up. The appeal will be interesting.

Based on Clarkesfan's post statistics make me wonder if James Wood get preferential treatment regarding redistricting lines. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Nice post Hamspear and Mike. I think you both have valid points. Personally, from the information provided I think the school board administration dropped the ball. Unfortunately, Sherando may pay the price.

I really hope they stay in 4a. They are a consistent contender and a fun team to follow. I am a traditionalist and really dont like constant changes, but reality says if your attendance #'s go up you go up. The appeal will be interesting.

Based on Clarkesfan's post statistics make me wonder if James Wood get preferential treatment regarding redistricting lines. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Well, James Wood is the oldest of the High Schools in Frederick County. Whether preferential treatment is involved is beyond me though. Each of the High Schools are located within their attendance zones. I don't know about advanced/specific classes only offered at one school that causes duplication in the ADM numbers. Don't have any kids attending there anymore. I have 2 nieces that went to Sherando, all other nieces and nephews went to Clarke. I have others on my side of the family that went to Patriot HS.

This is all such nonsense. Every principal in Virginia knows EXACTLY how many students are enrolled in their school at all times. These numbers are not just used for sports, they are the bottom line funding mechanism as well as the most significant marker for state testing, on time graduation rates, US Dep't of Agriculture money, Title IX funding and dozens of other budget and educational baselines. These numbers are one of the most fundamental parts of modern school administration, and every administrator is aware at all times of not just enrollment numbers, but McKinney-Vento students, neglected/delinquent students, ESOL students, AP students, homebound students, alternative placements, and numerous other categories of attendance or status. These numbers are not calculated once, they all begin at the school level, and they are checked, rechecked and signed off on at every level. Students are enrolled in a school, not a district, so wherever they enrolled is where they will be counted for these numbers. It is completely ridiculous that with the importance of these numbers and the way they are collected repeatedly throughout the year and with the number of people that work with them on a regular basis that a 'mistake' was made that no one was aware of - these state reports are signed off on by multiple people, so it cannot be said that the school district let Sherando down - Sherando is who reports the numbers in the first place!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT